Well done, Robbie Neilson - we're back!

tartofmidlothian

5 hours ago, RussAsia said:

However losing to St Mirren would be a shocking result for us. If we don't attack them and play to our obvious strengths then it'll be a long, poor season. Get after teams.

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's used terms such as shocking and unacceptable to describe a possible loss to St Mirren. Each to their own.

I'll spell it out to you.

To paraphrase, if we don't turn up then yes it would be shocking to lose to St Mirren, given our result against Celtic yesterday.

Have a wee bit of humility, it goes back to what I said earlier...bitching does nothing but cement division. Try and be objective (everybody!) but at the same time we must retain our critical faculties, call it as we see it, but ultimately our end goal is the same.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Savage Vince

• RussAsia

• Ulysses

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Boris said:

To paraphrase, if we don't turn up then yes it would be shocking to lose to St Mirren, given our result against Celtic yesterday.

Have a wee bit of humility, it goes back to what I said earlier...bitching does nothing but cement division. Try and be objective (everybody!) but at the same time we must retain our critical faculties, call it as we see it, but ultimately our end goal is the same.

Can you be any more passive aggressive or condescending? 

Your point also makes no sense. 

The Celtic result is unrelated to the St Mirren game, so I'm not seeing  where "shocking" part comes into it. 

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Can you be any more passive aggressive or condescending? 

Oh, probably! 😋

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The Celtic result is unrelated to the St Mirren game, so I'm not seeing  where "shocking" part comes into it. 

To quote Yoda, "That is why you fail"

17 minutes ago, Boris said:

There seems to be a belief amongst some fans that you can't discuss any aspect of Hearts in anything less than glowing terms and still be a supporter.

It's a strange take in general, but even more bizarre on a forum set up to discuss the club.

I can't remember many seasons when everyone sat round singing Kumbaya, but there's a growing trend nowadays to try to shut down any dissenting voices.

They'd be better ignoring opinions they disagree with rather than getting triggered and trying to act like Pravda.

19 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

So by that statement, one can never bring up previous performance to support an argument.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but haven't you previously used RNs former record as manager of Hearts as a reason to support his current tenure?

All I was saying that we've had a great result, but unless we consolidate that with a result (or tbf at least a performance, I think people can accept defeat/draw if the performance is worthy) then it means f all and undermines any acceptance/renewed faith/hope in RN/management of the footballing side of the club gained from beating Celtic. As the OP stated, "if..." but you just see that as having a pop and can't step back and see the landscape. It's not black or white.

Everyone wants us to succeed, of that I have no doubt, and if RN can do that so much the better, given he is currently in place. Last night's result has boosted that faith, let's not blow that in Paisley 

1 minute ago, Beni said:

There seems to be a belief amongst some fans that you can't discuss any aspect of Hearts in anything less than glowing terms and still be a supporter.

It's a strange take in general, but even more bizarre on a forum set up to discuss the club.

I can't remember many seasons when everyone sat round singing Kumbaya, but there's a growing trend nowadays to try to shut down any dissenting voices.

They'd be better ignoring opinions they disagree with rather than getting triggered and trying to act like Pravda.

I quite liked Pravda, back in the day...😉

But yes, criticism is required and agree with your post completely. 👍

7 minutes ago, Boris said:

I quite liked Pravda, back in the day...😉

Da comrade.

I favour the Daily Mail for balanced news coverage*, but it's all about opinions. 👍 

Edited by Beni
* I don't

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

If you are judging players on one game then fair enough. I've not seen Beni enough to make a proper call yet.

We'll just disagree, I thought Celtic were good and held the ball well, they forced us back.

We also never helped with poor passing and poor ball retention imo.

This " they were there for the taken" talk is just cliched bull shit, it means nothing. Thankfully Bob had a game plan and it worked as planned.

Defending is part of football, most managers and football folk know this.  

Whatever Hearts seem to do or not to do some folk just invent narratives that suit their agenda or beliefs, it's quite mind boggling.

