Well done, Robbie Neilson - we're back!

tartofmidlothian

Ok I was thinking of posting this elsewhere but- changing the narrative 

In our last games against top flight opposition 

We have beaten Celtic and taken them to penalties in a cup final

We have beaten Hibs at Hampden

We have beaten TheRangers 

We have also lost to St Midden but it is heartening to know we CAN get up for the big games 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Savage Vince

• RussAsia

• Ulysses

During game wanted us to attack more but do understand the apprehension. Edouard and Turnbull are no dummies and can’t give them too much space

Haring on for GMS brilliant sub and tactical tweak. Well done Robbie

Waited until they tired near the end and ramped up the pressure on them after barely touching the ball since out goal.

Good subs and managed the game perfectly. Happy to give credit where it's due tonight.

Savage Vince
Just now, Morgan said:

I find no good reason to argue with you this evening, Vince.

I bid you goodnight.

Goodnight pal, it's been a great evening and it will be a very sweet morning. Onwards and upwards. 

Thomson1874

Great win, made the right subs at the right time, delighted to get the three points. 5 wins out of 5 so far this season, hopefully we can keep it going.

Possibly an even bigger test for us next week. Our away form has been terrible over the last few seasons but if we can turn that around in paisley next week I'll be delighted!

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Tactical genius at the end. Phoodle out brigade will forget about that

Bit luck, but even I knew Celtic would tire, no way they can keep that pace up for 90 minutes.

Celtic do have some very good players but they didn't trouble us an awful lot. Plenty of pretty touches and movement in the space between halfway and our box but only once (some might argue twice, to which I'd respond GIRUY) did they actually make it pay. A couple of top saves from wir Craig and Bob's yer uncle. Or your manager.
If he can see us to another 37 of those in the league we'll be having a pretty good season... :whistling:

Game plan worked to perfection tonight.  I think it was clear that Celtic was there for the taking tonight and we gave them way more respect. The amount of possession we gave them allowed them to get comfortable but when you take 3pts against old firm its hard to argue.

The proper test is next week, will we go to Paisley in confident manner?

29 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

The booing from the Hearts support in thd second half was utterly ridiculous. 

Celtic have some really good football players. The sense of entitlement amongst the Hearts support is chronic. 

Did you hear Robbie’s comment after the game “we probably would not have pushed on for the winner if there had been no fans”

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Thomaso said:

Did you hear Robbie’s comment after the game “we probably would not have pushed on for the winner if there had been no fans”

I'm not sure he was referring to the booing mate. Fans in games backing the team and egging them on obviously makes a difference. We said it all last season.

JamboGraham
Just now, Thomaso said:

I think we can safely file that one under 'utter nonsense' along with all the other bizarre stuff he comes out with in post match interviews.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm not sure he was referring to the booing mate. Fans in games backing the team and egging them on obviously makes a difference. We said it all last season.

I think fans showing their displeasure at us sitting back can also have the effect of “right I’ll feckin show you!”

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

I think fans showing their displeasure at us sitting back can also have the effect of “right I’ll feckin show you!”

Neilson himself was urging them out. Celtic pinned us back though. It's a major weakness of the 3-4-3 in that we don't have very attacking WBs who can cause Celtic problems defensively. Neilson changed things and it worked. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pleased for Neilson.

Pleased for Hearts.

Posted the other day that tonight's game was a fantastic chance for him to eat into the doubt there is amongst fans. 

He took it.

Good set up and approach and made changes that got us back into the game and, ultimately, the win.

Early days, and there's bound to be bumps on the road, but it's a great start and I'm chuffed to bits for us all.

1 minute ago, JamboGraham said:

I think we can safely file that one under 'utter nonsense' along with all the other bizarre stuff he comes out with in post match interviews.

