Jahmal Howlett-Mundle

TommyC

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/07/29/bisexual-jahmal-howlett-mundle/

Former Hearts U20 player Jahmal Howlett-Mundle has come out to teammates as bisexual.

No doubt there will be the normal "keep that to yourself" comments underneath, but this is good news for achieving equality in the game. He's obviously no way near a top player but if there are gay or bisexual players playing in the system, if they feel comfortable being out, it's only a good thing for equality in football and providing role models for young gay/bisexuality people who feel they don't have any role models in football and therefore turn away from the game.

Well done Jahmal! 👏

David Black

Well done son. There's a good story on Coronation Street just now about a young black and gay footballer. It's panning out to be a good story line amongst all the dross.

David Black
Just now, Four faces said:

I couldn't be Bisexual.Getting turned down with the one sex is hard enough to take.

I'm sure there must be a "hard enough" joke in there somewhere.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Four faces said:

I couldn't be Bisexual.Getting turned down with the one sex is hard enough to take.

:lol:

9 minutes ago, maggieb said:

The pink news has definitely changed over the years, I’m of an age I suppose, good luck lad 👏🏻

😄 indeed!

Fair play to the guy.  Shouldn't be an issue anyway but the abuse that some idiots dish out makes this kind of publicity positive.

Good lad, I'm bisexual as well and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

If I can't sex I bi it.

17 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm possibly going against the grain here....

I don't give a monkeys whether someone is gay, straight or anywhere in between.  We're all people, and we are much more than just our particular sexuality.

If I'd been one of Jahmal's team mates, I would have felt obliged to join in with the applause, when in fact I wouldn't have cared a jot about his sexuality.  I would actually be a bit annoyed that Jahmal had put me in that position.

To reiterate, I have nothing against any individual or group of individuals based on sexuality, or any other aspect of them.  I just don't hold with the trend of defining someone by their sexuality, so why should I be put in the position of having to choose whether to applaud or to appear prejudiced?

I'm with you on this one aswell, I couldn't care less what sexual orientation someone is, they are who they are and I for one won't treat them any differently to anyone else. Each to their own and that's the way it should be

Open and inclusive.  Only way to be. Our new signing would have been a novelty 30 years ago and probably subject to abuse.  Other than morons and right wing Americans, few people are openly prejudiced these days in my experience.

I know a small number of closet ones though who are pretty much prejudiced against anyone who's not white and straight.  More to be pitied than laughed at.

24 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I don't give a monkeys whether someone is gay, straight or anywhere in between.  We're all people, and we are much more than just our particular sexuality.

If I'd been one of Jahmal's team mates, I would have felt obliged to join in with the applause, when in fact I wouldn't have cared a jot about his sexuality.  I would actually be a bit annoyed that Jahmal had put me in that position.

To reiterate, I have nothing against any individual or group of individuals based on sexuality, or any other aspect of them.  I just don't hold with the trend of defining someone by their sexuality, so why should I be put in the position of having to choose whether to applaud or to appear prejudiced?

My thoughts were as indifferent as yours. Saw the headline and thought we'd signed a new player.

If the media stops making these things news it'll be better for everybody.

56 minutes ago, Four faces said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

35 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Probably because being heterosexual is the norm, so by coming "out" he's just saying that's who I am. I doubt it's a "look at me" statement, but if he's in an environment where being different may be an issue (as he may perceive it, but if everyone thought like you it isn't an issue) then it's just him putting his cards on the table.

In other words, the lad has probably been internally tormented and worried about it, so by vocalising it he's lifted a burden from himself. 

If a team mate felt that put them in a position then I'd say their priorities are off kilter.

Unknown user
43 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Why shouldn't you?

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Boris said:

Probably because being heterosexual is the norm, so by coming "out" he's just saying that's who I am. I doubt it's a "look at me" statement, but if he's in an environment where being different may be an issue (as he may perceive it, but if everyone thought like you it isn't an issue) then it's just him putting his cards on the table.

In other words, the lad has probably been internally tormented and worried about it, so by vocalising it he's lifted a burden from himself. 

If a team mate felt that put them in a position then I'd say their priorities are off kilter.

Exactly. 

Good for him and good luck to him, brave imo.

Last year we saw a player quit the game due to abuse about his mental health/suicide attempt. Seems nothing is out of bounds and people will stoop to very low levels just to get a reaction from someone.

45 minutes ago, sassenach said:

This the equivalent of someone saying ‘I don’t see colour’, when talking about race.

