Football players, COVID and not getting jabbed

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Jambof3tornado
40 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I'm all for vaccination but we should remember it only lowers the risks and even some who are vaccinated will still get Covid

However lets lower the risks and help the fight against the spread of the virus by getting vaccinated

Clearly the story doesnt say if he's been vaccinated but I do think players as role models have extra responsibilities.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taffin

• escobri

• Bazzas right boot

• MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Clearly the story doesnt say if he's been vaccinated but I do think players as role models have extra responsibilities.

And an obligation to their employer to not cost them unnecessary wasted money, a weakened team or risk games being cancelled with associated lost money and costs.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

Souttar was an early covid conspiracy div IIRC, I mind a couple of tweets 

Depends what's in their contracts, there might well be something to do with not taking all available measures to stay healthy or refusing medical attention recommended by the employer, they are athletes 

They aren’t slaves. 

Jambof3tornado
16 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

And an obligation to their employer to not cost them unnecessary wasted money, a weakened team or risk games being cancelled with associated lost money and costs.

Lacazette still struggling, Dean Henderson too. I dont think forcing vaccines is the right way to do it but the uptake in 18 year olds plus isnt that great, popular role models need to stand up now.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

They aren’t slaves. 

No, they get paid for starters!

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that professional athletes may well have a clause of that nature, or find it a future condition of insurance. Clubs may find their overall premiums go up if unvaccinated players are employed and may choose accordingly.

Who knows, it's been a crazy couple of years

Back to 2005
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think a big incentive to get vaccinated will be if the insurance companies refuse to cover you for long term illness or damage caused by covid, especially if you refuse to be vaccinated.  That could easily be deemed that you knew the risks but failed to take adequate prevention which could invalidate your players insurance.

What about insurance covering you for damage by the vaccine?

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You do realise that taking the vaccine does not stop you getting the virus or stop you passing it on?  Delighted to hear players that are all young and for are not choosing to put themselves at risk. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

What about insurance covering you for damage by the vaccine?

What damage?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You do realise that taking the vaccine does not stop you getting the virus or stop you passing it on?  Delighted to hear players that are all young and for are not choosing to put themselves at risk. 

Yes I do. But it vastly reduces the risk of severe illness which has been happening to fit people in their 20s and 30s. It also prevents a percentage of people getting it.

So apart from all the facts you missed out in your post I agree with you 🤪

As a fan of the club I’d expect you to want all of our players to ensure that they did everything they could to always be match fit for games and didn’t risk the health of their team mates or the finances or performance of the club and team. 

I must be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Back to 2005
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yes I do. But it vastly reduces the risk of severe illness which has been happening to fit people in their 20s and 30s. It also prevents a percentage of people getting it.

So apart from all the facts you missed out in your post I agree with you.

As a fan of the club I’d expect you to want all of our players to ensure that they did everything they could to always be match fit for games and didn’t risk the health of their team mates or the finances or performance of the club and team. 

I must be wrong 🤷‍♂️

I believe its a personal and individuals choice. Weigh up the risk of an experimental vaccine against the risk of covid to a healthy young person.

Any impact on match fitness is not hugely important in the grey scheme of things.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Pointless debating with anti-vaxx brigade. Been enough of that group died of Covid in the last few weeks to know that such discussions are pointless.

Back to 2005
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Pointless debating with anti-vaxx brigade. Been enough of that group died of Covid in the last few weeks to know that such discussions are pointless.

Plenty of deaths who are double vaxxed too.  I'm not anti vaxx by the way. 

Ally Alexander
12 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

One could say the sAme about the vaccination brigade.   Many  of the eminent medical professionals who are labelled as anti-vaccine state that they are not anti-vaccination but either believe in informed consent or wish to stop this so-called vaccine due to the high number of reported side effects including, of course, death.

Edited by Ally Alexander

I'm not anti-vax either. I'm doubled vaxxed and would encourage everyone to do the same. I don't agree with the frothing at the mouth outrage at those who choose not to.

