***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

In many ways this is a bigger game than last weekends game. We will see if this team can compete away from home in the top league or will it be the same old away day guff. Hoping for 3 pts and keep the momentum going

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Governor Tarkin

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

Robbo-Jambo
12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

St Mirren are a bit like Dundee in that they always seem to raise their game when they play us and for far too long we have allowed them to get on top.

I am hoping that we have the right attitude to give them a real game and win this.

As Robbie said it's great beating Celtic but we need to follow that up with a win against St Mirren,

They are never easy to beat and always a threat they have some decent players.

Brophy and Main up front will be a handfull for our CB's and I fancy that Main will go up against Halkett as he will fancy his chances of winning most of the aerial battles.

It will be tight I am sure and we will soon find out if what Boyce was saying in his recent interview comes true.

We need to let them worry about us.

A positive start by getting on the front foot is essential.

Far too often away from home we start the game far too tentatively and suffer by going behind.

As far as I am concerned we take the lead tomorrow we win the game.

think it's key that we score an early goal by whatever means as this'll force st mirren to play more open and thus give us space to exploit.

I feel our recent-ish successes against sevco, hibs and celtic (to a lesser extent) have been as a result of the opposition setting up to win.

it's these stubborn 11 men behind the ball, 'don't lose first and foremost' teams we need to try and overcome. 

Will be interesting to see how Bob approaches this, hopefully with a different mindset away from home we can get a win.

Like us raising our game when we come up against Celtic/Rangers/Hibs St Mirren do so against us. We need the players to rise to the occasion and get the job done. Sign of a good team is consistently putting in good performance or grinding out difficult results. All about getting points on the board. 

KyleLafferty

I can’t work out why for well over a decade we can’t win away from home. Different players, different managers and it still doesn’t happen. Really hope this team can change that.

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

I can’t work out why for well over a decade we can’t win away from home. Different players, different managers and it still doesn’t happen. Really hope this team can change that.

Id be interested to know the away records of all the teams over the last 10 years (ours at St Mirren is particularly dreadful)

Harry Potter
23 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Carrying on where we left off with away game difficulty priced in, I'm going for 2-1 to us. Boyce to get off the mark in the league.

1-0 Hearts.

20 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Nice to see a few have $hat the bed already and have began their incessant ramblings about Nielson. 

Anything less than a convincing victory and that bombscare of a thread about Robbie’s failing will be full of the usual nonsense.

I think we’ll take something from the game. Even a point will keep things ticking along to the sheep game.

No pressure on the LC tie. We can go into that quite confident IMO.

We need to be out of the blocks from the start. Let them worry about us, not the other way round. Attack from the off. In 1997/98 season, Jim had us attacking from the start, and beating, sometimes hammering, teams like this mob. It's been a long time since we have performed regularly well away from home. It's time...

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

We need to be out of the blocks from the start. Let them worry about us, not the other way round. Attack from the off. In 1997/98 season, Jim had us attacking from the start, and beating, sometimes hammering, teams like this mob. It's been a long time since we have performed regularly well away from home. It's time...

Spot on, even on his last spell he had us attacking teams away from home from the start. It’s not rocket science, go and show you’re a better team and win. It’s an attitude thing, probably about the only good thing about the uglies is how they approach league games. 
I think the performance is more important tomorrow, if we have a good go and are unlucky then that shows more to me than sitting back and getting a lucky win etc. 

Absolute Scenes
29 minutes ago, Boab said:

Anything less than a convincing victory and that bombscare of a thread about Robbie’s failing will be full of the usual nonsense.

I think we’ll take something from the game. Even a point will keep things ticking along to the sheep game.

No pressure on the LC tie. We can go into that quite confident IMO.

how exhausting must it be to want to be angry all the time at the tiniest little things. "we won the game but the passing accuracy was way off, must improve." "good goal but very lucky". If they ram us 99% to 1% possession and we sneak a 1-0 i wont care a jot. 

Edited by Absolute Scenes

55 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Sorry I should’ve been clearer, I meant the other teams in the league - I know our record is pants :lol: But what are Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Johnstone etc like away from home 

Feck me, we have a solid back line with one of the best CB’s and easily the best GK. Middle of the park has been light but we have added Beni in there and Haring on his game can be immense. Soapy and Beni can both pass a ball (forward) with ease. Front line for me is the weakest but that still has GMS, Ginnelly and Boyce - who can all provide the goods on their day. In short we should be smashing this game and leaving them for dead. I’m going 3-0 but I really want more.

11 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Neilson seems to think we need to put in the same level of performance as we did against Celtic. Newsflash! We were shite against Celtic. Neilson really is a clown.

What a pile of shite

20 hours ago, Zaba said:

Was he not in charge of Utd when St Mirren won the play-off final against them to stay up? 

