• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Hesh

• Jambof3tornado

• Mikey1874

Footballfirst

A Hearts XI has a friendly against the Robbie Fowler Academy at 2pm this afternoon.  I don't know which age group is involved.

The U18s next game is at home to Celtic on Friday, also at 2pm.

Niemi’s gloves
15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A Hearts XI has a friendly against the Robbie Fowler Academy at 2pm this afternoon.  I don't know which age group is involved.

RFA appear to encompass 16-19 age group. They played a Motherwell U18 team last Tuesday

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Whats the status of these "star" academies ?   Do they have age-group teams enrolled in local leagues ...... like a boys club ?     Do they only take kids who already have a high performance/skill level ?  

Somebody told me  last week that Danny Swanson has his own "academy".    :berra:

Footballfirst

Hearts won comfortably 5-1 with goals from Spence, Kirk (2), Ross & Docherty.

It was a mix of reserves and youths against a team of 16-18 year olds. I assume that there is no bounce game for the reserves this week as Hearts older players played the full 90 minutes 

Paris

Docherty Beagley Darge Watson

McLuckie Spence Denholm Ross Devlin

Schiavone

Subs used: McFarlane, Rathie, Nair, Sandilands, Ross, Hambrook

The game was quite entertaining with some well taken goals. It was played with a fair amount of energy and commitment from both sides. Hearts led 1-0 at half time but got stronger as the game went on and could have won by more in the end.  

On 31/07/2021 at 15:02, Jambof3tornado said:

What sort of age do we tend to pick up from the likes of spartans and hutchie etc?

From age 6/7 onwards 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Whats the status of these "star" academies ?   Do they have age-group teams enrolled in local leagues ...... like a boys club ?     Do they only take kids who already have a high performance/skill level ?  

Somebody told me  last week that Danny Swanson has his own "academy".    :berra:

I'm not sure about its status, but I'd guess that it acts as an educational opportunity for budding footballers who haven't made it into the pro youth equivalents in the Liverpool area, allowing them to combine study with football at a decent level (although not professional).

So does Gary “wanna see a real mans boaby” O’Connor

Niemi’s gloves

Danny Swanson’s academy is for young kids aged 2 and a half to 11. I guess it’s essentially like the community courses that Hearts run in school holidays but for an hour or two running round the year.

The “star” academies in England seem to be a result of the educational set up there, where you can’t just leave school at 16  but rather have to stay in some sort of college education or traineeship/apprenticeship (you can work a maximum of 20 hours combined with part time study) until you are 18. I think in the case of the Robbie Fowler Academy (full name the Fowler education and football academy) they are picking up 16 year old kids from the Liverpool area who have been would-be footballers but aren’t good enough for LFC or other professional clubs to take on on pro contracts. I think the idea is that there are a whole load of kids who haven’t fitted in to conventional school education (and haven’t really tried to) because their dream was to be pro footballers. To some extent these academies keep their dream alive while trying to repair the shortfall in their education and trying to give them broader horizons. 

LarrysRightFoot
52 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts won comfortably 5-1 with goals from Spence, Kirk (2), Ross & Docherty.

It was a mix of reserves and youths against a team of 16-18 year olds. I assume that there is no bounce game for the reserves this week as Hearts older players played the full 90 minutes 

Paris

Docherty Beagley Darge Watson

McLuckie Spence Denholm Ross Devlin

Schiavone

Subs used: McFarlane, Rathie, Nair, Sandilands, Ross, Hambrook

The game was quite entertaining with some well taken goals. It was played with a fair amount of energy and commitment from both sides. Hearts led 1-0 at half time but got stronger as the game went on and could have won by more in the end.  

FF you said Kirk got 2 but he’s not listed in the team you noted? 

Re Kirk does he look a prospect? I’d love for us to produce a striker. 

Footballfirst
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

FF you said Kirk got 2 but he’s not listed in the team you noted? 

Re Kirk does he look a prospect? I’d love for us to produce a striker. 

Sorry, I just missed him off the list of subs. (he came on at half time).

He is definitely improving and has scored a few in recent games.  He's very much in the same mould as his dad, making angled runs into space and decent both in the air and on the ground. 

19 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Danny Swanson’s academy is for young kids aged 2 and a half to 11. I guess it’s essentially like the community courses that Hearts run in school holidays but for an hour or two running round the year.

The “star” academies in England seem to be a result of the educational set up there, where you can’t just leave school at 16  but rather have to stay in some sort of college education or traineeship/apprenticeship (you can work a maximum of 20 hours combined with part time study) until you are 18. I think in the case of the Robbie Fowler Academy (full name the Fowler education and football academy) they are picking up 16 year old kids from the Liverpool area who have been would-be footballers but aren’t good enough for LFC or other professional clubs to take on on pro contracts. I think the idea is that there are a whole load of kids who haven’t fitted in to conventional school education (and haven’t really tried to) because their dream was to be pro footballers. To some extent these academies keep their dream alive while trying to repair the shortfall in their education and trying to give them broader horizons. 

Interesting to find where the funding comes for these.

Pro contracts, plus coaching, plus education?

