Hearts U18s

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The U18s played their first competitive fixture of the season this afternoon/evening against Hamilton Accies and won 3-2 after trailing 2-0 at half time.

Team lines.

Hearts fielded a very young side due to the non availability of a number of first picks. They looked as if they would struggle after an indifferent first half, but fought back well in the second half following some strong words at half time from John Rankin that carried across the park.  They played with a bit more intensity and defended a bit higher up the park, which enabled them to create more chances.

The scorers were Michael Aitken, Murray Thomas from the penalty spot and Callum Sandilands. 

Edited by Footballfirst

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Hesh

• Jambof3tornado

• Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The U18s played their first competitive fixture of the season this afternoon/evening against Hamilton Accies and won 3-2 after trailing 2-0 at half time.

Team lines.

Hearts fielded a very young side due to the non availability of a number of first picks. They looked as if they would struggle after an indifferent first half, but fought back well in the second half following some strong words at half time from John Rankin that carried across the park.  They played with a bit more intensity and defended a bit higher up the park, which enabled them to create more chances.

The scorers were Michael Aitken, Murray Thomas from the penalty spot and Callum Sandilands. 

Cheers for this FF , keeping us on the ball 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.    👏🏻

Niemi’s gloves

As a matter of interest, what is the age qualification for this U-18 league. I thought this season it would be 2004’s and later but I think Harris Spratt is a (November) 2003. Is there a dispensation for GKs or generally some overage players allowed? Or is it based on age on the day of the game? Or maybe I’ve just got it wrong and it’s 2003’s and later?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

As a matter of interest, what is the age qualification for this U-18 league. I thought this season it would be 2004’s and later but I think Harris Spratt is a (November) 2003. Is there a dispensation for GKs or generally some overage players allowed? Or is it based on age on the day of the game? Or maybe I’ve just got it wrong and it’s 2003’s and later?

I'm not sure, but I know that the younger groups at the academy use the calendar year and play a summer season, so U16s are 2006s or younger, U15s 2007s, U14s 2008s.  There is also dispensation for a player to play a year down if their physical development is behind that of their peers.

The U18s play a winter season, so they may apply your age as at the start of the season e.g. if you are U18 on 1 August then you are eligible all season long.  It could also be that the U18s also use the calendar year, but allow an overage goalkeeper.  However, Hearts had a younger keeper on the bench today in Zach Paris.

Niemi’s gloves
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm not sure, but I know that the younger groups at the academy use the calendar year and play a summer season, so U16s are 2006s or younger, U15s 2007s, U14s 2008s.  There is also dispensation for a player to play a year down if their physical development is behind that of their peers.

The U18s play a winter season, so they may apply your age as at the start of the season e.g. if you are U18 on 1 August then you are eligible all season long.  It could also be that the U18s also use the calendar year, but allow an overage goalkeeper.  However, Hearts had a younger keeper on the bench today in Zach Paris.

Thanks FF

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Jambo1956 said:

FF do you know how Michael Beagley is doing. Thanks,

He's doing fine when played in his best position (RB or RWB) but has been asked to play CB in a back 3 in some games where he is less effective.

Last night the defence struggled, particularly in the first half when Hamilton hit them on the beak, but improved along with the rest of the team in the second half when they upped their work rate.  

52 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

FF any idea where the trialists were from? Just wondering where we are targeting our newer talent?

Kemp is a Hutchie boy. Sure he played a couple of games at the end of last season too. Not sure about the others 

Jambof3tornado
18 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Kemp is a Hutchie boy. Sure he played a couple of games at the end of last season too. Not sure about the others 

Thanks mate. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

He's doing fine when played in his best position (RB or RWB) but has been asked to play CB in a back 3 in some games where he is less effective.

Last night the defence struggled, particularly in the first half when Hamilton hit them on the beak, but improved along with the rest of the team in the second half when they upped their work rate.  

Some things never change.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

FF any idea where the trialists were from? Just wondering where we are targeting our newer talent?

Kemp was one of 3 Hutchie trialists who were brought in, but the other two appear to have been released.

Sandilands has come in from Rangers and appears worth signing for his goal scoring if nothing else.

Devlin came from Celtic along with Spence who has also played in the last week or so.

Forrester, also from Rangers, appears to have been released as he has not appeared in recent games. 

Jambof3tornado
39 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Kemp was one of 3 Hutchie trialists who were brought in, but the other two appear to have been released.

Sandilands has come in from Rangers and appears worth signing for his goal scoring if nothing else.

Devlin came from Celtic along with Spence who has also played in the last week or so.

Forrester, also from Rangers, appears to have been released as he has not appeared in recent games. 

