John Souttar......is he bound to sign a new deal out of loyalty or will it be bye bye next season ?

CJGJ

It is completely mad that Souttar isn’t even 25 yet. He’s been with us (and in the first team) for over 5.5 years, and he had 63 appearances for United prior to that.

His ankles do seem to be a major weak point though. He missed 3 months with an ankle injury before he even came to Hearts, and he’s now had three torn Achilles’ tendons with us.

Perth to Paisley

Will go to the MLS with his best pal Ryan Gauld if he is snubbed for the national team like Ryan.

Look for his inclusion in next squad 

JamboAndrew
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Jackie McNamara apparently. 
It seems we’ve offered him a new deal but he might just extend for a year and see if there’s any bids next summer, if we are to believe what’s being said on the transfer thread. 

Interesting. I'm as far from itk as could be. Is Jackie McNamara decent? Well, as decent as an agent can be.

I just hope he can play 20-25 games at the minimum this season he is obviously a class player but still has to prove his fitness before being offered an extension imo.

Souttar for the international team is an even easier pick now that he is fit again and Hearts aligning to Clarke's 3 at the back solution.

Souttar, Huddy, Tierney allowing McTominay to be considered as nothing else but a midfielder for Scotland.

It's hindsight now, but with UEFA allowing squads to have an extra 3 players, Souttar should have been taken along at expense of probably Taylor who had little chance of getting game time.

Edited by DETTY29

A_A wehatethehibs

I live in hope but I expect his agent to stall talks and try to force us to sell in January. The agent will be trying to get him to Celtic. Best case, 1 year extension I reckon 

2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I have a rather different view to most on here.

Ever since administration there seems to have been the view that Hearts should project themselves as a club where players can develop and improve, with a view to eventually moving on to a "bigger" club.  The attitude is that any good players are bound to move on to better things eventually.

Well, look how that's worked out for us on the pitch.  Heart of Midlothian Football Club should themselves be seen as a big club, and I am fed up of the idea that we should roll over and get our tummies tickled by clubs from Glasgow or England for our best players.  I would like to see us try to actually keep decent players, build teams around them and win trophies.

We keep hearing about the commercial opportunities that the ground developments will give us, and the potential advantages that FOH donations could bring.  But what's it all for if we still can't compete as a football club?  We need to be using these opportunities to at least try to attract, develop and keep good players, otherwise it's all pointless.

In the case of Souttar, I absolutely believe that the aim should be to tie him down to a long career at Hearts.  His injury record might work in our favour in this respect, as it might put other clubs off.

Many may say that my view is unrealistic.  But since when has supporting a football club been about realism?  It's about dreaming big and wanting the very best for the club, and a big part of this is keeping our best players.

While I absolutely agree with the spirit of your post, money talks, unfortunately.  When talking about moving onto 'bigger things', we're really talking about salaries rather than the actual clubs.  So mediocre teams in England that can quadruple an SPFL salary would, in that sense, be 'bigger things'.

15 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I get that. But in that case, what's the point supporting a club like Hearts?  Why not just give up and pack it all in?

I'm not a money man, I'm a football fan.

Why someone supports a particular club is completely different to why a player plays for a particular club.  And the irony here is that the first group pay to do it and the second group are paid to do it.

Not many players with Souttars injury record would risk running their contract down.   He seems like a really level headed guy and irrespective of loyalty (and I do think he feels loyal to the club), if we offer him a decent 3 year contract early enough surely he’d grab the security.    As we know contracts don’t stop top players moving on and increasing their salary.  Should be a win win,  if he stays injury free.   He’s pure quality. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I have a rather different view to most on here.

Ever since administration there seems to have been the view that Hearts should project themselves as a club where players can develop and improve, with a view to eventually moving on to a "bigger" club.  The attitude is that any good players are bound to move on to better things eventually.

Well, look how that's worked out for us on the pitch.  Heart of Midlothian Football Club should themselves be seen as a big club, and I am fed up of the idea that we should roll over and get our tummies tickled by clubs from Glasgow or England for our best players.  I would like to see us try to actually keep decent players, build teams around them and win trophies.

We keep hearing about the commercial opportunities that the ground developments will give us, and the potential advantages that FOH donations could bring.  But what's it all for if we still can't compete as a football club?  We need to be using these opportunities to at least try to attract, develop and keep good players, otherwise it's all pointless.

In the case of Souttar, I absolutely believe that the aim should be to tie him down to a long career at Hearts.  His injury record might work in our favour in this respect, as it might put other clubs off.

Many may say that my view is unrealistic.  But since when has supporting a football club been about realism?  It's about dreaming big and wanting the very best for the club, and a big part of this is keeping our best players.

Absolutely spot on

I feel the same way and we are probably naive but it seems like we still give off an air of desparation to sell off our assets when the amount of money flooding into the club should allow us to build something decent instead.

Offer Souttar a decent deal, enough to make him think twice about a move to a Championship team down south. Every contract is a gamble - any player can get injured the next day or, alternatively, a player we didn;t care too much for suddenly grows into a real asset we haven't tied down - but we need to invest in our best players.

If some club wants to offer silly money for him then yes, of course we should listen, but that money should go straight into the pocket of Joe Savage to spend.

Bit of a ramble but the bottom line is that i despise anyone seeing a player, and sometimes a player we have yet to sign, in terms of "sell on value".

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Haken said:

While I absolutely agree with the spirit of your post, money talks, unfortunately.  When talking about moving onto 'bigger things', we're really talking about salaries rather than the actual clubs.  So mediocre teams in England that can quadruple an SPFL salary would, in that sense, be 'bigger things'.

So let's offer him the money. Make it decent and worth his while staying.

Offer him a guaranteed £250k + per annum for the next 3 years and see where it takes us.

Prior to his first Achilles injury, he was almost off to Derby County for £2M. If he can prove his fitness then he won’t be here much longer. It’s wether his head can be turned by his agent to hold out till the January window that worries me. There’s no denying that any player would want to play at the top level and soapy is capable of that. I’d just like him to be here another year after he’s been missing for almost two years out. 

I’m not sure if he owes us anything but it would be nice if he would show some loyalty to us with an extension to his current deal. I’d be gutted if he moved just as he was coming on to some form and we’ve missed the best of him. Hopefully we can insert some type of sell on clause when he does move. 

Soapy will be aware more than most of how precarious earning a living as a footballer is, whether that makes him more inclined to sign an extension, or move on to maximise his income time will tell, but he doesn't 'owe' us anything.

Edited by Beni

18 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Do you know him personally?

If you do fair play however I would be surprised any player would talk to anyone outside family and closest friends about any such contract negotiations.

If the information you say is correct you must surely know exactly when this was confirmed, where the negotiations took place and who was there.

Why must he?

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

So let's offer him the money. Make it decent and worth his while staying.

Offer him a guaranteed £250k + per annum for the next 3 years and see where it takes us.

That's ever the quandary, isn't it?  A player is well within his rights to think that if the club values him as a, say, £2m player, his salary should reflect that valuation.

I'd be more than happy for the club to offer him the sort of terms you suggest.