SNP and Greens coalition.

ri Alban

I was watching first minister's questions and hears her go crazy about a comment someone made.  She said she was going to officially complain after the session.  Anyone hear what the comment was and who said it.  She was going me mental about it.  

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

I've worked just about every shift pattern that's ever been invented.

Continental 12 hour was a good one.

Three days of 12 hours each then 4 days off was the jist of it.

It did rotate between day shift and night shift and your days off changed every week but it was a good work/life balance.

Longer hours only leads to burnout and people slacking off at work.

If you're knackered at work, you're not doing your best work.

It also leads to high staff turnover as people bolt.

Staff will only put up with 60 hour weeks for so long before finding somewhere else to work.

Treating your staff well and giving them shorter hours leads to better morale, harder work during those hours, a more stable team that become really good at what they do and overall it leads to higher productivity.

I've worked in places with tyrannical bosses, a shitey atmosphere between staff, crushingly long working weeks and awful pay&conditions.
They've all gone bust.

Other places I've worked at have treated their staff well with good pay and conditions. They're doing grand.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

I've worked just about every shift pattern that's ever been invented.

Continental 12 hour was a good one.

Three days of 12 hours each then 4 days off was the jist of it.

It did rotate between day shift and night shift and your days off changed every week but it was a good work/life balance.

Longer hours only leads to burnout and people slacking off at work.

If you're knackered at work, you're not doing your best work.

It also leads to high staff turnover as people bolt.

Staff will only put up with 60 hour weeks for so long before finding somewhere else to work.

Treating your staff well and giving them shorter hours leads to better morale, harder work during those hours, a more stable team that become really good at what they do and overall it leads to higher productivity.

I've worked in places with tyrannical bosses, a shitey atmosphere between staff, crushingly long working weeks and awful pay&conditions.
They've all gone bust.

Other places I've worked at have treated their staff well with good pay and conditions. They're doing grand.

👍👍

4 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

I'm voting for them just now as I want away from the antiquated democracy that is Westminster, after that it'll be campaigning to get rid of political parties.   No need for them in this day and age.  

Actually quite intrigued by that idea tbf 

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

I was watching first minister's questions and hears her go crazy about a comment someone made.  She said she was going to officially complain after the session.  Anyone hear what the comment was and who said it.  She was going me mental about it.  

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19554778.tory-msp-apology-over-line-outburst-nicola-sturgeon/

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Beni said:

so a Tory MSP comes out with the standard shite and is defended on Twitter by a Tory Councilor from Glasgow (as rare as white dug shite) whilst discussing hoards of marauding 'Billy Boys' who are.............

Unionists!

:facepalm::clyay: 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Actually quite intrigued by that idea tbf 

Probably a bit much to discuss it in here, but I honestly think it would be a better system if every politician was independent from any party.   

Difficult due to the lack of funding that parties give candidates for their campaigns.  

I'd also like to see us going more towards a swiss style electronic system were we can all vote on tbe big issues.  It would get rid of the politics of blame as it would be up to us.  

Tired of politicians caring more about the party line than their constituents.  

manaliveits105

I look forward to our intrepid msps raising the singing of bigoted songs by the sellik fans over the coming months too just to give some balance.

Probably a bit much to discuss it in here, but I honestly think it would be a better system if every politician was independent from any party.   

Difficult due to the lack of funding that parties give candidates for their campaigns.  

I'd also like to see us going more towards a swiss style electronic system were we can all vote on tbe big issues.  It would get rid of the politics of blame as it would be up to us.  

Tired of politicians caring more about the party line than their constituents.  

Honestly, I think its a brilliant idea. The situation and effective bullying Andy Wightman was subject to by the greens and green party activists was depressing. Might make things more difficult to get done but on the face of it, I quite like the idea. 

Swahili Jambo
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

I look forward to our intrepid msps raising the singing of bigoted songs by the sellik fans over the coming months too just to give some balance.

Swahili Jambo
Just now, Swahili Jambo said:

**** me, we finally agree on something!!  Won't happen though unfortunately.  The happy, harmless, craiksters can sing their Provo, anti British venom with impunity it seems.

