Levein Shouldering the Blame and wishing Souttar the best for new season!

a11ank

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Seems typical Levein though - he must know  he's fecked most things up since 2017, but still wants to offload some blame on to McPhee & Stendel for it.  

The do shoulder some blame, especially Stendel. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Dagger Is Back

• Bazzas right boot

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Wonderful player and would undoubtedly have become a top class player for a far bigger club than us.

This last episode of him being in charge though has left a very sour taste. Some utterly bizarre decisions and left our club in a real mess both on/off the park.

The mans got balls of steel to have made such a dogs breakfast of our club and to be still whoring himself out to the media, and pretending he’s some authority on all things football.

Excellent post.

Never bothered reading it. Don’t particularly mind him as a pundit but I’ll welcome the day he’s done talking about his last spell with us, or at least mentions it less. 

Edited by GinRummy

John Findlay
35 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Wonderful player and would undoubtedly have become a top class player for a far bigger club than us.

This last episode of him being in charge though has left a very sour taste. Some utterly bizarre decisions and left our club in a real mess both on/off the park.

The mans got balls of steel to have made such a dogs breakfast of our club and to be still whoring himself out to the media, and pretending he’s some authority on all things football.

He is as much an authority as any other pundit employed by TV stations, radio stations and newspapers here in Scotland. Which range from Willie Millar to Shelley Kerr.

Pasquale for King

I’m not sure if him finally “some” of the blame is “shouldering” responsibility. About 90% his fault and 10% the person who hired him and gave him such a free reign for far too long. 

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

He is as much an authority as any other pundit employed by TV stations, radio stations and newspapers here in Scotland. Which range from Willie Millar to Shelley Kerr.

Tbh, that’s why I don’t mind him as a pundit. You can add Pat Bonnar, Chris Sutton, Billy Dodds, Mikey Stewart, Kris Boyd and many more to the utter diddies we have to put up with. I wanted Levein gone from Hearts and he’s gone. Don’t mind him landing a media gig. 

Dagger Is Back
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I rest my case m'lud. It's hardly a very high bar is it John? As far as I'm aware WM didn't make such a pigs ear of it at Aberdeen that he tarnished his legend status to quite such a degree. We were asked to put our trust in CL after a Herculean effort on the part of thousands to save our club which we did and he failed miserably to repay that trust in my eyes. 

He should STFU re Hearts. The path we've taken to be where we are today was laid by him and facilitated by AB and her Board

4 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Levein can **** off ! 

This. If there was ever anyone who struggles with blame or responsibility it was that loser :lol:

Seriously wish he had nothing to do with us.

5 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

I liked his closing remark 'If you don't get results, you get stick - that's one thing she quickly learned about football. I blame her managers..."

He's a funny man is big Craig. I wish it could have worked out for him, he's a PHM and I bear no ill-will

PHM?? No he’s a PRM…..as he confirmed himself on radio last week!

It's good that Levein feels able to joke about his calamitous tenure, all the club's money that he wasted might weigh heavily on the conscious of a lesser man, but not oor Craigie.

Good times.

John Findlay
39 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I rest my case m'lud. It's hardly a very high bar is it John? As far as I'm aware WM didn't make such a pigs ear of it at Aberdeen that he tarnished his legend status to quite such a degree. We were asked to put our trust in CL after a Herculean effort on the part of thousands to save our club which we did and he failed miserably to repay that trust in my eyes. 

He should STFU re Hearts. The path we've taken to be where we are today was laid by him and facilitated by AB and her Board

As you know I am old school. I therefore blame players as much as I do management and others.  For me far to much focus on managers/ coached nowadays. Players get off Scot free imho.

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

It's good that Levein feels able to joke about his calamitous tenure, all the club's money that he wasted might weigh heavily on the conscious of a lesser man, but not oor Craigie.

Good times.

The facts.

