Afghanistan

HartleyLegend3

1 minute ago, Tynieman said:

“UK First”

Sounds familiar...

FFF30DA2-C010-4E1D-A3F5-1DF6F1EB41DC.jpeg

Is that supposed to offend me?

Is there any country on the planet who does not put their own first?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Sharpie

36 minutes ago, Cade said:

A] We have an obligation to the people in Afghanistan who worked for us during our occupation.

B] Any Afghan has the right to claim asylum anywhere they want and those nations have an obligation to take them in.

C] Even Arsehole Patel couldn't get away with actually sending people back to Afghanistan. She'll probably still try though.

Certainly all interpreters, Afghan Special Forces, Spies, Diplomats, Journalists and their families, as well as any Tribal leaders who fought the Taliban should have been evacuated and granted Asylum somewhere safe. The Taliban will now kill them all.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Are you seriously using last year?

:rofl:

The USA does not take in 1,000,000 refugees a year as you very erroneously claimed, nowhere near. Even before Trump it took in varying numbers, but not often more than 5 figures.

1202035872_Screenshotat2021-08-1616-00-35.png.6defb78cb17a44761cdee0f912369e75.png

In addition, it is no longer the country that takes in the most refugees. Canada is.

Please at least do the minimum of research before spouting bullshit. Many thanks.

Just now, redjambo said:

The USA does not take in 1,000,000 refugees a year as you very erroneously claimed, nowhere near. Even before Trump it took in varying numbers, but not often more than 5 figures.

1202035872_Screenshotat2021-08-1616-00-35.png.6defb78cb17a44761cdee0f912369e75.png

In addition, it is no longer the country that takes in the most refugees. Canada is.

Please at least do the minimum of research before spouting bullshit. Many thanks.

I meant immigrants and corrected myself above.

No country on the planet takes in more immigrants every year than the USA.

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I meant immigrants tho - this correction is very important.

In that case you should have thought more carefully before posting a "fact" that was actually irrelevant to the discussion on asylum and the resettlement of refugees.

Just now, redjambo said:

In that case you should have thought more carefully before posting a "fact" that was actually irrelevant to the discussion on asylum and the resettlement of refugees.

Q. Do you believe all refugees are genuine?

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Is that supposed to offend me?

Is there any country on the planet who does not put their own first?

Nope, I wouldn’t expect it to offend you as I believe you are cut from the same cloth.

Just now, Tynieman said:

Nope, I wouldn’t expect it to offend you as I believe you are cut from the same cloth.

Know almost nothing about BF and I have never voted for them.

I like the union flag though so I guess you got me.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I meant immigrants and corrected myself above.

No country on the planet takes in more immigrants every year than the USA.

Well, that's cos it's a country built on the blood and sweat of lowly paid migrant workers, no?

Let's not pretend they are letting a large percentage of these people in out of the goodness of their hearts.

Just now, Sooperstar said:

Well, that's cos it's a country built on the blood and sweat of lowly paid migrant workers, no?

Let's not pretend they are letting a large percentage of these people in out of the goodness of their hearts.

Know many countries who do not have a dark past?

7 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

“UK First”

Sounds familiar...

Strong Britain, Great Nation.

Tear to a glass eye m8. 

:sob:

Illustrated by the fact that the two largest origin countries for immigration to the USA are China and India. 

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Know many countries who do not have a dark past?

I'm talking about the present day. The US let most of these people in because they are cheap labour and good for the economy. That's not a criticism of the US by the way, but you're holding up their large immigration numbers as if they're doing it as a favour.

Just now, redjambo said:

Illustrated by the fact that the two largest origin countries for immigration to the USA are China and India. 

Surely that is the same for most Western countries, hence those 2 countries make up 40% of the planet?

I'm talking about the present day. The US let most of these people in because they are cheap labour and good for the economy. That's not a criticism of the US by the way, but you're holding up their large immigration numbers as if they're doing it as a favour.

All countries do that.  France for example has a large percentage of old colonial country residents in.  The UK also to name but 2.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Immigration should never be a favour, it should always be to the benefit of the country. 

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

All countries do that.  France for example has a large percentage of old colonial country residents in.  The UK also to name but 2.

Yep. Also not doing it as a favour.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Immigration should never be a favour, it should always be to the benefit of the country. 

So what point was it you were trying to make when highlighting the US's large* immigration numbers?

*as an aside the number of foreign nationals in the US has only gone up by about 4 million in the last 10 years, so even accounting for deaths their net immigration numbers must be a fair amount below 1 million annually.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Surely that is the same for most Western countries, hence those 2 countries make up 40% of the planet?

Nope. As one example, the country that accepts the next largest number of permanent immigrants, Germany, who took in 860,100 permanent immigrants in 2017, took these migrants in mostly from Romania, Syria, Poland and Bulgaria. I imagine that Syria will have had a humanitarian aspect, while workers from Romania, Poland and Bulgaria will I imagine not work for as little as those from China and India would due to their respective economic systems.

Anyway, we're getting off the point now. This thread is about Afghanistan, the West's involvement in the country and its decision to leave, and the fate of those remaining in the country, including the refugee problem that will no doubt ensue. It is not about worker immigration.

Things in Kabul city itself quiet, Taliban acting as police on the streets.

Russian ambassador due to have a wee meeting with them tomorrow.

Biden to make statement around 7:45pm GMT (18:45 BST)

August 5th: Austria, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Greece and Germany refuse to stop deporting failed asylum seekers back to Afghanistan.

August 16th: Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany and also France have suspended deportation flights.

Austria and Greece remain defiant, actually sending people TO Afghanistan.

Priti Patel said to be almost sexually excited by all this.

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Things in Kabul city itself quiet, Taliban acting as police on the streets.

