SNP and Greens coalition.

ri Alban

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Eh…we’re no independent. 
It’s the U.K. who is extracting the oil. 

A73CA4A6-3C9E-47CC-88CB-3461BCEC3BBD.jpeg

Scotland is still part of the U.K. so still have Some blame , or does Scotland only want to own up to the good things we do ? ( can’t really think of that many tbh currently ) 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Council and Housing Association rents have gone up a bit in recent years. Not sure the average. But give people a decent security as well as more affordable for private rents. Other benefits too such as access to jobs 

Yes there has been a rise but still decent rents for those on lower incomes . 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No longer Scotland's oil. That immediately makes the Scottish Government green. Surprised Greta doesn't know that. What was the plan for independence in 2014?

We’ve never had control of the oil. Ever. 
After a Yes in 2014 we were still extracting it the headline would be correct. It’s not. 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Scotland is still part of the U.K. so still have Some blame , or does Scotland only want to own up to the good things we do ? ( can’t really think of that many tbh currently ) 

The Scotsman’s headline is about Scotland not being green. We’ve never had any control of that oil. Ever. 

Edited by jack D and coke

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

After a Yes in 2014 we were still extracting it the headline would be correct. It’s not. 

The Scotsman’s headline is about Scotland not being green. We’ve never had any control of that oil. Ever. 

Why did the SNP say 'its Scotland's oil's? 

Because they were interested in the environment?

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Or the price. Alba man's referendum white paper predicted £7.5bn for 2015. Actual revenue £2.2bn. White paper shite paper! said Greta. 😅

jack D and coke

Why did the SNP say 'its Scotland's oil's? 

Because they were interested in the environment?

A slogan. Nobody was interested in the environment back when that slogan was first bandied about. 

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It's more about principle though, no? 

Nicola Sturgeon could come out tomorrow and say she wants no more new extraction and call for the oil and gas industry to be wound down. As you say, she's limited in her power to do so but it is the principle of the thing that counts. 

Much like the SNP oppose nuclear weapons. They can't do anything about it but the principle matters as much as the practicality of it.

As it stands, the SNP want oil and gas to continue to play a major part of the Scottish economy. You can see why they do. The Greens will give them some cover on green issues, but it doesn't seem to have changed the underlying desire to maintain a major oil and gas industry going forward.

jack D and coke
Just now, JamboX2 said:

Nicola Sturgeon could come out tomorrow and say she wants no more new extraction and call for the oil and gas industry to be wound down. As you say, she's limited in her power to do so but it is the principle of the thing that counts. 

Much like the SNP oppose nuclear weapons. They can't do anything about it but the principle matters as much as the practicality of it.

As it stands, the SNP want oil and gas to continue to play a major part of the Scottish economy. You can see why they do. The Greens will give them some cover on green issues, but it doesn't seem to have changed the underlying desire to maintain a major oil and gas industry going forward.

Youre clever enough to know that oil extraction isn’t stopping anytime soon. It’s not just for running your SUV. 
My point was pedantic but bang on the cash. 
The Scotsman ran a silly headline. A joke of a paper with that name it really is. 

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Or the price. Alba man's referendum white paper predicted £7.5bn for 2015. Actual revenue £2.2bn. White paper shite paper! said Greta. 😅

Who can predict the future? What about some of the brexit predictions? They been right enough?

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

A big thumbs doon from the Gretmeister for oor green fingered dream team. 

A big thumbs doon for the UK Gov too.

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

I think there are good strides being made in terms of seeking renewable energy sources, however the reality is that we'll be reliant on oil, gas and all the associated by products for a long number of years to come. 

Arguing about whether Scotland is green or not is irrelevant. No country on the planet is green or would be considered green by the likes of Thunberg. it's all about taking steps forward to make it better IMO.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I think there are good strides being made in terms of seeking renewable energy sources, however the reality is that we'll be reliant on oil, gas and all the associated by products for a long number of years to come. 

Arguing about whether Scotland is green or not is irrelevant. No country on the planet is green or would be considered green by the likes of Thunberg. it's all about taking steps forward to make it better IMO.

:spoton:

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Meh. It would do us all a spot of good if we could look at the world through her eyes for a spell.

**** that.

She makes a lot of the halfwits on here look positively cheery. 

19 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So the oil is UK's responsibility.

