Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Frightening amounts I know. 

I'm not having that. No danger anyone regularly drinks that.

I can do 10 + pints of Guinness if taking my time on an all day session, or a couple more if it's pisswater like Best or something, but I'll be utterly hammered. 20 - 25 pints is crazy.

Edit. Unless they're supplementing with marching powder or dancing tablets. That's a game changer.

Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Posted the above before reading the thread😳

At least you didn't innocently post a link to the express like I did, I get the impression that it's rattled a few cages.

I had the choice between the express, the herald, the telegraph, the times or the bbc and I choose the first one, which just so happened to be the express, but less of my gripes as I need to get to the butcher, think I'll have mince for tea.

Lord Montpelier
57 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Nicola Sturgeon's flagship minimum alcohol price policy forced problem drinkers to sacrifice food and heating, according to her own Government's health agency.

Scotland became the first in the world to introduce a minimum unit pricing (MUP) in May 2018, meaning alcohol cannot legally be sold for cheaper than 50p per unit.

The SNP move was touted as a way to target problem drinkers who opt for low-price and high-alcohol drinks, reduce hospital admissions and save lives.

Sturgeon called it a 'vital public health measure' that 'will save lives', claiming it had 'strong support' from alcohol misuse experts before it was implemented.

But the new review has found no clear evidence that the policy changed how much alcoholics drank, or helped them overcome their dependence.

The Public Health Scotland report, released today, warned problem drinkers suffered 'financial strain' as price rises meant they spent more on alcohol — £107, compared to £83 per week previously.

Rather than cutting back how much they drank, 29 per cent reduced how much they spent on other things, such as food and utilities, researchers found.

This is what happens when you put meddling do-gooders in charge 

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

but less of my gripes as I need to get to the butcher, think I'll have mince for tea.

Don't be tempted by the tripe.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Don't be tempted by the tripe.

Naw, definitely going for the mince.

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

At least you didn't innocently post a link to the express like I did, I get the impression that it's rattled a few cages.

I had the choice between the express, the herald, the telegraph, the times or the bbc and I choose the first one, which just so happened to be the express, but less of my gripes as I need to get to the butcher, think I'll have mince for tea.

I disagreed with their slant that's all. As I said, I don't like the policy myself, but what they're saying and what the report says look like two different things to me.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

You don't. You have to let folk make their own decisions.

Removing universal free healthcare might focus a few minds, however.

This.

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Unfortunately the messenger is often shot on this if it’s the “ Wrong “ article / paper quoted . Irrespective of which paper it was , the policy has failed for a variety of reasons . The SG were warned it would but carried on regardless . It’s laudable to try and reduce the alcohol consumption of some though if it’s the right intervention . 

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I disagreed with their slant that's all. As I said, I don't like the policy myself, but what they're saying and what the report says look like two different things to me.

In hindsight I wish I'd had went with the BBC report, in fact I should probably have done what I normally do on political threads, and said nothing and leave it for somebody else to post reports. 

Space Mackerel
55 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I can do 10 + pints of Guinness if taking my time on an all day session, or a couple more if it's pisswater like Best or something, but I'll be utterly hammered. 20 - 25 pints is crazy.

Edit. Unless they're supplementing with marching powder or dancing tablets. That's a game changer.

My boss used to neck 30 pints of Guinness no problem on a Friday. He was a rugger player type.

jack D and coke
52 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

:lol: It’s not something i do either. I could

do 10 pints but it’s not regular I’m usually on the sherbit dips before that. 
They were knocking back pints like nobody’s business and of course a bit of the other to change the game as it were☺️
The lad was talking about his old man btw. Says he’d tried to keep up with him a few

times and just couldn’t. 
I don’t think his dad was on the calvins but you never know with these mad weejys. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

My boss used to neck 30 pints of Guinness no problem on a Friday. He was a rugger player type.

Is he still alive?

Space Mackerel
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is he still alive?

No idea. But I tried to keep up with him one day but he was 4 pints ahead after an hour!

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Space Mackerel said:

No idea. But I tried to keep up with him one day but he was 4 pints ahead after an hour!

Crikey. 

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In hindsight I wish I'd had went with the BBC report, in fact I should probably have done what I normally do on political threads, and said nothing and leave it for somebody else to post reports. 