Russian ambassador due to have a wee meeting with them tomorrow.

Biden to make statement around 7:45pm GMT (18:45 BST)

Let us hope it is no more than 10 words or the dithering fool will still be making it at 10:45 GMT.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

August 5th: Austria, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Greece and Germany refuse to stop deporting failed asylum seekers back to Afghanistan.

August 16th: Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany and also France have suspended deportation flights.

You are the one that seems sexually excited by the thought of refugees coming in man.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

The *very least* we could do at this moment in time is to say to asylum seekers from Afghanistan currently in the system "Nah, you're good. Welcome to the UK."

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You are the one that seems sexually excited by the thought of refugees coming in man.

Sexually excited because he would like our country to give folk the opportunity of life, liberty, and freedom from oppression and torture?

You have sunk to a new low here, i8.

Edited by redjambo

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Sexually excited because he would like our country to give folk the gift of life, liberty, and freedom from oppression and torture?

You have sunk to a new low here, i8.

Since when did Afrghanistan have exclusive billing for life and liberty? We do lots.

How am I sinking low?

33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Know almost nothing about BF and I have never voted for them.

I like the union flag though so I guess you got me.

You use very similar rhetoric.

"a war begun for no wise purpose, carried on with a strange mixture of rashness and timidity, brought to a close after suffering and disaster, without much glory attached either to the government which directed, or the great body of troops which waged it. Not one benefit, political or military, was acquired with this war. Our eventual evacuation of the country resembled the retreat of an army defeated”

In 1843 British army chaplain G.R. Gleig wrote a memoir of the disastrous (First) Anglo-Afghan War

If only we erected statues to commemorate our Imperial history .....

43 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

“UK First”

Sounds familiar...

Another good reason for me ignoring the poster you quoted 

I wonder if Afghanistan's placement on the red list for travel will need reviewed to widen the scope of who can travel to the UK from the country

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

That's what we get for hanging on the coattails of the USA.  

Special relationship when they need us 

Has Blair shown his face over the last couple of days?   ****er should be locked up. 

We have paid a heavy debt of loyalty although it took the attack on Pearl Harbour to make up their mind, to the Americans who by numbers alone helped us win when we were in dire need in WW2. We have paid heavily since, such as Korea, and later Afghanistan. It would be easy to discard any American assistance, but could we on our own deal with aggression by say Russia or China.

23 hours ago, Boab said:

You’re right. 
Saudi Arabians did though !

Yeah but we showed them!

Oh wait. No we didn’t. They’re our pals.

We showed their neighbours 

J.T.F.Robertson
51 minutes ago, RobboM said:

"a war begun for no wise purpose, carried on with a strange mixture of rashness and timidity, brought to a close after suffering and disaster, without much glory attached either to the government which directed, or the great body of troops which waged it. Not one benefit, political or military, was acquired with this war. Our eventual evacuation of the country resembled the retreat of an army defeated”

In 1843 British army chaplain G.R. Gleig wrote a memoir of the disastrous (First) Anglo-Afghan War

If only we erected statues to commemorate our Imperial history .....

The more things change ....... 

5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Yeah but we showed them!

Oh wait. No we didn’t. They’re our pals.

We showed their neighbours 

Pals alright.

Only people who were allowed to fly the day after 9/11 were the Bin Laden family and other high ranking Saudi officials.

You can bet your boots the same happened here. 

HartleyLegend3

Nice of Raab to join us. 

So from the Cobra meeting the decision was, let's try and get back as many interpreters we can...

30 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

It's worth taking him off ignore on threads like this just to marvel at his stupidity. 😁

That is thinking outside the box 

1 minute ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Nice of Raab to join us. 

So from the Cobra meeting the decision was, let's try and get back as many interpreters we can...

Were gonna need them for the next time.

14 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

We have paid a heavy debt of loyalty although it took the attack on Pearl Harbour to make up their mind, to the Americans who by numbers alone helped us win when we were in dire need in WW2. We have paid heavily since, such as Korea, and later Afghanistan. It would be easy to discard any American assistance, but could we on our own deal with aggression by say Russia or China.

Are these threats from Russia and china real or just to worry us into always backing them incase we need them?  

16 minutes ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Nice of Raab to join us. 

I wouldn’t trust Raab to take my bins out and not make a JH of it !

10 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Are these threats from Russia and china real or just to worry us into always backing them incase we need them?  

We've all been asking that for 70 years. 

They are a threat.
Just not really a military one in terms of territorial conquest nor nuclear armageddon.
These days it's cyber warfare, political influence and money.

Savage Vince
33 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Could we on our own deal with aggression by say Russia or China.

Probably not. Britain loves war.  We're just not as good at it as we once were. So we, by and large, bomb places that can't bomb back. 

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

They are a threat.
Just not really a military one in terms of territorial conquest nor nuclear armageddon.

You mentioned Patel in another post.   Did you see the headline this morning where she says to tackle the drug problem, it's about time we started naming and shaming middle class drug users? 

That's her current strategy to deal with this.  Ffs 

Doctor FinnBarr
19 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

You mentioned Patel in another post.   Did you see the headline this morning where she says to tackle the drug problem, it's about time we started naming and shaming middle class drug users? 

I could name at least 2 in my street alone (more lower class scumbag dealer types TBH) but don't fancy the petrol through the letterbox scenario.

28 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Then she'd better name half of her own party.

37 minutes ago, Cade said:

They are a threat.

China is quietly pumping billions into Africa under the radar. Gonna get messy at some point but probably not for a long time yet, they are traditionally happy to play a very long game.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Then she'd better name half of her own party.

Bingo!  I hope she starts with Gove.  Then so she balances things out, the the london mayor.   His dark eyes come from hours of gaming?