Is all the renewable energy Scotland's? 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No but like the oil and gas it’s mostly all coming from here again. 
A paper like the Scotsman that actively runs headlines and stories and tries to stop scotland controlling its resources but then runs a headline about us not being green enough like we actually have control and we’re continuing to extract when we have no say over it at all :lol: 

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm not really sure of your angle here.

I don't know. Is the oil the UK's responsibility? you appear to have a view.  

Where does the responsibility for the oil or gas end? At point of extraction or point of final use as gas or petrol or paint or plastic or any of the other derived products? Is that a governmental responsibility or a personal one based on your consumption of oil and gas based products?

Is the renewable energy Scotland's? Technically probably not. It probably belongs to whoever generated it. However Scotland appears to be more receptive to the technology and those seeking to generate power by wind/water etc. 

Is this an SNP BAAAAAD thing or not?

40 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Who can predict the future? What about some of the brexit predictions? They been right enough?

I get why krankies want to change the subject. 😀 Greta says naw.

The Mighty Thor

Good that the SNP are taking all the credit for renewable energy then.

Just the clever catch phrase missing. 

You're contributing to the renewable credential of Scotland.

Full of wind.

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Let's stay on the subject. This is what she said:

"No… I mean, there are some countries that do a bit more than certain others, but then if we look at it from a broader perspective then I think we can safely say there are no countries – at least in the global north – that are even doing close to what would be needed.”

She's saying "naw" to the entire global north, yet you seem to be considering this some sort of win for the Union. Bizarre.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You're contributing to the renewable credential of Scotland.

Full of wind.

Okay.

Praising the UK Government for renewable energy maybe something the SNP could do more then. 

The Mighty Thor

Okay.

Praising the UK Government for renewable energy maybe something the SNP could do more then. 

I've got no idea of what the rest of the UK are doing with major scalable renewable projects. Do you?

I do know that the Scottish Government are promoting major renewable projects which is a good thing for everyone and not a shite point scoring exercise IMO.

jack D and coke

To your masters she did aye. Can you read? 🤣

Listening to a guy on radio this morning.

He posed the question of how many people do you know who work in/on renewables.I knew a few via the wind farm construction side.

Was wondering if any of you knew many?

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

"No… I mean, there are some countries that do a bit more than certain others, but then if we look at it from a broader perspective then I think we can safely say there are no countries – at least in the global north – that are even doing close to what would be needed.”

She's saying "naw" to the entire global north, yet you seem to be considering this some sort of win for the Union. Bizarre.

It does seem as if theres not really serious moves towards what is needed done from the countries that should be doing it.

Moving towards battery operated cars does just as much if not more damage.

I am pessimistic about what will be done tbh.

21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Makes sense she's a nawbag though. How would a newly impoverished iScotland meet emission and other environmental targets when it can't make ends meet? Coal will be back as a necessity as it's a cheap resource in Scotland. 10 million metric tons of untapped open cast reserves. The snp will also be desperate to increase north sea revenue and production. The snp's sham marriage wouldn't survive iScotland. Greta sees right through this mob. 😅

Edited by JackLadd

9 minutes ago, Ked said:

Listening to a guy on radio this morning.

He posed the question of how many people do you know who work in/on renewables.I knew a few via the wind farm construction side.

Was wondering if any of you knew many?

I know of one and he says renewables are absolutely flourishing but not reported enough. We know who's responsible for energy though so they wouldn't want to put Scotland in a good light, would they! He's a Labour supporter unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I've got no idea of what the rest of the UK are doing with major scalable renewable projects. Do you?

I do know that the Scottish Government are promoting major renewable projects which is a good thing for everyone and not a shite point scoring exercise IMO.

Point scoring.

Suppose that's something the Independence seeking SNP would never do. 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Makes sense she's a nawbag though. How would a newly impoverished iScotland meet emission and other environmental targets when it can't make ends meet? Coal will be back as a necessity as it's a cheap resource in Scotland. 10 million metric tons of untapped open cast reserves. The snp will also be desperate to increase north sea revenue and production. The snp's sham marriage wouldn't survive iScotland. Greta sees right through this mob. 😅

Too right M8.

She's at it already.

Sturgeon is just about to grant a mining license for a huge new coal mine in Cumbria, which goes right against her stated aim of COP26 which is to persuade countries to ditch the exploitation of coal.

Desperate stuff. 

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Point scoring.

Suppose that's something the Independence seeking SNP would never do. 