Footballfirst

Tomorrow's U18 game against Celtic has been called off.

Apparently, Celtic is unable to play a 1st Team game, a "B" team game and an U18 game within 3 days.

FF, on the subject of 18s, I see that Ryan Schiavone has been loaned to Dumbarton, he played regularly in the 18s last season.  What are your thoughts on this lad, he's listed as a striker on the Hearts site, is he someone who might have the potential to go on and push for a place in the first team squad?

On 09/08/2021 at 17:35, davie1980 said:

Interesting to find where the funding comes for these.

Pro contracts, plus coaching, plus education?

I can guarantee that funding for O'Connor's academy doesn't come from O'Connor, I presume there is some subsidy arrangement that also pays O'Connor for his involvement, which will help with his council rent payments and cocaine habit.  

John Findlay

Apparently, Celtic is unable to play a 1st Team game, a "B" team game and an U18 game within 3 days.

3-0 win awarded to Hearts for Celtic failing to fulfil a fixture?

Footballfirst
28 minutes ago, RobNox said:

FF, on the subject of 18s, I see that Ryan Schiavone has been loaned to Dumbarton, he played regularly in the 18s last season.  What are your thoughts on this lad, he's listed as a striker on the Hearts site, is he someone who might have the potential to go on and push for a place in the first team squad?

I don't like saying that any youth will or won't make it, only that they have a chance, which is the same for all the lads given full time contracts.

Ryan came to Hearts from Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts as a winger. He was unusual in that respect as he was quite tall for his age group.  He still occasionally plays wide, but has been developed into playing as a striker.  He has decent pace and is not too bad in the air, so he has a chance.

That said I haven't seen him play that much over the last couple of years because of the pandemic and him being injured a few times. In other words don't rely on my judgement.   

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That's the way it should be. Celtic chose to enter a B team in the LL. If they can't fulfil a fixture at any level then they should be sanctioned for that failure.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't like saying that any youth will or won't make it, only that they have a chance, which is the same for all the lads given full time contracts.

Ryan came to Hearts from Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts as a winger. He was unusual in that respect as he was quite tall for his age group.  He still occasionally plays wide, but has been developed into playing as a striker.  He has decent pace and is not too bad in the air, so he has a chance.

That said I haven't seen him play that much over the last couple of years because of the pandemic and him being injured a few times. In other words don't rely on my judgement.   

Thanks for the response FF.  I know you take in a lot of the games involving younger age groups, so I always welcome any insight you can provide.  I guess what you're saying is that the jury is still out, but he has a chance.  So let's see how he does at Dumbarton.

No doubt you'll have seen many young players in your time who got you excited, but never managed to push on, and others who looked nothing special initially, but went on to progress to the first team.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, RobNox said:

Thanks for the response FF.  I know you take in a lot of the games involving younger age groups, so I always welcome any insight you can provide.  I guess what you're saying is that the jury is still out, but he has a chance.  So let's see how he does at Dumbarton.

No doubt you'll have seen many young players in your time who got you excited, but never managed to push on, and others who looked nothing special initially, but went on to progress to the first team.

I have similar discussions with my mates in the pub. Generally (in those private conversations) I get it right with those who I don't think will make it. However, sometimes I'm surprised by the odd player who seems to come from nowhere.  For those who I think have a good chance, more often than not, they may appear then disappear just as quickly, although they may end up playing at a lower level.

As far as the academy goes there are always one or two at each age group who are clearly better than their peers. What I hope to see is the potential for a "golden generation" with half a dozen or more with a chance of making it.  The last group that I felt had that potential was the 2002s, with Connor Smith, Scot McGill, Cammy Logan and Harry Stone who are still at Hearts Josh Doig at Hibs plus Leeroy Makavora, Robbie Cole, Mackenzie Lawler, Brodie Strang, Josh Grigor, Lucas Berry, Cammy Graham and Michael Mbewe, most of whom are playing in lower leagues in tiers 3-6.  

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Nothing really there for Celtic B to play for.  Practice games only and to finish above Rangers B.

Finlay James
6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I have similar discussions with my mates in the pub. Generally (in those private conversations) I get it right with those who I don't think will make it. However, sometimes I'm surprised by the odd player who seems to come from nowhere.  For those who I think have a good chance, more often than not, they may appear then disappear just as quickly, although they may end up playing at a lower level.

As far as the academy goes there are always one or two at each age group who are clearly better than their peers. What I hope to see is the potential for a "golden generation" with half a dozen or more with a chance of making it.  The last group that I felt had that potential was the 2002s, with Connor Smith, Scot McGill, Cammy Logan and Harry Stone who are still at Hearts Josh Doig at Hibs plus Leeroy Makavora, Robbie Cole, Mackenzie Lawler, Brodie Strang, Josh Grigor, Lucas Berry, Cammy Graham and Michael Mbewe, most of whom are playing in lower leagues in tiers 3-6.  

I would like to see Connor Smith push himself into first team contention this season.  I know he's been around the squad and on the bench but I'd like to see him force Robbie to start him.

underwaterwoodwelder

On the topic of boys football my son is playing against the famous J Ts tomorrow at under 11s I love watching raw young talent. 

