Halliday

NB GIN

17 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

He will be once we're finished in the transfer market. Useful though. 

No chance about 1st name on team sheet at moment.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Forever Hearts

• Gordon Ramsay

• DS98

Jambo Moose
15 hours ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

Excellent game by Halliday.  Get off the lads back ffs

But if he didn’t do a podcast he’d have scored 4 yesterday! And st Mirran are rubbish so it’s the minimum he could do…😴😴
truly bizarre some folk can’t wait to trash him constantly. He gives his all, which is more than can be said for others at times,  what more do we want?? 

Gordon Ramsay
34 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

No chance about 1st name on team sheet at moment.

That sentence doesn't make any sense. 

He's had a good start to the season but I will be very surprised if he's not a bench warmer once we are finished our transfer business. 

8 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

He's had a good start to the season but I will be very surprised if he's not a bench warmer once we are finished our transfer business. 

He is one of those players that is valuable to have around the squad. He may not be the most talented or quickest but he gives 100% and can play in a number of positions and is not fightened to put his body on the line.

A_A wehatethehibs
32 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

He is an important senior player who has significantly more experience of this league than any other midfielder at the club or coming to the club. He will be starting I would guess 70-80% of games this season with other options rotated in. He will finish the season on more minutes than any other midfielder. The burden will be placed on him to help these various new guys bed in to the team and thee league, as well as helping the kids, you’ll note it was Halliday who was assigned alongside Finlay pollock in the LC groups. 

Bizarre and delusional to set a negative expectation that he will be dropping out the team. He will only drop out the team of his form dips significantly. 

Gordon Ramsay
33 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He is an important senior player who has significantly more experience of this league than any other midfielder at the club or coming to the club. He will be starting I would guess 70-80% of games this season with other options rotated in. He will finish the season on more minutes than any other midfielder. The burden will be placed on him to help these various new guys bed in to the team and thee league, as well as helping the kids, you’ll note it was Halliday who was assigned alongside Finlay pollock in the LC groups. 

Bizarre and delusional to set a negative expectation that he will be dropping out the team. He will only drop out the team of his form dips significantly. 

We'll see. 

I was very vocal in my opinion against him last season. He was a ghost in the majority of games. Credit to him for the way he’s started this season. If he keeps it up he will have his part to play. 

Still dont think he’s anywhere near good enough to start in our midfield if we have any aspirations of doing something this year. ‘Putting a shift in’ shouldn’t be an attribute but a minimum requirement. 

6 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Your a daftie simple as 

Gordon Ramsay
20 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Your a daftie simple as 

Coming from the poster with the grammar of an 8 year old. 

Gordon Ramsay
26 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I was very vocal in my opinion against him last season. He was a ghost in the majority of games. Credit to him for the way he’s started this season. If he keeps it up he will have his part to play. 

Still dont think he’s anywhere near good enough to start in our midfield if we have any aspirations of doing something this year. ‘Putting a shift in’ shouldn’t be an attribute but a minimum requirement. 

He's started well, as you say though, putting in a shift probably won't cut it this season. He will end up on the bench but he's certainly a useful option to have. 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He’s only played 68 games in the top league, about double Harings total. 
It depends on how Devlin fits in but we  will have 5 midfielders all looking to play in the two spots in this formation, they will all need to perform to stay in the team. Which is good obviously. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Agreed. 

Diadora Van Basten

I like him as a left back but not keen on him as a central midfielder.

I actually think he’s a better left back than Kingsley especially defensively.

BRAVEHEART1874

He has had some good games left wing back etc. Better option than when we maybe only used aidy whyte ;)

He is a hearts player now and like lafferty, don't care if he still has sevco dreams as long as he plays well for us. If his next game is centre mid and he is below average and gets subbed by robbie , then I am sure it is nothing to do with a 1690 tattoo or whatever as insinuated on here ;)

21 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Does his job well and he's seriously one of the best finishers at the club.

Decent player to have in the squad. 

He’s one of those players who doesn’t necessarily excite and folk who don’t have enough real knowledge of the game and analysis skills equate that to not actually doing much. He’s probably the best multi position player we’ve had at the club since Calum Paterson. Not even probably, he just is.

Harry Potter
On 07/08/2021 at 19:43, brawlad74 said:

Having a very good start to the season..keep it up son..

this and a superb goal.

I'd rather have Halliday in a Hearts shirt than in one of our rivals. He's a player who never hides and always gives 100%. 

He gets a tough time because of his allegiance to Rangers, which is ridiculous because he's never let it affect his commitment to Hearts.

Brilliant goal.  An average player wouldn't have scored that.  Wouldn't even have attempted it.

Nookie Bear

Maybe, just maybe, he is not as bad as some make out 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps time to look past his affiliation with another club and assess him on what he does best: working hard, never hiding and chipping in with a couple of excellent goals.

upgotheheads
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

He’s one of those players who doesn’t necessarily excite and folk who don’t have enough real knowledge of the game and analysis skills equate that to not actually doing much. He’s probably the best multi position player we’ve had at the club since Calum Paterson. Not even probably, he just is.

