SNP and Greens coalition.

ri Alban

JudyJudyJudy
45 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You want to talk or meme 😂

Well your comment about how your children might meet “ better “ people by attending private schools ! I think you’ll find most of the scoundrels in Govt are privately educated ! It no way means they will meet “ better “ people . Yes maybe “ better “ connected people who perpetuate the “ old boys network “ of nepotism 

Edited by JamesM48

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Swahili Jambo
59 minutes ago, windsor1874 said:

Do you wonder why?! Imagine thinking you're kids will meet "better" people because their mum and dad's have money. How tragic is that mindset!

It's beyond tragic and complete nonsense as well.  

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

It's beyond tragic and complete nonsense as well.  

It depends how you define 'better'.

Better people? Absolutely not, but that's not really what LBJ was getting at.

Better connections? Absolutely. I've seen it first-hand over and over.

To deny that a public school education provides a person with a competitive advantage is crazy. Whether that person possess the nous to capitalise on this advantage is another thing altogether.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It was pretty clear I was talking in business/networking sense. So best not to take ‘better’ out of context for some faux offended. 

You don’t disagree it makes for better connections/networking either 😂 

The game of life, is what is. I don’t make the rules. I can either moan about something, I can’t influence or play the game in a way to maximise success. I kind of take the latter approach as you can imagine. 

I’m going to do everything in my power to give my kids the best opportunities they can get. That’s my motivation, not some belief people are better as they come from money.

Though money does take away at lot of problems. The outcomes for affluent backgrounds are much preferable over poor backgrounds in pretty much ever aspect of life, for so many reason. Only a fool would pretend it doesn’t. 

Life isn’t fair and not all things are equal. 

You said “ better contacts / friends “ that’s slightly different . In other words their friends in private schools would have “ better “ qualities / personality and characteristics . That’s what I take from that . It’s a value judgement . 

Konrad von Carstein
40 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s like everything pluses and minuses. 

It doesn’t make people smarter most that comes from the parents via combination of genetics, surroundings and teaching. 

Also glad your daughter took after her mum👍

You cheeky swine! :lol:

Cheeky and at the same time correct :(

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s a follow on from a conversation with KVC talking about the old boys network. 

The ‘others words’ are your words not mines I said contacts/friends. I  never said better quality/personality or even people. that’s your and others changing the words I used to fit your own narrative tbqfhwy. 

I have also clarified exactly what I meant, which you agree with 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t want to go on about it but you explicitly state sending them to private schools they will  make “ better “ friends “ . This is irrespective thAt  these friends can use their influence to connect your kids to various advantages ( networking ) . It’s the definition of “ better “ which is value laden . 

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Better contacts/friends is what I said. Why do you think I used contacts? 

I have also clarified exactly what I mean.

Can we at least agree now, that your interpretation of what I said is incorrect. Irrespective of whether that’s down your interpretation or my writing🤷🏻‍♂️

sopranos-grandma.gif

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Better contacts/friends is what I said. Why do you think I used contacts? 

I have also clarified exactly what I mean.

Can we at least agree now, that your interpretation of what I said is incorrect. Irrespective of whether that’s down your interpretation or my writing🤷🏻‍♂️

8C57E871-116A-4D25-A9F1-2DF8A171ADE9.gif

Jeffros Furios

If yer spawn is going to a private school make sure it's not the chav ones like Watsons and Heriots .

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It depends how you define 'better'.

Better people? Absolutely not, but that's not really what LBJ was getting at.

Better connections? Absolutely. I've seen it first-hand over and over.

To deny that a public school education provides a person with a competitive advantage is crazy. Whether that person possess the nous to capitalise on this advantage is another thing altogether.

It clearly does give an advantage. 

And whether someone has nous or not they're likely to get on better than someone of similar abilities who was state educated. 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

If yer spawn is going to a private school make sure it's not the chav ones like Watsons and Heriots .

Correct, Jeffros.

The state of the toothless wee schemies pouring out of the Watson's school gates and past the Kilted Pig is enough to put you off your pint.

Strathallan for the Tarkin boys or gtf.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Jeffros Furios
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Correct, Jeffros.

The state of the toothless wee schemies pouring out of the school gates and past the Kilted Pig is enough to put you off your pint.

As long as they partake  in cricket and rugby all will be good .

Junior no1 was speaking to uncle Jeffros earlier and you can detect his distain for commoners .

Jamstomorrow

I  think in life, whether you are not so well off or rich, privately educated or state school educated, it is not necessarily what you know, but who that can make the difference.   

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Half of the gangs go to Watsons nowadays

Correct. It's no longer exclusive enough. Sad times.

11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Jeezo - the Bar-Ox boys have changed since their hayday...

🎼  Cruentum caput calce in es iens impetro vestri. 

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

As long as they partake  in cricket and rugby all will be good .

Junior no1 was speaking to uncle Jeffros earlier and you can detect his distain for commoners .

Essential to provide a solid grounding in class hatred along with their 5 a day, Jeffros.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great news, Independence just gets closer every day. 

It would appear that your typing fingers are already independent of your rational faculty, PfK. You might want to get that looked at. :(

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It would appear that your typing fingers are already independent of your rational faculty, PfK. You might want to get that looked at. :(

:biggrin2:

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Is it not the charitable status of some of these schools that folk object to?

Yes, you're right Guv. It is the charitable status for most folks. 

The Greens want to go further though and commandeer all the school buildings and convert them in to accomodation blocks for one-legged, bearded transistors,  Urdu translators and "people who are pregnant". 

Correct, Jeffros.