No keep posting and from whatever source . If you don’t the critics will have won . I actually feel the same at times , wonder whether to post articles  or not as I know I’ll get the usual pelters from  some  Depends if I’m in the mood to take it 

jack D and coke
50 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

This is what happens when you put meddling do-gooders in charge 

I won’t ever see you mentioning drug deaths or drink deaths then in future? You believe the govt should just let them drink themselves to death and do nothing like Jonesy suggests? 
I was neither in favour nor against the minimum pricing but I understood what they were trying to do. I’d imagine it takes a lot of resources to properly tackle it and the money isn’t there so a blunt approach was tried. 
It’s failed so it’s gave a lot of people a stick to beat with again so I guess they can scrap it and folk can get back to getting wasted on £3 bottles of cider again. 
Eveyrbodys happy☺️

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No keep posting and from whatever source . If you don’t the critics will have won . I actually feel the same at times , wonder whether to post articles  or not as I know I’ll get the usual pelters from  some  Depends if I’m in the mood to take it 

Tbf the other sources mentioned weren’t much better :lol: 

@JamboJimboi wasn’t having a go at you. I’m aware you don’t get involved in politcking pal. Those papers don’t ever say anything positive about Scotland for me and poison minds in Britain as a whole. 

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Ye gads! :o

6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Crikey. 

30 pints is a liquid lunch for you, no?

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I won’t ever see you mentioning drug deaths or drink deaths then in future? You believe the govt should just let them drink themselves to death and do nothing like Jonesy suggests? 
I was neither in favour nor against the minimum pricing but I understood what they were trying to do. I’d imagine it takes a lot of resources to properly tackle it and the money isn’t there so a blunt approach was tried. 
It’s failed so it’s gave a lot of people a stick to beat with again so I guess they can scrap it and folk can get back to getting wasted on £3 bottles of cider again. 
Eveyrbodys happy☺️

I don't think Jonesy was saying do nothing. Just either do something radical or don't do anything. The light touch tinkering doesn't really work as people need to want to change. Same with the sugar tax. You've got to get people to want consume less of something, not to save money. I drink coke zero to save the calories, not to save 20p or whatever.

The UK is a lazy, unhealthy country who eat and drink ourselves into early graves. Can the government do something about that? Absolutely, but minimum pricing and taxes isn't it imo. 

Edited by Taffin

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Ye gads! :o

30 pints is a liquid lunch for you, no?

I would need an ambulance on standby. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I don't think Jonesy was saying do nothing. Just either do something radical or don't do anything. The light touch tinkering doesn't really work as people need to want to change. Same with the sugar tax. You've got to get people to want consume less of something, not to save money. I drink coke zero to save the calories, not to save 20p or whatever.

The UK is a lazy, unhealthy country who eat and drink ourselves into early graves. Can the government do something about that? Absolutely, but minimum pricing and taxes isn't it imo. 

Well unless we’re prepared to really throw millions and millions at it nothing will change and we’ll have people dying young and all the chronic health problems boozing like that brings. I always understood it to be about stopping the young teams getting sparkled on cheap 2 litre bottles of cider that were about £3 and causing mayhem where they live. Alcohol causes no end of grief and misery in certain places, especially cheap stuff. 

Lord Montpelier
9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Eveyrbodys happy☺️

If they had done nothing the situation would not have been any worse by the looks of it . Scotland needs to adopt a better attitude to alcohol, a bit more like continental drinking. It won't though

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Well unless we’re prepared to really throw millions and millions at it nothing will change and we’ll have people dying young and all the chronic health problems boozing like that brings. I always understood it to be about stopping the young teams getting sparkled on cheap 2 litre bottles of cider that were about £3 and causing mayhem where they live. Alcohol causes no end of grief and misery in certain places, especially cheap stuff. 

You are right, it was to bring the cheap grog inline with normal booze.

Brexit has added roughly £1.50 on to a bottle of wine from Europe. Never heard anyone moaning about that.

https://twitter.com/DanielLambert29/status/1532991072158220288?s=20&t=CHN56UsWTnsBL1OYc-Y2-Q

Edited by Space Mackerel

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

If they had done nothing the situation would not have been any worse by the looks of it . Scotland needs to adopt a better attitude to alcohol, a bit more like continental drinking. It won't though

You’re not going to get any disagreement from me there. Our relationship with booze is awful. I binge drink myself at weekends pretty regularly. 
How do you change it though is the question. 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

You are right, it was to bring the cheap grog inline with normal booze.