To be fair you came on thinking you were on an easy winner with the usual anti-SNP stuff but as is generally the case the headlines and the story don't tie up.  

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Desperate stuff. 

Desperate as in life in an iScotland? Anyway, Greta says naw. Greta Nawberg.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

To be fair you came on thinking you were on an easy winner with the usual anti-SNP stuff but as is generally the case the headlines and the story don't tie up.  

SNP talk a lot of renewables. Just not much about who is making it happen.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

SNP talk a lot of renewables. Just not much about who is making it happen.

The SNP are not a power generating company. All they can really do is make conditions attractive for the power generating companies to invest in Scotland. This is something they have been actively doing over the last 10 years. Scotland is very much ahead of the rest of the UK in this field. 

Individuals should also be incentivised and encouraged but what doesn't help is the ending of the feed in tariff scheme in 2019 to be replaced by a pretty poor replacement scheme. 

This was/is a reserved matter and if the various UK governments were serious about renewables they'd be driving it forward not cutting the incentives. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Greta continuing to rustle middle aged men’s jimmies it seems😂

:jj:

Swahili Jambo
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Too right M8.

She's at it already.

Sturgeon is just about to grant a mining license for a huge new coal mine in Cumbria, which goes right against her stated aim of COP26 which is to persuade countries to ditch the exploitation of coal.

Excellent, wee Nic now has cross border power to legislate over England.  Would you care to elaborate further on what you really meant, just to clear things up for us thickos?

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

Excellent, wee Nic now has cross border power to legislate over England.  Would you care to elaborate further on what you really meant, just to clear things up for us thickos?

He’s being sarcy mate…

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s being sarcy mate…

Last I heard the project was running out of money and were needing new investors, might not go ahead anyway, even if it got approved, which there is no guarantee off.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

This thread is beautiful.

Tears and snotters everywhere....love it.

A few cages being rattled.

Swahili Jambo
43 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s being sarcy mate…

I know, it's really quite funny though calling him out and watching him flounder in his UJ angst!!  

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Swahili Jambo said:

I know, it's really quite funny though calling him out and watching him flounder in his UJ angst!!  

I think you’ve got the wrong guy lol

6 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Well we both agree to an extent. After all that's why it's net zero not zero.

I still think it matters as a point of principle and I don't think what you've said excuses that. The First Minister has moved it off her to ask the UKG to review Cambo. Again, fair enough. But as she desires independence then knowing what her govt would do with that power isn't a huge leap of a question and knowing what her view on it would be an indication of what her govt would do with that power.

I think Scotland has made good strides but the Scottish Government has massively missed its own climate and green energy targets for many a year now. The anticipated growth in green manufacturing has also been smaller and less effective than promised: the majority of Scottish renewables turbines etc are imported for example.

It's progress nonetheless but not good progress nor what was promised. 

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Well we both agree to an extent. After all that's why it's net zero not zero.

I still think it matters as a point of principle and I don't think what you've said excuses that. The First Minister has moved it off her to ask the UKG to review Cambo. Again, fair enough. But as she desires independence then knowing what her govt would do with that power isn't a huge leap of a question and knowing what her view on it would be an indication of what her govt would do with that power.

I think Scotland has made good strides but the Scottish Government has massively missed its own climate and green energy targets for many a year now. The anticipated growth in green manufacturing has also been smaller and less effective than promised: the majority of Scottish renewables turbines etc are imported for example.

It's progress nonetheless but not good progress nor what was promised. 

I don't disagree with any that. As I said earlier it's not a topic to be donning your political rosette over. They've all been shite at it so far. 

Actually I think we could all do more if we are being honest. It'll take radical thinking and a fair bit of sacrifice if countries or indeed individuals are to get anywhere near where we need to be to affect any real change on the climate. 

The next grenade with the pin out is the obsession with electric vehicles. It's akin to betting on Betamax.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Swahili Jambo said:

we're gonna need a bigger boat!

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Swahili Jambo said:

:cornette_dog: :rofl:

We (well a lot of countries) do everything we can to save the planet . . . . then mankind,  more than likely, will get wiped out by an asteroid.   

57 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

We (well a lot of countries) do everything we can to save the planet . . . . then mankind,  more than likely, will get wiped out by an asteroid.   

Can’t control everything. No point in going about polluting and destroying the only planet we have because we might get wiped out by an asteroid one day.