8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

You'll still be able to do that if you want, I'd imagine.

I dont.

But the reality is for a lot of people is they have to.

I'm for less hours I've done too many over my working life.

It's a gimmick that doesnt meet the cost of living for many.

1 hour ago, Ked said:

I dont.

But the reality is for a lot of people is they have to.

I'm for less hours I've done too many over my working life.

It's a gimmick that doesnt meet the cost of living for many.

The idea is less hours but the same pay. 

11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The idea is less hours but the same pay. 

I get that.Just cant see it for most.

And if anything the reality suggests the opposite has happened.

And that's not just the lowest paid.

12 hours ago, Swahili Jambo said:

**** me, we finally agree on something!!  Won't happen though unfortunately.  The happy, harmless, craiksters can sing their Provo, anti British venom with impunity it seems.

It's pretty sickening. Time any team with racist or Sectarian ideology spewing from its stands were, demoted, banned or even thrown out of all competition until they've dealt with it. 

First let's see the SG make everyone equal, by providing the same schooling for everyone. Separate schools is a disgrace and breeds division from the beginning. And get the Orangemen/Republicans off our streets, anaw. Shameful behaviour.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

It's pretty sickening. Time any team with racist or Sectarian ideology spewing from its stands were, demoted, banned or even thrown out of all competition until they've dealt with it. 

That'll be another season in the championship for us then.

23 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

?? How can productivity increase of working less hours ? Just playing the devils advocate . I think it is a great idea and should happened a long time ago anyway but just wondering about the finer details ? I can assume productivity may increase due to workers well being increasing due to working less and this I’m turn has a positive knock on effect on their motivation at work ( ie become more productive ) 

Taking your health comments - yeah, there's an element of that but it's not just that. It's worked in other countries but IMO it is worth considering it's all about mindset. 

If you have an opportunity to gain something (ie. a day off) by working out how to work smarter/more efficiently then you'll go for it. The business/management of your work then gears around delivering what's required around the reduced hours. There's also evidence that sick leave (most likely the fabricated type) reduces too.

If people are thinking it's a case of carry on as normal and have an extra day off they need to personally rethink their approach as they'll get found out. 

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

That'll be another season in the championship for us then.

🤣  But seriously, if that what it takes, the rest of the fans would soon put a stop to it .

Rangers fans are now fed up with it and doing what's needed. It was rangers fans who sent the club all the recent footage.

I thought this was quite an interesting article on the evolution of the working week.

Until the late 19th century everyone worked on Saturday and some people got Monday off. The introduction of half day working on Saturdays allowed football to take off in a big way.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/weekend-lesson-four-day-working-week-a9274096.html?amp 

I can understand why productivity would rise with a move to a 4 day week, but wonder if this would continue in the long term, or would Thursday afternoon become the new Friday afternoon, with folk spending lunchtime in the pub and generally pissing about until lousing time.

17 minutes ago, Beni said:

I thought this was quite an interesting article on the evolution of the working week.

Until the late 19th century everyone worked on Saturday and some people got Monday off. The introduction of half day working on Saturdays allowed football to take off in a big way.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/weekend-lesson-four-day-working-week-a9274096.html?amp 

I can understand why productivity would rise with a move to a 4 day week, but wonder if this would continue in the long term, or would Thursday afternoon become the new Friday afternoon, with folk spending lunchtime in the pub and generally pissing about until lousing time.

That was an interesting article . Thanks . I know that those who worked in service in the 19th early 20th only got one afternoon off per week ! Shocking really 

23 minutes ago, Beni said:

Could see it being a permanent trial, renewed every X months if productivity was good, scheduling problems worked out and staff also happy. Gives room to stop that slippage that you mention.

It appeals to me, a fair bit of the weekend can be taken up with caring duties, sorting stuff out etc. The extra day - even half of the day devoted to that upkeep stuff, then you could get outdoors more, do something creative or contribute a bit more to the local community by helping out where needed, doing a bit of wombling or planting etc.

