***Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Heart of Darkness

Straight in for the jugular!! 

Don't let their defence THINK they are crap!

Make them BELIEVE it!!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• milky_26

• sadj

• Cruyff

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Just want RN to set us up to have a real go….he could win back a few supporters here.

Get Boyce and Gnando right through the middle and attack the inexperienced centre halves.

Exactly my thoughts, Nando also gives us a physical presence up front, we should be looking to get crosses into the box as their defence is vulnerable.

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think we can take them so long as Boyce leads the line.

I'd like to see Walker start ahead of Gino because I think he offers more of a goalscoring threat and at the moment only Boyce offers goals. 

Gordon 

Soapy Halkett Kingsley 

Smith                         Cochrane 

Haring Halliday 

GMS                   Walker

Boyce 

Walker never seems to play well when he starts. But he’s a great impact player.

Gino, imo has to start. His pace and direct play will cause their FBs all kinds of problems.

Horatio Caine

Posted on the other thread that, as a lot of posters on this thread have said, we need to press them all over the park.  Never give them any time on the ball and stop this back and forth across the park.  The likes of Halliday, Boyce, GMS and, from the coaching team, Naismith will all know how we should play this one even if RN wants to be Mr Shitthebed.

Just now, MattyK82 said:

Gino, imo has to start. His pace and direct play will cause their FBs all kinds of problems.

Walker did more in 25 mins than Gino did in entire 90 on Saturday……I’d be inclined to keep them both on the bench and play GMS along with Boyce and Gnando. 

no way we are losing this . winning by at least 2 possibly 3 . We've got Souttar at the back Boycie in attack :olly::yas:

Just now, DH1986 said:

Walker did more in 25 mins than Gino did in entire 90 on Saturday……I’d be inclined to keep them both on the bench and play GMS along with Boyce and Gnando. 

The line up and system will certainly be interesting. 

I wouldn’t play Gnando at the expense of Gino. And I wouldn’t play Boyce out of position to accommodate him either. Bench for me 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think we can take them so long as Boyce leads the line.

I'd like to see Walker start ahead of Gino because I think he offers more of a goalscoring threat and at the moment only Boyce offers goals. 

Gordon 

Soapy Halkett Kingsley 

Smith                         Cochrane 

Haring Halliday 

GMS                   Walker

Boyce 

walker ahead of Ginelly? Our faster most direct player, who tore them up in the cup final.  Insanity mate. 

Gordon

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley

Smith

Haring

Halliday

Cochrane

Ginnelly

Boyce

Mackay-Steven

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

no way we are losing this . winning by at least 2 possibly 3 . We've got Souttar at the back Boycie in attack :olly::yas:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

Jambo 4 Ever
15 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

Calm down 

Bazzas right boot

Craigy 

Smith

Halkett 

Souttar

Cochrane 

Haring

Kingsley 

Haliday 

Gino 

GMS 

Boyce 

4-1-4-1

Celtic will play 1 up front and 2 wingers so I'd go 4 at the back. 

GMS in behind Boycey. 

SomethingAboutObua

Really difficult to predict this one, just seems there's so much going wrong at Celtic that they'll get their tails up against us and get a win, or we'll be overly confident and muck it up.

If we play it confident but smart then I'd dare hope we'll smash them

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I assume their new £4m centre-half is likely to come in?

still isolating? Hasn’t even trained with them

portobellojambo1

I think we have the choice of doing what we often try to do against Celtic, which is to sit in and try and frustrate their midfield and attack. It has worked on occasion but I'd like to see us change a bit on Saturday night. They are relatively weak at the back with 4 youngsters and a goalkeeepr they seem to have no confidence in. I'd prefer to see us play on the front foot, in a manner that works their back 4 constantly, it is the sort of game where you could say the best form of defence may be to go on the attack. We really have nothing to lose and everything to win, and 3 points on Saturday would be a super start to the league campaign

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

Robbie in the dugout :ninja:

Dennis Reynolds

We need to really attack and get at them. Celtic don't know what to do when we do that and with their current set up, we need to take advantage.

Will be extremely pissy if we sit back and try and nick a goal. That's how we'll get punished.

28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

Neilson gets the sack ?

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

still isolating? Hasn’t even trained with them

I saw something saying he'd be available. Might be a bit of a risk if he's not trained with them right enough, but the alternatives are poor.

Can't think there's ever been a better time to play them and our lack of games against Premiership opposition recently makes it very hard to gauge how we're likely do. This'll be the first proper test for the back three system as well.

Fantastic chance for Neilson to ease the doubts about him. Could be a big turning point if he gets his approach and tactics right and we get the win.

I really hope he does.

A huge boost for us all if we can.

:flagwave:

6 minutes ago, martoon said:

Fantastic chance for Neilson to ease the doubts about him. Could be a big turning point if he gets his approach and tactics right and we get the win.

I really hope he does.

A huge boost for us all if we can.

:flagwave:

I’ve actually got no doubts he’ll give it a right go for this game. To do otherwise and lose against a vulnerable Celtic (how often can you ever say that about them) would be suicidal from his perspective job wise. I think we’ll win. 

Im far more concerned about away games against the expected bottom 6 if I’m honest 

Edited by JimmyCant

Hungry hippo
47 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Gordon

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley

Smith

Haring

Halliday

Cochrane

Ginnelly

Boyce

Mackay-Steven

Yip. Would be stunned if we don't go with the same as started at Stirling, assuming everyone is fit.

SuperstarSteve

I do not expect a result, granted it seems a higher possibility than usual against that mob.