I'd hope all our players are double vaxxed but I won't be bothered if they're not unless it causes them to miss games...which could happen anyway (see Pulisic for Chelsea).

Bazzas right boot

Anybody having to work especially without social distance and ppe should have been vaccinated after  front line workers if they wanted it imo. 

Said that a while back. 

Football players were putting themselves massively at risk for a sport. 

Going forward Healthcare for folk that refuse the vaccine may come with consequences in the future, especially if unvaccinated folk are more Likley to pass it on then Healthcare professionals may also feel the should not put themselves at higher risk for someone who has refused a simple thing that mitigates the virus effects. 

It could be compared to not putting a seat belt on knowing full well you will crash at some point, then wanting help when you smash through the window face first-despite being told that a seat belt  was safer and was not there to trap you. 

Plenty to come about this in the future. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Anybody having to work especially without social distance and ppe should have been vaccinated after  front line workers if they wanted it imo. 

Said that a while back. 

Football players were putting themselves massively at risk for a sport. 

Going forward Healthcare for folk that refuse the vaccine may come with consequences in the future, especially if unvaccinated folk are more Likley to pass it on then Healthcare professionals may also feel the should not put themselves at higher risk for someone who has refused a simple thing that mitigates the virus effects. 

It could be compared to not putting a seat belt on knowing full well you will crash at some point, then wanting help when you smash through the window face first-despite being told that a seat belt  was safer and was not there to trap you. 

Plenty to come about this in the future. 

Bizarre outlook. Plenty folk have accidents at work because they didn't wear appropriate and often mandatory PPE. Should they be refused healthcare or should it come at a "consequence"? 

If you have had the vaccine there should be literally nothing for you to worry about or concern yourself with if someone else hasn't. Have you ever questioned whether or not someone sitting beside you on a bus has had a flu vaccination? I can honestly say I have never ever wondered if someone has had a vaccination for anything. 

Edited by 151

4 hours ago, sac said:

The views on this thread clearly demonstrates that the govt and the media are doing a damn fine job of confusing people on the merits and pitfalls surrounding the COVID vaccine.

The scientists, virologists, and people in the medical profession is where I prefer to seek information. 
Personally I’m relieved that the vaccine is not mandatory.

And quite rightly so.

Everyone must get the vaccines, even if they don't want to. The reason for this is because they don't work properly. It's not that people should be forced against their will, however, we all want to be, as well as having a right to be, safe, so, well, you know. 

Weren't you the one that told us we would all die if we didn't go out and buy as much toilet paper as we could, from wherever we could.

Yes that was me..... Are you dead.... No, you're not. I don't lie. Now run along and get the shots, vaccines. 

We didn't do the toilet paper thing.  

Doctor FinnBarr

No names, no pack drill but a good friend of mine tested positive after several training sessions at the NUFC training ground early in the pre season stuff. He's since been double jabbed which he was instructed to do.

He's only a joiner employed by them mind.

:gok:

HamishMcGonagall
9 hours ago, Smithee said:

Souttar was an early covid conspiracy div IIRC, I mind a couple of tweets 

Depends what's in their contracts, there might well be something to do with not taking all available measures to stay healthy or refusing medical attention recommended by the employer, they are athletes 

Souttar is definitely still a, as you put it, covid conspiracy div. No idea if he's been vaccinated at all though.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, niblick1874 said:

Everyone must get the vaccines, even if they don't want to. The reason for this is because they don't work properly. It's not that people should be forced against their will, however, we all want to be, as well as having a right to be, safe, so, well, you know. 

Weren't you the one that told us we would all die if we didn't go out and buy as much toilet paper as we could, from wherever we could.

Yes that was me..... Are you dead.... No, you're not. I don't lie. Now run along and get the shots, vaccines. 

We didn't do the toilet paper thing.  

Wasn't going to shake your hand anyway

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, 151 said:

Bizarre outlook. Plenty folk have accidents at work because they didn't wear appropriate and often mandatory PPE. Should they be refused healthcare or should it come at a "consequence"? 

