Football players, COVID and not getting jabbed

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/20/steve-bruce-admits-a-lot-of-newcastle-players-have-not-been-vaccinated-covid

Interesting article re Newcastle United and how COVID completely ****ed up their keeper.

I’d say that pro footballers should be getting sanctioned by their club if the refuse vaccines. It’s not just the risk of hospitalisation (25% of hospitalisations are under 30), long Covid needs to be considered.

I presume we don’t know if any of our team have refused to get jabbed?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taffin

• escobri

• Bazzas right boot

• MoncurMacdonaldMercer

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/20/steve-bruce-admits-a-lot-of-newcastle-players-have-not-been-vaccinated-covid

Interesting article re Newcastle United and how COVID completely ****ed up their keeper.

I’d say that pro footballers should be getting sanctioned by their club if the refuse vaccines. It’s not just the risk of hospitalisation (25% of hospitalisations are under 30), long Covid needs to be considered.

I doubt they can or would publish that info. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, davemclaren said:

I doubt they can or would publish that info. 

I know - but general comments about whether or not there is an issue, like Steve Bruce has commented would be ok.

I don’t understand why pro players wouldn’t ensure that they did all they could to avoid COVID - for their one and general safety of public purposes

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Souttar was an early covid conspiracy div IIRC, I mind a couple of tweets 

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

Sanctioned how? If they don't want vaccinated then it's their choice surely? 

Depends what's in their contracts, there might well be something to do with not taking all available measures to stay healthy or refusing medical attention recommended by the employer, they are athletes 

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don’t understand why pro players wouldn’t ensure that they did all they could to avoid COVID - for their one and general safety of public purposes

Because the majority of them are thick, ignorant and think they are untouchable ? 

There will be plenty of clubs not mandating it so the reality is they'd just end up losing those players anyway so probably not a route they'll go down.

10 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Personally think everyone should get it but no one should be forced to do so, as you say, it's their body, their choice. 

25 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Because the majority of them are thick, ignorant and think they are untouchable ? 

Has absolutely no effect on you though. Strange outlook to have.

Just now, 151 said:

Has absolutely no effect on you though. Strange outlook to have.

Strange how  ?  its an opinion.

Entitled to one, no ? 

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Personally think everyone should get it but no one should be forced to do so, as you say, it's their body, their choice. 

Agree. Think clubs should look to offer incentives to players who take vaccines, or get doctors in to chat with them about their concerns

You'd think clubs would be raging about this. If players aren't double jagged, it means they aren't exempt from self isolating if they are a close contact.  That in turn runs the risk of games being cancelled or clubs having to field weakened teams, when it starts effecting prize money etc they'll not be happy. Will also mean they'll have to continue in stricter bubbles etc.

fabienleclerq
46 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Absolutely, I'm not arsed either way. I'll get both because the experts say its best but wanting people sanctioned at work for not having it is a bit nazi Germany for me. 

fabienleclerq
58 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Souttar was an early covid conspiracy div IIRC, I mind a couple of tweets 

Depends what's in their contracts, there might well be something to do with not taking all available measures to stay healthy or refusing medical attention recommended by the employer, they are athletes 

There's zero chance of a club enforcing it imo, I'd doubt it'd be particularly legal tbh. 

I get the fact that players cannot be forced into taking a jab or two

However there seems to be amongst players far too many above the norm suggesting too many are either too lazy or lacking the knowledge required to make a sensible decision

I am biased and for the life of me cannot work out why they would not happily do so having been given various exemptions over the last year in training etc never mind them knowing they have more risk of being a cause of its spread amongst friends, family and work colleagues

I will assume clubs have informed them of the benefits and given them every chance to get jabbed but if I was a player in the squad who had been jabbed and then found out a work colleague caught the virus which carries a risk of transmission why would I want to be next to him as part of a group of players.

It always boils down to those not vaccinated being happy to risk the lives of others and that is just wrong

NHL in America are already demanding only the vaccinated can play,train etc never mind spectator entry

Any Hearts player not vaccinated should not be playing or training (unless there is some medical reason)

Malinga the Swinga

NFL have already taken action in rules as to games that may be affected by Covid. Saw one team also dismissed one of their coaches after he refused to take vaccine.

