New Fire & Smoke Alarm Standard

Tommy Brown

I have seen adverts on TV regarding this and looking for JBK knowledge on people who have already actioned this.

Particularly product advice, cost effective, ease of install, where to buy, etc.

In short you now need at least one smoke alarm in main passageways (downstairs hallway, upstairs landing) main area (lounge) and a heat alarm in the kitchen.

But critically all have to be interlinked.

In my case, i need 3 new smoke alrms and a heat alarm.

This should be fairly straightforward to do yourself with the correct products. But I still think it will be upwards of £150  and a lot more if you get an electrician to do it for you.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

Screenshot_20210822-112705_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210822-112835_Chrome.jpg

Looks a decent offer and 49 reviews averaging 4.8/5 suggests it should be okay.

If anybody here buys a set I'd treat that review with less scepticism than those 49 :lol: 

highlandjambo3

I got “fire angel” kit installed two years ago by an electrician…..kit cost about £100 for 3 interlinked heat/smoke detectors….10 year battery life as well.  You don’t need to be an electrician as they are fairly easy to install but, we needed a qualified professional for certification (guest house)

The problem I have is, due to having a fire in the living room that sometimes gives a blow down (never serious but enough to set off a smoke detector), there's no way I can install a smoke detector there.

Just now, superjack said:

The problem I have is, due to having a fire in the living room that sometimes gives a blow down (never serious but enough to set off a smoke detector), there's no way I can install a smoke detector there.

Sorry if Im being thick.

Do you mean that it would get set off too often? Especially when the house is empty.

5 minutes ago, superjack said:

i think that is what the heat detectors are for, it is why you would put them in the kitchen and smoke detectors in places like bedrooms/halls

25 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sorry if Im being thick.

Do you mean that it would get set off too often? Especially when the house is empty.

Not when the house is empty as we dont light the fire. It is only when the wind is from the north east that this happens. Generally we wont light it when the wind is that direction, but sometimes get caught out if the wi d changes direction or when it's up to the wife to work it out.

24 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i think that is what the heat detectors are for, it is why you would put them in the kitchen and smoke detectors in places like bedrooms/halls

That's what I'm thinking, I'll put a heat detector in the loving room, but it looks like you should have a smoke detector there.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

That's what I'm thinking, I'll put a heat detector in the loving room, but it looks like you should have a smoke detector there.

i imagine what you have seen are guidelines and placement would be subject to things that are in each room such as a wood burning fire

All this chat of smoke detectors but no mention of carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure you have the latter as well if you're using gas.

8 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Git mine done last year. Just let spark get on with it, so have no idea about product type. Cost me £220

How many detectors were included?

Used this firm ( all jambos ) to fit the below mentioned alarms earlier this year. Also having a new house alarm fitted by them in the next two weeks. 

https://www.edinburghalarmcompany.co.uk/

Had The Edinburgh Alarm Company install 1 x heat alarm, 4 x smoke alarms & 3 x CO2 for my house. Nice tidy job without any mess. Excellent communication and turned up when they said they would. Would highly recommend!

According to this new legislation I would need to get a heat alarm in the kitchen and a smoke alarm in the main living room (I already have 2 linked hard wired smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide alarm (near the bolier).

The problem I have is that to do that would mean that the heat alarm in the kitchen would be a matter of a few feet away from the downstairs smoke alarm which is immediately outside the kitchen door and what is traditionally the main living room, a smoke alarm in there would again only be a matter of feet away from the downstairs smoke alarm.

Upstairs it's the same, as the smoke alarm is immediately outside all the bedrooms and upstairs is where (in our house) is the room which is occupied the most, my office and it has a smoke alarm immediately outside it. 

This will save lives, no doubts about that especially in many substandard housing, however there will also be thousands of houses where these new alarms won't provide any real extra cover from the existing cover you already have, such as in my house.

3 hours ago, superjack said:

Your challenge is to get that one set off. :lol: 

Just watch Insurance companies refuse to pay out if they consider your detectors not up to standard. There will be a lot of pensioners who will not have a clue

I have an open plan living-room/kitchen. I have a wired heat alarm in the kitchen area ceiling connected to a wired smoke alarm in the hallway. Is this sufficient?

Edited by Ray Gin

47 minutes ago, inspector said:

Just watch Insurance companies refuse to pay out if they consider your detectors not up to standard. There will be a lot of pensioners who will not have a clue

Also I'd imagine it will be something which will have to be on your home report, if your selling or buying a house.

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Also I'd imagine it will be something which will have to be on your home report, if your selling or buying a house.

This was my thought to Jimbo

2 hours ago, inspector said:

Won't happen unless it's made  a specific condition, which it probably won't be

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I have an open plan living-room/kitchen. I have a wired heat alarm in the kitchen area ceiling connected to a wired smoke alarm in the hallway. Is this sufficient?

Not sure RG.

I suspect you may have to put a further smoke alarm in.

They must be interlinked,  are yours?

I assume it means if one triggers, they all go off together. Are yours interlinked?

Edited by Tommy Brown

26 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not sure RG.