If you have had the vaccine there should be literally nothing for you to worry about or concern yourself with if someone else hasn't. Have you ever questioned whether or not someone sitting beside you on a bus has had a flu vaccination? I can honestly say I have never ever wondered if someone has had a vaccination for anything. 

Your first part is a valid argument and although my initial answer is no there is a debate to be had. 

The difference imo is Folk can forget to put on glasses or a hat, maybe they did 100% before and forgot once. 

It was a mistake leading to an accident. 

Refusing a vaccine is a conscious risk that you are taking. That is the massive difference here. 

A better comparison would be a smoker who gets 1 life saving operation, gets told to stop smoking, continues to smoke then turns up 2 years later with the same issue. 

Even here, the difference. Also, Like your example - the smoker and the person in the accident can not make the people helping them seriously ill. 

So there are two differences there- 

Mistake v conscious decision 

Injuries / disease v a virus that can seriously infect others. 

Covid is a different virus from the flu)( how many doctors / nurses died of catching the flu v covid?) and Tbh if I was a nurse or doctor dealing with Covid patients then yes I'd be concerned for my personal and families safety if non vaccinated patients were putting me at more risk. If  vaccinations make you 100% immune then it wouldn't matter. 

However, Indications are that non vaccinated folk pass the virus on quicker and easier and even if vaccinated it is not 100% protection, so why should a person put themselves at risk for another who has chosen to put themselves and others at MORE risk than was needed when there is an easy option to reduce this. 

It would be a very fair concern imo especially in a ward with Covid patients. 

We are not there yet, but I think it will be an issue if things stay as they are. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

12 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Lacazette still struggling, Dean Henderson too. I dont think forcing vaccines is the right way to do it but the uptake in 18 year olds plus isnt that great, popular role models need to stand up now.

I don’t get how 73% isn’t great 

Forcing people to take it would be very north Korea. Its a personal choice, thankfully the majority of people are sensible and see these things are done through proper processes and have had it. I'd imagine take up is quite high amount pro footballers. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Your first part is a valid argument and although my initial answer is no there is a debate to be had. 

The difference imo is Folk can forget to put on glasses or a hat, maybe they did 100% before and forgot once. 

It was a mistake leading to an accident. 

Refusing a vaccine is a conscious risk that you are taking. That is the massive difference here. 

A better comparison would be a smoker who gets 1 life saving operation, gets told to stop smoking, continues to smoke then turns up 2 years later with the same issue. 

Even here, the difference. Also, Like your example - the smoker and the person in the accident can not make the people helping them seriously ill. 

So there are two differences there- 

Mistake v conscious decision 

Injuries / disease v a virus that can seriously infect others. 

Covid is a different virus from the flu)( how many doctors / nurses died of catching the flu v covid?) and Tbh if I was a nurse or doctor dealing with Covid patients then yes I'd be concerned for my personal and families safety if non vaccinated patients were putting me at more risk. If  vaccinations make you 100% immune then it wouldn't matter. 

However, Indications are that non vaccinated folk pass the virus on quicker and easier and even if vaccinated it is not 100% protection, so why should a person put themselves at risk for another who has chosen to put themselves and others at MORE risk than was needed when there is an easy option to reduce this. 

It would be a very fair concern imo especially in a ward with Covid patients. 

We are not there yet, but I think it will be an issue if things stay as they are. 

what about people who choose to go trekking in some tropical jungle and comeback with one of those highly contagious dangerous diseases - do they get treated

the smoker etc are affecting other peoples health (albeit maybe not the nurse etc) in various ways in particular by taking up valuable resources of the nhs while others have to wait as their non-self inflicted cancer etc gets worse (not my personal view to judge whether anyone’s illness is self-inflicted just to be clear)

what about the vaccinated person who takes no other precautions versus the vaccinated person who does to further reduce the risk of catching/passing on covid

the overweight people - taking away vital nhs resources from more responsible people (not my personal view but some people may believe they are less deserving just like the unvaccinated)

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

19 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Personally think everyone should get it but no one should be forced to do so, as you say, it's their body, their choice. 