Brexit has added roughly £1.50 on to a bottle of wine from Europe. Never heard anyone moaning about that.

https://twitter.com/DanielLambert29/status/1532991072158220288?s=20&t=CHN56UsWTnsBL1OYc-Y2-Q

Daily express might give a column to Jacob Rees Nonce to tell you the benefits of that £1.50. 

Unknown user
41 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Fair enough, being a bit sensitive if you ask me though.

I don't see how something that preceded a drop in alcohol consumption and a drop in alcohol related deaths can be bad. Yes, more needs to be done to help those who fall through the cracks, but if it's bringing down consumption and deaths it's surely good, with more needing to be done?

The thing is that no matter what happens there are some who will drink themselves to death, who can't be helped. But we can't shape policy round those guys, they need different help.

20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I'm sure that will certainly have been part of it, and may well have worked for that demographic (?, I don't know the answer to that). 

The first part probably is where you get to what Jonesy was saying. If people want to drink themselves to death, then as long as all the information about the risks is available for people to digest there comes a point when maybe we have to just let them.

Lord Montpelier
15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You’re not going to get any disagreement from me there. Our relationship with booze is awful. I binge drink myself at weekends pretty regularly. 

A very deep question. Do we drink to enjoy ourselves more ? To show off ? To forget about our worries? Because there is nothing else to do? To be more sociable? Peer pressure ?

Certainly a difficult question to address. 

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

A very deep question. Do we drink to enjoy ourselves more ? To show off ? To forget about our worries? Because there is nothing else to do? To be more sociable? Peer pressure ?

All of the above, imo.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

You seem obsessed with the (gutter) press, mate. 

He has a great point about the press.

If you want to see just how much they're mugging off the hard of thinking then look no further than the front pages of today's Sun/Mail/Express English versions versus the Sun/Mail/Express 'Scottish' versions.

Risible stuff. 

John Findlay
42 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Eveyrbodys happy☺️

Especially them getting wasted.

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

it certainly does.  In every aspect of life. 

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not sure how it can be changed. Less stigma maybe about cafes and cafe culture ?  Later opening for cafes ?  Places where you dont need to drink ?  Filling your free time with more constructive things like exercising, cinema, theatre, etc.  I still cant really understand the need for people to get pissed before a football match.  I have only been pissed once before going to a match.  It was Hearts v Celtic and it was awful experience. Thought i was gonna go flying down the stair at one point as I was that pissed.  Never again. Plus you cant even remember the match. 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm sure that will certainly have been part of it, and may well have worked for that demographic (?, I don't know the answer to that). 

The first part probably is where you get to what Jonesy was saying. If people want to drink themselves to death, then as long as all the information about the risks is available for people to digest there comes a point when maybe we have to just let them.

I think the demograph they were trying to target was already passed the help stage. It also doesnt help giving them various benefits like PIP which is a lot of money if awarded the higher rate as they piss it up against a wall . 

4 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Certainly a difficult question to address. 

I drink to relax if i am out with friends. It eases the night. I like a pub atmosphere . I like the ambiance and the unpredictability of what might happen that night ( within reason).  I rarely drink alcohol if going to the cinema or theatre . I dont like things which dull your senses and enjoying of an event. There is an element of peer pressure to it too. Got a friend whom i regularly have a face time chat with * started during covid. She lives in Glasgow.  But she can tank the drink down. Before any agreed chat she always asks me if I am drinking?  Why ? Does it matter?  Unfortunately for heavy drinkers it does. its a form of validation. I am just the same person with a drink or without. I dont need alcohol to give me a personality. Some sadly do. 

jack D and coke

@JamesM48i won’t quote all that but in a lot areas there’s not much else to do. Certainly isn’t cinemas, theatres gyms and cafes in the poorer places. 
In short and how to fix it, god knows. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

@JamesM48i won’t quote all that but in a lot areas there’s not much else to do. Certainly isn’t cinemas, theatres gyms and cafes in the poorer places. 
In short and how to fix it, god knows. 

I know that's true. Im at a loss then in how to fix it as well.  Only can give some suggestions.  Its the rites of passage thing for us all.. The first drink etc. 

46 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That's what I was saying earlier though Jack,  Gen Zs generally speaking have an entirely different approach to alcohol consumption. 

I'm not sure if there is anything to be done with the older Millennials, Gen Xs and older.........