I’m sure you don’t mean to sound so ignorant, but that’s how it is coming across.

This has nothing to do with being defined by sexuality. It is about normalising and showing support to a person or group of people who have either been ridiculed, abused or even assaulted for simply being gay.

Playing the ‘you shouldn’t be defined by sexuality’ or similarly ‘I don’t see colour/race’ card is essentially avoiding the issue as if it didn’t exist.

You may not have personally made a group of people suffer in their life for who they are, but lots have and still do. So it’s important that something like this is made a big deal in order to, like I said, normalise it in order to weed out those that do spread hate.

I’m also not sure how anyone would be ‘annoyed’ that Jahmal would put them in the horrendous position of clapping for 30 seconds and showing support on one occasion.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Because I don't believe he's done anything particularly worthy of applause, that's why.

As I said, I don't believe a person's sexuality defines them, any more than their shoe size, for example.  I wouldn't expect a round of applause for telling my team mates that I wear a size 9 boot.  So why would sexuality be worthy of applause?  However, if I failed to join in with the applause I'd be seen as prejudiced, when in fact the exact opposite is the case.

Why is it his problem that you can't deal with a situation you find awkward though?

It's your problem, not his. There's nothing wrong with what he's done - it's perfectly legal, all he's done is reveal something deeply personal that he's kept secret to team mates who care about him.

Why should he have to stop and think "Wait a minute, what about that guy's feelings?"

4 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Please don't insult me by accusing me of "playing a card".

If a person's sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of, why make a big deal of "coming out" as if they've had to admit to something?  They're just a normal person.

Two of my brothers happen to be gay, by the way, so I definitely do know what I'm talking about.

For your second paragraph, I’ve answered that already.

You clearly still have a lot to understand, regardless of your brothers sexuality.

6 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Never heard of him. 

Even if I had I could not care less. 

Strange that you feel compelled to comment on a thread about it.

Who gives a flying #$%@

Let's move on to football, what players choose to be is up to them, do the business on the park

Regal Kingston

Well done Jahmal. Couldn’t have been easy and he didn’t have to do it. 

Any action to make the path of current or future gay or bisexual players easier  is worthwhile. Football should not be weakened by prejudice 

I get the posters comments saying it’s not relevant. It shouldn’t be but we are not there yet and need these guys to stand up and say it’s OK to be gay/bisexual and play football until a time when it’s not an issue. 

Fair enough, and fair play for him to feel brave enough to come out and say it.

As much as we are more tolerant as a society, there are plenty of people in the stands who will still see this sort of thing as an issue, and make intolerant and downright disgusting comments about it.  There will no doubt be some on here. 

The more players who feel like they can be comfortable with saying things about themselves like this, the more the stigma that there clearly still is around these (and I hate to use the word) issues will start to evaporate.

There is no way to really measure just how much these sort of actions affect other people who maybe don't feel as confident, or understand themselves fully, but it can only be a good thing. 

Edited by tian447

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

To those who are indifferent, couldn’t care less, each to their own etc. 

Good on you. That’s exactly the way we should all think. 

The problem is is that’s not the way we all think which is why it’s really important that people speak out so that eventually sexuality won’t be an issue and we can all genuinely not give a toss. 

1 hour ago, Boris said:

These guys get it

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Regal Kingston said:

Well done Jahmal. Couldn’t have been easy and he didn’t have to do it. 

Any action to make the path of current or future gay or bisexual players easier  is worthwhile. Football should not be weakened by prejudice 

I get the posters comments saying it’s not relevant. It shouldn’t be but we are not there yet and need these guys to stand up and say it’s OK to be gay/bisexual and play football until a time when it’s not an issue. 

Exactly, a young gay footballer sees no openly gay footballer in any major league and will question if they are alone in being that way. So they keep it quiet, from team mates and others. Seeing another player come out and say I am gay/bisexual and its ok to be that makes a big difference. I understand people going why is this even covered, but to be honest, you are not the target audience for this story, so you can ignore it but doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered.

It shouldn't matter in this day and age but clearly there is still a bit of stigma surrounding homosexuality in football. Some players still feel the need to hide it, maybe not so much from their team mates these days but from the media and public. Folk are still racist towards black players ffs, imagine the abuse players would get from the terraces if the media and public found out they were gay. That could ruin a person. 

For that reason, it is relevant. There will be young guys out there that can't live a free and happy normal life because they still feel they need to keep their sexuality a secret. That's no way to live imo. Good on Jahmal and good luck to him. 

