Dave MacKay

Beave1874

I know the quote on the second strip.......

His first line when getting approached by Spurs.... I didnae want to go. Apologies if this has been posted before, found it profoundly lovely 

When you get these pub discussions about who was our greatest ever player, you have to be very persuasive to go past Dave Mackay.  And he loved the club with the same passion we do.  

My old mans all time favourite player he thought he was wonderful and when he went to Spurs my old man took them as his English team.

Absolute gentleman. need a statue at the ground for this man.

Is that a maroon shirt he is wearing in the interview?

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

When you get these pub discussions about who was our greatest ever player, you have to be very persuasive to go past Dave Mackay.  And he loved the club with the same passion we do.  

A lovely guy.  Anyone who was privileged  to have had a conversation with him would know very quickly how much a Hearts meant to him. He’ll always be the greatest ever for me. Mind you, in the fifties we had a team full of top class players.

“I’m a winner, I have to win” just got to love that attitude, especially on the field of play.

Edited by jamboozy

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm not old enough to have seen him play but my old man says he was the best player he saw play for Hearts and outwith Hearts,both Jimmy Greaves and Brian Clough said he was the greatest ever Spurs player, which is some compliment.

Love the comment from Alex Ferguson when asked to pick his greatest Scotland XI:

"Well, first in is Dave Mackay, brackets, captain.”

Cruickshankforscotland

I heard an interview with Jim Baxter a number of years ago. He was talking about playing for Scotland and a game against England at Wembley (67 I think). He said “….Caldow was our captain- well Caldow carried the ball out - Mackay was our captain”. Mackay certainly receives universal accolades from all who knew him.

SectionDJambo

My dad had to stop going to see Hearts just around the time that Dave Mackay was sold. Business reasons. He said he broke his heart not being able to go. What eased his pain a little was that he knew Hearts would not be the same team without Dave. He said he was the driving force behind a great team and, although we still had great players after he left, he was too big a loss.

Hearts could have been the first team to win the domestic treble in Scotland had the board not been so short sighted and incompetent. Incompetent boards of directors were the norm for us during the 60s, up until Wallace took over.

davemclaren

Grew up with my dad telling me all about Dave Mackay and Willie Bauld. Never saw either play ( except Mackay who played a half time kickabout with other old players at Tynecastle about 1990 iirc ) but did have a quick chat with Dave once at an event in the Gorgie Suite. 

Would be nice to have a Willie Bauld lounge again and something named after Dave Mackay as well. 

Great player. I was in tears the day he left Hearts. But don't forget he had to play right half at Hearts as John Cummings kept him out of the left half position. Mackay is quoted as saying Cummings was the best partner he ever played with. Two great players I was lucky to see playing in maroon.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

I know the quote on the second strip.......

His first line when getting approached by Spurs.... I didnae want to go. Apologies if this has been posted before, found it profoundly lovely 

👍

davemclaren

If you haven’t already I recommend any Hearts supporter to get a copy of the book ‘The real Mackay’. A great read. 

Met him in the Gorgie Suite. Pretty sure it was the game v Rangers where Tugay controlled the ball with his arm and scored the winner in front of the Gorgie stand.

He was a gentleman.

Told me hated the photo of him and Billy Bremner because he was never that sort of player and it made him look like a thug.

One of the most iconic photos in Scottish football history but he hated it. 😆

kingantti1874

Spoke to him at a book signing which I was getting for my dad , told him that when he left he broke my old mans heart. He signed the book - “I never wanted to leave Davy, broke my heart as wel” 

Maroonblood22
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Spoke to him at a book signing which I was getting for my dad , told him that when he left he broke my old mans heart. He signed the book - “I never wanted to leave Davy, broke my heart as wel” 

That’s a brilliant wee story mate! Hope you’ve still got that book?!

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Met him in the Gorgie Suite. Pretty sure it was the game v Rangers where Tugay controlled the ball with his arm and scored the winner in front of the Gorgie stand.

