***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

1 hour ago, south morocco said:

How did Beni do yesterday? Haven’t seen any reports or highlights of the game as yet?

St mirren by passed the midfield a lot of the time so he wasn’t having to tackle and win it so much, but he was tidy on the ball and played a part in both goals. He’s a good passer. Very quick minded. One of those players who knows what he is going to do with the ball before he gets it. He’s quickly worked out that Boyce is the key and can already find him with his eyes shut 

Edited by JimmyCant

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Governor Tarkin

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

Just now, JimmyCant said:

St mirren by passed the midfield a lot of the time so he wasn’t having to tackle and win it so much, but he was tidy on the ball and played a part in both goals. He’s a good passer. Very quick minded. One of those players who knows what he is going to do with the ball before he gets it.

Excellent summary. 

8 hours ago, King prawn said:

Just watched the red card back. Anyone who is arguing that isn’t a red is not a Hearts fan or looking for an argument on here because they enjoy arguments :rofl: he’s walking away off the pitch before the ref has even got a card out of his pocket gesturing to his manager that he elbowed him

Called it at the time.

He knew red was only thing coming.

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Was he getting back at Peter for something earlier on in the game or something?

Bizarre stuff. 

I'm not sure but I just have this feeling that Haring - contrary to his fairly straight laced and sensible demeanor - is actually one of the biggest shit talkers at the club with the way he's taken to the Scottish dialect like a duck to water. You just know he's in about the midfield winding folk up. 

Love it personally.

Ps. We need an emoji of this:

b25lY21zOjI0YjUyYTMzLWZiN2ItNGJmMi05ODJiLWU3MjZiZWI1ZWQyMToyZTFkOGZjNS04NTkyLTRkOGUtODcyYS02OTRkYWI1MzdlNzA=.jpg

WavyDavy just mentioned it on another thread.  Would like to see Ginnelly have a go at players far more often. 

He’s got everything going for him. Pace, good acceleration, strength and, although not lately, has shown before he can finish. 

I’m not saying he’s not contributing but the higher percentage lies with being too much on the fringes just now as opposed to being in the thick of it. I’m sure it will come and I hope it does.  Really like this guy and I hope he doesn’t fall into the frustrating bracket.  

You want more of what we saw when he ran at Celtic in the build up to the opener. 

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

WavyDavy just mentioned it on another thread.  Would like to see Ginnelly have a go at players far more often. 

He’s got everything going for him. Pace, good acceleration, strength and, although not lately, has shown before he can finish. 

I’m not saying he’s not contributing but the higher percentage lies with being too much on the fringes just now as opposed to being in the thick of it. I’m sure it will come and I hope it does.  Really like this guy and I hope he doesn’t fall into the frustrating bracket.  

You want more of what we saw when he ran at Celtic in the build up to the opener. 

Yeah wasn't his best yesterday but.. St Midden sat in almost scared of us until we scored, this meant he didn't really have the chance to counter attack which is where he shines. We looked a bit suprised at the amount of ball we were getting, and just kept passing around and then got the goal. Naturally we then sat back, there was numerous times GMS and Josh broke forward but only had Boyce to pick out in the box and pinpoint passes were tried and failed and amounted to a frustrating afternoon for our wide players.  Still it wasn't a great performance but I did feel for him.

On 07/08/2021 at 23:00, Jim Panzee said:

Oooft - good question. Am off to check in David Attenborough

You had to mention David bloody Attenborough!  Got me thinking of that famous sketch on Not the Nine O'Clock News (apologies for our younger viewers)

PhoenixHearts
54 minutes ago, RULEOF3 said:

this. If we had an attacking MF he would have had a field day. 1 less winger and two up top would've been better for me

I can see several scenarios where me might opt to play without both GMS and Ginnelly. Like you say, 2 up top with an attacking mid in behind. We can keep the back 3 defensive set up the same that's worked for us so far.

