Jahmal Howlett-Mundle

TommyC

Fort Vallance
12 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'm possibly going against the grain here....

I don't give a monkeys whether someone is gay, straight or anywhere in between.  We're all people, and we are much more than just our particular sexuality.

If I'd been one of Jahmal's team mates, I would have felt obliged to join in with the applause, when in fact I wouldn't have cared a jot about his sexuality.  I would actually be a bit annoyed that Jahmal had put me in that position.

To reiterate, I have nothing against any individual or group of individuals based on sexuality, or any other aspect of them.  I just don't hold with the trend of defining someone by their sexuality, so why should I be put in the position of having to choose whether to applaud or to appear prejudiced?

My thoughts as well.

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

I think a lot of society is missing the point.

The point should be that he is just a normal bloke, and his sexuality makes no difference to this.  He was a normal bloke before making his announcement, and he remained a normal bloke after it.

"Coming out", to me, is akin to someone admitting to something that's to be ashamed of.  I believe that someone's sexuality is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, and absolutely nothing to do with how other people should treat them.  So why is there even a need to "come out"?

I referred to my brothers in an earlier post.  Neither of them saw the need to formally "come out", they just live their lives in the same way that "straight" people just live their lives. 

One day we might have true equality.  When that day arrives, nobody will "come out", because it simply won't matter to anyone else.

Which is the exact reason this is important.

You are presenting yourself as a beacon on liberty but it's coming across like you are unhappy with the reaction the video is getting. 

Well done to Jahmal, I can't imagine coming out publicly as an athlete is an easy thing to do.

For some context, I think Justin Fashanu playing for us in this match, 28 years, ago is the last time a publicly gay or bisexual man played in a top league in Europe.

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, TommyC said:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/07/29/bisexual-jahmal-howlett-mundle/

Former Hearts U20 player Jahmal Howlett-Mundle has come out to teammates as bisexual.

No doubt there will be the normal "keep that to yourself" comments underneath, but this is good news for achieving equality in the game. He's obviously no way near a top player but if there are gay or bisexual players playing in the system, if they feel comfortable being out, it's only a good thing for equality in football and providing role models for young gay/bisexuality people who feel they don't have any role models in football and therefore turn away from the game.

Well done Jahmal! 👏

Good for him. 

davemclaren

It’s amazing how politicised sexual/gender oriention and race is, but maybe not. 

Speaking as an apparent lefty woke person that is. 

11 hours ago, Tenor said:

I was desperately hoping to see a response like this.

You’re absolutely :spoton:

By saying “I don’t care”, that person is actively stating they don’t support gay rights.

And I find it disturbing that people would accuse this lad of putting them “in a position” by having the courage to finally be honest about who he is.

As to your “colour/race card” point, it’s a very interesting comparison. Being “colourblind” doesn’t acknowledge the way in which racism has existed and continues to exist, both in individuals and systematically.

By claiming not to see race (or homosexuality), you’re simply ignoring it, not solving it.

Exactly.

You'd hope most people would be able to dig a bit deeper and understand this, but clearly not.

4 hours ago, McCrae said:

This

If you don't understand, then go and educate yourself.

There are a number of posts on this thread that explains it all pretty clearly, but if that doesn't work do some reading online.

The "I don't get it" or "what's the big deal" response offers nothing to the discussion. In fact, it either makes you and others look like closet homophobes, or that you are simply too stubborn to change your way of thinking. 

50 minutes ago, saxondale said:

There are a number of posts on this thread that explains it all pretty clearly, but if that doesn't work do some reading online.

The "I don't get it" or "what's the big deal" response offers nothing to the discussion. In fact, it either makes you and others look like closet homophobes, or that you are simply too stubborn to change your way of thinking. 

My friend, to some, it’s no big deal. To you it obviously is. Which I respect.  I won’t tell you to educate yourself because you have your opinion and you’re perfectly entitled to this. Educated or not. Some people go through life not giving a monkeys whether you’re black white pink purple gay straight fat thin. Don’t try to rewrite the rule book for other people. They simply don’t see this as something to lose their shit about. I’m one of these people. Happy Friday 👍🏻

53 minutes ago, saxondale said:

If anything this response highlights your own prejudices. 