If Fife elite score in happy and if the wee jambos score I'm happy ..

John Findlay
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

That's the way it should be. Celtic chose to enter a B team in the LL. If they can't fulfil a fixture at any level then they should be sanctioned for that failure.

Totally agree with you.

13 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Don’t think there’s any benefit to that in a development league, although I don’t believe for a minute they couldn’t have fielded a team 

Edited by Hesh

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Don’t think there’s any benefit to that in a development league, although I don’t believe for a minute they couldn’t have fielded a team 

Putting my cynical hat on (is it ever actually off with regard to Scottish football) the benefit is to the SPFL who can now proclaim the punish all (including the uglies) clubs for not fulfilling fixtures. Of course, as you rightly allude it has no real meaning in the development league. 

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Putting my cynical hat on (is it ever actually off with regard to Scottish football) the benefit is to the SPFL who can now proclaim the punish all (including the uglies) clubs for not fulfilling fixtures. Of course, as you rightly allude it has no real meaning in the development league. 

No just Celtic though, Hubz cancelled their match last week as they had players away at a tournament and Hamilton have cancelled today because if the shambles caused with their manager leaving 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Hesh said:

No just Celtic though, Hubz cancelled their match last week as they had players away at a tournament and Hamilton have cancelled today because if the shambles caused with their manager leaving 

Fair enough but my cynicism still stands though. ::troll::

17 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Part of Gordon Strachan's remit at Celtic.

Maybe he'll sort it out.

Footballfirst
On 13/08/2021 at 14:49, Mikey1874 said:

Part of Gordon Strachan's remit at Celtic.

Maybe he'll sort it out.

I spoke to a scout at the Hearts U15 game this morning. He checked his records and advised me that Celtic has 40 players registered at U18.  There should have been no reason to call the game off. They are taking the piss.

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I spoke to a scout at the Hearts U15 game this morning. He checked his records and advised me that Celtic has 40 players registered at U18.  There should have been no reason to call the game off. They are taking the piss.

Seems that way. Their B team won 10-0 in the LL today (Rangers B won 9-1).  Looks like Scottish football is becoming even more polluted, thanks to their B teams battling it out to win promotion to L2 via playoff.      Utterly depressing. 

31 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Seems that way. Their B team won 10-0 in the LL today (Rangers B won 9-1).  Looks like Scottish football is becoming even more polluted, thanks to their B teams battling it out to win promotion to L2 via playoff.      Utterly depressing. 

They can’t be promoted, at least at the moment 

6 hours ago, Hesh said:

They can’t be promoted, at least at the moment 

True

But, we will find them in a higher tier next season, of that I am sadly sure.

Jambof3tornado

Sorry to jump in on this but noticed no jambos in the latest scotland u21 squad, is this usual, I thought historically we always got one or two in the squads??

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Sorry to jump in on this but noticed no jambos in the latest scotland u21 squad, is this usual, I thought historically we always got one or two in the squads??

It reflects the absence of U21s playing regularly in the Hearts first team.

Jambof3tornado

I did wonder. Thanks mate, bit disappointing. How well are we represented at you come down the age groups?

55 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

No Hearts players in latest U17 squad either

You'd think Pollock would be in if not injured.

And let's not forget Hickey barely got a lookin at int level despite being a standout from age 16. Some lad from Ayr was continually picked in front of him constantly.

Footballfirst
53 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

No Hearts players in latest U17 squad either

Grieg Allen was with us until a few weeks ago.

Scotland U16s lost 3-2 in a friendly against England at St Georges Park on Wednesday.  I don't know the line-up, but Ewan Simpson may have been involved, given his absence from today's U18 squad.

Mackenzie Ross and Bobby McLuckie had both been involved in earlier U16 training camps.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Grieg Allen was with us until a few weeks ago.

Scotland U16s lost 3-2 in a friendly against England at St Georges Park on Wednesday.  I don't know the line-up, but Ewan Simpson may have been involved, given his absence from today's U18 squad.

Mackenzie Ross and Bobby McLuckie had both been involved in earlier U16 training camps.

Only seen a few names mentioned involved in that game, Scottish FA are pretty poor at reporting these things. One of the players (and goal scorer was Motherwell's Lennon Miller, son of ex-Hearts player Lee Miller.

Portable Badger
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Game kicks off at 1pm.

Any news on how we got on against the Lambs (mini-sheep)?

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Only seen a few names mentioned involved in that game, Scottish FA are pretty poor at reporting these things. One of the players (and goal scorer was Motherwell's Lennon Miller, son of ex-Hearts player Lee Miller.

Have found out that Simpson withdrew from the Scotland squad because of injury, although McLuckie was there. McLuckie has obviously returned to take a place on the bench today.

Hearts apparently didn't play very well today, despite the result.

Niemi’s gloves
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Maybe a bit disappointed that Harry Stone didn’t get picked. One of the three GKs who did get chosen is Brian Kinnear who was released by Rangers in the summer and has the sum total of 2 games senior experience, for Annan Athletic, behind him. Ok, he was picked up by West Ham but nonetheless…..