Fair do’s but I also reckon if you have not been vaccinated you can’t then complain if venues refuse you access. (Medical exemptions apart of course)

Here’s a scenario. Entirely possible.

Next May we have a season defining double header. A 3rd place play off on the last game of the season then a Scottish cup final a week later. 

Hearts being Hearts there is a covid outbreak at Riccarton. Every player has been double jabbed and only has to provide a negative PcR test. Apart from Craig Gordon and John Souttar who chose not to. Both have to self isolate and miss both games. 

I doubt the same folk would be applauding them for their personal choice then.

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

what about people who choose to go trekking in some tropical jungle and comeback with one of those highly contagious dangerous diseases - do they get treated

the smoker etc are affecting other peoples health (albeit maybe not the nurse etc) in various ways in particular by taking up valuable resources of the nhs while others have to wait as their non-self inflicted cancer etc gets worse

what about the vaccinated person who takes no other precautions versus the vaccinated person who does to further reduce the risk of catching/passing on covid

the overweight people - taking away vital nhs resources from more responsible people (not my personal view but some people may believe they are less deserving just like the unvaccinated)

As I said, it's a valid argument and can be broken down as much as you like. 

The difference with Covid is that it's global ( not niche), there is a vaccine to reduce the effect on yourself and more importantly it's ability to spread to others. 

In terms of folk hiking etc, I believe they should have separate Insurrance( most probably do) and despite my dad's multiple health issues the fact he had his first heart attack 20 years ago, has had 2 more and still smokes boils my piss. He's wasting NHS money and resources despite being warned and treated initially. 

Definitely a debate for his sort, already for example you don't get a transplant if you break certain rules. 

You can go right down to a cyclist not wearing a helmet who then gets scudded and his head caved in when it could have been prevented. 

Covid is different as it's global, it can't be avoided in society and refusing a vaccine can effect others. 

Unfortunately I think it strengthens the arguments for a insurance or teir based health system which imo this tory government will at some point push. 

A shed topic for sure tho. 

10 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

No names, no pack drill but a good friend of mine tested positive after several training sessions at the NUFC training ground early in the pre season stuff. He's since been double jabbed which he was instructed to do.

He's only a joiner employed by them mind.

:gok:

Still a better player than most of em I’ll bet

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Hesh said:

I don’t get how 73% isn’t great 

1st doses only mind. Its creeping up on the 2nd doses but could be better. We should always look to improve in everything we do.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

As I said, it's a valid argument and can be broken down as much as you like. 

The difference with Covid is that it's global ( not niche), there is a vaccine to reduce the effect on yourself and more importantly it's ability to spread to others. 

In terms of folk hiking etc, I believe they should have separate Insurrance( most probably do) and despite my dad's multiple health issues the fact he had his first heart attack 20 years ago, has had 2 more and still smokes boils my piss. He's wasting NHS money and resources despite being warned and treated initially. 

Definitely a debate for his sort, already for example you don't get a transplant if you break certain rules. 

You can go right down to a cyclist not wearing a helmet who then gets scudded and his head caved in when it could have been prevented. 

Covid is different as it's global, it can't be avoided in society and refusing a vaccine can effect others. 

Unfortunately I think it strengthens the arguments for a insurance or teir based health system which imo this tory government will at some point push. 

A shed topic for sure tho. 

there are overweight people all round the globe mate and it’s fairly well known how to mitigate against it

i thinks it’s a minefield but as you say maybe in future might be covered by insurance-based treatment service which wouldn’t be perfect but at least wouldn’t be singling-out just one group (especially a group potentially disproportionately represented by the bame community)

The difference is you can't catch obesity off a fat person. If a hill walker falls down a hill you won't break a leg as a consequence.
Of course people have an individual right to vaccinate or not vaccinate. But there is a social, collective, set of rights and obligations too and we all contribute to an benefit from that. If you choose not to vaccinate then you choose to put at risk and endanger that collective right. It seems reasonable to me that there can be consequences to follow. If a person excludes themselves from the collective health it follows that they voluntarily exclude themselves from other collective activities too. 