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

As you know I am old school. I therefore blame players as much as I do management and others.  For me far to much focus on managers/ coached nowadays. Players get off Scot free imho.

I hear you John. Absolutely no doubt that there were many players who needed to take a good long look at themselves

John Findlay
Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

I hear you John. Absolutely no doubt that there were many players who needed to take a good long look at themselves

👍

Psychedelicropcircle

Never shoulders the blame 

so Craig 4-6-0 ?

spain won a championship playing this way 

😟

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not sure if him finally “some” of the blame is “shouldering” responsibility. About 90% his fault and 10% the person who hired him and gave him such a free reign for far too long. 

Even the most anti-Levein person has to admit he was turning the ship around following the Cathro disaster (which was also his fault in large part). We got back on track in cups and derbies in 17/18 while steadying league form, then recruited well and started 18/19 brilliantly. Who knows how different things could have been if the injuries hadn't hit so hard, not to mention his heart attack.

In terms of fault at ending up where we did, overall I'd go with 30% Levein, 30% Budge, 30% the injuries in 18/19 and 19/20.  Cathro and Stendel deserve a lot of blame as well. Ok Levein and Budge appointed one or both of them but they did terrible jobs, despite being backed with cash. 

Without the injuries I think we'd still have finished with a couple of 4ths and 5ths (which still would have led to a lot of criticism given the stick Neilson took for finishing 3rd) unless we really could keep up the momentum in 18/19. And we maybe could have finally got a league cup win as well as we went into that semi with Celtic in buoyant mood.

The personal attacks on Levein were a disgrace though, same as with Neilson. That's why I always stick up for him, especially when the "no medals" chat starts. Any Hearts fan who comes out with that is no Hearts fan.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Randy Marsh
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Even the most anti-Levein person has to admit he was turning the ship around following the Cathro disaster (which was also his fault in large part). We got back on track in cups and derbies in 17/18 while steadying league form, then recruited well and started 18/19 brilliantly. Who knows how different things could have been if the injuries hadn't hit so hard, not to mention his heart attack.

In terms of fault at ending up where we did, overall I'd go with 30% Levein, 30% Budge, 30% the injuries in 18/19 and 19/20.  Cathro and Stendel deserve a lot of blame as well. Ok Levein and Budge appointed one or both of them but they did terrible jobs, despite being backed with cash. 

Without the injuries I think we'd still have finished with a couple of 4ths and 5ths (which still would have led to a lot of criticism given the stick Neilson took for finishing 3rd) unless we really could keep up the momentum in 18/19. And we maybe could have finally got a league cup win as well as we went into that semi with Celtic in buoyant mood.

The personal attacks on Levein were a disgrace though, same as with Neilson. That's why I always stick up for him, especially when the "no medals" chat starts. Any Hearts fan who comes out with that is no Hearts fan.

When you say 'personal attacks', do you mean folk on a Hearts forum just discussing them?   Not sure it's been mentioned yet but Levein is an absolute prick of a man and a loser also.   We probably won't fully recover from the damage he has done until the start of next season.

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Good, balanced post with a lot more perspective than many. I remember his first game back in charge against Aberdeen at Murrayfield. We drew 0-0 but should have won the game comfortably. I remember thinking how great it was to have a proper manager again. It was like night and day compared with Cathro's team - although it must be said that Levein's decision to appoint Cathro in the first place displayed very poor judgment.

My own impression is that the heart issue took a lot more out of Levein than anyone - possibly including himself - realised at the time. Certainly on the field things never seemed to be the same after that.

You're also correct about Stendel escaping a lot of blame. It may be the case that given time he could have been a decent manger. But we didn't have time - we needed results, fast and his tactics at times were very naive. Apart from Boyce, his signings were poor as well.   

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

He's talking about joining Leicester in 2004(?)...the very definition of a provincial club...which Hearts aren't.