34 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Maybe, just maybe, he is not as bad as some make out 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps time to look past his affiliation with another club and assess him on what he does best: working hard, never hiding and chipping in with a couple of excellent goals.

Correct, he's not what you'd call silky, but his work rate and positional sense is top class and his ability on the ball is better that folk give him credit for. His reaction the Boyce's pass was lightning quick, and he's only 29 so should have a couple of years at his best.

2 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

I'd rather have Halliday in a Hearts shirt than in one of our rivals. He's a player who never hides and always gives 100%. 

He gets a tough time because of his allegiance to Rangers, which is ridiculous because he's never let it affect his commitment to Hearts.

He hasn't played against his beloved Rangers yet. Lets see how he performs in that match.

20 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

As you yourself have said “we’ll see”

I just get the feeling he’s one of those players managers love to have in a team. Nielsen ha also selected Halliday a lot so fo far so would suggest he wants him in the team.

reminds me when Keegan was asked who his most vital player was when they had Ginola / Asprilla / Beardsley / Gillespie - his answer was Rob Lee.

17 minutes ago, scottg71 said:

He hasn't played against his beloved Rangers yet. Lets see how he performs in that match.

^^ This.

Halliday was a 2 or 3 good games a season player at Rangers. Dined off his fanboy status - was ready to be shown the door by Gerrard 3 seasons back but his attitude and effort was rewarded and he was kept on. 

Last season i thought he was bang average.

This season we've seen him "up for beating Celtic" - which is expected, he's scored on Sat and played well. It's consistency that I'm waiting to see - at that point i'll admit i was wrong about him. 

If he scores against Rangers it would be tremendous. :lol:

Nookie Bear
52 minutes ago, scottg71 said:

He will be up for it, without a doubt.

1 hour ago, scottg71 said:

:facepalm: 

Clark Griswold

Those comparing him last season to the start he's had this season is neither here nor there IMO. Remember, last season when we signed him he hadn't trained for 6 months and took him a while to get up to speed which is only natural.

I like Andy, think he's better than some make out. As long as he stays fit and keeps performing like he is, I've no issues with him keeping his place in the team.

And Boyce grew up supporting Celtic. Didn’t see him lie down last week.

Halliday might not be the most gifted of players but he is obviously getting a bit fitter, and he is improving game by game 

The guy hasn’t even played his “beloved” Rangers yet. At least have the good grace to wait for the game to come before laying into him 

Not having a go at you personally but if u were going to go through every professional football player in the game, you would be surprised how many have supported other teams 

I personally think he will be right up for the Rangers game. Remember they released him. he will have a point to prove and no better game to do it. Plus he is a Hearts player and professional, so I wouldn’t worry about it to much. I don’t think he is the type to lie down - to anyone. He might not have the best of games - who knows but I’ll bet he puts in the effort when it comes 

2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

And Boyce grew up supporting Celtic. Didn’t see him lie down last week.

Halliday might not be the most gifted of players but he is obviously getting a bit fitter, and he is improving game by game 

The guy hasn’t even played his “beloved” Rangers yet. At least have the good grace to wait for the game to come before laying into him 

Not having a go at you personally but if u were going to go through every professional football player in the game, you would be surprised how many have supported other teams 

I personally think he will be right up for the Rangers game. Remember they released him. he will have a point to prove and no better game to do it. Plus he is a Hearts player and professional, so I wouldn’t worry about it to much. I don’t think he is the type to lie down - to anyone. He might not have the best of games - who knows but I’ll bet he puts in the effort when it comes 

Personally I don't think he's very good. Squad player at best.

Regarding Boyce I don't think he's on a podcast every week bumping his gums about Celtic so not really a comparison.

1 minute ago, scottg71 said:

Personally I don't think he's very good. Squad player at best.

Regarding Boyce I don't think he's on a podcast every week bumping his gums about Celtic so not really a comparison.

Your previous post was suggesting he wouldn’t try a leg against Rangers. That’s different to having an opinion on his ability 

I didn’t particularly like the love in on open goal but just because he was bumming them up (which he was) I have no doubt that this doesn’t mean he won’t give 100% when he pulls on the maroon jersey 

If he gives the effort every time he can bum up who he wants as far as I’m concerned. He had a winners mentality - aggressive, in your face type player - every dressing room needs them and we are no different 👍

A_A wehatethehibs

I expect him to be more up for that game than any other. You think he’s going to be happy to embarrass himself and get hammered to give Rangers a shot at the title?

He is a player first and foremost, fan second. Folk seem to bypass that about him when greeting and bleating about his podcast. Tell me, have you ever seen Halliday look fat / out of condition since he joined here? Have you ever seen him struggle to get through 90 minutes? He is a professional and has been a 90 minute engine on the park since he has been here. Made tackles, blocks, stuff that fans don’t notice at times. Even on games where technically he was not the best in possesion, his graft set the tone away at Ayr, away at Arbroath etc to get those points in the bag. He was important without hitting the heights. If we’d had him instead of Glen Whelan or Damour the previous season, do you think we’d have got relegated? Would we ****. He was replaced by the likes of Ryan Jack, Glen Kamara, Steven Davis and  others at Rangers. He will see that fixture as his opportunity to bite back at that and show what he is about as a player. That matters more to any player than which other club that he doesn’t play for, wins the league. Yes he prefers Rangers over Celtic. That has been his life as a Glaswegian man. He was on FaceTime with a few of his pals there after the title win. But did he get a medal? No. He was released. Do you think he’s happy about that? 