1 minute ago, ShedBoy said:

My friend, to some, it’s no big deal. To you it obviously is. Which I respect.  I won’t tell you to educate yourself because you have your opinion and you’re perfectly entitled to this. Educated or not. Some people go through life not giving a monkeys whether you’re black white pink purple gay straight fat thin. Don’t try to rewrite the rule book for other people. They simply don’t see this as something to lose their shit about. I’m one of these people. Happy Friday 👍🏻

This.

21 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'm possibly going against the grain here....

I don't give a monkeys whether someone is gay, straight or anywhere in between.  We're all people, and we are much more than just our particular sexuality.

If I'd been one of Jahmal's team mates, I would have felt obliged to join in with the applause, when in fact I wouldn't have cared a jot about his sexuality.  I would actually be a bit annoyed that Jahmal had put me in that position.

To reiterate, I have nothing against any individual or group of individuals based on sexuality, or any other aspect of them.  I just don't hold with the trend of defining someone by their sexuality, so why should I be put in the position of having to choose whether to applaud or to appear prejudiced?

Fair enough but you can surely empathise with how difficult a decision this would've been for him & offer your support that way? 

Edited by iainmac

12 hours ago, saxondale said:

Exactly.

You'd hope most people would be able to dig a bit deeper and understand this, but clearly not.

I don't understand it, mate. I'm genuinely shocked at the level of ignorance and homophobia on this forum. I expected better.

11 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

I don't know you, but I'm guessing from your response that you've never had to deal with the inequality, prejudice, violence (I could go on) that black people, or those in the LGBT+ community have had to face every day of their lives.

Therefore, it's easy for you to ignore the issues and say "I don't care". Wouldn't you rather show a bit of empathy and support when these people take a stand against the wrongs they face?

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Tenor said:

I don't know you, but I'm guessing from your response that you've never had to deal with the inequality, prejudice, violence (I could go on) that black people, or those in the LGBT+ community have had to face every day of their lives.

Therefore, it's easy for you to ignore the issues and say "I don't care". Wouldn't you rather show a bit of empathy and support when these people take a stand against the wrongs they face?

Another one :gok:

Unknown user

I got a dog recently.

The world doesn't care, why would it?

But people that know me also know it's a really big deal in my life, I've wanted pets again for many years and not been able to do it.

My friends and family are pleased for me, not because I got a dog, but because it means a lot to me.

16 hours ago, McCrae said:

If anything this response highlights your own prejudices. 

You've proven my point really.

16 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Happy Saturday. Mon the Hearts.

3 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Another one :gok:

You’re only making yourself look like an idiot.

I suggest you grow up.

1 hour ago, saxondale said:

You've proven my point really.

Your making gross assumptions based of your own prejudices and cannot accept that an alternative view to yours is acceptable .  Your intolerance of other views is the foundation from which discrimination and hate is built upon.  In your own words you need to “educate yourself”.

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Tenor said:

You’re only making yourself look like an idiot.

I suggest you grow up.

:muggy:

On 29/07/2021 at 22:01, GinRummy said:

Good on him. Be yourself and be proud of it. In a few years time this sort of story won’t be news. 

Where I am. If other players or fans can’t deal with it it’s their problem not yours. You are who you are. Be good to yourself and others. Job’s a good un?

On 29/07/2021 at 23:20, tian447 said:

Fair enough, and fair play for him to feel brave enough to come out and say it.

As much as we are more tolerant as a society, there are plenty of people in the stands who will still see this sort of thing as an issue, and make intolerant and downright disgusting comments about it.  There will no doubt be some on here. 

The more players who feel like they can be comfortable with saying things about themselves like this, the more the stigma that there clearly still is around these (and I hate to use the word) issues will start to evaporate.

There is no way to really measure just how much these sort of actions affect other people who maybe don't feel as confident, or understand themselves fully, but it can only be a good thing. 

Spot on and well put.

I’d imagine there are and have been numerous top footballers who’ve been gay or bisexual but not been comfortable to be themselves with teammates/supporters.

Certainly for my daughters generation (90’s kids) things are, thankfully very different to mine (60’s)

tokyowalnut

This place is great. Someone comparing the anxiety and stress of ‘coming out’ to telling someone what their shoe size is 🙈

Good on the lad, wouldn’t have been an easy decision to make. 

