Sheriffhall Roundabout

DB-14

will-i-am-a-jambo
12 hours ago, Dazo said:

Yep, really takes the new road argument out of the equation. Obviously this may push some of the problems down to the next roundabout if heading south. There really should have been a slip road straight onto the A1 at that junction. 

This is my concern that the flyover will just push the congestion to other areas and not really solve the issue. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• will-i-am-a-jambo

• OBE

• il Duce McTarkin

• Nucky Thompson

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

I can see why you think it will ease congestion and solve the bottleneck but imo l think it's just kicking the can down the road, the congestion will just end up in other areas. It's just a quick fix and ld rather tax payers money was spent on long term sustainable solutions rather than waste millions on something that is a short term solution at best.  

Right now theres 6 roads leading onto Sheriffhall, building a flyover would take a high % of traffic away from it. Fair enough it would start causing problems at the A1 roundabout so a southbound flyover slip would be needed and hopefully a slip from the A1 heading directly onto the bypass to cut out said roundabout.

You keep on about sustainable solutions but so far you just seem to be suggesting everyone gets a pushbike, do you actually work for the clowncil?

will-i-am-a-jambo
17 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s not a short term solution though is it.

Cars aren’t going anywhere so we need to address future requirements. I also struggle to believe a huge infrastructure project is a waste of tax payer monies considering the benefits it bring economically for areas in conjunction with improving connectivity.  

I understand and share, some of, your concern but you’re not understanding cause and effect.

Congestion/pollution isn’t increasing due to new roads/flyover , (which haven’t been built)  it’s because we fundamentally changed as a society.

We have significantly larger population, change in where people live etc are the causes of congestion. Traffic use will increase irrespective of a flyover happens or not mainly due to the fact there are more than 100,000 houses outside the bypass that didn’t exist before and increasing at a rapid rate. 

The bypass did initially ease congestion but that was 30 odd years ago. Things have changed a lot since it was designed and it doesn’t meet requirements now.

The m74 or whatever they call it has been a massive improvment to Glasgow’s congestion issue as far as I’m aware. It’s improved the situation despite your claims as far as I can tell. I suspect it will face similar issues to bypass in 10+ years. So I disagree these upgrades haven’t improved things even ignoring economic and  social benefits  Arguably they didn’t go far enough. 

I don’t think it’s separate issue. Your argument, repeatedly,  against the fly over is people are making needless less than  5mile journeys. I agree but that not the situation with bypass as you concede. So the argument doesn’t hold much water for the bypass situation. Which is the topic of the thread. 

In the 80’s when we built a bunch of new towns, we provided an infrastructure to support these communities; we’ll kind off. There are large number of reasons for that which I assume you can grasp. The infrastructure for these places no longer supports the communities and the cities tbf. That’s not just in roads but positioning of employement (we’re a service economy is a major culprit) etc. The new towns were meant to be economic hubs have just become commuter housing. 

Upgrading/ new roads needs to happen in conjunction with other things. It’s not one or other tbh; it should be part of coherent strategy.  Albeit not sure local or central givers know much about coherent strategies. Roads, public transport, green transport on their own aren’t sufficient to address issue is a combo required. 

On your last para I never said you did. 

I actually agree with what you are saying here and it makes sense. I think the flyover will get built and it will be interesting to see if it does improve congestion or not. I hope for everyone's sake it does. You could be right and l may well be off the mark. As you say a coherent plan needs to be built not just roads but rail, tram and improved bus services should go hand in hand with the extra built up housing. My worry is where does this all end as l think we have to draw a line somewhere otherwise the planet will just be one big mass of concrete! Obviously thats an exaggeration but the point still stands. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
16 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Right now theres 6 roads leading onto Sheriffhall, building a flyover would take a high % of traffic away from it. Fair enough it would start causing problems at the A1 roundabout so a southbound flyover slip would be needed and hopefully a slip from the A1 heading directly onto the bypass to cut out said roundabout.

You keep on about sustainable solutions but so far you just seem to be suggesting everyone gets a pushbike, do you actually work for the clowncil?

I totally get what you are saying and in all likelihood the flyover will get built. Time will tell if thats the solution or not. As Lord BJ says the extra housing should go hand in hand with extra infrastructure, not just new roads but extra bus services, rail, tram whatever. We are supposed to be aiming for net zero by 2035 and that won't be achieved by building new roads. I think it's definitely about striking a balance about being sustainable but also ensuring things are in place for a growing population.

I definitely do not work for the council, l actually agree with you that they've made a mess of things especially on Leith Walk as one example.

My concern is if we keep.on building new roads as an answer to congestion then where does it all end? Let's say it gets built and it doesn't solve the congestion, what do we then? Build a flyover over the flyover? 