Would you say, now be honest with this answer, when we beat Celtic 4-0 under Levein would you say Celtic had as strong a team last night? 

I would argue the one Levein beat was far stronger, and going into it Celtic were unbeaten. 

We got Celtic at a great time they aren't the animal they once were, they were certainly there to be attacked. 

A wounded animal that's what they were, individual players that on there day are quality players, but they aren't motivated anymore they have lost motivation. 

Mcgregor is a shadow of the player he can be, he wants down the road with his pal brendan playing in the prem. 

Christie wants in the prem his head is gone, French Eddie head is gone. 

Then you look at the midfield Turnbull, an another player that is attracting premier league interest. 

Does he really want to be there? 

Defence the least said the better. 

Goalkeeper they handed us Scotland's best goalkeeper in my eyes, for 5mil Barkas and Scott Bain 😂😂

Whoever made that decision should be sacked. 

I Know defending is a part of the game but let's not kid ourselves that, this isn't the Celtic of old they are vulnerable. 

How many clear cut chances did they create?

I'm not making anything up to suit an agenda I've given Robbie full. Credit and he deserves that, what I'm saying is my opinion that we could of made the game far easier and i believe we could of scored more against them, maybe I'm just being greedy maybe you are right. 

I just feel if Celtic had the chance to put 4/5 past us they wouldn't think twice. 

And that's the mindset i want our managers to have when we play them at home, don't get me wrong a wins a win, but they do seem to struggle big time when playing at Tynecastle both of them hate it.

Edited by Bongo 1874

2 minutes ago, Beni said:

Da comrade.

I favour the Daily Mail for balanced news coverage*, but it's all about opinions. 👍 

After all the stick Robbie has taken (a lot of it justified after Brora) to see his face and fist pump to the main stand at full time heading back up the tunnel was joyful to see. Actually got a bit emotional at the game on Saturday, the atmosphere was cracking and the hairs on the back of the neck stood up a good few times. Probably a combination of the win and not being at a game in so long. Had my 5 year old son at only his 3rd game and he loved it, first time he has seen us win a game and he can't wait to go back. 

21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm not.

I cannot follow his logic, it makes no sense.

He's used terms such as shocking and unacceptable to describe a possible loss to St Mirren. Each to their own.

You think that it's acceptable to lose to St Mirren. Do you think they'll finish top 6 or bottom 6. I think definitely bottom 6. I expect Hearts to finish top 6. That means that assuming we turn up with decent tactics I expect to beat them. No St Mirren players I would put in a mixed first XI. They've bought a few from Kilmarnock who got relegated last season.

There is a huge lowering of the bar by posters like you and I think it's to do with the rubbish that's been offered up basically since Budge bought the club. With the way money is at all Scottish Premier League clubs there is a top 5 and then the rest. Last season St Johnstone were the best of the rest. However if the top 5 biggest earners spend their money wisely they should always finish in the top 5 or possibly 6 if on of the poorer seven has a really stand out season.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

You think that it's acceptable to lose to St Mirren. Do you think they'll finish top 6 or bottom 6. I think definitely bottom 6. I expect Hearts to finish top 6. That means that assuming we turn up with decent tactics I expect to beat them. No St Mirren players I would put in a mixed first XI. They've bought a few from Kilmarnock who got relegated last season.

There is a huge lowering of the bar by posters like you and I think it's to do with the rubbish that's been offered up basically since Budge bought the club. With the way money is at all Scottish Premier League clubs there is a top 5 and then the rest. Last season St Johnstone were the best of the rest. However if the top 5 biggest earners spend their money wisely they should always finish in the top 5 or possibly 6 if on of the poorer seven has a really stand out season.

You've confused 2 matters.

Individual games v consistency over a season. 

I wholey expect us to be at least top 6 and imo we should be top 4. 

Doesn't mean we'll not lose games to lesser teams with smaller budgets tho. 