Probably like most I thought this was going to be about a potential signing 😂

It's a strange world we live in when not caring about someone else's sexuality makes you a prejudiced bigot!

JudyJudyJudy
On 29/07/2021 at 21:08, TommyC said:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/07/29/bisexual-jahmal-howlett-mundle/

Former Hearts U20 player Jahmal Howlett-Mundle has come out to teammates as bisexual.

No doubt there will be the normal "keep that to yourself" comments underneath, but this is good news for achieving equality in the game. He's obviously no way near a top player but if there are gay or bisexual players playing in the system, if they feel comfortable being out, it's only a good thing for equality in football and providing role models for young gay/bisexuality people who feel they don't have any role models in football and therefore turn away from the game.

Well done Jahmal! 👏

👍

On 29/07/2021 at 22:09, Kiwidoug said:

Open and inclusive.  Only way to be. Our new signing would have been a novelty 30 years ago and probably subject to abuse.  Other than morons and right wing Americans, few people are openly prejudiced these days in my experience.

I know a small number of closet ones though who are pretty much prejudiced against anyone who's not white and straight.  More to be pitied than laughed at.

👍

On 29/07/2021 at 22:17, BarneyBattles said:

To those who are indifferent, couldn’t care less, each to their own etc. 

Good on you. That’s exactly the way we should all think. 

The problem is is that’s not the way we all think which is why it’s really important that people speak out so that eventually sexuality won’t be an issue and we can all genuinely not give a toss. 

👍

On 29/07/2021 at 22:49, sassenach said:

Please don't insult me by accusing me of "playing a card".

If a person's sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of, why make a big deal of "coming out" as if they've had to admit to something?  They're just a normal person.

Two of my brothers happen to be gay, by the way, so I definitely do know what I'm talking about.

It’s homophobia in society which makes it’s a big deal for some people to come out. Good on the player 

On 29/07/2021 at 22:56, saxondale said:

For your second paragraph, I’ve answered that already.

You clearly still have a lot to understand, regardless of your brothers sexuality.

👍👍

On 29/07/2021 at 23:37, Cruyff said:

It shouldn't matter in this day and age but clearly there is still a bit of stigma surrounding homosexuality in football. Some players still feel the need to hide it, maybe not so much from their team mates these days but from the media and public. Folk are still racist towards black players ffs, imagine the abuse players would get from the terraces if the media and public found out they were gay. That could ruin a person. 

For that reason, it is relevant. There will be young guys out there that can't live a free and happy normal life because they still feel they need to keep their sexuality a secret. That's no way to live imo. Good on Jahmal and good luck to him. 

Good posting . 

On 30/07/2021 at 09:14, Smithee said:

I'm not asking why you wouldn't applaud, do what you like, stand there with your arms folded and a scowl if you want.

I'm asking why he should have to change his perfectly legal behaviour because of something YOU'RE not comfortable with.

It's 100% your problem, not his, all he's doing is telling his mates something that's important to him.

Well said . 

12 hours ago, Tenor said:

I don't understand it, mate. I'm genuinely shocked at the level of ignorance and homophobia on this forum. I expected better.

There is an undercurrent at times in the forum regarding lgbt but I have found most posters have been forward thinking , empathic and tolerant of others . 

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

I got a dog recently.

The world doesn't care, why would it?

But people that know me also know it's a really big deal in my life, I've wanted pets again for many years and not been able to do it.

My friends and family are pleased for me, not because I got a dog, but because it means a lot to me.

Good analogy 

7 hours ago, McCrae said:

Your making gross assumptions based of your own prejudices and cannot accept that an alternative view to yours is acceptable .  Your intolerance of other views is the foundation from which discrimination and hate is built upon.  In your own words you need to “educate yourself”.

Prove me wrong or argue the point in hand, rather than deflect.

• 1 month later...
jamboinglasgow

Good interview with him in the Athletic. Briefly talks about his time at Hearts, he regrets not realising how big an oppourtunity it was and says that Robbie, Stevie Crawford and Jack Ross were fantastic and gave him all the support which he didn't appreciate how much support he was given till he played non-league.