***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Mr Elwood P
25 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That’s a bit of a cop out. If we are as good as some people are trying to make out we are we should win regardless of history. 

Not sure anyone is making out that we are amazing? I am personally feeling positive about the change in system to the 3-4-3 and the 10 game unbeaten run this had produced. A loss today would be a setback for sure but history tells us it is a hard place to go. If we win or draw the run continues and we can look forward to the challenge of Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs …

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Governor Tarkin

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

Any score that starts St Mirren 0 will do. And I don't care if we win with slow, turgid  boring football as long as we win. Losing with flair is for Hobbits.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

There is a minor added complications with Liewdown - I think Goodwin has them playing vaguely better football than normal so they are not as shite as they usually are when we don’t beat them at theirs.

Maybe that will benefit us as they will play more openly??

it’s true of course but man for man we have better players. No excuses not to pick up a result. And if we do lose - the performance has to be there 

19 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

This is a huge test for Neilson.

He must well aware that a huge percentage of our support are still not convinced that he is the man to take us forward. Many will simply not tolerate defeats to perceived lesser teams. 

Equally important I think, is that he does not revert to slow, lethargic, negative, percentage football, away from home again.

In my opinion, his only hope of redemption, is to open up, and actually have a go in all away grounds.

I honestly think we are capable of a 1-4 win today, and something like that would send a message out to the rest of the league.

It would transform the way most away teams set their teams up at Tynecastle again. Games are often won or lost before they have even started, and we need this fear factor back.

I agree.  I don’t know why but the 10-11 season always sticks in my mind. It was JJs first full season back after returning in Feb that year. 

In typical fashion, he expressed a belief in his team that they could go anywhere and take the game to the opposition. In our second game away to Hamilton, we won 4-0. Templeton, Elliot , Kyle etc.. leading the charge. 

We went on to have a superb away record. Something like winning 9 out of the first dozen away.  Looking at Hearts now we are set up to have a go at teams. Ginnelly and GMS with pace to burn. Boyce through the middle linking the play.  

If he doesn’t tap into the ability he has at his disposal and engineer it positively, questions will be asked.

Voice of reason
16 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That’s a bit of a cop out. If we are as good as some people are trying to make out we are we should win regardless of history. 

The ‘Neilson Out’ brigade preparing the ground work early for their campaign of total negativity to continue today, whatever the result and however well we play. 

Objectively, St Mirren are a strong contender for the top 6 - anyone claiming we should always beat possible top 6 teams away from home is setting us up to fail and probably with a thinly hidden agenda behind it.

The main thing for me is competing throughout and trying to win. If we do that and lose 1-0 then that’s just football. They will have chances as well as they are a decent team. Should be a highly competitive game - I don’t imagine even Rangers see a visit there as easy just now.

33 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I agree. Like good records, bad records are there to be broken. 

What I can’t take is the way some Hearts fans bizarrely use a bad record as some sort of get out for the current team/manager if they lose.  🤷🏼‍♂️

Let’s get the mentality sorted and go and reverse recent trends!

34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah

Win- the rabid gang will go missing and jkb will generally be pleasant for the next week. 

Draw- the rosters who think we should win every game will be moaning, most will see an away draw as decent and a good building block. 

Lose - Everyone will be pissed off but the rabid gang will have most players as shite and want everyone oot. Some will be happy as a fly in shite and have a great Saturday night on here ( the gang you won't here from if we win). 

An away draw at St.Mirren decent 😅🤣😂

1 minute ago, Voice of reason said:

The ‘Neilson Out’ brigade preparing the ground work early for their campaign of total negativity to continue today, whatever the result and however well we play. 

Objectively, St Mirren are a strong contender for the top 6 - anyone claiming we should always beat possible top 6 teams away from home is setting us up to fail and probably with a thinly hidden agenda behind it.

The main thing for me is competing throughout and trying to win. If we do that and lose 1-0 then that’s just football. They will have chances as well as they are a decent team. Should be a highly competitive game - I don’t imagine even Rangers see a visit there as easy just now.

Not trying to pick an argument but the last sentence is really what we shouldn’t be thinking. It doesn’t matter what other clubs records are there or what they think about a visit to a tough venue.  

We need to be single minded. There’s been too many excuses for Hearts in these matches for too long.  I totally get it’s a tough game today, but most matches are.  I agree that the manner of performance matters. We submit too easy in these games, never match the endeavour of the other side. 

It’ll never be great losing, but I’d put money on a Hearts side that plays well in these games coming away with the points most times. Hearts rarely sneak these matches after being miles off the pace.  

3 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

A good performance and result and it would be pretty difficult to lead to negativity. Surely a voice of reason would know that!

Again, let’s not over egg the pudding, everybody wants Hearts to be playing well and winning.

39 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah

Win- the rabid gang will go missing and jkb will generally be pleasant for the next week. 

Draw- the rosters who think we should win every game will be moaning, most will see an away draw as decent and a good building block. 