It could be difficult to accommodate 4-day weeks in some industries/sectors, I'm wondering how we would ensure equality and fairness if this became law. Could we see some places go 8-6 for example where the work can't be as easily squeezed into 4 standard days? 

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

First let's see the SG make everyone equal, by providing the same schooling for everyone. Separate schools is a disgrace and breeds division from the beginning. And get the Orangemen/Republicans off our streets, anaw. Shameful behaviour.

Absolutely couldn't agree more.

Seen the school shit with my own eyes, in Coatbridge, primary school divided in half & a big fence along the playing fields, one side protestant the other side catholic.  Picture the scene and I'd bet this happens, two 5 year olds Patrick & William (insert any names) both live on the same street, might even be next door to each other, walk to school together but wee Patrick goes in the right hand gate whilst wee Billy goes in the left hand entrance and for no other reason but they have a different religion, grow the feck up, it's 2021 FFS.

Scotland will never ever ever progress and be the nation we all want it to be, until this sectarian shite is addressed by the Scottish Government, and it doesn't matter whose in power, they all need to address this issue.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seen the school shit with my own eyes, in Coatbridge, primary school divided in half & a big fence along the playing fields, one side protestant the other side catholic.  Picture the scene and I'd bet this happens, two 5 year olds Patrick & William (insert any names) both live on the same street, might even be next door to each other, walk to school together but wee Patrick goes in the right hand gate whilst wee Billy goes in the left hand entrance and for no other reason but they have a different religion, grow the feck up, it's 2021 FFS.

Scotland will never ever ever progress and be the nation we all want it to be, until this sectarian shite is addressed by the Scottish Government, and it doesn't matter whose in power, they all need to address this issue.

So how come there's RC schools in England and parts of Scotland without the sectarian shite? Don't disagree that faith based schools should at least be reviewed. But there must be more to it than just that?

2 hours ago, pablo said:

So how come there's RC schools in England and parts of Scotland without the sectarian shite? Don't disagree that faith based schools should at least be reviewed. But there must be more to it than just that?

Can only think it being the mind set, the culture, the home/society which the kids are being brought up in.

Kids are not born sectarian, they have to be taught it, most probably by their elders/peers.

10 hours ago, pablo said:

7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can only think it being the mind set, the culture, the home/society which the kids are being brought up in.

Kids are not born sectarian, they have to be taught it, most probably by their elders/peers.

Both good points . As the goes “ you have to be carefully taught “( to hate ) 

16 hours ago, pablo said:

Correct.

It's predominantly a west of Scotland thing and until it's accepted that this part of Scotland is still in the dark ages then it'll never change.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Correct.

It's predominantly a west of Scotland thing and until it's accepted that this part of Scotland is still in the dark ages then it'll never change.

This.

I doubt this will ever change.
Successive governments have done sfa about it.

Scotland’s shame.

Seymour M Hersh

I wonder if, after the Environmental virtue signalling contest in Glasgow has finished, there will be an untimely end to this coalition of convenience. 

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Correct.

This is what I was meaning yesterday about the seperate schools, that it only seems to be the West of Scotland that there seems to be an issue, I assumed (wrongly) that everyone knew that, that it was the West I was referring to.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.

I doubt this will ever change.
Successive governments have done sfa about it.

Scotland’s shame.

Political suicide if any of them tackle this issue because they'll upset a lot of the weegie voters, and none of them want to upset the weegies.

I'll tell you what, in an independant Scotland, maybe we could set up a kind of leper colony, except it would be full of bigoted arseholes, where they could happily live in the 17th century, which will allow the rest of us to enjoy living in the 21st century.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

On 03/09/2021 at 12:48, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Faith based schools is not the problem. There are faith based schools all over the UK and these problems don't exist. 

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I wonder if, after the Environmental virtue signalling contest in Glasgow has finished, there will be an untimely end to this coalition of convenience. 

What do you think would bring that scenario about?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This is what I was meaning yesterday about the seperate schools, that it only seems to be the West of Scotland that there seems to be an issue, I assumed (wrongly) that everyone knew that, that it was the West I was referring to.

