• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Sooks

• McCrae

• Watt-Zeefuik

Clare was rubbish to begin with, but ended up very good once he became fully fit and was used differently by the manager.

People are down on the guy because he kept getting picked to play when he was rubbish (rather like Pereira). Which wasn’t Clare’s fault. It’s not as if he was going to refuse to play.

A_A wehatethehibs

Never “flourished” at any point including under stendel who won just 2 games out of 14 in the league. Gash player and if that’s the standard for Charlton we won’t be seeing them back in the championship any time soon. 

Randy Marsh
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

One of the only glimmers of light from the past 5 years of dross.

This. I liked him.  He had a slow start but a great attitude. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Clare was rubbish to begin with, but ended up very good once he became fully fit and was used differently by the manager.

People are down on the guy because he kept getting picked to play when he was rubbish (rather like Pereira). Which wasn’t Clare’s fault. It’s not as if he was going to refuse to play.

thing is he was never “very good” but without doubt he improved massively.  He was never a right back in a zillion years, positionally he was all over the place and physically not up to it.   He did show some talent but I’ve. No idea what his best position is but it should never include any sort of defending

Savage Vince

He took some abuse from the stands and on social media but he always kept his head up and tried to keep going. Never hid.

Good luck to the guy. 

Thought Stendel was getting a tune out of him. The standing ovation Clare got after his red card against Aberdeen because of the effort he put in that game. He really came out his shell towards the end of his time at Hearts.

He's a bit of a journeyman but thought he was good enough for the SPL.

Dennis Reynolds

He definitely started to show why we had signed him near the end of his time here. Was a better player than he was given credit for but as a couple other posters have said, was hung out to dry. Don't think we miss him but best of luck to him for the future.

Jean Louis Valois

He's a good guy, unfortunately he was playing his best football for us under Stendal when covid hit. Hope he has a good career.

Fort Vallance

He got saddled with the hype before he arrived. We thought we were getting a superstar. What we got was a reasonably talented player who arrived at a time when everything was going pear shaped. None of it was his fault, but at the end of the day he was no better and no worse than dozens of others that arrived with a big reputation.

upgotheheads
6 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

He got saddled with the hype before he arrived. We thought we were getting a superstar. What we got was a reasonably talented player who arrived at a time when everything was going pear shaped. None of it was his fault, but at the end of the day he was no better and no worse than dozens of others that arrived with a big reputation.

👍

alwaysthereinspirit
39 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Never “flourished” at any point including under stendel who won just 2 games out of 14 in the league. Gash player and if that’s the standard for Charlton we won’t be seeing them back in the championship any time soon. 

Prone to over exaggerating much? Gash?

Not even close to being gash. I’m at gash level. Overhyped maybe? But not by himself.

Gash is pretty much $#!te. There’s not much below gash. You must be new to  watching Hearts. We’ve had hundreds of players worse than him over the 50 odd years I’ve been watching us.

Glamorgan Jambo

Knows how to take a penalty and knows how to beat a man.

Doesn’t yet know his best position which at 24 is a concern. Hope it goes well for him at Charlton.

Wasn’t done any favours by Levein’s ridiculous over hyping when he arrived. His set up of Edwards’ goal in the cup final

was a lot more difficult than it looked.

Seemed a really good bloke and despite all the criticism and poor performances he never hid (some like to claim he did, or he was lazy but they're wrong imo).

Awful at first but you could see he had something, we saw that something a bit more under Stendel but unfortunately for him he (like many others) suffered from poor management before that.

Not great, but an honest worker with a bit of talent and I wish him all the best.

Greedy Jambo

He was a lot better when he was played as a wing back. 

Rather like Edwards, once he started showing that he had something to offer, he was shown the door. 

Obviously a bit different because we got money for him. 

Suffered because levein and mcphee couldn't find a position for him. When stendel came in he was able to identify attributes and bring him onto a game. Remember levein also binned Liam Gordon and Ali McCann Scottish Cup winners and very decent players. Sums them up 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Thought Stendel was getting a tune out of him. The standing ovation Clare got after his red card against Aberdeen because of the effort he put in that game. He really came out his shell towards the end of his time at Hearts.

He's a bit of a journeyman but thought he was good enough for the SPL.

