Humza Yousef oh dear oh dear

Ainsley Harriott

Ainsley Harriott

Could this little l creitin get anymore embarrassing? Guy has just accused the owners of a private nursery of being racist not realising they are of Asian heritage.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Governor Tarkin

• sadj

• Savage Vince

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Could this little l creitin get anymore embarrassing? Guy has just accused the owners of a private nursery of being racist not realising they are of Asian heritage.

Are Asians not able to be racist?

All depends who they are being accused of being racist towards.

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Are Asians not able to be racist?

All depends who they are being accused of being racist towards.

Clearly not racism I would imagine they are keen to distance themselves understandably from a family involved in a bigoted nationalist party. 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Clearly not racism I would imagine they are keen to distance themselves understandably from a family involved in a bigoted nationalist party. 

Your post loses any credibility without showing any proof that the accused are not racist and that a political party are bigoted.

Deliberately caught them out. Though all may not be as it seems. Is this the correct behaviour for a senior politician. He must know everything isn't all as it seems. 

20210802_113237.jpg

Maybe the Nursery smelt a rat when they looked at the names of the fictitious applications. Who knows but the truth will out. 

This could be an interesting one. Perhaps the owners are discriminating because they want a balance of races rather than all Asian? Certainly could be an important consideration for a nursery as the kids would  be more likely to speak English. BBC national News jumped on this and failed to mention that the owners are asian...

Sounds like a shot in the foot for racial equality activists though.

23 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

This could be an interesting one. Perhaps the owners are discriminating because they want a balance of races rather than all Asian? Certainly could be an important consideration for a nursery as the kids would  be more likely to speak English. BBC national News jumped on this and failed to mention that the owners are asian...

I don't think the ethnicity of the owners are necessarily relevant since the evidence appears to be that some applications to join the nursery were more successful than others*

Purely tongue in cheek but is the spokesman's comment not just a variation of "i'm not a racist but..."

*where others happened to be ethnic sounding names.

Just because the nursery owners are of Asian descent, doesn't mean they can't be discriminating against other Asian nationalities. 

Indians and Pakistanis aren't renowned for getting along swimmingly, for example. Strangely enough, going by names of the people involved, it looks at first glance that the nursery owners are of Indian origin, and Yousef is of Pakistani origin. If the applications rejected were Pakistani sounding names, while British sounding names were accepted, it merits investigation. 

His wife applied using a fictitious white Scottish-sounding name, and a second fictitious child from a relative called Sara Ahmed.

The white-sounding applicant was offered several days a week for their child, a registration form and a tour of the nursery; the application from the Muslim-sounding relative was rejected.

After being contacted by Yousaf, a reporter for the Record newspaper repeated the exercise, Yousaf said.

“She created two profiles with kids same age, their requirements the same.

‘Aqsa Akhtar’ application was rejected while ‘Susan Blake’ was offered a choice of 4 afternoons,” he said on Twitter.

The Record reported that the nursery offered the fictitious white family an application form, availability on numerous days and a tour of the nursery.

It turned down a request for places from the fictitious Muslim-sounding family.

The couple said they had asked Little Scholars for an explanation for the contrasting treatment of different applicants, but had not been given one.

:interehjrling:

Edited by Cade

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

South-east and East Asians are the most racist people I've worked with/for and societies I've lived in/worked in.

Exactly. The idea that the nursery owner being of Asian descent means they can't be discriminating against another Asian is mental. Asia is ****ing huge! It's like claiming Europeans can't discriminate against other Europeans. 

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

His wife applied using a fictitious white Scottish-sounding name, and a second fictitious child from a relative called Sara Ahmed.

The white-sounding applicant was offered several days a week for their child, a registration form and a tour of the nursery; the application from the Muslim-sounding relative was rejected.

After being contacted by Yousaf, a reporter for the Record newspaper repeated the exercise, Yousaf said.

‘Aqsa Akhtar’ application was rejected while ‘Susan Blake’ was offered a choice of 4 afternoons,” he said on Twitter.

The Record reported that the nursery offered the fictitious white family an application form, availability on numerous days and a tour of the nursery.

The couple said they had asked Little Scholars for an explanation for the contrasting treatment of different applicants, but had not been given one.

I'll be honest, the nursery are going to have a tough time trying to explain this. 

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Asians can't be racist???? Obviously never been to India/Pakistan 

Just because the owners are Asian doesn't mean the person rejecting the applications was.