Lose - Everyone will be pissed off but the rabid gang will have most players as shite and want everyone oot. Some will be happy as a fly in shite and have a great Saturday night on here ( the gang you won't here from if we win). 

It’s maybe a good time to remind you that you wanted rid of Neilson after the Brora result. 

So, you wanted Hibs to win the cup, and Neilson out, but other posters are roasters. You really are a sad little individual.

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Thought I was on the Ross County forum for a minute 😂

Scott Leitch

I thought we were pretty average against Celtic but the win was well dug out. We will find out more today if Neilson has learnt anything and going to try and win games (especially away) as opposed to trying not to lose. 

Scott Leitch
12 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It’s maybe a good time to remind you that you wanted rid of Neilson after the Brora result. 

So, you wanted Hibs to win the cup, and Neilson out, but other posters are roasters. You really are a sad little individual.

The poster wanted Hibs to win the cup? 

Need to make sure we build on last week. Massive result but we lose the importance of it if we chuck it today. 

2-0 Hearts. Boyce and Halliday.

I’d keep the same team. Hope Beni and Halliday can play 10/15 yards further up the park. A win today would in some ways be more satisfying than last week.

11 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

The poster wanted Hibs to win the cup? 

He hates Rangers more than Hibs apparently. So wanted Hibs to beat them in the final, which they did. He was very pleased.

1 hour ago, Ford Prentice said:

I'm going to pay. I like the idea of being able to watch Hearts away games live and can't be bothered with dodgy streams.

As for handing over my cash to St Liedown, to be honest I've put my naughty list away, with very few exceptions clubs panicked and acted out of short term self interest when covid struck and I haven't sufficient years left to spend time keeping score on who the good guys and bad guys are.

If all this makes me less of a PHM then so be it - I'll just watch the games.

That's fair enough. If away fans were allowed I don't think there'd be much of a boycott. Easier done with online streams though and I imagine St Mirren were eyeing up when Hearts fans bought over 8000 odd for the Inverness game.

At least St Mirren don't use the AI cameras I don't think... wouldn't be happy with £12.50 and shitty camera work.

28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

They have very little ambition for our club.

Shows why they get upset at Hearts fans who don't celebrate draws to St.Mirren.

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Better than a defeat. 

Fyi

Win - 3 points 

Draw - 1 point 

Win-good/ great

Draw-decent/ ok

Lose- bad. Lose - no points. 

I'm going to pay. I like the idea of being able to watch Hearts away games live and can't be bothered with dodgy streams.

As for handing over my cash to St Liedown, to be honest I've put my naughty list away, with very few exceptions clubs panicked and acted out of short term self interest when covid struck and I haven't sufficient years left to spend time keeping score on who the good guys and bad guys are.

👍

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I thought I was on a OF forum for a minute 

Folk slinging about predictions of 3/4-0 wins,dismissing the opposition and any context of the fixture  and generally being tampons. 

🤷‍♂️

Randy Marsh
34 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

👍 That nerd is obsessed with having a go at Hearts supporters on this forum.  

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

They have very little ambition for our club.

Shows why they get upset at Hearts fans who don't celebrate draws to St.Mirren.

Has anyone every celebrated a draw at St Mirren on here or are you making that up? 

33 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Agreed 100%-this has to be never forgotten as he dominates more or less every thread with same old same old, Neilson probably is like a cat but running out of lives, Hearts have to put in a performance today no doubt about it, I hope they do but am not sure what his tactics will be.

I think it could be a draw at worst.   Early in the season.    Mistakes can happen.    1-1.

Or we are going to take the bull by the horns, no fannying about and come away 0-2 winners.    

I backed 1-1 :curtain:

Like some have posted already, we are much stronger than since last time in the Premiership.   We should be winning.   I hope we do. 

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

I think it could be a draw at worst.   Early in the season.    Mistakes can happen.    1-1.

Or we are going to take the bull by the horns, no fannying about and come away 0-2 winners.    

I backed 1-1 :curtain:

Like some have posted already, we are much stronger than since last time in the Premiership.   We should be winning.   I hope we do. 

but so are st mirren

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

but so are st mirren

Some Folk on here dismiss the opposition all the time. 

Same folk that expect us to beat rangers/ celtic at home can't fathom out how clubs like St Mirren can beat us, especially away. 

There is a massive flaw in their logic. 

Anyway, we're not getting beat, hopefully a win but I'm sticking with 1-1.

Edited by Smith's right boot

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

but so are st mirren

Yes they have signed some good players.   OK, maybe 3-1 then ☺.    I won't go more than one goal for them.    

I'm still thinking 1-1.    

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Anyone got the all time history of St Mirren v Hearts as a fixture? Just for a wee bit of perspective….

It's been mentioned, history doesn't matter, context isn't required. 

Folk then predict 3/4-0 wins and then get into a rage when it doesn't happen. 

Surely after 20/30/40/50 years of following football the penny would drop?