Yep, fans make zero difference either way eh. We should just play behind closed doors every week. Bizzare stuff indeed

If we hadnt changed the way we played after we scored and kept pressing their defence i think we couldve scored a few tbh,think fans in stadium had seen that too hence the booing when we probably shouldnt have been at 1-1 with how terrible there defence was,we just stopped testing it until the end again and they buckled another mistake for souttars goal as they just stood there.Even though they had possesion theyre leaky mistake ridden defence destroyed there all round confidence to play,they were pretty abysmal for any celtic team ive ever watched and will struggle to finish 2nd this season.Sounds to me everything thats going on with them i dont think they have alot of money either.Happy To win but i think they were there for a few goals if we kept tempo up we started with and kept pressing..

Jambos_1874

Just back from the game and still buzzing! Delighted for Robbie; he gets a lot of unfair abuse and a large minority of our support will never get behind him no matter what he does. He picked the right team, made the right substitutions and set the team up well. Credit where credit is due.

Savage Vince
8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I'd like to think that they kicked on for the winner to spite 'the fans.' 😉😊

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The players are better than some give them credit for.

100%. And possibly managed better than some give credit for. The pre-season pant wetting about our squad and manager based on one weird season playing in a division we shouldn't even have been in in front of empty stadiums against teams packing defence has been well over the top.

Just now, Savage Vince said:

Just enjoy the fantastic night mate for everyone and maybe stop yer trolling shite. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

they are no where near as bad as many think

Their defence is. Can you imagine the seeth on here if our defence had allowed a free header like Soapy's.

bobby bombscare

Now I know things haven’t been great since Robbie took over. But it’s worth noting that since he has, we have drawn against Celtic in the final (beaten on pens) beat hibs in the semi and beat Celtic in the league opener. 

So, if Neilson has shown us anything, it’s that he isn’t going to bottle it for big games and that we CAN compete at this level unlike the narrative some fans would have you believe. 

Not a massive Robbie fan or hater. But credit where it is due, he’s getting results where they are needed. Long may it continue! Genuinely excited for next week after that performance. 

i don’t want to get too optimistic, but I feel like the players are fit and backing the manager, the transfers we are getting in are of the right quality and the club as a whole is hopefully moving in the right direction 😁

Ifwe are still getting good results by September, European football could well be on the cards!.. but that’s me getting over optimistic again! 

Savage Vince
9 minutes ago, Guffers said:

Just enjoy the fantastic night mate for everyone and maybe stop yer trolling shite. 

I'm not trolling anyone. If you think it's OK to boo a Hearts side that's level against a Celtic side with better players then **** off and bore someone else. 

I'm really pleased with Hearts tonight. 

We were hemmed in at times, and sitting a little too deep for my liking, but they are still really dangerous up front, so this isn’t entirely unexpected. I think the defence dealt with everything in the most part, well 

Not a fan of Robbie but he made the substitutions at the right time, and they were absolutely the right calls - this is a great start to the season. Well done RN and the team. 👏👏👏👏👏 

Souttar and Beni - take a bow lads. You were head and shoulders above everyone else on that park. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

, they are no where near as bad as many think.

They are, Hearts fans know it, Celtic fans know it and we showed it tonight without being anywhere near close to our best.

That is as poor a Celtic team you will see for a long time.

Biscuit tin will be opened, they will improve, but we got them at the right time and made it count. They were poor.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Their defence is. Can you imagine the seeth on here if our defence had allowed a free header like Soapy's.

It is, but if they score first and get a hold of games then it will be different.

They'll still be second.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Gambo said:

They are, Hearts fans know it, Celtic fans know it and we showed it tonight without being anywhere near close to our best.

Biscuit tin will be opened, they will improve, but we got them at the right time and made it count. They were poor.

They'll be second.

Anyone that thinks otherwise can pm and I'll take the bet.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

They'll be second.

Anyone that thinks otherwise can pm and I'll take the bet.

They may end up 2nd, does not make them a great team tonight or even a team with pace tonight.

SectionDJambo

We all knew we couldn’t allow Celtic so much room for the rest of the game. Robbie Neilson got his changes absolutely bang on. As soon as Haring came on for GMS we were back in the game. For all his mistakes in the past he deserves credit for the changes he made to give us the opportunity to win.

Craig Gordon? Out of this world!

