Alex Cochrane

otterjohn

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts on Alex so far.its early days but he's looked better each game to me anyway.He played really well on Sunday and could be a worthwhile addition

Think he's very good defensively but in wide areas needs to stop putting the ball backwards 90% of the time. More creativity needed but very positive so far for a youngster.

been here before

Seemed keen enough to get forward, vocal on the pitch but I thought he was a bit hit and miss on Sunday. But then so was everyone else.

Early days. 

Saint Jambo

Defensively he is what I'd expect. Fairly athletic and makes some good challenges, but also a bit positionally suspect. In the first half he got a great last ditch block in to divert the ball over the bar, but only because he was out of position and had lost his man when the cross came in.

My bigger concern is going forward. He doesn't seem to have a natural attacking instinct. He receives the ball out wide and his immediate inclination is to play it straight back to the central defender he was receiving it from. In the first half, when Kingsley had the ball, Cochrane generally needed to be 10 to 15 yards further up the line to stretch ICT. When he did get the ball with space ahead of him he didn't seem to have the confidence to carry the ball forward into it. He also seems pretty quiet and doesn't demand the ball when he is the best option. Hopefully some of that is down to a lack of confidence and will come with more game time. To be fair he wasn't helped by Kingsley who didn't seem to have a natural awareness of when Cochrane was in space and inclination to quickly move the ball out to him. 

If he was a Hearts youngster, I'd be happy with how he has shown up so far and looking forward to seeing him develop. If I'm honest, if he is going to be a first choice and we are only going to have him for a year, I expect more. 

35 minutes ago, gedster said:

Think he's very good defensively but in wide areas needs to stop putting the ball backwards 90% of the time. More creativity needed but very positive so far for a youngster.

IMO Michael Smith is every bit as bad for taking the safe option there. 

Unsure if that means they're under instruction  to do that or if we just have two fullbacks who are defensively minded (rather than say, Hickey or Demi Mitchell. 

38 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Boring player whose first instinct is to play a safe pass. Good defender 

That will be the coaching he gets since joing us.

heartsfc_fan

I like him. Not the finished article but defensively decent. Made a great block to preserve Gordon's clean sheet record.

Bit of work needed going forward but done fine so far.

BackOfTheNet

Got some decent attributes but still early to say. Although doesn’t look like a youngster, like some players of a similar age.

One thing that I noticed though was he had a great last ditch block that Gordon thanked him for, it was indeed a great block, but his positional sense meant that he lost his man in the first place. So that’s not ideal. But at least if he does make errors he’s quick to rectify.

1 minute ago, pointon said:

Looks solid against shite teams his test is coming 

Indeed but is he vocal or is he

quiet ?

Seems to be some disagreement on here 

Haven't watched many games but from what I have heard and seen on the highlights he seems to be pretty solid tbf, I said before I just have a gut feeling he will surprise a few and be one of our best signings this season.

3 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

4 replies before the negative shite begins. 

Good going. 

Some folk really do hate being positive on here.

Made an incredible block in the first half on Sunday that looked definitely goal bound. Looks decent so far all be it against lesser teams, we’ll see what he’s all about when the league campaign starts.

Jambof3tornado
7 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

This

8 hours ago, been here before said:

Seemed keen enough to get forward, vocal on the pitch but I thought he was a bit hit and miss on Sunday. But then so was everyone else.

Early days. 

Agreed.

Though our manager thought he couldn't ask for any more from our players.

KyleLafferty
1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Made an incredible block in the first half on Sunday that looked definitely goal bound. Looks decent so far all be it against lesser teams, we’ll see what he’s all about when the league campaign starts.

I’m as Positive as it comes but he lost His man in the box badly And had to

recover. Other than that he’s been solid. He could be more Positive going forward but that will Come.

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, tian447 said:

4 replies before the negative shite begins. 

Good going. 

And only a couple more replies before the coaches were blamed for him not looking like the next Carlos Alberto

Ainsley Harriott
9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Looks alright but it's too early to say. I'd imagine Kingsley is first choice once we sort Centerhalf out. 

You sound optimistic 

RustyRightPeg

Technically very good. He isn’t as quick over the ground as I expected him to be. 

Our shape should allow him to overlap more than he does though, would like to see that more often.

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, Chaps said:

Gordon’s reaction was top class when this happened. 

10 hours ago, gedster said:

Noticed this but I think RN had a word a half time on Sunday and it was noticeable he started to be more positive in the 2nd half.  He looks a reasonable player though. 

It really has become an ingrained mindset in modern players, playing safe.

Of course, there’s times you just need to keep the ball but I’ll never understand players who receive the ball as they open up their body looking to move forward(while there’s clearly space in front), but turn away and knock it back?

I remember when full backs(or wide players) first thought was to stand the player up coming to close them down, they had the poise and unpredictability to the leave their opponent guessing what they’d do with the ball.   

