***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

I’m delighted with the win,  but I’m worried that we sat back for so long. We don’t need the ‘happy clippers’ or ‘haters’ binary nonsense to share our views on a fans forum.   We got the win, that’s what matters but I for one was frustrated that we sat off them, midfield way to deep when they are clearly weak at the back.  I hope we can build our confidence and start playing ont the front foot from here but this divisiveness on here about having to be in one camp or the other is really unhelpful.   

That showed the weakness of the 3-4-3 especially against a team like Celtic who, for all their current shiteness, are still packed with multi-million pound footballers in their front 6. It became a back 5 because of Celtic's possession down the flanks. We did sit back but it ultimately worked. They had very few clear chances. When we changed it to be more positive and win the game, we dominated but we don't know if we would have dominated in that way if we'd changed 30 mins earlier. Ultimately, who cares? That was one of the toughest tests of the season. Against other teams that sort of sitting back would be unforgivable especially at home.

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• milky_26

• sadj

• Cruyff

Keep it up Hearts and Robbie, play attacking football and possession based and I'll be happy. 

And should have a balance of style and wins. 

Hopefully carry it onto St Mirren now, nothing to fear. 

2 minutes ago, whodanny said:

They keep saying that Celtic haven't lost on the opening day for x number of years, did we not gub them 1-0 on opening day 2018 ? Kyle Lafferty strike ?

that was matchday 2

edit they beat livi 3-1 on day 1 and we beat hamilton 4-1 

Edited by milky_26

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

That showed the weakness of the 3-4-3 especially against a team like Celtic who, for all their current shiteness, are still packed with multi-million pound footballers in their front 6. It became a back 5 because of Celtic's possession. We did sit back but it ultimately worked. They had very few clear chances. When we changed it to be more positive and win the game, we dominated but we don't know if we would have dominated in that way if we'd changed 30 mins earlier. Ultimately, who cares? That was one of the toughest tests of the season. Against other teams that sort of sitting back would be unforgivable especially at home.

Agree 👍

3 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Well done Hearts, well done all the players, and - yes - well done Robbie Neilson (:arry:)! 

:icon14: 🍻 :HeartsManspotrun::jambobanana:

Absolutely.. I was giving Robbie pelters for giving them too much respect and allowing them to dictate but he changed it and we did it.. I can't argue with that.. please Robbiejust be more aggressive and positive.. we have the players I think to have a go at most in this league ! Beni.. some debut though

I'm not getting carried away, by no means did we play great football, but at the end of the day Hearts won, so credit to them tonight. 

I'm a man of my word, well done Robbie keep it up 👏👍

LarrysRightFoot

I like that Robbie said we’ve got to win at St Mirren next week - that’s exactly the kind of attitude I’m looking for. 

Yes it was a good win - for us (the fans) we can enjoy it for a couple of days but I want the team focussed on winning every game. 

4 minutes ago, Guffers said:

Absolutely.. I was giving Robbie pelters for giving them too much respect and allowing them to dictate but he changed it and we did it.. I can't argue with that.. please Robbiejust be more aggressive and positive.. we have the players I think to have a go at most in this league ! Beni.. some debut though

The haring sub swung the momentum. It was a very good change.

John Findlay

They can show all the statistics they want about possession, passes completed, passing accuracy etc etc etc. There is only one stat that matters.

Goals scored during a game. Tonight, we Heart of Midlothian scored two, Celtic scored one. Result Heart of Midlothian 3pts, Celtic 0pts.

To a certain poster. Robbie Neilson has beat them all now. Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian, and Sevco.

Thank you for tonight Hearts my smile is a mile wide.

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

that was matchday 2

edit they beat livi 3-1 on day 1 and we beat hamilton 4-1 

Aye, you're right, I was up in Ullapool on matchday one, Celtic match a Tynie was my first game of the season.