I did wonder whether we still look closely at kids not quite making it at rangers and celtic. Great stuff.

6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I did wonder whether we still look closely at kids not quite making it at rangers and celtic. Great stuff.

Saw  the Rangers got beat yesterday 

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Oh, and don't get mugged by thinking all the best kids are going/playing at Celtic/the Rangers 

Edited by Hesh

Jambof3tornado
26 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Oh, and don't get mugged by thinking all the best kids are going/playing at Celtic/the Rangers 

Oh I'm well aware of that. Its the one or 2 we may pick up that I was on about. I like to keep an eye on where our youngsters are coming through from.

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Oh I'm well aware of that. Its the one or 2 we may pick up that I was on about. I like to keep an eye on where our youngsters are coming through from.

Hearts in recent years have taken quite a few from Spartans.

Jambof3tornado
21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hearts in recent years have taken quite a few from Spartans.

What sort of age do we tend to pick up from the likes of spartans and hutchie etc?

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

What sort of age do we tend to pick up from the likes of spartans and hutchie etc?

All ages.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Among the 2008s to 2010s Hearts have players recruited from:

East Fife, Falkirk Community, Duloch Juniors, Spartans, Linlithgow Rose, Salvesen, KSQ, Bonnyrigg Rose, Blue Brazil, Syngenta, East Calder, Musselburgh Windsor, Stenhousemuir, Tynecastle, Broxburn, Hutchie Vale, Cumbernauld Colts, Pars Foundation, Dunipace, Tranent, Currie Star, Loanhead. 

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Among the 2008s to 2010s Hearts have players recruited from:

East Fife, Falkirk Community, Duloch Juniors, Spartans, Linlithgow Rose, Salvesen, KSQ, Bonnyrigg Rose, Blue Brazil, Syngenta, East Calder, Musselburgh Windsor, Stenhousemuir, Tynecastle, Broxburn, Hutchie Vale, Cumbernauld Colts, Pars Foundation, Dunipace, Tranent, Currie Star, Loanhead. 

Thanks mate, quite a spread. Is it age related that they all seem within 30 to 40 miles max of Edinburgh. Bit ignorant of the rules for youngsters regarding travelling etc.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Thanks mate, quite a spread. Is it age related that they all seem within 30 to 40 miles max of Edinburgh. Bit ignorant of the rules for youngsters regarding travelling etc.

I think that it's just the optimum range for our natural catchment area. You have to consider travelling times after school for training as well as matches.  Some of the kids will have been invited to attend Balerno HS.

John Findlay

There was a laddie in the 2008's who did travel up from Dumfries. Mainly brought up by his Grandad.

45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that it's just the optimum range for our natural catchment area. You have to consider travelling times after school for training as well as matches.  Some of the kids will have been invited to attend Balerno HS.

One of the porty age groups have just had 3 boys go to one of the Glasgow clubs and 2 to Motherwell iirc  I’m not sure there’s a restriction on travel limits other than what’s practical in Scotland, do you know?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Hesh said:

One of the porty age groups have just had 3 boys go to one of the Glasgow clubs and 2 to Motherwell iirc  I’m not sure there’s a restriction on travel limits other than what’s practical in Scotland, do you know?

There isn't a limit but I suspect that both Rangers and Celtic will use regional training centres for the youngest ones.

I'd be interested to know what age the Porty lads are as they have been very strong in the U13/U14/U15 age groups over the last few years.  They have generally been reluctant to release their players to pro youth clubs.

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There isn't a limit but I suspect that both Rangers and Celtic will use regional training centres for the youngest ones.

I'd be interested to know what age the Porty lads are as they have been very strong in the U13/U14/U15 age groups over the last few years.  They have generally been reluctant to release their players to pro youth clubs.

Pretty sure they are going to u16 so 06s. Surely they aren’t in a position not to release players, albeit they can discourage them 

A slight aside I know the Rangers have summer camps at the corn exchange which is all a bit 🤮

Edited by Hesh

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Pretty sure they are going to u16 so 06s. Surely they aren’t in a position not to release players, albeit they can discourage them 

A slight aside I know the Rangers have summer camps at the corn exchange which is all a bit 🤮

Their U15s from last season were probably the best squad and could have won the Scottish in the last couple of seasons had it not been for Covid.

Kids want to be winning things so there is an attraction in staying with the boys clubs, so coaches will use that as leverage. Arms can be twisted of course by financial means.

However, where the offer of a pro contract is dangled in a years time, it would make sense for the 06 youngsters to go now. 

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Their U15s from last season were probably the best squad and could have won the Scottish in the last couple of seasons had it not been for Covid.