The 5200 fans? What a noise.

i wish jj was my dad

I've pretty much stayed off the board for the last couple of years because of the negativity. It feels like folk want us to fail or at least get something out of it but I sat behind Robbie and watched him pushing the players up. I thought he got the subs wrong then when I sussed what the plan was I knew he wasn't sitting back and it worked.

FFS get behind the team. We have a world class goalie again so anything can happen. 

16 minutes ago, daavojaay said:

If we hadnt changed the way we played after we scored and kept pressing their defence i think we couldve scored a few tbh,think fans in stadium had seen that too hence the booing when we probably shouldnt have been at 1-1 with how terrible there defence was,we just stopped testing it until the end again and they buckled another mistake for souttars goal as they just stood there.Even though they had possesion theyre leaky mistake ridden defence destroyed there all round confidence to play,they were pretty abysmal for any celtic team ive ever watched and will struggle to finish 2nd this season.Sounds to me everything thats going on with them i dont think they have alot of money either.Happy To win but i think they were there for a few goals if we kept tempo up we started with and kept pressing..

If we had opened up as you suggest we would have lost heavily imo. 

Their new signing who started cost them 4 million and the Japanese substitute cost them over 4 million as well and they had other expensive signings as well. 

Nowhere near skint. 

Hearts done well to frustrate them and you will find most teams except The Rangers will approach Celtic in much the same way. 

They have too many good players to open up against. 

FERRY HEARTS

Robbie was screaming at lads to get out close the skanks down but it always can’t be done if your under cosh ! Well done to every player and Robbie for a dogged performance! HHGH

5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Their new signing who started cost them 4 million and the Japanese substitute cost them over 4 million as well and they had other expensive signings as well. 

Nowhere near skint. 

Hearts done well to frustrate them and you will find most teams except The Rangers will approach Celtic in much the same way. 

At tynecastle you have to open up against them. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It is, but if they score first and get a hold of games then it will be different.

They'll still be second.

Second to us you mean ? 😉You're probably right, but while they're still fragile teams will take advantage. 

32 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson himself was urging them out. Celtic pinned us back though. It's a major weakness of the 3-4-3 in that we don't have very attacking WBs who can cause Celtic problems defensively. Neilson changed things and it worked. 

There is no doubt that when he finally changed things it did work.

31 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

That was the point I made, it might have created a “right I’ll feckin show you!” attitude.

1 minute ago, Savage Vince said:

I'm a season ticket holder too. Platinum seats 'n that. 😎

Fair do's Vince ! Apologies, too many beers on my part.. we're all Hearts ! 

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

There is no doubt that when he finally changed things it did work.

He got it right tonight. And we deserved it. Can you just be happy?

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

He got it right tonight. And we deserved it. Can you just be happy?

I’m not happy - I’m feckin delighted!

13 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Nowhere near skint. 

just meant we shouldve pressed there defense not went gung ho,defence was there to be had...And Was Eventually but easier it couldve been done

Mr Elwood P
23 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The biscuit tin was opened to spend £4.3m on Arsefelt. It’s currently being soldered shut back at Sharkhead…

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, R1874 said:

During game wanted us to attack more but do understand the apprehension. Edouard and Turnbull are no dummies and can’t give them too much space

Haring on for GMS brilliant sub and tactical tweak. Well done Robbie

The extra man in midfield maybe could have come earlier but thats the only criticism of Robbie you'll hear from me, and I cant stick him.

Think we could have pushed for a 2nd right away but to be fair celtic dominated the ball so much that a 2nd at that point was never likely.

Players gelling and working for each other.

Soapy is massive for us, without doubt. We have a few key players, soapy, boyce,  Gordon  that we cant do without which is a worry.

Onwards and upwards.

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

The extra man in midfield maybe could have come earlier but thats the only criticism of Robbie you'll hear from me, and I cant stick him.

Think we could have pushed for a 2nd right away but to be fair celtic dominated the ball so much that a 2nd at that point was never likely.

Players gelling and working for each other.

Soapy is massive for us, without doubt. We have a few key players, soapy, boyce,  Gordon  that we cant do without which is a worry.

Onwards and upwards.

yep a spine of gordon, souttar, maybe haring if he keeps up that performance and boyce is a strong foundation for a good side