Just like celtic did on Saturday. 

If we win all these games and beat the OF  at home we could very well be champions, not done that for almost 60 years, A big ask and imo unrealistic as an expectation. 

If we get around 65 points we'll have done well, that means we'll not win about 18-20 games  with those being draws and losses. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You've confused 2 matters.

Individual games v consistency over a season. 

I wholey expect us to be at least top 6 and imo we should be top 4. 

Doesn't mean we'll not lose games to lesser teams with smaller budgets tho. 

Just like celtic did on Saturday. 

If we win all these games and beat the OF  at home we could very well be champions, not done that for almost 60 years, A big ask and imo unrealistic as an expectation. 

If we get around 65 points we'll have done well, that means we'll not win about 18-20 games  with those being draws and losses. 

So you also expect us to play on the front foot against St Mirren since they are lesser with a smaller budget.

If we do and we lose through bad luck or if their goalkeeper has a great game then I can understand. 

However we should be playing attacking and also control possession of the ball. I wonder what Neilson has in mind.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

So you also expect us to play on the front foot against St Mirren since they are lesser with a smaller budget.

If we do and we lose through bad luck or if their goalkeeper has a great game then I can understand. 

However we should be playing attacking and also control possession of the ball. I wonder what Neilson has in mind.

Probably same as Goodwin- win the game. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Probably same as Goodwin- win the game. 

I've never seen that from Neilson in many away games but I hope you're right and he goes out to attack and win the game.

2 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

I've never seen that from Neilson in many away games but I hope you're right and he goes out to attack and win the game.

I think this weekend will be more telling regarding how our season will pan out. Let’s hope we have a go from the start 👍

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

So you think Robbie goes out and doesn't want to win games? 

26 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

I'd suggest that's betraying a bit of ignorance about St Mirren's team and squad.  They had a decent season last year, have strengthened and have a number of good players.

Do I still think we should beat them,yes - but it's not an easy game at all.

10 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

I'd suggest that's betraying a bit of ignorance about St Mirren's team and squad.  They had a decent season last year, have strengthened and have a number of good players.

Do I still think we should beat them,yes - but it's not an easy game at all.

The easy game chat is just the ammo getting loaded so they can vent if we lose the game. Our record there is terrible. There will be few easy games this season but I hope we go there with the correct attitude and willingness to build on the Celtic result. If we do I think we will win but I don’t expect it will be easy. 

I ain't no RN fan and made it clear he should have been shown the door after Brora however, on Saturday he changed things when we were getting pushed back and not getting enough of the ball. Now credit were credit is due his changes steadied the ship and we got more into the game. Having said all this I am more than happy to give him credit on a job well done. So onwards to next week Hearts away from home, what could possibly go wrong .......HHGH!!

Brick Tamland
On 01/08/2021 at 23:25, Bongo 1874 said:

Would you say, now be honest with this answer, when we beat Celtic 4-0 under Levein would you say Celtic had as strong a team last night? 

I would argue the one Levein beat was far stronger, and going into it Celtic were unbeaten. 

We got Celtic at a great time they aren't the animal they once were, they were certainly there to be attacked. 

A wounded animal that's what they were, individual players that on there day are quality players, but they aren't motivated anymore they have lost motivation. 

Mcgregor is a shadow of the player he can be, he wants down the road with his pal brendan playing in the prem. 

Christie wants in the prem his head is gone, French Eddie head is gone. 

Then you look at the midfield Turnbull, an another player that is attracting premier league interest. 

Does he really want to be there? 

Defence the least said the better. 

Goalkeeper they handed us Scotland's best goalkeeper in my eyes, for 5mil Barkas and Scott Bain 😂😂

Whoever made that decision should be sacked. 

I Know defending is a part of the game but let's not kid ourselves that, this isn't the Celtic of old they are vulnerable. 

How many clear cut chances did they create?