He was a gentleman.

Told me hated the photo of him and Billy Bremner because he was never that sort of player and it made him look like a thug.

One of the most iconic photos in Scottish football history but he hated it. 😆

I inherited a framed signed copy of that from my dad. 

Gillsland jack

On Business in London a few years back, bloke I was talking with was a Spurs fanatic, when I told him I was a Jambo, he said, the greatest player he had ever seen was Dave Mackay, he followed that with " Dave Mackay, the man that invented the slide tackle", he had watched him as a youngster and here he was all these years later still talking about the great man.

4 hours ago, Costanza said:

I'm not old enough to have seen him play but my old man says he was the best player he saw play for Hearts and outwith Hearts,both Jimmy Greaves and Brian Clough said he was the greatest ever Spurs player, which is some compliment.

Love the comment from Alex Ferguson when asked to pick his greatest Scotland XI:

"Well, first in is Dave Mackay, brackets, captain.”

You can add Terry Venables and Alan Mullery to that list - I’m sure there are many more. 

I met him at an event held in his honour and he was an absolute gent. Would’ve loved to have seen him play. 

3 hours ago, Jambo1956 said:

Great player. I was in tears the day he left Hearts. But don't forget he had to play right half at Hearts as John Cummings kept him out of the left half position. Mackay is quoted as saying Cummings was the best partner he ever played with. Two great players I was lucky to see playing in maroon.

I remember when the rumours first started going around about a possible transfer to Spurs, everybody just laughed and said "It'll never happen," he was such an important part of a very successful Hearts team.  When the transfer happened there was stunned disbelief.  That was soon followed by anger among the Hearts supporters when we read that he had been sold for a miserly 27,000 pounds.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

I remember when the rumours first started going around about a possible transfer to Spurs, everybody just laughed and said "It'll never happen," he was such an important part of a very successful Hearts team.  When the transfer happened there was stunned disbelief.  That was soon followed by anger among the Hearts supporters when we read that he had been sold for a miserly 27,000 pounds.

£650,000 in today’s money. 

19 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The story at the time was that the money was used to pay for roofing for the west terracing (the shed). 

Met him, very briefly when I was a very young lad and did not at that time realise his importance to our club. Looking back I was very lucky to be in his presence but really really regret not knowing what I know now. 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Should have been the first £100,000 transfer. If he was, Spurs were still getting Dave MacKay on the cheap

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, Maroonblood22 said:

That’s a brilliant wee story mate! Hope you’ve still got that book?!

Well my dad does becuase it was a gift. It’s Safe and sound 👍🏻

If you go on the Spurs stadium tour the first item on display are his medals from the double season.  You see a few pictures of him throughout the tour. 

They guides are very much aware of his connection with Hearts.

Francis Albert

At the risk of boring people I will repeat the story of DM as a summariser for a Spurs- Derby County match being asked if he had mixed feelings about the outcome given his connection with both clubs. "Son, I am a Hearts fan" was his immediate response.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

At the risk of boring people I will repeat the story of DM as a summariser for a Spurs- Derby County match being asked if he had mixed feelings about the outcome given his connection with both clubs. "Son, I am a Hearts fan" was his immediate response.

I was actually looking for that on Youtube when I found the video I posted.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

was it not "who are you supporting ?" " I support Heart of Midlothian Son " 

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Then they rubbed salt in the wound by selling Alex Young (the golden vision) to Everton for a similar pittance. 

16 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

I thought it was, “I’m a Hearts man, son.”  

Big hairy hands Richard Keys was the host, I remember that much. 

Francis Albert
45 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

Maybe but I am pretty sure I heard him say "Son, I am a Hearts fan". 

"I support Heart of Midlothian son" sounds a bit pompous for him. He would surely have said just "Hearts".

8 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

Hearts best ever player without a doubt. If we ever put up a statue it would have have to be Mackay

Was voted best EVER Tottenham player in their history and they’ve had one or two good players in their history kinda tells its own story.