He's every right to do so, but looking to leave for over a year isn't what I'd expect a PHM to be doing and highlights why he was quite happy to walk out on us when he did. All credit to him for furthering his career though, I'd do the same in his shoes...just not at Hearts. The provincial stuff was just needlessly disrespectful given its not actually true though.

You’ve got to remember the time in our history. Reducing squad budget every year. Selling Tynecastle. Romanov starting to come on the scene.

There is some context in there 

He had just become the first Scottish manager to get a Scottish club to qualify in the Europa group stages but a load of uncertainty surrounded the club.

Guest ToqueJambo
28 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

When you say 'personal attacks', do you mean folk on a Hearts forum just discussing them?   Not sure it's been mentioned yet but Levein is an absolute prick of a man and a loser also.   We probably won't fully recover from the damage he has done until the start of next season.

No I mean the personal attacks, like you just did.

51 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You’ve got to remember the time in our history. Reducing squad budget every year. Selling Tynecastle. Romanov starting to come on the scene.

There is some context in there 

He had just become the first Scottish manager to get a Scottish club to qualify in the Europa group stages but a load of uncertainty surrounded the club.

As I say, I don't blame him, he felt it was the right move, totally his prerogative. However as a Hearts man, I'd want to manage us in the group stages of the Europa League rather than manage a 2nd tier English club. No amount of context makes Hearts a provincial club, that's just an unnecessary cheap shot for no real reason as far as I can tell.

The bit about Anderson excites me a lot. 

I can't help but think we've been run so poorly over the years (I'm talking literal decades) that we've never realised our potential. I'm not pretending we'd be up at 40 or 50 thousand. But a club in a city of 400k drawing fans in from the rest of the Lothains, Fife and Borders should be able to manage 30k if run properly. Obviously stadium size is a limiting factor there, but perhaps we can relocate in the future if demand allows it. 

My hope is over the coming years we'll begin to realise that potential. More fans ultimately means more money and better players. 

Maroon Sailor

Should have walked away after the 19 final - I think everybody agreed on that but his stubborness and her pals act made it the most inevitable mistake you could see coming.

No need to use hindsight on that one xmt Mrs Budge

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The do shoulder some blame, especially Stendel. 

CL was manager for over 2 years. Stendel was manager for 3 months.   McPhee was manager for 6 weeks.

Stendel's signings were 50% good, 50% duds.    Were CL's good signings as much as 50% ?

More than that though, it was CL who set the wage policy of high basic & low bonus - allied to generally poor identification of signing targets, it's not a great legacy he's left us with.  It's such a shame, because he was a great asset to the club as a player & rookie manager first time round.  

2 hours ago, OTT said:

The bit about Anderson excites me a lot. 

I can't help but think we've been run so poorly over the years (I'm talking literal decades) that we've never realised our potential. I'm not pretending we'd be up at 40 or 50 thousand. But a club in a city of 400k drawing fans in from the rest of the Lothains, Fife and Borders should be able to manage 30k if run properly. Obviously stadium size is a limiting factor there, but perhaps we can relocate in the future if demand allows it. 

My hope is over the coming years we'll begin to realise that potential. More fans ultimately means more money and better players. 

hearts_stadium_night_view_heartsfc_310807.jpg

hearts_stadium_from_pitch_heartsfc_310807.jpg

_44068910_stadiumplan203.jpg

hearts_stadium_hmfc230108_2.jpg

Edited by Bongo 1874

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

CL was manager for over 2 years. Stendel was manager for 3 months.   McPhee was manager for 6 weeks.

Stendel's signings were 50% good, 50% duds.    Were CL's good signings as much as 50% ?

More than that though, it was CL who set the wage policy of high basic & low bonus - allied to generally poor identification of signing targets, it's not a great legacy he's left us with.  It's such a shame, because he was a great asset to the club as a player & rookie manager first time round.  

As I said, they do shoulder some of the blame. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Stendel played the worst goalie in our recent history despite it being obvious he was useless. Stendel also played the most naive tactics despite realising the defence couldnt cope with playing high.