They looked shattered before the 90 and were dragged through extra time with there defence looking shambles for weeks now and whoever is number 1 knows he’s being replaced. 

They will be looking to bounce back of course but I’ll be disappointed if we don’t test them consistently especially with GMS, Gino, Boyce, Walker as attacking options. 

Praying the two I don’t rate Halkett and Halliday have a stormer and one of forwards produce the final bit of quality that all of them are capable of. 

42 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

31 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

walker ahead of Ginelly? Our faster most direct player, who tore them up in the cup final.  Insanity mate. 

I dunno lads.  I think Gino is at his best on the counter where there is space to exploit, like he did v Celtic at Hampden. He didn't get that v Inverness and wasn't as effective. 

I'm not sure it will be his type of game early doors tbh. I think it will be a bit stuffy but he could make an impact coming off the bench  if we are leading after the 50 minute mark where Celtic might need to push forward a bit more. 

I just think we need to score first and we only really have Boyce as a real goalscoring threat.

It is true Walker hasn't been as effective from the start as he has been from the bench but he scores goals and we need more than just Boyce through the middle for me. Walker is good at finding space and Boyce is an intelligent player who can draw players out and create that for him. 

It ultimately depends what game Robbie plays though. I think he might even go with 3 Central mids as Postecoglou plays 4-2-3-1 and likes his full backs to invert/go narrow and his wingers to sit wide and stretch the game. We'll see how it goes, there might be a few surprises. 

Celtic will hopefully be hungover given their result, morale, travel and quick turnaround for the game on Saturday. If ever there was a game to have no fear and go for it this is it. None of this “cautious approach” pish.

In their faces right from the off.

Really can’t see anything other than a Hearts win if we just go for it! They are brutal.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

Ange for the sack

(after we pump them 5-0)

Wow loving the optimism from most fans on here I personally would take any result against them, yes I know there defence isn't the best, but it's Celtic they always seem to get lucky against us, I hope I'm completely wrong and we do them.

HHGH!! :flag2:

Edited by gregzy2k7

5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

Celtic on the rack.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

0-2

A reality check for us.

That would be a reality check for them.

6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve actually got no doubts he’ll give it a right go for this game. To do otherwise and lose against a vulnerable Celtic (how often can you ever say that about them) would be suicidal from his perspective job wise. I think we’ll win. 

Im far more concerned about away games against the expected bottom 6 if I’m honest 

Hope you're right about the Celtic game, Jimmy. Great chance for Neilson to eat into the negativity, mine included.

Away games give me the fear. Oh for the good old days when Alex McDonald approached home and away the same.

Attack and try to win. Didn't always work, of course, but it was great to watch.

StirlingJambo

Celtic defence has got a lot worse since we last played them in that cup final. The defenders and goalkeepers they have available are very vulnerable..two youth centre backs, a right back that could hardly get a game when out on loan last season and Greg Taylor. They still have great attacking players but we have to press from the off forcing mistakes at this dodgy defence. Needs to play two up top. 

Mon the Hearts!

Robbo-Jambo
10 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Celtic haven't been completely dog shit over these 2 games, plenty of danger coming forward. But they will be the weakest Celtic for a while, which strangely bothers me. 

4500 is lucky break for them. Full Tynecastle would have been interesting how they handled it. 

We have a chance but need to improve our sharpness in the final third. Really not sure what to expect in truth 

How I feel as well.

Seem that mob come back like a wounded animal too many times in the past.

Having said that, if we show no fear and have a real go we have an excellent chance.

Will we though ? Will Neilson be brave enough ?

Really difficult one to call now I feel. 🤔.

As you say, now don't really know what to expect.

Jamstomorrow
8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

Hopefully we're not crap.

OmiyaHearts

Can't see a win but we definitely have a chance of getting a draw. A few signings would have been nice but still looking forward to the season. Gonnae a tough campaign.

fabienleclerq

Normally I think getting one of the OF early is a good opportunity, with them getting beat the other night I'm not so sure now. They will be determined to get a good result on the back of that. If we have a good start we might just shake them up a bit. 

I've only really watched the Sunderland game so not hugely confident we will. 

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

It was a song a few seasons back, something about playing football the gorgie way was the next line.

In fact wasn't it the Stendel song?

Robbo-Jambo
8 hours ago, 8skacel8 said:

Gordon

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley

Smith

Haring

Halliday

Cochrane

Ginnelly

Boyce

Mackay-Steven

That will be the starting eleven.

I’m expecting a disgusting refereeing performance with yellows being dished out like confetti.

An early booking for Ginelly for a nothing challenge.

Celtic kick us off the park and scrape a 1 - 1 draw.

The Treasurer

With the referee being  Bobby "the cameras are here to see me" Madden in charge, the only questions are  when will they get a penalty and how long will it take Halliday to get booked

hmfc_liam06

The manager isn't going to suddenly deviate from the 3-4-3 we've played all pre-season and play 2 strikers, unless there are injuries this week.

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Souttar at the back, 

Boycey in attack, 

Needs a third line. 

Bypass the midfield

Cos it’s pretty cack 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, 151 said:

It was a song a few seasons back, something about playing football the gorgie way was the next line.

1 hour ago, 151 said:

Terrible 3rd line, worst out the lot 😂

1 hour ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Hopefully we're not crap.

Not where I was going.... 

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Celtic on the rack.

More like it

6 hours ago, RobNox said:

Ange for the sack

(after we pump them 5-0)

Nae bad, I like it.