Chocolate Bars

martoon

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You can get a 3 pack of these which are a decent size for £1 in Home Bargains, love them.

👍

Have you tried Caramilk, a version of Caramac made by Cadbury's. It's rather nice. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• ¼½¾

• Maroon Sailor

• Салатные палочки

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

@Morganand I have an appreciation of the Old Jamaica bar. Bournville have recently dont their variation on it but I am struggling to find stockists (cleared a sweet shop of their stock @ Selby at the start of the month).

Home Bargains currently stock a dark chocolate R&R bar this is worth a try. 

You can get the Bounville one for £1 on Amazon. Free next day delivery if you're on Prime.

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, martoon said:

Need to check it out.

Cheers, bud.

👍

5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

👍

Have you tried Caramilk, a version of Caramac made by Cadbury's. It's rather nice. 

Never heard of it, definitely going to try it👍

Sawdust Caesar
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

@Morganand I have an appreciation of the Old Jamaica bar. Bournville have recently dont their variation on it but I am struggling to find stockists (cleared a sweet shop of their stock @ Selby at the start of the month).

Home Bargains currently stock a dark chocolate R&R bar this is worth a try. 

I'll look out for it, cheers.

22 hours ago, Jibbers said:

I don't remember a newsagent opposite the Spar. There was the El Mexicano sweet shop just down from the Spar on the other side. The newsagent I remember was round the corner towards the chippy. R S McColls, maybe Birrells originally? 

Used to enjoy a Caramac myself. Cadburys have now issued a version, forget the name.

Was a long time ago but I do remember there being a LOT of sweets in that shop so maybe wasn't a newsagents.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

You can get the Bounville one for £1 on Amazon. Free next day delivery if you're on Prime.

:vrwow: Going to check that out before the game kicks off

Maroon Sailor
19 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Seem to remember they changed the name to or from Trophy.

They did. Used to be a Trophy

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Not a chocolate bar as such, but I still miss the Black Cherry Cremes from Quality Street.

In fact, Quality Street and Roses are pretty shite these days, they all taste the same!

heartgarfunkel

Jeez, what a thread. I’m genuinely angry and in a mild state of distress that I missed out on that Aztec bar. Someone mentioned Duncan’s Hazlenut - not seen one for a long time. 

The Star Bar is incredible. I remember the day they launched, my mate and I were hanging about outside Mr Dow’s newsagents in Lady Nairn waiting for it to open, what a pair of wee ******s. Not easy to get these days but a treat when you find them. 

Anyone mind the Gambit? Was half milk and half dark chocolate i think, late 80s launch possibly. 

EdIqPSqXoAAAsK5.jpg.9b53eb0c36dfd92815b185a7744e8082.jpg

Back to the 70s when they really were...

My dad had a pie at the game, I had a Wagon Wheel.

Edited by martoon

On 28/07/2021 at 21:36, jambostuart said:

Mars Midnight with dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. Was beautiful. 

Absolutely beautiful so they were. I recently discovered that you can still get them in America, and online American sweet shops will deliver. Definitely worth it. Mars Bars are called Milky Way's over in the States though.

Speaking of Mars, I wish they'd bring back the Hazelnut Snickers. I like a Snickers but Hazelnut just worked so much better for me.

On 28/07/2021 at 23:36, martoon said:

Used to love these from the 90s. Also gone now.

vice-versa.jpg.b43060af5edf7455803a3372780b6900.jpg

They brought these back to much fanfare a few years back, but they seemed to fade pretty quickly unfortunately. Think the packet in your photo is the re-launched design. Great sweets.

29 minutes ago, Locky said:

Absolutely beautiful so they were. I recently discovered that you can still get them in America, and online American sweet shops will deliver. Definitely worth it. Mars Bars are called Milky Way's over in the States though.

Speaking of Mars, I wish they'd bring back the Hazelnut Snickers. I like a Snickers but Hazelnut just worked so much better for me.

They brought these back to much fanfare a few years back, but they seemed to fade pretty quickly unfortunately. Think the packet in your photo is the re-launched design. Great sweets.

Surprised they didn't become a mainstay of confectionery. 

So few people have good taste, Locky. 😊

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, King prawn said:

046BA22A-3228-4C18-81FD-FD5669CC0FAE.png.8dcc31e6ce36c4355b7d5c5c6207b69a.png I’m not sure what happened to these but they were great

Turned in to frogs

Freddo

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Turned in to frogs

Freddo

Couldn’t you buy both at the same time?

11 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I remember the boxes for each were always side by side. You definitely could get both at the same time, unless there was another type I'm remembering

14 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I've just checked the Taz one had caramel and at some point they rebranded it as a different flavour of freddo. But as I said earlier you could get both at one point

9 hours ago, martoon said:

Surprised they didn't become a mainstay of confectionery. 

So few people have good taste, Locky. 😊

Indeed martoon!