I suspect you may have to put a further smoke alarm in.

They must be interlinked,  are yours?

I assume it means if one triggers, they all go off together. Are yours interlinked?

Yeah they are. 

highlandjambo3
19 hours ago, IronJambo said:

All this chat of smoke detectors but no mention of carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure you have the latter as well if you're using gas.

I think the gas boiler annual service (if you have this done) includes fitting a fairly cheap carbon monoxide detector…….it’s not an option, gas safe engineers must include this.

37 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I think the gas boiler annual service (if you have this done) includes fitting a fairly cheap carbon monoxide detector…….it’s not an option, gas safe engineers must include this.

I have a British Gas service contract that I pay for, they don't supply a carbon monoxide dectector and never have, as long as I've been with them. However, they do advise that you should have one in place when they fill in their service report.

22 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

£120 + vat  sorry to be a pedant

I seen that yesterday, cheers Milky

Its bang on what I need.

22 hours ago, Boof said:

Looks a decent offer and 49 reviews averaging 4.8/5 suggests it should be okay.

If anybody here buys a set I'd treat that review with less scepticism than those 49 :lol: 

That’s the ones I got.Easy to link and install them.

1 hour ago, obua said:

That’s the ones I got.Easy to link and install them.

Cheers mate, they seem to bethe best value that I can find.

I'm struggling to decide about whether to foot the cost or just letting my children burn.

Grown up decisions can be so difficult. 

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

I have a British Gas service contract that I pay for, they don't supply a carbon monoxide dectector and never have, as long as I've been with them. However, they do advise that you should have one in place when they fill in their service report.

I used to be with British Gas….paid a monthly fee for breakdown cover which included an annual service.  When I needed to replace my old boiler, I almost fell for their “£400 off for existing customers” pitch……after some independent advice, it became very clear that the British Gas sales person, who knew absolutely nothing about plumbing/water pressure etc….just wanted to sell me the biggest and most expensive boiler on their books, particularly when I asked about 3 showers operating at the same time (guest house) his eyes lit up. 

As it turned out we needed our own unvented cylinder water tank supply (300 litres of hot water) as well as upgraded pipes from 15 to 22mm and, a flexible hose installed under the ground floor, none of which British gas would do,  a new Worcester 27i system boiler was also needed.   We had all that work done for less than the cost of the British Gas boiler…..we also have an annual service for £70 and breakdown cover to boot……with FREE carbon monoxide detector.

As it turned out, it made not a jot of difference how fancy the British Gas boiler was as it can only deal with the water flow input into the house I.e if the boiler can output 40 litres of hot water per minute but, there is only 20 litres of cold water per minute coming into the house then 20 litres of hot water is all your getting.  I found out later that the shower flow would not have changed in the slightest with the new British Gas boiler.

I now have 3 showers with high output even if they are all on together.  No fall in pressure when you turn any taps on either. My kitchen sink has a single output spout with a single tap/lever to control the temperature and surprisingly the hot flow is more powerful than the cold flow.

British gas…..beware.

Dagger Is Back

So these things have to be ceiling mounted? 

Wonder why they can’t be left on window sills etc

Don’t fancy having these ugly looking things hanging from the ceiling 

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

So these things have to be ceiling mounted? 

Wonder why they can’t be left on window sills etc

Don’t fancy having these ugly looking things hanging from the ceiling 

Joke right???

smoke rises so, alarm goes off as soon as smoke in sensed.  Pop it on a window ledge and it’s likely you’ll be dead before the alarm detects smoke.

Dagger Is Back
26 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Joke right???

smoke rises so, alarm goes off as soon as smoke in sensed.  Pop it on a window ledge and it’s likely you’ll be dead before the alarm detects smoke.

No I wasn’t joking!!!

I know smoke rises. I also know how a smoke alarm works. 

My existing alarms are on window sills. The fire brigade didn’t have an issue with their siting when the wife asked them to check the house over when we moved back in albeit that was three years ago.

I take your point though and checked up the fire service website. Ceiling it is!

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

No I wasn’t joking!!!

I know smoke rises. I also know how a smoke alarm works. 

My existing alarms are on window sills. The fire brigade didn’t have an issue with their siting when the wife asked them to check the house over when we moved back in albeit that was three years ago.

I take your point though and checked up the fire service website. Ceiling it is!

Did the fire officer 3 years ago look anything like this…….

😂

5C032C9B-5566-4EC3-94D4-0D781B93AE63.jpeg

Dagger Is Back
23 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Did the fire officer 3 years ago look anything like this…….

😂

5C032C9B-5566-4EC3-94D4-0D781B93AE63.jpeg

No I don’t think so. 

• 2 months later...
On 22/08/2021 at 11:47, milky_26 said:

i've never used them but you can get 3 smoke and one heat alarms that are linked for £120 from here

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/firehawk-w-series-sealed-battery-wireless-3-smoke-1-heat-alarm-kit/

@RoyCropper

I got the set in link above. 

3 Smoke Alarms + 1 Heat Alarm

Easy to link and install, that easy I managed it.