12 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

I believe its a personal and individuals choice. Weigh up the risk of an experimental vaccine against the risk of covid to a healthy young person.

Any impact on match fitness is not hugely important in the grey scheme of things.

Vaccines that went through just as stringent testing as any other vaccines, you mean.

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

there are overweight people all round the globe mate and it’s fairly well known how to mitigate against it

i thinks it’s a minefield but as you say maybe in future might be covered by insurance-based treatment service which wouldn’t be perfect but at least wouldn’t be singling-out just one group (especially a group potentially disproportionately represented by the bame community)

Agree but fatties along with smokers do not put others at risk or the people they are being cared by at risk during the treatment. This is the big difference with covid.

Also, a  big fatty on the train doesn't mean that in a weeks time I'll be a big tubby as well.

It does as you say  open the discussion up, for example-

If companies legally make and serve shite food and tobacco then another argument is that if the governments sanction the sale of these products then universal healthcare should cover it, if not tighten up the regs on these products so folk can't readily buy them.

Again, with covid that is not applicable.

It is a minefield but Covid is pretty unique, and imo could be the catalyst (unfortunately) for insurance based healthcare in this country. The tories will be all over this behind the scenes, folk won't realise until it's too late. I do digress.

Bazzas right boot

That is the first university banned students not vaccinated. ( unvaccinated folk can't live there or take part in group/ social activities)

Hartpury uni.

Lots of this to follow across all areas or work and leisure I reckon.

Just like it is a persons choice not to be vaccinated it is an employers or business choice not to allow access to unvaccinated people I guess.

It's a ******* when that freedom thing works both ways and kicks you in the nuts!

20 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Agree. Think clubs should look to offer incentives to players who take vaccines, or get doctors in to chat with them about their concerns

13 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I do get the debate about people not vaccinated being a risk to others.

But the way to encourage people to get the vaccine is the soft, encouraging, educating. Rules and enforcement put more people off. 

Just now, escobri said:

If a player say worth £20 million had an adverse reaction and could not play again who would be liable?

Well you are far more likely to get an adverse reaction from Covid. So the same question applies for not getting the vaccine. 

Be interesting to see how clubs deal with the players who get long Covid. Has already happened. 

Dennis Reynolds

I will and do encourage everyone to get the vaccine but everyone should have the right to say no if they so choose. Businesses should also have the choice though. 🤷  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Agree but fatties along with smokers do not put others at risk or the people they are being cared by at risk during the treatment. This is the big difference with covid.

Also, a  big fatty on the train doesn't mean that in a weeks time I'll be a big tubby as well.

It does as you say  open the discussion up, for example-

If companies legally make and serve shite food and tobacco then another argument is that if the governments sanction the sale of these products then universal healthcare should cover it, if not tighten up the regs on these products so folk can't readily buy them.

Again, with covid that is not applicable.

It is a minefield but Covid is pretty unique, and imo could be the catalyst (unfortunately) for insurance based healthcare in this country. The tories will be all over this behind the scenes, folk won't realise until it's too late. I do digress.

“a big fatty” is apparently more likely to give you covid on the train tho compared to someone who looks after themselves better (for the collective benefit some may say)

not sure how a vaccinated “fatty” compares to unvaccinated person who has otherwise looked after themselves better for the collective benefit

fundamentally if neilson provided us with a more exciting brand of winning  football we’d be off our seats so often (if allowed) that there would be much less “fatties” and any vaccine hesitants would be so desperate not to miss out on the neilson experience they’d all be double jagged

neilsons fault :(

Dennis Reynolds
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

“a big fatty” is apparently more likely to give you covid on the train tho compared to someone who looks after themselves better (for the collective benefit some may say)

not sure how a vaccinated “fatty” compares to unvaccinated person who has otherwise looked after themselves better for the collective benefit

fundamentally if neilson provided us with a more exciting brand of winning  football we’d be off our seats so often (if allowed) that there would be much less “fatties” and any vaccine hesitants would be so desperate not to miss out on the neilson experience they’d all be double jagged

:yas:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Think it's wires crossed here. 