Had he sorted either out earlier we would not have been relegated.

So i think its more than fair he takes some blame. I think he admitted he didnt change tactics quick enough recently himself.

9 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

hearts_stadium_night_view_heartsfc_310807.jpg

hearts_stadium_from_pitch_heartsfc_310807.jpg

_44068910_stadiumplan203.jpg

hearts_stadium_hmfc230108_2.jpg

Vlads master plan 😍

Sadly don’t think any further expansion is possible on the current site unfortunately. 

Hopefully demand will force a move in the next decade or so and we can really begin building for the future. 

20 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

This will be a cracking thread.

Despite C'ls last season, he played for us for over 10 years. Captain, manager, Dof , managed back to back 3rd place finishes, had some great European nights and gave hibs more nightmares than their meth induced comas will have.

He lived the dream many of us would love.

Shame he Never won a trophy with us an d likely never will now, although there a few that goes for.

Decent, honest read.

Well said. He is also a really nice guy away from football. 

19 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Well said. He is also a really nice guy away from football. 

Are you sure you are talking about the right guy??

ford donald
19 hours ago, Section Q said:

Pretty much this. Made some dreadful decisions as manager. Damage is still being felt.....

Yep,his apologies are meaningless,caused the support heartache for years,anyone else who supports him can do too.

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, ford donald said:

Yep,his apologies are meaningless,caused the support heartache for years,anyone else who supports him can do too.

Exactly.

He’s a lovely guy away from football.

Who gives a shiny shite about that.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, ford donald said:

Also gave us some good times too. His Hearts career didn't start in 16/17 when he gave Cathro the nod.

Greedy Jambo

"This may sound strange, but I link a lot of Hearts' struggles in the last few years to Souttar not being available. That's how important he is"

Nothing to do with the recruitment being utter shite then. 

Let's just rely on one player. :facepalm:

Guest ToqueJambo
33 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

"This may sound strange, but I link a lot of Hearts' struggles in the last few years to Souttar not being available. That's how important he is"

Nothing to do with the recruitment being utter shite then. 

Let's just rely on one player. :facepalm:

Most teams struggle without their best player or players, and we've lost a few to injury over the last few seasons. Take Boyle and Nisbet out of Hibs lineup and they wouldn't have got 3rd last season.

Greedy Jambo
12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Most teams struggle without their best player or players, and we've lost a few to injury over the last few seasons. Take Boyle and Nisbet out of Hibs lineup and they wouldn't have got 3rd last season.

That reminds me, a few of the mouth foamers on here were arguing with me about Jack Ross being shite and how he would fail at hibs. 

3rd place and they've just pumped a diddy team in europe. 

Remind me how Neilson did against the plumbers in europe?

Guest ToqueJambo
41 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

That reminds me, a few of the mouth foamers on here were arguing with me about Jack Ross being shite and how he would fail at hibs. 

3rd place and they've just pumped a diddy team in europe. 

Remind me how Neilson did against the plumbers in europe?

Ross is no great shakes. Ask any honest Hibee - they're still not convinced. They completely messed up a great chance for a cup double and got 3rd mostly down to Aberdeen imploding somewhat. Has Ross ever beaten the OF?

That Santa team was sub Cove Rangers level by the way. Well below the level of Birkirkara. Their team is full time professional who'd given West Ham a good game the season before us. Their stadium has a similar capacity to Tynecastle when we played them.

Santa-wotsit meanwhile is a village of 3000. They're part-time and they've done **** all in their history in Europe. But you carry on talking up Ross and Hibs!

Edited by ToqueJambo

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ross is no great shakes. Ask any honest Hibee - they're still not convinced. They completely messed up a great chance for a cup double and got 3rd mostly down to Aberdeen imploding somewhat. Has Ross ever beaten the OF?