There was once a Milk Tray bar when I was proper young (late 60’s early 70’s) Different centres in different bits. Hella expensive IIRC

(Edit saw it already made an appearance on page 2)

41F448C1-F2CC-4FAE-ACF6-9784EFD79C0E.jpeg

Edited by Jamhammer

14 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

There was once a Milk Tray bar when I was proper young (late 60’s early 70’s) Different centres in different bits. Hella expensive IIRC

10p in that picture, which must have been around 1971, the time of decimalisation. The likes of a Mars Bar then would have been something around 2- 3p.

3 minutes ago, Deke Thornton said:

Used to get a Caramac Santa each Christmas.

First time I've ever heard of a Caramac Santa. Well jealous. :D 

32 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

10p in that picture, which must have been around 1971, the time of decimalisation. The likes of a Mars Bar then would have been something around 2- 3p.

I remember pre decimalisation getting 3d from my Grandad and getting a bag of chipitos (kinda wotsits) AND a wee Golden Cup

On 04/08/2021 at 20:03, Jamhammer said:

That sounds lovely but expensive to produce.

1 hour ago, martoon said:

That sounds lovely but expensive to produce.

I’m sure me dad once bought me mum one rather than a box.

They divorced 😀

8pm Channel 4 tonight.

The Secret World of Chocolate Bars.

Might be worth a watch.

The White Cockade

Super Mousse

Aztec Bar

Old Jamaica 

all favourites of mine

and those red plastic slot machine things you used to get at Christmas with the small chocolate bars 

and the Lindt chocolate animals got them every Christmas too

Rupert Pupkin

Tell you what, the size of a Toffee Crisp and Lion Bar now , really boils my p*ss

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I'm sure Pyramint was a thing. Mint chocolate in a pyramid shape, if that wasn't obvious by the name.

ICONIC discontinued chocolate bar is back - oh happy day 🍫 | Closer

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

ICONIC discontinued chocolate bar is back - oh happy day 🍫 | Closer

That's it.

I googled it, it was meant to be a rival to the chocolate orange but never took off. I liked it though.

On 28/07/2021 at 21:13, martoon said:

The 54321 chocolate bar/biscuit was mentioned in the Scottish Clubs in Europe thread and got me thinking of other confectionery that has been discontinued. 1989 in this case.

The one I miss most from childhood/younger days were these bad boys which disappeared in 1992, apparently.

lylasZXWEjANIEw-800x800-noPad.jpg.e3ccf9151749e03a183b357165143ab5.jpg

What's you're long forgotten favourite?

I used to love a 5 centres, but always wondered why it was split into 7 segments, so that other than the outer segments, every other one was a mixture of 2 centres.

6 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Tell you what, the size of a Toffee Crisp and Lion Bar now , really boils my p*ss

Are you sure they have gotten smaller, and it's not just that your hands are bigger than when you were a kid?

My favourite was always a Marathon, loved the nougat, caramel and peanut combination.  I wish they'd bring them back.

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

I used to love a 5 centres, but always wondered why it was split into 7 segments, so that other than the outer segments, every other one was a mixture of 2 centres.

You have a better memory than me, Rob.

images.jpeg.9bb577c9058c32020224ceb60ece5203.jpeg

Shared one of these with the family last night. £1 in Sains.

Liked them when I was a kid in the 70's but pocket money/paperboy wage didn't allow for too many. Quite pricey, iirc.

They only had the above, rum raisin, which I wasn't sure about, and marzipan which I wouldn't eat at gunpoint.

Anyone seen this variety in the shops?

1281946454_images(1).thumb.jpeg.58908e105c42548712a6719e4ec306eb.jpeg

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

Are you sure they have gotten smaller, and it's not just that your hands are bigger than when you were a kid?

That's the mantra of the chocolate bar makers.😊

Had a chunky kit kat tonight that certainly wasn't.

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

My favourite was always a Marathon, loved the nougat, caramel and peanut combination.  I wish they'd bring them back.

🤣

On 31/07/2021 at 18:07, luckyBatistuta said:

You can get a 3 pack of these which are a decent size for £1 in Home Bargains, love them.

Just the name itself says they’ll be shiiiiiiite

Think I’ve seen these in Home Bargains too.

Still prefer this one as the best bar of chocolate ever...

14457373-9DF3-418C-BEE2-F73A7C477847.png

Me too. Get mine in Tesco

On 31/07/2021 at 18:13, Lemongrab said:

👍

Tried this a few nights back.

Like crack, very moreish!

Malinga the Swinga

B&M up at Straiton selling loads of Cadbury Dairy milk Australian versions at the moment. Rather pricey but different varieties you don't normally see.

On 31/07/2021 at 18:13, Lemongrab said:

👍

This will interest you Lemon

Screenshot_20210814-113713_Facebook.jpg

59 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

This will interest you Lemon

Screenshot_20210814-113713_Facebook.jpg

Oooo I'll have to keep and eye out for them. Cheers. 👍

Fxxx the SPFL

Went to Roseburn primary school in the sixties Ross’s puff candy factory was opposite we used to pop in on the way home and ask the workers for any spare bits used to give us a bagful each especially when you got some of the chocolate puff candy