I'm not making anything up to suit an agenda I've given Robbie full. Credit and he deserves that, what I'm saying is my opinion that we could of made the game far easier and i believe we could of scored more against them, maybe I'm just being greedy maybe you are right. 

I just feel if Celtic had the chance to put 4/5 past us they wouldn't think twice. 

And that's the mindset i want our managers to have when we play them at home, don't get me wrong a wins a win, but they do seem to struggle big time when playing at Tynecastle both of them hate it.

I agree that the team we beat 4-0 were far stronger and I also agree that they aren’t in a good place just now. I posted about that on another thread supporting Robbies statement about the league cup draw, Celtic are very vulnerable just now and if they take nothing from the next couple of games I will revel in the carnage 😎

On reflection and having watched the game again we learned absolutely nothing on Saturday that we didn’t already know bar Beni could be a brilliant signing. 

We already knew Gordon and Souttar are class. 

I don’t think we learned anything about the formation at the weekend and need a lot more evidence in different types of games. For 65 mins of the game it was a 5-5-0 anyway and not a 3-4-3. 

It was encouraging at the first goal how many players were in the box, including Cochrane and it is vital in most games that the full backs get up the park. 

it was not encouraging to see a back 5 and Boyce ten yards outside our penalty are for the next 60 mins. 

Despite Beni being brilliant I do still worry about the central midfield. I worry firstly that when we have a lot of the ball we still don’t have the creative player in there and the player who can chip in with some goals. I also worry on Saturday that with St Mirren almost certainly flooding the midfield with 5 players whether our two will be overrun and we just won’t command the ball. 

I wonder if away from home Neilson will indeed try to make us a counter attack team using the pace of GMS and Gino, while keeping it otherwise very tight. 

So fascinated to see how we go about employing this formation in different games and just how fluid it will be during games. 

2 hours ago, hearts00 said:

On reflection and having watched the game again we learned absolutely nothing on Saturday that we didn’t already know bar Beni could be a brilliant signing. 

We already knew Gordon and Souttar are class. 

I don’t think we learned anything about the formation at the weekend and need a lot more evidence in different types of games. For 65 mins of the game it was a 5-5-0 anyway and not a 3-4-3. 

It was encouraging at the first goal how many players were in the box, including Cochrane and it is vital in most games that the full backs get up the park. 

it was not encouraging to see a back 5 and Boyce ten yards outside our penalty are for the next 60 mins. 

Despite Beni being brilliant I do still worry about the central midfield. I worry firstly that when we have a lot of the ball we still don’t have the creative player in there and the player who can chip in with some goals. I also worry on Saturday that with St Mirren almost certainly flooding the midfield with 5 players whether our two will be overrun and we just won’t command the ball. 

I wonder if away from home Neilson will indeed try to make us a counter attack team using the pace of GMS and Gino, while keeping it otherwise very tight. 

So fascinated to see how we go about employing this formation in different games and just how fluid it will be during games. 

There are seldom going to be times v Celtic where this does not happen.  They (traditionally) have a much stronger team than us so the only way we are likely to beat them is by tactical astuteness or if they lose players during the game through injury or ordering off.   We did beat them and if Neilson gets panned for our defeats etc then we should applaud him for this result.  The St Midden game will be a better guage of where we're at.  We seem to do better against teams who open out than against those who sit in and SM will probably employ more of a defensive approach than Celtic.  Let's see what the verdict is at 5.50ish on Saturday.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

There are seldom going to be times v Celtic where this does not happen.  They (traditionally) have a much stronger team than us so the only way we are likely to beat them is by tactical astuteness or if they lose players during the game through injury or ordering off.   We did beat them and if Neilson gets panned for our defeats etc then we should applaud him for this result.  The St Midden game will be a better guage of where we're at.  We seem to do better against teams who open out than against those who sit in and SM will probably employ more of a defensive approach than Celtic.  Let's see what the verdict is at 5.50ish on Saturday.

Good post 👍