Edited by Debut 4

10 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Defensively he is what I'd expect. Fairly athletic and makes some good challenges, but also a bit positionally suspect. In the first half he got a great last ditch block in to divert the ball over the bar, but only because he was out of position and had lost his man when the cross came in.

My bigger concern is going forward. He doesn't seem to have a natural attacking instinct. He receives the ball out wide and his immediate inclination is to play it straight back to the central defender he was receiving it from. In the first half, when Kingsley had the ball, Cochrane generally needed to be 10 to 15 yards further up the line to stretch ICT. When he did get the ball with space ahead of him he didn't seem to have the confidence to carry the ball forward into it. He also seems pretty quiet and doesn't demand the ball when he is the best option. Hopefully some of that is down to a lack of confidence and will come with more game time. To be fair he wasn't helped by Kingsley who didn't seem to have a natural awareness of when Cochrane was in space and inclination to quickly move the ball out to him. 

If he was a Hearts youngster, I'd be happy with how he has shown up so far and looking forward to seeing him develop. If I'm honest, if he is going to be a first choice and we are only going to have him for a year, I expect more. 

This is a general worry of mine in a 343/541 type thing.

Our wide guys can't be Smith AND Cochrane. Yeah u maybe get away with one WB being more defensively minded but not both.

There have been games already this season where we've had 8 defensive minded players on the park. We need way more thrust and creativity.

That's not a slight on Cochrane who I think has done pretty well and looks a good player to have around.

Everyone banging on about CHs and strikers. To me we need a proper RWB (and CM) more than anything else.

hmfc_liam06

Solid enough start, hopefully once he gets comfortable with his team mates and how we're looking to play he'll start being more effective going forward.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

This is a general worry of mine in a 343/541 type thing.

Our wide guys can't be Smith AND Cochrane. Yeah u maybe get away with one WB being more defensively minded but not both.

There have been games already this season where we've had 8 defensive minded players on the park. We need way more thrust and creativity.

That's not a slight on Cochrane who I think has done pretty well and looks a good player to have around.

Everyone banging on about CHs and strikers. To me we need a proper RWB (and CM) more than anything else.

i have said this as well, playing a 3-4-3 has been good and suited us and I think playing someone like Cochrane and smith away at the old firm makes sense as they are both defensively minded so will offer a bit of protection. However I think, especially in home games we need wing backs who have got energy and pace to get up and down and who are attack minded as well. 

Cochrane has been solid, you forget how young he is which is a compliment, very calm on the ball and is always available which is good. As mentioned, I hope he can be more positive on the ball and make more forward runs as he gets more comfortable playing with us and in this league.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Dont think he will ever let you down, 7/10 every week player, never be an EPL player, someone who would suit our level very well I think. Really happy to have him, a stand up and be counted lad

5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

And only a couple more replies before the coaches were blamed for him not looking like the next Carlos Alberto

🤣

Been solid and done as asked so far , cant ask anymore. Doesnt tend to hit the first defender with corners either

Berra than you
3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Noticed this but I think RN had a word a half time on Sunday and it was noticeable he started to be more positive in the 2nd half.  He looks a reasonable player though. 

It really has become an ingrained mindset in modern players, playing safe.

Of course, there’s times you just need to keep the ball but I’ll never understand players who receive the ball as they open up their body looking to move forward(while there’s clearly space in front), but turn away and knock it back?

I remember when full backs(or wide players) first thought was to stand the player up coming to close them down, they had the poise and unpredictability to the leave their opponent guessing what they’d do with the ball.   

He was far better at getting forward second half, and I notice the first time he turned back on himself in the second half, Neilson was at him telling him to go forward. On the whole I think he will be a positive signing. I think he was caught out positionally a couple of times on Sunday, but tbf he wasnt the only one.

davemclaren

If he was a permanent signing I we would see him as a very decent solid one. I’m sure he will do a job this season. 

15 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Not really much wrong with that at the moment is there? He's a young lad, eager to impress his teammates, manager and fans at his new club. Can't fault him for trying to get through games without putting a foot wrong and slowly building his confidence.

Robbo-Jambo
15 hours ago, wavydavy said:

That will be the coaching he gets since joing us.

Not hard to work out is it ? 😏

Thought he’d been pretty grey up until Sunday but better Sunday.

Agree needs to do more going forward if playing in front of Kingsley

upgotheheads
21 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

as  defenders  boring players are worth their weight in gold.

very run of the mill player so far, however I don't believe that he'll play very often after our quality, amazing, out of this world defender arrives as promised :clumshot:

tartofmidlothian

Beni's rightly stolen the attention tonight, but Cochrane also looked composed and classy in his first top-flight match for us.

Brick Tamland

Very composed for his age, defensively I thought he did really well tonight, Forest struggled to get past him. Good athlete, good awareness and positionally astute. Loses a point for his corners though.