Can see it happening here eventually.

It is a bit weird, why should those players get to decide what they do with their bodies? It should be up to me and other people surely...

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It is a bit weird, why should those players get to decide what they do with their bodies? It should be up to me and other people surely...

Yeah, just take any old steroids you want lads

I think a big incentive to get vaccinated will be if the insurance companies refuse to cover you for long term illness or damage caused by covid, especially if you refuse to be vaccinated.  That could easily be deemed that you knew the risks but failed to take adequate prevention which could invalidate your players insurance.

I agree that everybody has the right to determine what is injected into their body and their decision must be respected but I also have rights. The right not to be infected with a virus I have taken every precaution to protect myself from. If you do not want to protect yourself or others then you must expect to be excluded from large gatherings of people such as football matches, cinemas, pubs, theatres and restaurants or even busy workplaces. The authorities are battling a virus that kills and has killed millions of people across the world, and if you're not prepared to pick up the only weapon we have against this killer i.e., a vaccine, then society has a right to restrict your chances of infecting others.

tartofmidlothian

I think it's right that people should be allowed to choose what goes in their bodies or not, but it's also right that anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated should live as though they're still under Tier 5 lockdown to keep everyone else safe.

6 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I think it's right that people should be allowed to choose what goes in their bodies or not, but it's also right that anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated should live as though they're still under Tier 5 lockdown to keep everyone else safe.

I’d go along with this. Also any player who has to self-isolate as a result of not being double jagged be docked wages for the amount of time they are out. They could potentially miss 2-3 games 

36 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, just take any old steroids you want lads

Not permitting a substance isn't the same as insisting on taking one. Out of interest though, if people did decide the players should all take steroids would it be okay to make that mandatory? 

Roid up, or gtf type of thing.

2 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

Strange how  ?  its an opinion.

Entitled to one, no ? 

Yes of course mate. Just an unusual way of looking at things for me.

20 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

I agree that everybody has the right to determine what is injected into their body and their decision must be respected but I also have rights. The right not to be infected with a virus I have taken every precaution to protect myself from. If you do not want to protect yourself or others then you must expect to be excluded from large gatherings of people such as football matches, cinemas, pubs, theatres and restaurants or even busy workplaces. The authorities are battling a virus that kills and has killed millions of people across the world, and if you're not prepared to pick up the only weapon we have against this killer i.e., a vaccine, then society has a right to restrict your chances of infecting others.

I hate to break it to you but you don't have that right...

Or should I be looking to sue someone for the cold I caught over winter?

Also, if you're taking every precaution not to catch a widely circulating virus then surely you wouldn't be at all the events you've listed?

Also, the vaccine doesn't prevent you catching, or spreading it...so how does that align with your right not to catch it?

Edited by Taffin

11 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Everyone else would be vaccinated :facepalm:

What a bizarre outlook. It would be said people who would be at an apparent "higher risk".

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Not permitting a substance isn't the same as insisting on taking one. Out of interest though, if people did decide the players should all take steroids would it be okay to make that mandatory? 

Roid up, or gtf type of thing.

It isn't the same of course, but it's still the principle of Yes, you can do what you like with your body, but there may be consequences

Just now, Smithee said:

It isn't the same of course, but it's still the principle of Yes, you can do what you like with your body, but there may be consequences

Of course. That also applies to people's rights to attend things, a consequence of which is they may catch a virus (as had always been the case pre-covid) and the vaccine can't guarantee to prevent that anyway.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I hate to break it to you but you don't have that right...

Or should I be looking to sue someone for the cold I caught over winter?

Pointless getting into a debate with folk with they kind of entitled minsets mate. Probably still smoke around their kids, or get in their car after a "couple". Plenty people put others at risk every single day with all sorts of stuff that the victims have no control over.

The "victims" in the situations folk are hypothetising about here are the vaccinated. The "safe" ones. But yet the unvaccinated are to stay locked away to ensure everyone elses safety? :rofl:

Some might think they do not trust their vaccine.