He was. He celebrated it going to penalties. I'm not even joking. 

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

What a pile of shite

Really? I wouldn’t confuse a lucky win (and we were lucky) with a good performance.  If we play the same way against St Mirren we’ll need luck again.

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Really? I wouldn’t confuse a lucky win (and we were lucky) with a good performance.  If we play the same way against St Mirren we’ll need luck again.

I refer you to my previous post

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

We’ll find out on Saturday.

Yes, and we'll hear from you next Friday with your latest Robbie out posts. 

Cut The Crap

No real idea how this will go. Apparently St Mirren are a better side than they usually are, and they usually beat us down there, so not too confident. 0-0 might be decent. 

Absolute Scenes
11 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

unreal man, unreal. You sat and watched our team beat Celtic. We scored two goals they scored 1. Our Keeper made two outstanding saves, not luck, but very good signing to prevent goals being scored. We were not lucky. We rightfully won that game. Possession doe snot win you football, goals do and we won it fair and square. Its so worrying that your hatred for Neilson has managed to cloud over an incredible win and start to the season. 

Still irks me that they beat us at Hampden in the Diddy final. We were still the SC holders & the s#@* was hitting the fan financially with the club,it would have been nice to have both trophies even for a short time.

23 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

We’ll find out on Saturday.

Is there any point in waiting ?

We could scrape a 1-0 victory and you would find fault in it while the rest of us would celebrate another victory.

Less than 2 pages and it's already started to go off track - folk need to grow up!

Hearts win, any win will do. Performance doesn't matter as much just now, we are adding new faces and we just need a run of wins. Points on the board is all that matters.

It's a winnable game but it'll be tough. St Mirren play 3-5-2 on the counter and are tough to break down but I think we've got more quality than them and enough to cause them problems. A point would be OK and if that happens I hope no one shits the bed over it. 

8 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Do we have any tickets for this ? 

No, they’re only getting the same as their previous game as far as I can gather. Just over a thousand. 

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Weebroon98 said:

In many ways this is a bigger game than last weekends game. We will see if this team can compete away from home in the top league or will it be the same old away day guff. Hoping for 3 pts and keep the momentum going

This week is another brilliant opportunity for Bob to set out a positive team selection and tactics to go and win the game against St Mirren.

The usual defensive set up to achieve a 0-0 and back to Gorgie is not what we want our team to be about. Have a go. Go out to win the game. 

A win and its 6 out of 6 and probably about 4 points ahead of where we realistically thought we'd be after two games.

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, cheetah said:

Will be interesting to see how Bob approaches this, hopefully with a different mindset away from home we can get a win.

Changing the dont lose 1st mindset might be a tough ask. That said we'll see tomorrow how it pans out.

Bazzas right boot

1-1.

Game could go either way tho, I expect a tight game. 

Defending set pieces and getting the second balls will be crucial. 

Either that or 6-3 Hearts. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Over the years we have become accustomed to winning against one of the ugly sisters and then alas come crashing down to earth again in the next match because the players didn't apply themselves with the same energy or believed just turning up would be enough. Something tells me this group of players won't let that happen but full time on Saturday will show us where we are at and if we are strong enough to go and get away results against committed opponents.

I will go for a hard fought 2-0 victory for us.

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

Still irks me that they beat us at Hampden in the Diddy final. We were still the SC holders & the s#@* was hitting the fan financially with the club,it would have been nice to have both trophies even for a short time.

Yip, shite result. 

12 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Neilson seems to think we need to put in the same level of performance as we did against Celtic. Newsflash! We were shite against Celtic. Neilson really is a clown.

hmmm a mediocre attempt but you're some way behind Sensei @i8hibsh....you have much to learn grasshopper....

26 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Over the years we have become accustomed to winning against one of the ugly sisters and then alas come crashing down to earth again in the next match because the players didn't apply themselves with the same energy or believed just turning up would be enough. Something tells me this group of players won't let that happen but full time on Saturday will show us where we are at and if we are strong enough to go and get away results against committed opponents.

I will go for a hard fought 2-0 victory for us.

Sums it up nicely. It's application as well as tactics that have cost us at these grounds. I hope the management team have looked at how both can be improved.

Rudi cant fail

We need to be going to places like this and picking up 3 points. Hibs managed 11 wins away from home in the league last season, Aberdeen regularly win away from home too. 
That’s what we’re up against, we hear on this forum constantly that we have a better squad than hibs etc so we need to be proving it.
Tomorrow’s a good chance to lay down a marker and we should be going there full of confidence after beating Celtic last week. 

Berra than you
Just now, Muppetboy said:

Fearing an away performance that blighted so much of last season, really hope not

*So much of last 10 or so seasons. Seriously though, we do need to start winning these games if we are serious about being at the top end of this division.