Something along the lines of this:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith Baningime Haring Cochrane

McEneff 

Boyce Gnanduillet 

Would maybe give us more control in the middle and provides a more direct link between the back to the front. Been thinking it since yesterday as I thought McEneff and Gnando looked quite good.

On 07/08/2021 at 16:59, MattyK82 said:

First in the league since 2010! Lovely 🇱🇻

Absolutely lovely feeling bud. It’s been a long time coming. Hopefully the feel good factor has returned and stays for a while. Had a nice weekend due to this victory. I hate when we lose and it spoils my weekend. Keep it going Robbie and the boys! 🇱🇻🇱🇻

john thomas
7 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I can see several scenarios where me might opt to play without both GMS and Ginnelly. Like you say, 2 up top with an attacking mid in behind. We can keep the back 3 defensive set up the same that's worked for us so far.

Something along the lines of this:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith Baningime Haring Cochrane

McEneff 

Boyce Gnanduillet 

Would maybe give us more control in the middle and provides a more direct link between the back to the front. Been thinking it since yesterday as I thought McEneff and Gnando looked quite good.

Only saw highlights of SM game but think McEneff deserves more game time .

Came on as sub in previous game and brought real energy to midfield

The Old Tolbooth

I actually felt we played okay on Saturday, we were by far the better team in the first half, and St Mirren were always going to have a chunk of the game at some point as I think people forget that they were a top 6 side last season (I think), and are vastly improved on what they used to be like. I felt we were better against St Mirren than Celtic, and until St Mirren scored, I didn't feel we were under any pressure at all even though they had most of the ball in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I actually felt we played okay on Saturday, we were by far the better team in the first half, and St Mirren were always going to have a chunk of the game at some point as I think people forget that they were a top 6 side last season (I think), and are vastly improved on what they used to be like. I felt we were better against St Mirren than Celtic, and until St Mirren scored, I didn't feel we were under any pressure at all even though they had most of the ball in the second half. 

Not sure where they finished last year but I agree with your post. A really enjoyable performance. Showed guts, determination and stamina and were the best football playing side by a mile.

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Not sure where they finished last year but I agree with your post. A really enjoyable performance. Showed guts, determination and stamina and were the best football playing side by a mile.

Just checked and they ended up 7th, they lost out on top 6 in the final game before the split (chortle!), they did finish on the same points as both teams in 5th and 6th though, which shows me where we should be aiming. 

9 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Agree. Very encouraged by the way we grasped the game right away. 

Any time StMirren got the ball it was forced.  We made them play long and we mopped up. 

Franksluckypants
On 08/08/2021 at 09:44, DG_HMFC said:

I heard he didn't even shower.

So have Celtic* signed the big fella yet?

On 08/08/2021 at 17:03, ToqueJambo said:

It's pretty common, in fact desirable, to have a more FB-like CB in a back 3. Tierney for Scotland for example. Kingsley and Cochrane have both looked solid in there. We've restricted two half decent teams to very few clear chances so far and weren't troubled in the LC. The defence is looking much better since Souttar came back nd the change to a back 3.

As for Gnando, he's won us the game basically after coming in in both games. He's had a big impact off the bench.

Tierney played there because of Andy Robertson.

For Hearts...Kingsley looked slightly better in there the week before than Cochrane did. He got caught out a few times where Halkett had to cover. I always feel that you are far better with an out-and-out defender in there. Not a fan of square pegs in round holes. Fine in an emergency, a sending off, a suspension, an injury etc. if you've no choice but not every week. This tactic tends to go back to Levein's days and if a player has a bad game or two, it can affect confidence and morale. 

Gnando did ok when he came on, and that's fine but will he make any sort of impact if he plays from the start? Neilson's tried this with Walker and seems to prefer him on the bench. We need to find a striker from somewhere. Gnando will get a few goals but the type of player he is i wouldn't expect any more than seven or eight throughout the season. Anymore than that will be a bonus. 

Ya!  Boo!  Sucks!!!

PS Adding a word or two doesn't stop it being plagiarist!

Edited by colinmaroon