Just now, 151 said:

Pointless getting into a debate with folk with they kind of entitled minsets mate. Probably still smoke around their kids, or get in their car after a "couple". Plenty people put others at risk every single day with all sorts of stuff that the victims have no control over.

The "victims" in the situations folk are hypothetising about here are the vaccinated. The "safe" ones. But yet the unvaccinated are to stay locked away to ensure everyone elses safety? :rofl:

Some might think they do not trust their vaccine.

It's hard to just let that kind of thing slide...I mean come on..."I've a right not to catch a virus". Really? 

The Treasurer

Difficult one this. Obviously it's a personal choice to be vaccinated or not, but a professional football player has a contractual obligation to ensure they are as fit as possible

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Of course. That also applies to people's rights to attend things, a consequence of which is they may catch a virus (as had always been the case pre-covid) and the vaccine can't guarantee to prevent that anyway.

But if only the vaccinated attended the chances of catching Covid would be far smaller

There is no 100% but better 99% than 85% for example

Some on here if we follow their logic would not isolate their children when they get measles for example because it's their right ignoring the impact on others..........I'm sure all their classmates parents would respect their wishes  😠

11 minutes ago, 151 said:

Yes of course mate. Just an unusual way of looking at things for me.

Again, an opinion

we are all entitled to them

All roads lead to Gorgie

It's personal choice whether anyone takes the vaccine or not but as footballers are role models and often visit hospices and other such places surely it isn't asking a lot for them to be jagged to protect others they may come into contact with!

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's hard to just let that kind of thing slide...I mean come on..."I've a right not to catch a virus". Really? 

I have a right to try as best I can to avoid catching a virus and you have no right to infect me just because you don't want take the vaccine which is freely available. There is not one single reason that stands up to scrutiny for not having the vaccination.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Good mate.👍

Niemi’s gloves

Would “red zones” be necessary if players were fully vaccinated? Players’ right to not be vaccinated implies need for red zones implies lower ground capacities implies less revenue for clubs. Answer: cut the wages of those who don’t get vaccinated at the earliest opportunity. 

22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yes indeed, but there are no general vaccines for other viruses, there is for Covid and it gives you a good chance of not catching it or passing it on to someone else.

ToadKiller Dog

Potentially a team could refuse to play a side who were feilding 2 or 3 unvaxed players .would be an interesting decision .

While it's maybe right that it's freedom of choice ,I can see insurers asking for it before they insure footballers coming certainly in terns of travel abroad . .

Just makes sense for them like everyone else to get it if able .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

I think the uptake among players will be high, especially if there's a chance they miss out on a game abroad or national call ups because the destination requires it.

Edited by kila

3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’d say that pro footballers should be getting sanctioned by their club if the refuse vaccines. 

Wow, there is people who genuinely hold that view? 

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

NHL in America are already demanding only the vaccinated can play,train etc never mind spectator entry

Any Hearts player not vaccinated should not be playing or training (unless there is some medical reason)

Easier in the states as employees have less rights.  

Getting vaccinated is and remains a personal choice.

Personally, I've had mine. I know others that aren't keen. Ultimately its a choice for the individual. Its not up to Newcastle as an employer (or any team for that matter) to demand the player gets vaccinated. 

3 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

Spot on, very simple & straight forward, most of them at that level will be so far detached from reality and day to day dealings of ordinary life, they will assume its beneath them, simply due to the bank balances they hold and issues that also brings....

3 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

I'm suprised the ruling bodies haven't stepped in to make it mandatory, ending this debate. When there's money at stake, that's usually when they lawyer up.  

Imagine some of the fittest men in the country not wanting the jag. Football is the best career these young, thick and ignorant men will ever get. Why potentially risk it?

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Jim goodwin tested positive now too.

Plenty more to come from covid. 

I'm all for vaccination but we should remember it only lowers the risks and even some who are vaccinated will still get Covid

However lets lower the risks and help the fight against the spread of the virus by getting vaccinated

The views on this thread clearly demonstrates that the govt and the media are doing a damn fine job of confusing people on the merits and pitfalls surrounding the COVID vaccine.

The scientists, virologists, and people in the medical profession is where I prefer to seek information. 
Personally I’m relieved that the vaccine is not mandatory.