Stendel = decent coach.

Levein = clown.

Guest ToqueJambo

Needs to find his best position and stick to it otherwise I'm always going to think of him as a poor man's Eggert Jonsson.

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

Suffered because levein and mcphee couldn't find a position for him. When stendel came in he was able to identify attributes and bring him onto a game. Remember levein also binned Liam Gordon and Ali McCann Scottish Cup winners and very decent players. Sums them up 

Liam Gordon took 5 years after leaving Hearts to really establish himself at St J, going out on loan twice. Not sure we would have had squad capacity for that. When was McCann at Hearts?

Nice pen and celrbration vs Hibs, sweet strike vs St Johnstone. Talented player no club has seen to full extent. 

Edited by Riccarton3

40 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Stendel = decent coach.

Levein = clown.

summed up.

I really liked Clare. Played in ridiculous positions by Levein and he suffered (not the only one). Once Stendel came in he flourished and could see his talent and potential. I was sad he left but that was the price of going down and having Levein for too long.

Good luck to the lad. 

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Congratulations……your Clueless Clown status has been confirmed for another season.

Looked like he was lost in most games. Only found his feet when he was played deep and he could see the game in front of him. Could be a very effective wing back given time. 

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Knows how to take a penalty and knows how to beat a man.

Doesn’t yet know his best position which at 24 is a concern. Hope it goes well for him at Charlton.

Wasn’t done any favours by Levein’s ridiculous over hyping when he arrived. His set up of Edwards’ goal in the cup final

was a lot more difficult than it looked.

I thought it was a very lazy attempt at a back heel and he got extremely lucky. 

skinnybob72
7 minutes ago, mrcrisps said:

We used him poorly. Good footballer. Hope he goes on to do well.

And good penalty taker. :)

Agree with this, good luck to him wherever he ends up. We've seen far, far worse in maroon.

Utter pish, who sort of came out his shell for a few games under Stendel. Levein sold us pish that Premier League clubs wanted him at the time. Well **** me we all fell for it.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Liam Gordon took 5 years after leaving Hearts to really establish himself at St J, going out on loan twice. Not sure we would have had squad capacity for that. When was McCann at Hearts?

Yep he was as a youngster. My mates old boy scouted him and brought him in...

Guest ToqueJambo
35 minutes ago, Phage said:

Good attitude 

Athletic 

Ruined by CL

Unfortunately I agree with this. If he was such a good prospect, which he seemed to be going by the chat in England, Levein should have had a plan for him and a position in mind.

He did seem to see him as a development project and wanted to ease him in going by his comments when he signed, but when our injuries hit he just shoehorned the poor lad in wherever we had a gap. Great attitude as you say and a fair bit of technique and skill I thought. Always thought he was a very controlled tackler as well. I'd take him back as a more attacking RWB alternative to Smith.

Edited by ToqueJambo

I thought Sean was technically good, very athletic but perhaps hadn't really found a position and didn't really have that knowledge of a specific position to really excel. For example, if Sean had M. Smith's understanding of his position, he'd be top level with the other attributes he had. 

In many ways like C. Paterson. 

PhoenixHearts

Whatever people think of Clare's performances on the pitch, I can't tolerate any of these roasters that call him things like "Chicken hearted". He's the opposite.

He could have shrank and shrivelled up when everyone was getting on his back. That could have destroyed his confidence entirely but he never let it truly get to him. He stuck it out and proved that he could rise above it. In my books he really did improve significantly towards the end.

Intelligent guy and I love that he's outspoken in his beliefs. I wish we still had someone at Hearts who was as vocal about societys ills and all that fun stuff.

30 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

Yep he was as a youngster. My mates old boy scouted him and brought him in...

How old was he when he was at Hearts? Apparently joined St. Johnstone when he was 12.

6 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Whatever people think of Clare's performances on the pitch, I can't tolerate any of these roasters that call him things like "Chicken hearted". He's the opposite.

He could have shrank and shrivelled up when everyone was getting on his back. That could have destroyed his confidence entirely but he never let it truly get to him. He stuck it out and proved that he could rise above it. In my books he really did improve significantly towards the end.

Intelligent guy and I love that he's outspoken in his beliefs. I wish we still had someone at Hearts who was as vocal about societys ills and all that fun stuff.