13 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Agreed 100%-this has to be never forgotten as he dominates more or less every thread with same old same old, Neilson probably is like a cat but running out of lives, Hearts have to put in a performance today no doubt about it, I hope they do but am not sure what his tactics will be.

Maybe there should be a limit to the amount of posts you can post each day. It would mean he would have to be a bit more considered in his posting instead of just spamming the board. It would give him time find a life for himself. Thoughts @Smith's right boot? Fancy getting out a bit more?

Edited by Ethan Hunt

Randy Marsh
5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Maybe there should be a limit to the amount of posts you can post each day. It would mean he would have to be a bit more considered in his posting instead of just spamming the board. It would give him time find a life for himself. Thoughts @Smith's right boot? Fancy getting out a bit more?

😂

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Better than a defeat. 

Fyi

Win - 3 points 

Draw - 1 point 

Win-good/ great

Draw-decent/ ok

Lose- bad. Lose - no points. 

Anything less than 3 points v St.Mirren is disappointing and points dropped, NOTHING remotely decent about that.

22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Has anyone every celebrated a draw at St Mirren on here or are you making that up? 

You will. Surely you celebrate decent results.

You celebrated draws v the likes of Morton last season.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Anything less than 3 points v St.Mirren is disappointing and points dropped, NOTHING remotely decent about that.

A point is decent, but it can also be disappointing. 

Simply put it's better than a defeat. 

A point can also be great, 2 games stand out v lesser teams were a point would have been ****ing brilliant. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

You will. Surely you celebrate decent results.

You celebrated draws v the likes of Morton last season.

No I don't. 

No I never. 

You are making that up all to get your motor running for later on incase we don't win. 

What a tragic way to "support" your team. 

Back on topic, hopefully we win but I think it will be 1-1.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

A point is decent, but it can also be disappointing. 

Simply put it's better than a defeat. 

A point can also be great, 2 games stand out v lesser teams were a point would have been ****ing brilliant. 

Will you see a draw today v St.Mirren as decent or disappointing?

My answer would be disappointing.

Mr Elwood P
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's been mentioned, history doesn't matter, context isn't required. 

Folk then predict 3/4-0 wins and then get into a rage when it doesn't happen. 

Surely after 20/30/40/50 years of following football the penny would drop?

Can’t wait to hear ‘unacceptable’ being  banded about later …

It's definitely a different test for our defending today.    I think it will be more physical.    Set pieces could decide the result.   I don't recall Celtic having too many chances from deep crosses or corners, free kicks.   We dealt with the aerial challenges well.   

I think st mirren could be stronger in that way.   I also think we can match them.   If we're up for it we can edge them out. 

Getting excited now.    I can't wait to see the lineups for today.  

Edited by HMFC01

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No I don't. 

No I never. 

You are making that up all to get your motor running for later on incase we don't win. 

What a tragic way to "support" your team. 

Back on topic, hopefully we win but I think it will be 1-1.

Yes you do.

Wtf are you on about.

I want Hearts to win every game.

I also discuss performances of team/individuals, good or bad,  whether we win/lose/draw (like 99% of fans do after games)....something you really really struggle with ...... strange.

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

It's definitely a different test of our defending today.    I think it will be more physical.    Set pieces could decide the result.   I don't recall celtic having too many chances from deep crosses or corners, free kicks.   We dealt with the aerial challenges well.   

I think st mirren could be stronger in that way.   I also think we can match them.   If we're up for it we can edge them out. 

Getting excited now.    I Can't wait to see the lineups for today.  

Can’t see many changes today, unless he goes more like the team that finished the Celtic game rather than the one that started it. I doubt it though. I wonder if Walker will be back on the bench. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Can’t see many changes today, unless he goes more like the team that finished the Celtic game rather than the one that started it. I doubt it though. I wonder if Walker will be back on the bench. 

Walker hasn't trained unfortunately, kind of player we would need in this game for me 

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Can’t wait to hear ‘unacceptable’ being  banded about later …

Anything less than 3points and unnaceptable better (&will) be used by fans of Heart of Midlothian FC.

A very few who don't hold this club in high regard will get their knickers in a twist though trying to justify a loss/draw. (In fact I think they few want us to lose draw so they can tag team all night posters who call out anything less than 3 points as a poor result).

davemclaren
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It was a great enjoyable run but a bizarre collapse after it. Anyway, I’m looking forward now and hoping for a good result today. 

I usually go to the first away game of the season but won’t be buying ppv for this one as we have our grandson around for the afternoon and overnight.  

I’ll donate my £12.50 to FoH instead. 

Made it £13 as if you try to pay £12.50 it takes it as £1250. 🥸

St Mirren have a decent squad, Goodwin has built a good starting 11. It will be a battle and a real test of where our team is at.  Hopefully Robbie sets up to win.

Me too, just bought it, life's too short. Also I had a bad experience with a dodgy stream a few years ago so I'm not doing it again. The bottom line is I want to see the match.