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, pablo said:

That's what I was saying earlier though Jack,  Gen Zs generally speaking have an entirely different approach to alcohol consumption. 

I'm not sure if there is anything to be done with the older Millennials, Gen Xs and older.........

I hope so. Crazy to think we’ve been destroying ourselves for a century or more with this Scottish hard drinking man image. 

John Findlay
53 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That is entirely upto you. Only you can change your drinking habits, no one else only yourself. I call it personal responsibility, sounds like you need to get some, and you are the only person who can give yourself some.

jack D and coke
Just now, John Findlay said:

That is entirely upto you. Only you can change your drinking habits, no one else only yourself. I call it personal responsibility, sounds like you need to get some, and you are the only person who can give yourself some.

Absolutely. It’s totally bedded in though it’s weekends and all my mates are the same. They’ve built bars in their gardens too and have bloody beer machines it’s almost impossible to stop😂 I won’t lie and say I don’t enjoy a beer😋

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I hope so. Crazy to think we’ve been destroying ourselves for a century or more with this Scottish hard drinking man image. 

I'll admit to not fully understanding the reasoning behind it. But there's probably something to do with body shaming, reputations being destroyed on social media if you're filmed falling out a taxi or club, their lives being lived digitally rather than experiential, just as much as living with a healthier attitude overall.

Don't think it's plain sailing being a kid nowadays either. 

Even I'm not going to blame the SNP for any of that! 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Absolutely. It’s totally bedded in though it’s weekends and all my mates are the same. They’ve built bars in their gardens too and have bloody beer machines it’s almost impossible to stop😂 I won’t lie and say I don’t enjoy a beer😋

One think that has stopped me drinking as much is the hangovers.  The next day is wasted really so I only ever go for a drink if I have nothing planned for the next day as such. Its a motivator for me not too drink and i also think of the health impact of drinking , weight gain, can be linked to cancers, liver diseases , kidney issues et al. Maybe try one weekend with the booze ?  Make other plans ? Just give your drinking mates the cold shoulder that weekend.  ?  Its the only way to stop an addiction which is harmful really  Heavy drinkers like the company of other heavy drinkers. But as John said its a matter of will power .  

The Mighty Thor
13 minutes ago, pablo said:

I'll admit to not fully understanding the reasoning behind it. But there's probably something to do with body shaming, reputations being destroyed on social media if you're filmed falling out a taxi or club, their lives being lived digitally rather than experiential, just as much as living with a healthier attitude overall.

A culture which spreads to our sportsmen, including the employees of HMFC. 

Go up George Street of a weekend and you'll see paid elite athletes falling about stotious. 

It's the bantz man.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A culture which spreads to our sportsmen, including the employees of HMFC. 

Go up George Street of a weekend and you'll see paid elite athletes falling about stotious. 

It's the bantz man.

Totally. But there's evidence showing that "generally speaking" Gen Zs are behaving differently and driving the shrinking of the alcohol market overall. 

I hear you though. 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, pablo said:

:lol: 

jack D and coke
27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

One think that has stopped me drinking as much is the hangovers.  The next day is wasted really so I only ever go for a drink if I have nothing planned for the next day as such. Its a motivator for me not too drink and i also think of the health impact of drinking , weight gain, can be linked to cancers, liver diseases , kidney issues et al. Maybe try one weekend with the booze ?  Make other plans ? Just give your drinking mates the cold shoulder that weekend.  ?  Its the only way to stop an addiction which is harmful really  Heavy drinkers like the company of other heavy drinkers. But as John said its a matter of will power .  

You been speaking to my ma? 😂

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Fair enough, being a bit sensitive if you ask me though.

I don't see how something that preceded a drop in alcohol consumption and a drop in alcohol related deaths can be bad. Yes, more needs to be done to help those who fall through the cracks, but if it's bringing down consumption and deaths it's surely good, with more needing to be done?

The thing is that no matter what happens there are some who will drink themselves to death, who can't be helped. But we can't shape policy round those guys, they need different help.

You're probably right there.

JudyJudyJudy

😁😁

15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You been speaking to my ma? 😂

Plot twist....." I am your mother " ! 

R (1).gif

Edited by JamesM48

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

😁😁

Plot twist....." I am your mother " ! 

R (1).gif

All the advice the day pal😂

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, jack D and coke said:

All the advice the day pal😂

its all something to ponder. Its up to you to make any choices you feel you WANT to make.