Rogue Daddy
31 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

I’m delighted with the win,  but I’m worried that we sat back for so long. We don’t need the ‘happy clippers’ or ‘haters’ binary nonsense to share our views on a fans forum.   We got the win, that’s what matters but I for one was frustrated that we sat off them, midfield way to deep when they are clearly weak at the back.  I hope we can build our confidence and start playing ont the front foot from here but this divisiveness on here about having to be in one camp or the other is really unhelpful.   

A fantastic win but I completely agree… sitting off Celtic (and we do it with Rangers also), never works. You have to push them and close them down. But, I’ve got to say, credit to RN taking off GMS for Haring because it changed the game in our favour and we looked a lot better. 
Well done Hearts, a fantastic win with a lot of heroes in maroon!

3 minutes ago, SectionN said:

Missed the first 10 minutes heading home from work. 

Did Doncaster make an appearance?

He was at the game apparently but didn’t venture on to the pitch 

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

He was at the game apparently but didn’t venture on to the pitch 

He must have been so disappointed with the result, shame he didn't show his ugly mug!

Kennyfragg13

Defensive masterclass limited them to mostly long shots Robbie got tactics spot on,felt very comfortable apart from last 5 mins,every player put in 100% ,good times ahead IMO .

heartsfc_fan

Just home.

That was brilliant. Beni is an absolute baller! Great player.

The place was bouncing. 5,200 fans made a great noise.

Absolutely superb!!

Just now, heartsfc_fan said:

Just home.

That was brilliant. Beni is an absolute baller! Great player.

The place was bouncing. 5,200 fans made a great noise.

Absolutely superb!!

i think it is on the souttar thread, souttar being interviewed after the game and he is pointing to his ear as he cant hear the interviewer due to the noise of those lucky gits who got tickets for today

Tommy Brown
59 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Pray Silence for the Robbie haters...................love to hear them now (but we won't)

Not a hater, but non-believer.

If he keeps prooving me wrong, he will win me over.

Right opponent, right time.

Funny how a perspective changes.  I respected how brave we were in how we set up.  At 1-0 it just looked like an open game of football and we stuck to our guns.  

But as it got to the latter part of the first half, it was clear we needed to cramp up the midfield and there was an imbalance to us. 

In some ways, it was no surprise to see the last two goals of the game borne out of how the nature of the match changed. Celtic pressure told and they got their equaliser, but once we got tighter we gained more of the ball in the lead up to our winner.

Its a night to enjoy. Not going into more detail about individual performances, some of which were excellent and some a bit unexpectedly so-so.

HHGH. 

One thing - corners..

Last season Ginnelly was delivering so absolutely wonderful corners, attackers dream. We've started this season with Smith and Cochrane on corners. Standard has been really poor.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

One thing - corners..

Last season Ginnelly was delivering so absolutely wonderful corners, attackers dream. We've started this season with Smith and Cochrane on corners. Standard has been really poor.

Thought Cochrane instead of Kingsley for corners was weird.

best in the land
35 minutes ago, SectionN said:

Missed the first 10 minutes heading home from work. 

Did Doncaster make an appearance?

Hope he got abuse all game, didn't hear anything was disappointing

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Thought Cochrane instead of Kingsley for corners was weird.

or even halliday

I know it's early days but right now Celtic are 8n the relegation play-off spot.  They might battle their way out of it but equally, they might not.  😂

Just now, best in the land said:

Hope he got abuse all game, didn't hear anything was disappointing

When Hearts scored the first, a few folk stood up and gave him pelters. He spent the Mach either looking straight ahead or at his phone. Lockie was on the periphery obviously to calm any idiots who tried to approach. He was sat around row 34/35 in Section PR. Not sure many folk actually noticed his presence

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Quite frankly, I’m overwhelmed…

Not just whelmed or very whelmed.

Overwhelmed.