Political suicide if any of them tackle this issue because they'll upset a lot of the weegie voters, and none of them want to upset the weegies.

I'll tell you what, in an independant Scotland, maybe we could set up a kind of leper colony, except it would be full of bigoted arseholes, where they could happily live in the 17th century, which will allow the rest of us to enjoy living in the 21st century.

👍

Definitely not a vote winner. 

Seymour M Hersh
42 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

What do you think would bring that scenario about?

Anything she wants if she feels they've served their purpose. Maybe reports in a paper today about alleged anti semitism within the greens? Who knows. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Anything she wants if she feels they've served their purpose. Maybe reports in a paper today about alleged anti semitism within the greens? Who knows. 

Ah right, I see. 

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We could just set up ayrshire, Lanarkshire and Strathclyde as the leper colonies.  That way we save money having to relocate them. 

Nothing changes because the media, our government and the old firm will do nothing to eliminate this. 

Celtic and rangers never use the word sectarianism in their press releases after any incident.  

I wonder what would happen if other clubs in Scotland started doing something like taking the knee to rid our game and society of sectarianism?   I wonder how the west coast media and the old firm would react?   Not being serious but it would highlight how the old firm don't want to do anything about this and show them up for what they are.  

There's a club down south called Catholic United who last week had over 10k Celtic fans starting to follow them.  Because of that rangers fans have begun following their local rivals.  

How pathetic are they?  

3 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Faith based schools is not the problem. There are faith based schools all over the UK and these problems don't exist. 

I corrected what I had meant to say in the post immediately above yours, in that it was the West of Scotland that I meant about faith schools, not anywhere else in the UK, just the West of Scotland namely in weegieland.

We could just set up ayrshire, Lanarkshire and Strathclyde as the leper colonies.  That way we save money having to relocate them. 

Nothing changes because the media, our government and the old firm will do nothing to eliminate this. 

Celtic and rangers never use the word sectarianism in their press releases after any incident.  

I wonder what would happen if other clubs in Scotland started doing something like taking the knee to rid our game and society of sectarianism?   I wonder how the west coast media and the old firm would react?   Not being serious but it would highlight how the old firm don't want to do anything about this and show them up for what they are.  

There's a club down south called Catholic United who last week had over 10k Celtic fans starting to follow them.  Because of that rangers fans have begun following their local rivals.  

How pathetic are they?  

Can we not put them onto an Island somewhere, preferably a long way offshore, the further the better.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can we not put them onto an Island somewhere, preferably a long way offshore, the further the better.

I can think of quite a big island just west of the UK mainland if that helps. 

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That would be better but more expensive.  Though money more than well spent.  Ireland is an island and they don't want them so it would have to be somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic.  We could give them an island each so they can still 'celebrate their heritage'.  

Joking aside.  Something has to be done.   Just need the media and Scottish government to get a back bone. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I can think of quite a big island just west of the UK mainland if that helps. 

Yeh, a lot of them have a strong allegiance to that Ireland................oops sorry I meant Island.

That would be better but more expensive.  Though money more than well spent.  Ireland is an island and they don't want them so it would have to be somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic.  We could give them an island each so they can still 'celebrate their heritage'.  

Joking aside.  Something has to be done.   Just need the media and Scottish government to get a back bone. 

Political suicide for any party that tries.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, a lot of them have a strong allegiance to that Ireland................oops sorry I meant Island.

Political suicide for any party that tries.

That means we are stuck with this shite due to being governed by cowards.  

I hope our club can find a away to ban or really restrict their numbers when they visit.  I suppose it up to individual clubs then.  

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

That means we are stuck with this shite due to being governed by cowards.  

I hope our club can find a away to ban or really restrict their numbers when they visit.  I suppose it up to individual clubs then.  

Unfortunately I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Unfortunately I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

Or this century...

Mind that question?

When was Glasgow the European city of culture? 

A  1990

B  1690.

It'll never change as you're right in it being political suicide.