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

To those who are indifferent, couldn’t care less, each to their own etc. 

Good on you. That’s exactly the way we should all think. 

The problem is is that’s not the way we all think which is why it’s really important that people speak out so that eventually sexuality won’t be an issue and we can all genuinely not give a toss. 

Unfortunate last sentence!

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I don't particularly care about any specific persons sexuality either. But I can recognise that it would be difficult in many situations in life to do what he done in that video. Because not everybody feels the same as me and you. He's opening himself up to vulnerable situations. People come out so they can be themselves in front of others and to help others who are 'stuck in the closet' to feel confident enough to do the same. 

If you think they are applauding him because he likes to sleep with guys then you are missing the point.

Edited by hughesie27

Why do people feel so desperate to share which genders genitals they prefer touching? Nobody cares son. Strong and brave though. Equality from elitists? Sportsmen are strange.

7 hours ago, saxondale said:

This the equivalent of someone saying ‘I don’t see colour’, when talking about race.

I’m sure you don’t mean to sound so ignorant, but that’s how it is coming across.

This has nothing to do with being defined by sexuality. It is about normalising and showing support to a person or group of people who have either been ridiculed, abused or even assaulted for simply being gay.

Playing the ‘you shouldn’t be defined by sexuality’ or similarly ‘I don’t see colour/race’ card is essentially avoiding the issue as if it didn’t exist.

You may not have personally made a group of people suffer in their life for who they are, but lots have and still do. So it’s important that something like this is made a big deal in order to, like I said, normalise it in order to weed out those that do spread hate.

I’m also not sure how anyone would be ‘annoyed’ that Jahmal would put them in the horrendous position of clapping for 30 seconds and showing support on one occasion.

I was desperately hoping to see a response like this.

You’re absolutely :spoton:

By saying “I don’t care”, that person is actively stating they don’t support gay rights.

And I find it disturbing that people would accuse this lad of putting them “in a position” by having the courage to finally be honest about who he is.

As to your “colour/race card” point, it’s a very interesting comparison. Being “colourblind” doesn’t acknowledge the way in which racism has existed and continues to exist, both in individuals and systematically.

By claiming not to see race (or homosexuality), you’re simply ignoring it, not solving it.

1 hour ago, Tenor said:

By saying “I don’t care”, that person is actively stating they don’t support gay rights.

And I find it disturbing that people would accuse this lad of putting them “in a position” by having the courage to finally be honest about who he is.

As to your “colour/race card” point, it’s a very interesting comparison. Being “colourblind” doesn’t acknowledge the way in which racism has existed and continues to exist, both in individuals and systematically.

By claiming not to see race (or homosexuality), you’re simply ignoring it, not solving it.

So in short you’re telling people they should be offended, by something they aren’t offended by?

How lefty woke is that?

Edited by ShedBoy

Good for him. 

Hopefully we’ll get to the point where being gay/bi isn’t a big thing. Takes bottle to do still sadly. Hope he has a good career. 

1 hour ago, Tenor said:

What a load of woke nonsense.

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Tenor said:

:gok:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Why we all cant live and let live within the law is beyond me. Far easier to live your life with a smile on your face

Unknown user
10 hours ago, sassenach said:

Because I don't believe he's done anything particularly worthy of applause, that's why.

As I said, I don't believe a person's sexuality defines them, any more than their shoe size, for example.  I wouldn't expect a round of applause for telling my team mates that I wear a size 9 boot.  So why would sexuality be worthy of applause?  However, if I failed to join in with the applause I'd be seen as prejudiced, when in fact the exact opposite is the case.

I'm not asking why you wouldn't applaud, do what you like, stand there with your arms folded and a scowl if you want.

I'm asking why he should have to change his perfectly legal behaviour because of something YOU'RE not comfortable with.

It's 100% your problem, not his, all he's doing is telling his mates something that's important to him.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 hours ago, TommyC said:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/07/29/bisexual-jahmal-howlett-mundle/

Former Hearts U20 player Jahmal Howlett-Mundle has come out to teammates as bisexual.

No doubt there will be the normal "keep that to yourself" comments underneath, but this is good news for achieving equality in the game. He's obviously no way near a top player but if there are gay or bisexual players playing in the system, if they feel comfortable being out, it's only a good thing for equality in football and providing role models for young gay/bisexuality people who feel they don't have any role models in football and therefore turn away from the game.

Well done Jahmal! 👏

I always thought his name sounded like a type of World War One tank