Too true. He often picked good runs into space without being picked out with the necessary killer pass; but kept trying. Also, he came across very well at a meet & greet.

He was certainly not chicken hearted. As an above poster says he was shoe horned into ridiculous positions by Levein. Chronically mismanaged and it unsurprisingly affected him. Once he was deployed correctly he was a very good player for us. Just a shame Levein made a mess of it, but then he did that with many, which he has more or less admitted 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What has Stendel’s win rate got to do with Clare’s performances as a Hearts player?  

Average player but far, far more effective under Stendel than he was under Levein.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

What has Stendel’s win rate got to do with Clare’s performances as a Hearts player?  

Average player but far, far more effective under Stendel than he was under Levein.

About the only good thing Stendel did in a team-building sense, other than bringing in Sibbick and Boyce, was finding a position for Clare and letting him stay there. Still doesn't make up for sticking with that goalie.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

About the only good thing Stendel did in a team-building sense, other than bringing in Sibbick and Boyce, was finding a position for Clare and letting him stay there. Still doesn't make up for sticking with that goalie.

You could add getting rid of Berrra and Whelan to that first sentence.  And one of the worst things Neilson did was bringing Berra back. 

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You could add getting rid of Berrra and Whelan to that first sentence.  And one of the worst things Neilson did was bringing Berra back. 

And yet we still skooshed the championship with Berra in the team. Neilson even got 120 decent minutes out of him in a cup final against Celtic, which was nothing short of miraculous. It made sense to keep Berra given the circumstances surely?

If who we got rid of is the sign of a good manager then surely Neilson should get some credit for ditching umpteen duds from the last couple of years.

Edited by ToqueJambo

A_A wehatethehibs
5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Neilson didn’t “bring berra back” he inherited him. Berra had a contract here. The decision was based on him looking fine at Dundee and us being otherwise badly short at CB. Contract now expired and not renewed. 

19-20 season? All players, all shite. No pass marks for anyone. 

I hate pretty much every single player who was involved in that relegation season. Irks me that Walker and Halkett are still hanging about, i have no faith in them as long term players here but Neilson made do with them, did a job in the championship. If he can make them Hearts standard players in the Premiership that officially would make him a wonder manager. For some reason players got off scott free for that season, despite putting in the WORST season we have ever seen FOUR POINTS ADRIFT at the bottom on big wages like Clare. Sure the buck stops with managers, but the players were getting outclassed by Hamilton, Motherwell etc players consistently over a 50 game period. Absolutely abysmal and far, far worse an achievement than getting knocked out any cup in any one off game. Them players got Hearts into relegation position and got 2 managers sacked. Clare was the definition of powderpuff in the most powderpuff hearts midfields tynecastle has ever seen. But for some reason everyone now appears to love him in revisionist fashion because he played 2-3 half decent games when stendel punted him to right back because we had no cover there, fans only acknowledge his attacking touches in those games ignoring his defensive frailties in a defensively critical role in a defence that leaked goals like a sieve under both managers that year.

Anyway that’s officially the last rant I’ll go on over that season. Never shed any tears at all when Clare, Uche, Bozanic, Irving, Berra and the 15 others from that season were punted by the new manager Neilson in his first year. We go back up with a completely different team now which was the most important task after the demotion. 

11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Your on the wind up😂obviously your absence at tynecastle must have extended to zero tv coverage as well!

Levein bet too heavily on Claire and Whelan being a winning combination at the start of the season. 
I don’t think we fully recovered from that. 

1 hour ago, albishop said:

Levein bet too heavily on Claire and Whelan being a winning combination at the start of the season. 
I don’t think we fully recovered from that. 

Was it Cameron he was comparing Clare to at the start of that season? 

Don’t get the amount of folk who thought Clare turned in to a very good player. He started poorly and did improve but at no point was he much better than average. Took a decent pen and scored a couple of good goals but in general the game passed him by most weeks. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Don’t get the amount of folk who thought Clare turned in to a very good player. He started poorly and did improve but at no point was he much better than average. Took a decent pen and scored a couple of good goals but in general the game passed him by most weeks. 

Yep - what he did do was improve significantly. In an unbelievably poor team. 

the bar was so low that people are confusing this as being good .