Tremendous.

portobellojambo1

A good start to the new league season, with a full three points taken. Must admit I was a bit quizzical (if that is a word at all) when after going 1-0 up we didn't then look to go for the jugular, but instead were happy to let them control a lot of possession. But, we went back on the front foot late in the game and got ourselves a winner, and in such circumstances the intervening period can be overlooked to an extent as they didn't benefit in any way from having an awful lot of possession.

A good start, but it only becomes a really good start if we can go to Paisley next week and get a repeat result and then put Aberdeen to the sword in the next home game. Gotta start somewhere and tonight at Tynecastle represented that start, hopefully we can continue to look for wins in future games.

20 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Funny how a perspective changes.  I respected how brave we were in how we set up.  At 1-0 it just looked like an open game of football and we stuck to our guns.  

But as it got to the latter part of the first half, it was clear we needed to cramp up the midfield and there was an imbalance to us. 

In some ways, it was no surprise to see the last two goals of the game borne out of how the nature of the match changed. Celtic pressure told and they got their equaliser, but once we got tighter we gained more of the ball in the lead up to our winner.

Its a night to enjoy. Not going into more detail about individual performances, some of which were excellent and some a bit unexpectedly so-so.

HHGH. 

Spot on.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Game starting on Sportscene BBC Scotland now 

Might have had this on waiting patiently

So good to be back, place was rocking!

Was a bit of a strange game as we started so well and then sat back and invited pressure. Then when they were well on top and got their goal it only looked like one team was winning it. Great sub to change the game and nice to see us pushing for a winner.

Such an added bonus to beat them with a late goal after all the shite we’ve endured with late winners from them in the past. Would have loved to see their faces but nice to have a ground full of jambos.

Shout out to Gordon for his amazing saves at the end, he’s worth his weight in gold. Souttar is a colossus at the back and Beni looks a great find! 

Need to take this win on to next week and hopefully continue to strengthen with quality. If we get more in like Beni it could be a very good season!

Edited by Mr Rabbit

1 hour ago, Guffers said:

I was raging when he took off josh then when I really thought about it he took him off because we needed to get a hold in midfield and that’s exactly how it played out brought haring on and we started to control the middle of the park well done Robbie 

Just now, Kyle1874 said:

I was raging when he took off josh then when I really thought about it he took him off because we needed to get a hold in midfield and that’s exactly how it played out brought haring on and we started to control the middle of the park well done Robbie 

ginnelly looked like he was flagging a bit when he got subbed

Cut The Crap

Great work by all involved. Let’s now back it up with a win in Paisley.

Still can’t believe it. I genuinely thought we were just going to sit back and try to settle for the draw and was a bit gutted when Haring came out which made me think was going to be the case. Absolute fair play to Robbie as I think this was the sub that changed the flow of the game and allowed us to go on and win.

Fantastic result! Hopefully we can kick on into St Midden and go on a nice run.

Cracking night of football and it’s great to be back where we belong!

1 hour ago, jambogaza said:

The haring sub swung the momentum. It was a very good change.

Thought it should have happened earlier, but it did change it . Thought Celtic bringing on the lad from Japan also worked well in our favour 

2 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Only one outcome here and its the same one we’ve seen for the last 50 games against them.

The outcome being? Remind us all of your genius. As for, "Last 50 games"? Can you even count? No, I didn't think so. 😆

3 hours ago, neilnunb said:

I'm not sure throwing the new boy in was a good idea. Looks well rusty.

And the man of the match was who?

bobby bombscare

Probably an unpopular opinion here.. but I have long been an advocate for getting Halliday out the starting 11. 

However, I think his energy and willingness to throw his body on the line at every opportunity really set the tone for the grit we showed. And he absolutely warranted his place in the starting 11.

I also felt like, although he never scored, Boyce gave a masterclass with his touch, movement, bits of creative play/flair and vision. 

Always plenty to improve on after the first game, but we got so much right tonight! 

their analysis on our first, poor from celtic, nothing about us until mccann states us having 6 in the box is good after they show celtics goal

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic