Ive never watched the simpsons so no sure what that means

Just a bit of fun James...

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Just a bit of fun James...

Whats that ? 

😁

13 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

What i dont understand is the theme of the march apart from Indy was about " saving the NHS".  The NHS is devolved and has been for 15 years. 

Aye but it's because the English don't give enough money. 

Do keep up.

frankblack
2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Do keep up.

You do know that the Barnett formula is based on what Westminster gives for the likes of the NHS in England and Wales?

The question is whether things like free baby boxes and bus passes to teenagers is a worthwhile use of those monies?

Edited by frankblack

57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You do know that the Barnett formula is based on what Westminster gives for the likes of the NHS in England and Wales?

The question is whether things like free baby boxes and bus passes to teenagers is a worthwhile use of those monies?

I do yes. There would be nothing to stop the Scottish government topping that up.

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

100%

frankblack
15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

100%

Less money for the NHS etc in Scotland's budget with that.

Not so subtle election bribe to the youth though.  Like awarding Ferry contracts against expert advice.

I'm neither a teenager nor do I have any intention of having a baby. But I think they're good policies.

Lord Montpelier
13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm neither a teenager nor do I have any intention of having a baby. But I think they're good policies.

Free baby boxes isn't a policy, it's a gimmick. 

Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

That says rather a lot about you.

Lord Montpelier
15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

What does it say about me ? 

Nucky Thompson
9 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Do keep up.

The UK government spends more money on public services per person in Scotland than they do in England

Japan Jambo
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The UK government spends more money on public services per person in Scotland than they do in England

Toaries fault?

The Mighty Thor
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

image.thumb.png.3e9a6071a8b8d7e0626abbe0e1c34089.png

Not strictly true but not completely wrong either. 

HM Treasury figures above. 👍

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

image.thumb.png.3e9a6071a8b8d7e0626abbe0e1c34089.png

Not strictly true but not completely wrong either. 

HM Treasury figures above. 👍

Taking England as a whole country, it was £13,166 per person (2% below the UK average)

Scotland got £14,842 per person (11% above the UK average)

Wales got £14,222 (6% above)

Northern Ireland got £15,357 (14% above)

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Taking England as a whole country, it was £13,166 per person (2% below the UK average)

Scotland got £14,842 per person (11% above the UK average)

Wales got £14,222 (6% above)

Northern Ireland got £15,357 (14% above)

I can see that from the graph I posted. 

Weakened Offender
10 hours ago, frankblack said:

Why would anyone think that free bus passes for teenagers is a waste of money, 😁😁😁

chuck berrys hairline

It's not just teenagers with free bus passes its open for all children to get one. I use my ten year old sons all the time 😅

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Why not free bus passes for folk in FT employment? They contribute more to the exchequer and there are daily stories of people in FT work unable to feed themselves or their families.

Yes!!  Free bus passes for the workers and let the dole scroungers and bairns pay. 😁

How's that research coming on BTW? 😀

frankblack
3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Yes!!  Free bus passes for the workers and let the dole scroungers and bairns pay. 😁

How's that research coming on BTW? 😀

Should be means tested.  As said above the scheme is open to people aged 5-21.

That must cost a hell of a lot of money from Scotland's budget that could go to care for the elderly and infirm for example.

The Dragon Reborn
15 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

15 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

:indeed:

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Should be means tested.  As said above the scheme is open to people aged 5-21.

That must cost a hell of a lot of money from Scotland's budget that could go to care for the elderly and infirm for example.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Your words, not mine. Someone working 3 jobs just to make ends meet would benefit hugely from saving on the bus fares to get to those jobs. My bairns now use their 'entitlement' cards to moan when I walk them to school in the rain.

And going grand, thanks for taking an interest. 

If would be far more complicated and expensive to implement and administrate.

People's work situation can change multiple times. People only go from 21 to 22 once.

Anyone struggling to feed their family benefits through not having to pay for their kids to take the bus.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Your words, not mine. Someone working 3 jobs just to make ends meet would benefit hugely from saving on the bus fares to get to those jobs. My bairns now use their 'entitlement' cards to moan when I walk them to school in the rain.

And going grand, thanks for taking an interest. 

I'd give everyone a free bus pass, tbh. Roll it out tomorrow and add it to the list of all the other stuff that's free in Scotland. These things really piss off the hoose jocks. ❤️

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair point, although most of the folk I speak to who are in that situation would benefit more as their kids can walk to school whereas they can't walk between their 2/3 jobs.

Perhaps subsidising bus fares for all citizens, rather than cutting 'entitlement' at an arbitrary age, is the way forward?

I'd also get rid of the free bus passes for the oldies, BTW. Plenty >60s on good pensions and with multiple properties bringing in screeds of cash each month happy to avoid their bus fare to Waitrose and back. 

I like the idea of encouraging public transport use, but as always its the squeezed middle (in this situation, age) who end up forking out more than their fair share.

"Strip free bus travel from poor pensioners because there are some pensioners who can afford it" isn't an approach that sits well with me. 

Jeffros Furios
21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sick of it costing you £1.80 each time you get the urge to go window licking?

:jj:

25 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair enough. I understand the need to support those who don't. But, I don't see why folks who can pay, don't. Of course, it's up to them to make a judgement about whether or not they ought to, but very few people in life turn down a freebie, and some may feel they have 'earned' it. Whether or not that translates into sustainable economic policies is, of course, the bigger issue.

Could an independent Scotland sustain the hand outs? Because if it can't, then a lot of people are in for a rude awakening.

Completely agree and would include prescriptions in that. Why we are giving free stuff to millions of people who can afford it is ridiculous. A desperate sweetener to the electorate who are too shortsighted to see the money could be better spent else where. 

15 years in charge and the legacy is baby boxes and bus passes for people in their twenties. Impressive stuff.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Anyone struggling to feed their family benefits through not having to pay for their kids to take the bus.

I'm totally fine with free bus passes for youngsters and it's a policy I won't criticise them for, but some of the poorer families are missing out because you have to go through a process to get one.

It's not as easy as just getting one sent in the post.

Birth certificates, proof of address etc are required. 

You can get an appointment at a library and they will help fill out the form, but a lot of folk won't go through the hassle.

You'll be surprised how many kids haven't got one

Japan Jambo
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You forgot the witches. The witches have been pardoned. That kind of stuff is what sets this country apart.

🧹

Possibly world leading though?

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Sick of it costing you £1.80 each time you get the urge to go window licking?

I don't use public transport. Its full of snotty nose kids. 😉

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Fair enough. I understand the need to support those who don't. But, I don't see why folks who can pay, don't. Of course, it's up to them to make a judgement about whether or not they ought to, but very few people in life turn down a freebie, and some may feel they have 'earned' it. Whether or not that translates into sustainable economic policies is, of course, the bigger issue.

Could an independent Scotland sustain the hand outs? Because if it can't, then a lot of people are in for a rude awakening.

They wont be in for any rude awakening as it wont be happening.  ( Indy that is) 

1 hour ago, pablo said:

15 years in charge and the legacy is baby boxes and bus passes for people in their twenties. Impressive stuff.

and charging for plastic bags was a good idea.  The baby box scheme should have been targeted to those who could least afford it though but as usual with the SNP they dont bother about cost or indeed fairness.  The bus scheme for young people isnt that great an idea really as it encourages some of them to be lazy &&&& and just hop on buses  instead of walking which we all know is good for ones health esp when Scotland has one of the worse obesity levels in the world. 

Edited by JamesM48

Weakened Offender
29 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The bus scheme for young people isnt that great an idea really as it encourages some of them to be lazy &&&& and just hop on buses  instead of walking which we all know is good for ones health esp when Scotland has one of the worse obesity levels in the world. 

Oh FFS 😁

frankblack
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

If would be far more complicated and expensive to implement and administrate.

People's work situation can change multiple times. People only go from 21 to 22 once.

If not means tested why do kids need a free bus pass?  Most should live near their school so what is it for?

Students are a better case but many might still be in Uni after age 21.

Meanwhile councils don't get the funding to employ enough carers and home helps.  How can a free bus pass be a priority over care services?  The Scottish Government control council budgets and councils will be competing for funds from the same pot of money.

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If not means tested why do kids need a free bus pass?  Most should live near their school so what is it for?

Students are a better case but many might still be in Uni after age 21.

Meanwhile councils don't get the funding to employ enough carers and home helps.  How can a free bus pass be a priority over care services?  The Scottish Government control council budgets and councils will be competing for funds from the same pot of money.

It is given to those who apply. Any kid that doesn't require a bus pass will not be forced to take one.

There's a cost of living crisis and you are moaning about kids being offered free bus travel. Incredible.

If it doesn't make a real difference it won't gain them any support.

There are hardly going to be families around Scotland going

"Who shall we vote for?'

"Well SNP introduced that free bus pass for little Tarquin that we don't use"

"SNP it is!"

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It is given to those who apply. Any kid that doesn't require a bus pass will not be forced to take one.

There's a cost of living crisis and you are moaning about kids being offered free bus travel. Incredible.

I think free food and electricity and gas might be more helpful than bus travel. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's quite obviously a gesture designed to gain support for the SNP rather than make any real difference to those who need it most.

Yep. Freebie Scotland. All welcome , but only if you vote for Indy. 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think free food and electricity and gas might be more helpful than bus travel. 

No shit. :lol:

Not exactly realistic though is it?

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep. Freebie Scotland. All welcome , but only if you vote for Indy. 

Yet you don't have to vote SNP or yes to independence for a free bus pass. :thumbsup:

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Ray Gin said:

No shit. :lol:

Not exactly realistic though is it?

The budget from that could have went to projects which provide financial or practical support to those  struggling. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Yet you don't have to vote SNP or yes to independence for a free bus pass. :thumbsup:

Its a bribe . Nothing more nothing less. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Its a bribe . Nothing more nothing less. 

You have an odd understanding of how bribes work.

Lord Montpelier
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

This could well be the current cabinet...

DEARLjDWsAEa-ya?format=jpg&name=small

Swinney is definitely the one in the middle

frankblack
19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You have an odd understanding of how bribes work.

No, its a clear electoral bribe.  Rather than invest in health services they are wasting money on free bus passes which aren't means tested.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No, its a clear electoral bribe.  Rather than invest in health services they are wasting money on free bus passes which aren't means tested.

Nice policies = electoral bribes

You guys are beyond parody. :lol:

The Dragon Reborn
6 hours ago, jonesy said:

This could well be the current cabinet...

DEARLjDWsAEa-ya?format=jpg&name=small

Jackie Baillie defected?