The Buses are Maroon and White

Howdy Doody Jambo

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think the horses, or carts would be maroon but I’m willing to be proved wrong. 

Here is an Edinburgh horse pulled tram from 1871. It has been restored so hard to say what it’s original colour was. Unfortunately not maroon now.  

There were a number of horse drawn tram/bus companies operating in Edinburgh at that time. One of them might have been maroon, perhaps where LB got their colour from. 

D33C9D58-658B-4129-B622-24AB8AC82971.jpeg

Interesting theory in this thread about the buses originally being football specials painted maroon for easy identification. 

andythejambo
On 29/07/2021 at 14:02, been here before said:

Why are the buses maroon and white?

Its surely nothing to do with the football colours.

It could be actually. When the old trams were running, around the 1930's, the club paid for additional trams to cater for the large number of supporters heading to the game. These trams were painted Maroon and White as opposed to the Edinburgh Corporation Transport colours of black and white, to help fans recognise the "football specials". Eventually, after the war, ECT then adopted the colours for the whole trams fleet, as well as the new double deck bus fleet. Their single deck buses and coaches remained black and white into the 1960's. My dad worked for over 30 years with ECT / LRT and was told this story by one of the livery painters at the Central Garage. The actual original colours were called "Madder" and and off white, with a thin gold coach line.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, sum31uk said:

Here is an Edinburgh horse pulled tram from 1871. It has been restored so hard to say what it’s original colour was. Unfortunately not maroon now.  

There were a number of horse drawn tram/bus companies operating in Edinburgh at that time. One of them might have been maroon, perhaps where LB got their colour from. 

Black was usually the colour of things back then but you never know. 

1 hour ago, sum31uk said:

“Where’s the harness …. let’s go ..

7E9F888F-D5DF-4E0E-9EEE-FFAD8455E5F1.png

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think the horses, or carts would be maroon but I’m willing to be proved wrong. 

Never say ‘nay’ 😉 

Berra than you
3 hours ago, trotter said:

The difference is that double yellows allow disabled parking/stopping and loading/unloading to happen, double reds prohibit any vehicle stopping for any reason (other than an emergency).

Weird that they are there though. Could be due to the relatively narrow nature of Gorgie Road. 

Always wondered about that, so thanks for confirming 👍

Howdy Doody Jambo
5 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I wonder if any Hobo refuses to get on a Lothian bus because of the wonderful colours?

😂 Another one another one when's the Eastern Scottish due