Sean Clare

db211833

13 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Never “flourished” at any point including under stendel who won just 2 games out of 14 in the league. Gash player and if that’s the standard for Charlton we won’t be seeing them back in the championship any time soon. 

To be fair, I thought he was one of the very few players to get pass marks under Stendel. He did well when moved to wing back.

That said, we did well to get cash for him and thought it was the right choice to sell him.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Sooks

• McCrae

• Watt-Zeefuik

A_A wehatethehibs
23 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

To be fair, I thought he was one of the very few players to get pass marks under Stendel. He did well when moved to wing back.

That said, we did well to get cash for him and thought it was the right choice to sell him.

Couldn’t give a toss if he had 2-3 OK games as an auxiliary full back. He was an important midfield signing tipped to be an important player for us and he was paid a healthy sum. He flopped spectacularly and not 1 tear was shed over him leaving. 

Ended up being one of the most over-rated Hearts players in recent memory. 

Absolutely crap, but bizarrely held up as a poster child by many. 

Auldbenches
13 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Whatever people think of Clare's performances on the pitch, I can't tolerate any of these roasters that call him things like "Chicken hearted". He's the opposite.

He could have shrank and shrivelled up when everyone was getting on his back. That could have destroyed his confidence entirely but he never let it truly get to him. He stuck it out and proved that he could rise above it. In my books he really did improve significantly towards the end.

Intelligent guy and I love that he's outspoken in his beliefs. I wish we still had someone at Hearts who was as vocal about societys ills and all that fun stuff.

This!  The guy even paid for a sports psychologist to help improve his confidence as he knew it was affecting his game.  

He put more effort in than most of tbe other signings at that time.

Hope he has a great career. 

17 hours ago, db211833 said:

Article popped up on my Google,  https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sean-clare-on-silencing-his-doubters-assessing-oxford-stay-and-second-crack-at-a-charlton-athletic-career/

Not sure Sean will ever rise above fairly average but seems likes a decent intelligent guy. Speaks well of us.

Played his best football for us under Stendel..

Grew to like Sean Clare a lot. Absolutely solid at right back and was a standout every week under Stendel.

Салатные палочки

Saw flashes of brilliance from him but not enough. 

• 8 months later...
upgotheheads
17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Some questions answered 

Incredibly brave of him to state the facts like that. I liked him as a player but he was unfortunate to be playing at such a crap time for Hearts, his late goal at St Johnston was brilliant.

Weakened Offender

I like Sean. He was treated horribly here for a long time and rose above it in a very dignified manner. 

John Findlay

Aw the best Sean, hope all goes well, and you have a speedy recovery.

Many thanks for converting your penalty at Easter Road.

Watt-Zeefuik

Ooft. That's not going to be an easy surgery.

All the best to him. I don't mind players that don't work out as long as they put in an honest shift and don't lose the head. I'm glad it's gone well for him down south.

RustyRightPeg

Good luck Sean. A fair few arseholes in our support should be ashamed at how they treated you. 

Football aside, best wishes are with him. 

FC Wacker München
36 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Ooft. That's not going to be an easy surgery.

All the best to him. I don't mind players that don't work out as long as they put in an honest shift and don't lose the head. I'm glad it's gone well for him down south.

It’s a fairly straightforward surgery.

Watt-Zeefuik
11 minutes ago, FC Wacker München said:

It’s a fairly straightforward surgery.

For a patch of skin that size on his face?!?

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good luck to him with this.

My son never fails to remind me that I promised him a full kit with his name printed on the back if Sean Clare ever scored. That was about five minutes before he got his first ever goal for us v Livvy in the cup.

Why does he need to remind you. Surely you didn’t welch out on the deal. 

jambo-in-furness

I was a big fan when he was with us,  wish him all the best for the future,  good luck Sean.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

If I'm not a shite father now, then he has no interesting 'overcome the odds' backstory when he makes it big in the future.

Outstanding reply 😂 Solid logic, as every big shot from Barbra Streisand to Eminem need that emotionally stressed childhood to spur them on 

ToadKiller Dog

For most of his time with us looked like a player with little confidence in his own ability ,I think Stendal was able to get him over that and he improved ,if he would have improved more I don't know .

Good guy but right decision to move him on.

heartsfc_fan

I quite liked him in his last 6 months. Vastly improved.

I think he would've done well in our current team.

Sean was the worst thing since sliced bread, according to Pep and his cronies on here.

He became ‘no bad’ when his position was changed, according to all the Klopps on here.

The truth is, he was the same player at all times and, as most decent human beings should be able to relate to, took very badly to the horrendous abuse he took from many fans.

Good luck with the operation, Mr Clare.

52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Sean was the worst thing since sliced bread, according to Pep and his cronies on here.

He became ‘no bad’ when his position was changed, according to all the Klopps on here.

The truth is, he was the same player at all times and, as most decent human beings should be able to relate to, took very badly to the horrendous abuse he took from many fans.

We can all have opinions of his ability as a footballer, but when it comes to this, we are all on his side. Good luck to the lad.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Good post I agree with this he did not change much at all but some had a pre determined idea of him and refused to change it …………… he took some abuse on Twitter and I really felt for the man

FC Wacker München
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

For a patch of skin that size on his face?!?

Yes.

Your ignorance is noted, however.

1 minute ago, FC Wacker München said:

Yes.

Your ignorance is noted, however.

I am ignorant too then because I also thought it was a pretty risky procedure to remove a birth mark that size ……………. I think a big issue is whether or not it is vascular 

Stuttgart 2000

Really liked him when he eventually found his feet with us,  was majorly hyped up by Levein which didn’t help, he would be ideal for a euro run next season👌
hope he makes a swift recovery🇱🇻🇱🇻

I liked Sean Clare. He joined us at the wrong time. He would have prospered in the present side. I hope his operation goes well.

Best wishes to him, a likeable guy & a good player. Would have been interesting to see him in the current setup rather than the Levein shitshow, Charlton fans seem to be keen on him

I really rated him. Very good player.

A memory I have of him was a game against Celtic. Hickey got himself in trouble in the box. So sensibly put the ball out for a throw in. Berra (our captain)screamed blue murder at him. It was Clare who put an arm round him and told him it was OK. This at a time he wasn't exactly playing his best.

Clearly a great guy and I wish him all the best in football and life.

jack D and coke
On 31/07/2021 at 09:58, Peebo said:

This. He was absolutely shite imo. 

spirt of 98

Sean Clare was a good you player in a poor Hearts team. Us fans got on his back and he was one of a few that took the blame for the gash performances. 

Who over rated him he got nothing but totally un justified abuse from day one 

Glamorgan Jambo

Was hung out to dry by Levein who totally overhyped him putting huge pressure on what was a very young player (see also Vanecek). Glad to see him settling at Charlton after short stints at Oxford and Burton (playing in the Souttar role on the right of a back 3).

Hope the operation goes as planned and he’s back in the Addicks defence come August.

Agreed.