Kids want to be winning things so there is an attraction in staying with the boys clubs, so coaches will use that as leverage. Arms can be twisted of course by financial means.

However, where the offer of a pro contract is dangled in a years time, it would make sense for the 06 youngsters to go now. 

Agreed, I’m not a big fan of pro youth for younger kids. Far rather kids stayed at BC. When you’re 15/16 maybe that’s different then as that contract you mention is in sight.

I’m sure taking the boys at u16 is a very small risk for the club as I wouldn’t expect much remuneration so it’s a win win for them.

Not sure however going to either of the Glasgow clubs is a good idea however, far less opportunity IMO, up to the other clubs to put a better proposition together. 

Footballfirst
21 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Here is a Hibs scout's report on an U12 game between Hutchie and Leith Athletic in 2003.

Apart from those highlighted by the scout, several others playing that day have managed to play at a decent level.

IMG_20200117_185725.thumb.jpg.b8d93bcaf6386fbcddf4f18e85489578.jpgIMG_20200117_185742.thumb.jpg.1d2220344f7d2b52123d4e50fbed9add.jpg 

Captain Lithuania

Highlights from the Hamilton game are on YouTube. Macauley Tait looks like a decent player judging by the highlights. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Here is a Hibs scout's report on an U12 game between Hutchie and Leith Athletic in 2003.

Apart from those highlighted by the scout, several others playing that day have managed to play at a decent level.

IMG_20200117_185725.thumb.jpg.b8d93bcaf6386fbcddf4f18e85489578.jpgIMG_20200117_185742.thumb.jpg.1d2220344f7d2b52123d4e50fbed9add.jpg 

Couple of familiar names right enough.

On 01/08/2021 at 13:01, Captain Lithuania said:

Highlights from the Hamilton game are on YouTube. Macauley Tait looks like a decent player judging by the highlights. 

I just came on here after coming across the highlights on Youtube, hoping FF might have posted a thread as I wanted to find out who our number 6 was.  Like you, I was impressed by what I saw of him.

@FootballFirst is there anything else you can tell us about this lad, is he one to look out for ?

Footballfirst
15 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I just came on here after coming across the highlights on Youtube, hoping FF might have posted a thread as I wanted to find out who our number 6 was.  Like you, I was impressed by what I saw of him.

@FootballFirst is there anything else you can tell us about this lad, is he one to look out for ?

To my mind he's a skillful centre or left sided midfielder and playmaker, although he has been played a few times at LWB recently.  He is small in stature so, in typical Scottish football stereotyping, he may have prove himself beyond what a bigger lad might have to do.  However, he has a great attitude and work rate, so won't shy away from putting in the hard yards. There aren't many in his age group with a chance of making it, but he is one that could do it.  

The coaching staff obviously rate him as he regularly played up with the U18s.  He won't be 16 until later this month so has plenty time on his side to develop       

Captain Lithuania
13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

To my mind he's a skillful centre or left sided midfielder and playmaker, although he has been played a few times at LWB recently.  He is small in stature so, in typical Scottish football stereotyping, he may have prove himself beyond what a bigger lad might have to do.  However, he has a great attitude and work rate, so won't shy away from putting in the hard yards. There aren't many in his age group with a chance of making it, but he is one that could do it.  

The coaching staff obviously rate him as he regularly played up with the U18s.  He won't be 16 until later this month so has plenty time on his side to develop       

They must really rate him. Obviously it is only U18 but being 15 and having the captaincy is a big thing for him. Hope he does well. 

On 01/08/2021 at 12:55, Footballfirst said:

That's MMs FF got booted from our rivals but his  Heart is still there.

19 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Thanks for that FF.  I'm even more impressed to find out he's not yet turned 16.  As the previous poster observed, he must be highly thought off to be captaining the u18 side at 15.

Footballfirst
On 31/07/2021 at 18:36, Hesh said:

It turns out that Hearts has also signed an U16 (2006) from Portobello CFA.

Edited by Footballfirst

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The world is at his feet. I hope he is the next superstar we are looking for. 

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Any idea which position he plays FF? Is he going to be an Alan McLaren, Davie Bowman or John Robertson?

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Any idea which position he plays FF? Is he going to be an Alan McLaren, Davie Bowman or John Robertson?

Centre Back, I think, at least based on the number 5 on his shorts.

Edited by Footballfirst

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Assume for U16s rather than a pro contract for U18s?

Edited by Hesh

Footballfirst
17 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Assume for U16s rather than a pro contract for U18s?

Can't sign a pro contract until he is 16. He will still be at school and won't be 16 until March 2022.