What I meant is that if someone is fat, I can't catch fatness from them and they can't pass it on to nurses etc. 

This is were covid is different, it is not only about them, it is about the workplace, the community and society in general. 

Being vaccinated benefits everyone, not only them. 

Craig Levein will be happy Bob is getting the blame tho. 😁

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

But the way to encourage people to get the vaccine is the soft, encouraging, educating. Rules and enforcement put more people off. 

Pay folk £1000, then let's see how many non vaxxers suddenly change their mind. 

It's just folks heads being full of mince. 

Litterally had a debate with an overweight person who was drinking and smoking citing that long term concerns where why he was holding off. 

It cracks me up. 

Some folk are genuine and live a certain lifestyle others are just full of shite and Pick and choose. 

Parents who throw an I pad at thier kids, feed them MacDonalds, blue juice and themselves take a line at the weekend while firing a bottle of wine down their throat every other day have a cheek claiming the vaccine isn't tested enough and they are un sure of the long term effects. 

Throw in the joint and fag smokers as well. 

It cracks me up. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Think it's wires crossed here. 

What I meant is that if someone is fat, I can't catch fatness from them and they can't pass it on to nurses etc. 

This is were covid is different, it is not only about them, it is about the workplace, the community and society in general. 

Being vaccinated benefits everyone, not only them. 

Craig Levein will be happy Bob is getting the blame tho. 😁

yes that’s a fair point but fat people are more of a risk to you than thin people (assuming others things the same) so by not looking after their weight they are putting you at increased risk (whatever that increase is)

that’s one reason why I take a breath before saying certain demographics are causing more issues than others

i understand the desire for vaccinations  it’s just not quite as straight-forward as people would like it to be (or understand) when apportioning responsibility for bad outcomes

Harry Potter
21 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Some folk just dont like getting told what to do , ive had my jags, will wear a mask, pretty bad form though if a club

pays big money for a player who becomes ill, and not playing due to lack of taking a vaccine. 

Think the clubs would be within their rights to fine a player 1 or 2 weeks wages if their decision led them to miss games. As mentioned previously, it’s entirely plausible they would be requested to isolate after a close contact or returning from a red list country (although not sure how many europa league teams / countries are on the red list).

It’s akin to turning up to pre-season massively overweight, or injuring yourself when taking part in an activity you know you shouldn’t be doing.

Quite rightly it is their body and their decision, but freedom of choice doesn’t mean freedom from consequences. 

8 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Think the clubs would be within their rights to fine a player 1 or 2 weeks wages if their decision led them to miss games. As mentioned previously, it’s entirely plausible they would be requested to isolate after a close contact or returning from a red list country (although not sure how many europa league teams / countries are on the red list).

It’s akin to turning up to pre-season massively overweight, or injuring yourself when taking part in an activity you know you shouldn’t be doing.

Quite rightly it is their body and their decision, but freedom of choice doesn’t mean freedom from consequences. 

If they get vaccinated they can still catch/pass it, Plus risk an adverse reaction from a vaccine for a virus that they probably ain't gonna die from( or even know they've caught it). Tough choice.

1 minute ago, escobri said:

If they get vaccinated they can still catch/pass it, Plus risk an adverse reaction from a vaccine for a virus that they probably ain't gonna die from( or even know they've caught it). Tough choice.

I’m not going to argue with conspiracy nuts about vaccine efficacy vs acquired immunity.

As mentioned, their choice but freedom of choice doesn’t mean freedom of consequences. Fine 2 weeks wages or get jabbed. Tough choice