If you knew anyone that was actually a player, you’d understand it. Your short playing career is everything. If he can bag a goal and get man of the match against Rangers, it would mean 10x more to him than beating Celtic. 

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I expect him to be more up for that game than any other. You think he’s going to be happy to embarrass himself and get hammered to give Rangers a shot at the title?

He is a player first and foremost, fan second. Folk seem to bypass that about him when greeting and bleating about his podcast. Tell me, have you ever seen Halliday look fat / out of condition since he joined here? Have you ever seen him struggle to get through 90 minutes? He is a professional and has been a 90 minute engine on the park since he has been here. Made tackles, blocks, stuff that fans don’t notice at times. Even on games where technically he was not the best in possesion, his graft set the tone away at Ayr, away at Arbroath etc to get those points in the bag. He was important without hitting the heights. If we’d had him instead of Glen Whelan or Damour the previous season, do you think we’d have got relegated? Would we ****. He was replaced by the likes of Ryan Jack, Glen Kamara, Steven Davis and  others at Rangers. He will see that fixture as his opportunity to bite back at that and show what he is about as a player. That matters more to any player than which other club that he doesn’t play for, wins the league. Yes he prefers Rangers over Celtic. That has been his life as a Glaswegian man. He was on FaceTime with a few of his pals there after the title win. But did he get a medal? No. He was released. Do you think he’s happy about that? 

If you knew anyone that was actually a player, you’d understand it. Your short playing career is everything. If he can bag a goal and get man of the match against Rangers, it would mean 10x more to him than beating Celtic. 

Summarised perfectly 

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Halliday gets asked questions about rangers. Do you want him not to answer?

😀

Surely not a serious comment. He's a Hearts player and some Hearts fans don't like his hobby as a Rangers uber fan. It's not as if folk have randomly picked him to ask questions about Rnagers is it.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Summarised perfectly 

To be honest with you my 1 worry for him in that game is that he’ll be too up for it and might get into bother or get a red card, in which case he would obviously get it tight from both sets of fans. He will probably be straight into a challenge 2-3 minutes in to prove he’s not some sap who’s there to lie down. So hopefully he keeps the heid and focused on the game plan 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

To be honest with you my 1 worry for him in that game is that he’ll be too up for it and might get into bother or get a red card, in which case he would obviously get it tight from both sets of fans. He will probably be straight into a challenge 2-3 minutes in to prove he’s not some sap who’s there to lie down. So hopefully he keeps the heid and focused on the game plan 

I share the concern that the problem could be over exuberance than anything else. No question in my mind that he will be well up for it - needs to keep composed as if he gets sent off within 10 mins I would hang a bet that some folk would say he meant it 🤷‍♂️

john thomas
19 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Mostly agree but not unheard of for a player to give less than 100% against his favourite team .

Frank McGarvey admitted it

2 hours ago, scottg71 said:

Are you questioning his professionalism? 

2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Mostly agree but not unheard of for a player to give less than 100% against his favourite team .

Frank McGarvey is a corrupt cheating w….. 

Nice of him to admit it 

Think Halliday is a different type of character 

Nookie Bear
12 minutes ago, john thomas said:

It’s more likely Halliday will get himself sent off for lunging in. 

bajthejambo

I've never had an issue with Halliday. A committed performer who can offer something in the final third. No world beater by any stretch, but he's more of an asset than many give him credit for.

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Underrated player imo. 

Absolutely 

Got a feeling he will also be a huge asset behind the scenes in the dressing room in addition to what he does on the park. 

50 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Just about 40 years ago.

Is that the best you can do.🤣

john thomas
33 minutes ago, benny said:

Just about 40 years ago.

Is that the best you can do.🤣

Doubt if many (or any with half a brain) would admit it , especially nowadays with social media Uber scrutiny . So yes that is the best I can do .

From your post I assume you don't think it happens

Is he a key player we couldn’t do without. NO

Could we get a player in who does what he does and a little bit more ?YES probably but at a cost.

Is he Pish ? NO most definitely not

Would I let him take a penalty or trust him with a one on one in a cup final against Rangers ? NO in all honesty I wouldn’t.

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Could we get a player in who does what he does and a little bit more ?YES probably but at a cost.

Would I let him take a penalty or trust him with a one on one in a cup final against Rangers ? NO in all honesty I wouldn’t.

Why not? 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Your last statement is ridiculous. 😄

9 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Why not? 

Because he’s a true blue died in the wool Rangers fan born on the 12th and I wouldn’t want to have to test where his overriding loyalty lay.