That Santa team was sub Cove Rangers level by the way. Well below the level of Birkirkara. Their team is full time professional who'd given West Ham a good game the season before us. Their stadium has a similar capacity to Tynecastle when we played them.

Santa-wotsit meanwhile is a village of 3000. They're part-time and they've done **** all in their history in Europe. But you carry on talking up Ross and Hibs!

I'm just sick of being right to be honest. 

Keep the excuses going though, if that's what makes you feel better. 

P.s we really should be beating Celtic tomorrow, they're utter pish the now, playing youngsters in defence and they've had a game midweek, but i fully expect you to blame the ref if things don't go our way. 

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm just sick of being right to be honest. 

Keep the excuses going though, if that's what makes you feel better. 

P.s we really should be beating Celtic tomorrow, they're utter pish the now, playing youngsters in defence and they've had a game midweek, but i fully expect you to blame the ref if things don't go our way. 

Well Neilson also pumped a diddy team (much less of a Diddy team than Santa though) in Europe in his first European round, so not sure exactly what point you're trying to make other than an eagerness to talk up Hibs and Ross (again). Hibs were shite against a part-time village team from a country with a population less than East Kilbride.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Greedy Jambo
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well Neilson also pumped a diddy team (much less of a Diddy team than Santa though) in Europe in his first European round, so not sure exactly what point you're trying to make other than an eagerness to talk up Hibs and Ross (again). Hibs were shite against a part-time village team from a country with a population less than East Kilbride.

It's you that's eager to keep talking about Jack Frost. I was happy to move on to tomorrows game. 

And yeah, you never get my points, but i wont hold it against you. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's you that's eager to keep talking about Jack Frost. I was happy to move on to tomorrows game. 

And yeah, you never get my points, but i wont hold it against you. 

Is that why you posted about Craig Levein? The point you seemed to be making was Jack Ross did better than Robbie Neilson in Europe. As usual in your eagerness to talk up Hibs and talk down Hearts that was complete BS, given Neilson also skooshed his first tie and against much better opposition than Santa wotsit. Neilson also did better in the one derby the two have played vs each other and in the only cup final each has managed in. What was your point again?

Greedy Jambo
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Is that why you posted about Craig Levein? The point you seemed to be making was Jack Ross did better than Robbie Neilson in Europe. As usual in your eagerness to talk up Hibs and talk down Hearts that was complete BS, given Neilson also skooshed his first tie and against much better opposition than Santa wotsit. Neilson also did better in the one derby the two have played vs each other and in the only cup final each has managed in. What was your point again?

You still going? So if Ross gets hibs through the next game, does that make me right again?

It's hard work trying to back up the shite that we've had to put up with over the last 7 years is it not?

I've gone over and over what my point is in regards to Ross, i can't be arsed going over it again. 

Craig Levein should stop talking about Hearts he wasted millions on utter shite and refused to drop his massive ego and walk away. His reputation is massively tarnished even with those of us who remember what a great player he was. When he does return to Tynie He can sit beside that other Judas Chris Robinson if he wants they deserve each other 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You still going? So if Ross gets hibs through the next game, does that make me right again?

It's hard work trying to back up the shite that we've had to put up with over the last 7 years is it not?

I've gone over and over what my point is in regards to Ross, i can't be arsed going over it again. 

7 years is stretching it quite considerably. Maybe you just can't count? Or work calendars? Or read football results given you seemed unaware Neilson played a tie before Birkiri, a game we would have won if Bauben hadn't missed a pen. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

7 years is stretching it quite considerably. Maybe you just can't count? Or work calendars? Or read football results given you seemed unaware Neilson played a tie before Birkiri, a game we would have won if Bauben hadn't missed a pen. 

I had tried my best to put it out of my memory, it took you long enough to google it. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I had tried my best to put it out of my memory, it took you long enough to google it. 

I was at the home games for those ties so no need.

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I was at the home games for those ties so no need.

Funny how you didn't mention it in your first reply to me.