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I found the overt racism in Pakistan refreshing.

Huge class divides, too.

3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

This makes no sense at all. Racists come from all races.

Racism is a strange thing. Here whites are the bad guys a a rule acting on Asians. Many years ago when Living in Richmond B.C. I frequented a local pub, my wife described it differently suggesting I lived in it. One of our group was a Chinese real estate agent, a good guy.  There was quite an influx of Chinese into Richmond in the eighties, early nineties days. Our Chinese friend told us the Chinese wanted Richmond as their place. It reminded them of an area of China where the ground was very flat, and it was on the ocean, Richmond is such a place large berry farms, easy to work because of the flatness. Our son lives there still, but now street signs, business names, and lots of other things are strictly Chinese, just like our friend forecast, it is opined by some at times that reverse discrimination is a factor.

Edited by Sharpie

Nucky Thompson
35 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Regardless - he's a deeply unlikeable and arrogant cretin

He fits right in to the SNP then

Ainsley Harriott
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Deliberately caught them out. Though all may not be as it seems. Is this the correct behaviour for a senior politician. He must know everything isn't all as it seems. 

20210802_113237.jpg

I suspect they knocked him back due to his political position which I can understand. Why would they want a hate filled nationalist at the gates every morning. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

I've been in Karachi in a crowd of about 400 watching Pakistan play India at cricket. Just like watching Scotland v England at the football but more so!

3 hours ago, Norm said:

I'll be honest, the nursery are going to have a tough time trying to explain this. 

As a private business are they not entitled to pick and choose whichever clients they want? Genuine question, not clued up on what is legally classed as racism or otherwise.

3 hours ago, Mysterion said:

I don't think the ethnicity of the owners are necessarily relevant since the evidence appears to be that some applications to join the nursery were more successful than others*

Purely tongue in cheek but is the spokesman's comment not just a variation of "i'm not a racist but..."

*where others happened to be ethnic sounding names.

I wasn't questioning that there appears to have been discrimination. I was merely postulating on what might be the purpose behind it, and that this might cause a problem for the people who push for stronger and stronger discrimination laws... After all they say they cater for Muslim diets so we have to assume there are Muslim kids there already. So I assumed they are seeking to maintain balance with their discrimination - which could be problematic for the law.

Edited by Spellczech

31 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

As a private business are they not entitled to pick and choose whichever clients they want? Genuine question, not clued up on what is legally classed as racism or otherwise.

You're entitled to refuse service for any reason you like, as long as its not based on discrimination due to some protected reasons, such as age, disability, race, religion, sex, gender or sexual orientation.

The fact that they've said "Yeah, places ahoy! Tons of spots!" to John Smith Jnr, yet "Nah, fully booked." to Iqbal Al-Gebra Jnr leaves them open to the accusation. There could be another reason they've refused a place to the Al-Gebras, that isn't protected, and they'd be fine. The issue is they could have a hard time convincing a jury that that is the case. 

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I suspect they knocked him back due to his political position which I can understand. Why would they want a hate filled nationalist at the gates every morning. 

So you've been shown to be talking crap about racism so you resort back to talking crap about Scottish nationalists

Ainsley Harriott
8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

So you've been shown to be talking crap about racism so you resort back to talking crap about Scottish nationalists

When was I talking crap about racism?

3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

When was I talking crap about racism?

When you implied that Asians couldn't be racist 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Hi Humsa, it's Nicola here, look, we need a story to get this drugs death nonsence off the front pages, can you rustle something up?

Exactly .  Quelle surprise 

5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Yes it appears to be back firing yet again for this clown of a man 

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Are the SNP not still harping on about two Sikhs being deported during a Muslim celebration? I'll take what any of those weirdos says about race and ethnicity with a destructively large helping of sodium, thank you.

Yes another incident where he made a James hunt of himself 

4 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

Regardless - he's a deeply unlikeable and arrogant cretin

He’s awful . 

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He fits right in to the SNP then

😂😂😂

5 hours ago, Cade said:

If all this is factually correct then I feel he has a valid point in asking for an explanation. If the nursery can't give a reasonable one then it doesn't paint them in a great light IMO. I can't help feeling though that he should be applying the same dilligence and attention to detail in the 'discrepencies' of his political colleagues and indeed, his own political party that he represents 🤔

2 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Are nursery and pre-school places subsidised by the government in Scotland?  They are in Ireland, and it means that providers have limits on when and how they can refuse an application.