The state of the toothless wee schemies pouring out of the Watson's school gates and past the Kilted Pig is enough to put you off your pint.

Yip, you need to pay a damned sight more than 12k a year if you want to steer clear of the riff raff.👍

4 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I have no gripe with private education, none at all, if I'd had the wherewithal my daughter may well have went to one (one of the less expensive one TBF but non the less)

However, I do have issues with the advantages and old school tie connotations it can provide when people are looking for work.

I've seen several privately educated people taken on at a place I used to work for purely because the MD was also privately educated and was an utter snob...said people were bang average, borderline useless!

Bursaries and assisted places should be far easier to obtain and more of them made available especially when schools claim charitable status. All in my opinion.

The bit in bold deserves some praise, well said!

Great post. Agree with everything you said there.

Completely humbled with the praise KvC, it's like Rudi Skacel telling me I've got a cultured left foot!

Konrad von Carstein
23 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Great post. Agree with everything you said there.

Completely humbled with the praise KvC, it's like Rudi Skacel telling me I've got a cultured left foot!

Dinny, am fillin up here 🥺😂

Konrad von Carstein

Correct. It's no longer exclusive enough. Sad times.

🎼  Cruentum caput calce in es iens impetro vestri. 

Not going to Google that as I fear it is none too complimentary...

:berra:

Hello, We're Bar-Ox (2021 version)

image.png.c36f3414494ad830f6afa232fb372852.png

JudyJudyJudy
49 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

😂

You either have class or not . Money. Cant buy it . Perfect example is someone like Cilla Black . Sending a child to private school doesn’t mean than are any better than public educated kids . Just means they probably have better chances to “succeed “ ,in life . That ofcourse depends on how One Evaluates adult success . 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That ofcourse depends on how One Evaluates adult success . 

Waking up in the morning is a victory, tbh. 🤷‍♂️

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

How do you evaluate adult success as a matter of interest? 

Peruvian flake and hookers.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What did Cilla Black do?

How do you evaluate adult success as a matter of interest? I get its a very individual thing, just interested. 

Oh she was a working class girl who became a Tory mouth piece at elections . She had zero class but plenty wealth . 

Adult success ? 

Probably working full time / part time . Self respect for yourself . if not able to work contributing something else to society 

Behind kind and concerned about others welfare and realising we are in the this together ( “ everything connects “) 

Bring involved in things which interest you and progress mankind . In particular climate issues 

Not doing time ! ( although some “ crimes “  or offences may be morally acceptable ( again depends on ones perspective and morality ) 

Supporting HMFC 

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Fair enough on Cila Black, outside blind date and surprise surprise not a clue

Thanks for answer was just interested.

My reply probably a bit flowery ! But basically being a good person as such. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

You either have class or not . Money. Cant buy it . Perfect example is someone like Cilla Black . Sending a child to private school doesn’t mean than are any better than public educated kids . Just means they probably have better chances to “succeed “ ,in life . That ofcourse depends on how One Evaluates adult success . 

👍

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sounds like a night out at the local😂

I had to Google that first part of his answer . I’m a wee bit naive at times 😎

7 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

What did Cilla Black do?

How do you evaluate adult success as a matter of interest? I get its a very individual thing, just interested. 

That's actually a good question. 

On 29/08/2021 at 13:51, Enzo Chiefo said:

😂

Yes, but interfering with the law of supply and demand will not end well.

Landlords have huge overheads, repair bills, regulations to comply with, Council certificates to obtain, tax liabilities etc etc. Reducing their meagre gains may well force many just to sell the house and cash in that way.

Building affordable rented housing is the correct answer. 

An issue that shows the limits of the so called 'left of centre' Scottish Government. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Everyone favourite activists Greta Thunberg, questioning Scotland’s green credentials. 

Not just Scotland's, the entire global north. 

"No… I mean, there are some countries that do a bit more than certain others, but then if we look at it from a broader perspective then I think we can safely say there are no countries – at least in the global north – that are even doing close to what would be needed.”

Edited by Ray Gin

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Everyone favourite activists Greta Thunberg, questioning Scotland’s green credentials. 

I like wee Greta.

It's important that idealists have a platform.

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I like wee Greta.

She should join here. 

Some of her bat shit mental rants wouldn't even put her in the top 10 posters.  

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

She should join here. 

Some of her bat shit mental rants wouldn't even put her in the top 10 posters.  

Meh. It would do us all a spot of good if we could look at the world through her eyes for a spell.

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Building affordable rented housing is the correct answer. 

An issue that shows the limits of the so called 'left of centre' Scottish Government. 

True “ affordable housing “ today is affordable to who exactly ? 

14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I like wee Greta.

👍👍

JudyJudyJudy

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

A big thumbs doon from the Gretmeister for oor green fingered dream team. 

She’s an expert on global warming so fair enough.

:illogical:

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

She’s an expert on global warming so fair enough.

:illogical:

The lassie knows her stuff true. Too much pungent hot air emanating from the dream team for her liking. Greta Nawberg. 

jack D and coke

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

True “ affordable housing “ today is affordable to who exactly ? 

👍👍

Council and Housing Association rents have gone up a bit in recent years. Not sure the average. But give people a decent security as well as more affordable for private rents. Other benefits too such as access to jobs 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Eh…we’re no independent. 
It’s the U.K. who is extracting the oil. 

A73CA4A6-3C9E-47CC-88CB-3461BCEC3BBD.jpeg

No longer Scotland's oil. That immediately makes the Scottish Government green. Surprised Greta doesn't know that. What was the plan for independence in 2014?