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

2 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

I totally get what you are saying and in all likelihood the flyover will get built. Time will tell if thats the solution or not. As Lord BJ says the extra housing should go hand in hand with extra infrastructure, not just new roads but extra bus services, rail, tram whatever. We are supposed to be aiming for net zero by 2035 and that won't be achieved by building new roads. I think it's definitely about striking a balance about being sustainable but also ensuring things are in place for a growing population.

I definitely do not work for the council, l actually agree with you that they've made a mess of things especially on Leith Walk as one example. 

Scotland population is in decline.

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 minutes ago, OBE said:

No offence bu l'm not sure l believe that, can you show me evidence of this? Have the results of the latest census been released?

If it's true then why are the building all these shiny new houses on the outskirts of Edinburgh then?

I really also meant the growing number of houses around Edinburgh, you can't just build new houses without a whole infrastucture that has to go around it. 

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

1 minute ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

No offence bu l'm not sure l believe that, can you show me evidence of this? Have the results of the latest census been released?

If it's true then why are the building all these shiny new houses on the outskirts of Edinburgh then?

Cannae be arsed, look it up yourself, it's genuine.

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, OBE said:

Cannae be arsed, look it up yourself, it's genuine.

Lol you are the one that came up with the 'fact' if you can't find evidence then you've just made it up!

19 minutes ago, OBE said:

Population has been increasing pretty constantly for the last 50 years

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

As an aside I thought Scotlands population had dropped for first time due to brexit and loss of emigration. Though it’s due to keep rising in the short to medium but I can’t be arsed Googling . 

Scotland's population growth has slowed as a result of Brexit and Covid.  However, it is expected to peak in 2028, before falling, as the birth rate is forecast to fall as the general population gets older.

Source NRS.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Scotland's population growth has slowed as a result of Brexit and Covid.  However, it is expected to peak in 2028, before falling, as the birth rate is forecast to fall as the general population gets older.

Source NRS.

Thanks for this. The world population has just reached 8 billion and is expected to get to 10 in the next 30 years. How we manage it all has to be done in a more sustainable way.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I genuinely get where your coming from and I understand and share, sone of,  your concerns👍

A coherent plan is required. That’s is probably the biggest failure of the central and local govt. I blame binary thinking which plaques this country now. 

As an aside I thought Scotlands population had dropped for first time due to brexit and loss of emigration. Though it’s due to keep rising in the short to medium but I can’t be arsed Googling . 

You are correct on the binary thinking that's for sure!

11 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Lol you are the one that came up with the 'fact' if you can't find evidence then you've just made it up!

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

No it's not

219649589_Screenshot2022-09-27172406.thumb.jpg.6726f53a1fc7fc896c6f8350c9441b1b.jpg

11 hours ago, XB52 said:

Population has been increasing pretty constantly for the last 50 years

Bugger!...Please accept my deepest apologies, shan't happen again, I've sacked the researcher. :D

Well done to all who could be arsed...👏👏👏👏

Population plateau in 2028...not long...Urgent national shagging programme will be required to fill the numerous fields of houses, pay for pensions and populate all these cycle lanes that currently just collect shit. How do they remove the debris from them? Too long for a person with an old fashioned brush, too narrow for a machine. The cycle lanes on Ferry Rd, are more akin to a cross country track rather than a Capital city road, accidents are gonna happen/have happened.

7 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Thanks for this. The world population has just reached 8 billion and is expected to get to 10 in the next 30 years. How we manage it all has to be done in a more sustainable way.

Might be just around the corner...fingers on buttons 👇, please.

🔴

5 hours ago, OBE said:

Bugger!...Please accept my deepest apologies, shan't happen again, I've sacked the researcher. :D

Population plateau in 2028...not long...Urgent national shagging programme will be required to fill the numerous fields of houses, pay for pensions and populate all these cycle lanes that currently just collect shit. How do they remove the debris from them? Too long for a person with an old fashioned brush, too narrow for a machine. The cycle lanes on Ferry Rd, are more akin to a cross country track rather than a Capital city road, accidents are gonna happen/have happened.

Step forward Mr Leigh Griffiths. 

Big nation of massive thumby foreheads by 2060. 

1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Step forward Mr Leigh Griffiths. 

Big nation of massive thumby foreheads by 2060. 

:D...Already on the case or his harem...:brows:

will-i-am-a-jambo
10 hours ago, OBE said:

You are right, it's all very well the council providing cycle lanes (and lm all for it) but they have to be maintained just as roads do. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
10 hours ago, OBE said:

Might be just around the corner...fingers on buttons 👇, please.

🔴

Indeed, if Putin has his way 🙄