HartleyLegend3
5 hours ago, Cade said:

Ah well, when the full story is known.

The Yoons quickly walk away..  

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Ah well, when the full story is known.

The Yoons quickly walk away..  

What's the full story then? I can only see one side 

It's totally correct that this is a priority over drug deaths, the Scottish Government failing to meet its climate change targets and failures over Covid track and trace. 

Getting a nursery or school place is a real thing that affects many people. Particularly primary school places. Maybe this will be the start of making changes so parents can always chose the school they want. 

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I wasn't questioning that there appears to have been discrimination. I was merely postulating on what might be the purpose behind it, and that this might cause a problem for the people who push for stronger and stronger discrimination laws... After all they say they cater for Muslim diets so we have to assume there are Muslim kids there already. So I assumed they are seeking to maintain balance with their discrimination - which could be problematic for the law.

From my experience in hunting for nursery places for my kids i find it surprising that the request was knocked back. Many nurseries have waiting lists, many are happy to take on kids and drive revenue/profit upwards. It just seems to fly in the face of how businesses (which cynically nurseries are primarily and care settings second) operate. 

Savage Vince
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Are nursery and pre-school places subsidised by the government in Scotland?  They are in Ireland, and it means that providers have limits on when and how they can refuse an application.

All pre-school aged children from aged 3 are entitled to 1140 hours a year, subsidised by the Scottish Government. Some 2 year old are getting this too. 

All services are registered with the Care Inspectorate who will be all over this like flies like jam and I'd imagine the owners of this service will have some explaining to do, regardless of their ethnicity. 

Savage Vince
8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Perhaps the owners are discriminating because they want a balance of races rather than all Asian? Certainly could be an important consideration for a nursery as the kids would  be more likely to speak English.

Utter nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Utter nonsense. 

I never pretended it was anything other than supposition - but how is it nonsense?  perhaps you need to look up the dictionary definition...?

Edited by Spellczech

Savage Vince
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I never pretended it was anything other than supposition - but how is it nonsense? 

It'll be quickly considered nonsense by the investigating body if it's given as the reason and their registration will likely be under serious threat. 

24 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

It'll be quickly considered nonsense by the investigating body if it's given as the reason and their registration will likely be under serious threat. 

I have no idea about the racial make-up of Broughty Ferry. I suspect it is not like Inner City Bradford but I don't know. But then I wasn't even suggesting that what I wrote was truth...And I wasn't considering the response of the Care Commission because it wasn't what I was writing about...I made it pretty clear that I was viewing the whole thing from a totally different and suppositional viewpoint.

Savage Vince
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I have no idea about the racial make-up of Broughty Ferry. I suspect it is not like Inner City Bradford but I don't know. But then I wasn't even suggesting that what I wrote was truth...And I wasn't considering the response of the Care Commission because it wasn't what I was writing about...I made it pretty clear that I was viewing the whole thing from a totally different and suppositional viewpoint.

And I made it pretty clear you were posting utter nonsense which, to be fair, you've since confirmed yourself. 

That 'inner city Bradford' line too. 😁

Edited by Savage Vince

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Remember the case of the bakers who wouldn't bake a gay celebration cake? I'm 99% certain that they tried to make that case that they should be able to choose which customers they do and don't serve but they were done for discrimination.

Likely to be the same story here.

the Hearts way
10 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Hi Humsa, it's Nicola here, look, we need a story to get this drugs death nonsence off the front pages, can you rustle something up?

That nursery (Morningside) growing that teribble herbal product. 

1 minute ago, Savage Vince said:

And I made it pretty clear you were posting utter nonsense which, to be fair, you've since confirmed yourself. 

That 'inner city Bradford' line too. 😁

You don't understand what supposition is, do you? 

Savage Vince
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

You don't understand what supposition is, do you? 

Is it something along the lines of believing things that you have no ****ing scooby about either way? 

Just now, Savage Vince said:

Is it something along the lines of believing things that you have no ****ing scooby about either way? 

No, not at all...sorry.

the Hearts way

Kid's with Epilepsy,  only to mention one ailment.  A country,  that's went from rule, Brittannia,  to probably the most backwards country,  when it comes to the best healing herb/plant. 

Guess what though...?

They want to legalise and tax it.