Neilson's failings during season 2021/2

lost in space

1 hour ago, karipidis said:

Thought we have been very unlucky not to be seeded and don’t think Neilson should take too much blame for that, however the post match comments are ALWAYS baffling.

FTFY

Agree with your post mind

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Fozzyonthefence

InternationalJambo
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yet I watch other teams on similar budgets who move the ball far better, with far more purpose than we do. They pass it and they move, they drive into space when it’s available, they vary the play and go directly when required, they shoot from distance, they widen the pitch, they have players who try and beat people.

How often do you watch these other teams? Did you tune into any their cup ties this weekend? Or do you only take notice when it matters?

glynnlondon
16 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Wanted hibs to win the cup yet regularly has a go at other fans. 

Quite :rofl:

KyleLafferty
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yet I watch other teams on similar budgets who move the ball far better, with far more purpose than we do. They pass it and they move, they drive into space when it’s available, they vary the play and go directly when required, they shoot from distance, they widen the pitch, they have players who try and beat people, they look well drilled and have variation at corners. We even look shit at throw ins for **** sake.

robbie neilson is a poor manager. When he inevitably leaves hearts it’s championship and below for him.

Who plays better football on a lower budget? And how many times you watched them?

Byyy The Light
15 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

It's interesting to see the posters that have been noticeable by their absence are suddenly crawling out from under their rocks as soon as a disappointing result happens. 

A disappointing result being a win 😂

A new low for Hearts supporters today 

InternationalJambo
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Still not even sure we know our best lineup. Midfield especially. Gnando doesnt work up top on his own. Boyce and gms have a very good understanding growing which is a big plus. Walker is a game changer when it suits him. Kingsley is no centrehalf. Cochrane very negative. Ginnelly poor today I thought, just didnt give him much of an opportunity to use his best abilities.

Halkett I loved at Livvy but think he looks bang average for us.

Set pieces we seem very poor at attacking. 

Its really hard to judge where we are at as a side given our opposition thus far has been very poor quality.

These signings better be crackers....but I'm really expecting disappointment on that front.

You are bang on about midfield, i have been trying to figure out what RN will go with next sunday as pollock has done himself no harm, but do you chuck him in? Doesn't look like mceneff is fancied so seems like a 6 & 8 of halliday, haring & pollock against them. Defo another CM needed unless mceneff can be the player we hoped to sign. Agree with all your other points except cochrane, think he looks solid and dependable on the left, a left sided smith if you will. 

2 hours ago, ExPatTam said:

He’s just been interviewed on Premier sports - he’d rather be drawn away to Celtic that some of the other clubs! 

Why? Can someone explain? 

MUNNY SPINNAAAAAAAA

been here before

Here mods, can we make this shite a sticky so as to save the same thread getting started 3 times a week after every game win, lose or draw?

Save the board getting clogged up with the same bores posting the same stuff week in, week out.

15 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

It's interesting to see the posters that have been noticeable by their absence are suddenly crawling out from under their rocks as soon as a disappointing result happens. 

Yep, it’s sad but not unexpected and all their fingers point at Neilson. 
Yet, he won promotion with what they all said were crap performances. Started this season with the same squad other than the addition of a Brighton reserve player. Won all four LC ties without losing a goal. What more can be expected?  If any finger pointing is to be done, and it’s very early for that, then it should be aimed at the people responsible for signing players not the Head Coach. Performance this season so far have, in my opinion, been much better than last season.  Must be down to the coaching? 

lost in space
10 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

because I’m really not that obsessed with him unlike you. 

If I was to name his first success it’s to play our first 4 competitive games, win them all and not concede. 

Yes, that would be a part success being as it didn't merit the goal of seeding.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

How often do you watch these other teams? Did you tune into any their cup ties this weekend? Or do you only take notice when it matters?

Sorry. There were no comparable teams in the cup this weekend.  Only hibs and Aberdeen have comparable budgets to ours. Both performed far better in midweek than we did today. 

Randy Marsh
19 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

And goes to the rugby when Hearts have an important cup game. 🤣

😐

:lol:  First time I've heard this one.  The plot thickens 

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

4 wins and no goals conceded. We are unseeded because other teams got 3-0 covid wins.  Folk crying about drawing celtic? Absolute shitebags

Something about that doesn't sit right. Teams get 3 points and 3 goals for nothing. How many of them would normally win by 3 goals

I'm not saying they shouldn't be awarded the win, but 2-0 seems a bit fairer on the other teams who actually have to work to win games.

I think it's fair enough to have a go at Neilson for today tbh.  We needed to score 2 goals and win the game, which was hardly a task akin to clearing the Aegean stables.

We had plenty chances to do so, but there were large spells of low-tempo risk averse play and a frankly bizarre 1st half team selection.

We now face a much harder task to get through than we should have if we'd approached the game properly.  

So he's going to get criticism for that and it's hard to say it's undeserved

Jambof3tornado
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yet I watch other teams on similar budgets who move the ball far better, with far more purpose than we do. They pass it and they move, they drive into space when it’s available, they vary the play and go directly when required, they shoot from distance, they widen the pitch, they have players who try and beat people.

Far too much sense in this post!

We could and should have scored more today but to pretend we played really well is crazy.

The ponderous passing along the backline is so easy to defend. With full crowds our players will be feeling the pressure big time in matches.

InternationalJambo

Sorry. There were no comparable teams in the cup this weekend.  Only hibs and Aberdeen have comparable budgets to ours. Both performed far better in midweek than we did today. 

Haha i will give you that one

Mars plastic
3 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I've moved on from that and I'm calling you an abysmal excuse of a Hearts supporter now, FYI. 😊

I could lose daft wee guys like you in hearts. 

45 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

You’re an utter slaver. The type who claps when their plane touches down.  

😂

13 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

He's already a dead duck for a lot of people myself included

So lots of people unwilling to be open-minded? They are not going to be happy. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Far too much sense in this post!

We could and should have scored more today but to pretend we played really well is crazy.

The ponderous passing along the backline is so easy to defend. With full crowds our players will be feeling the pressure big time in matches.

people are now trying to convince us that slow sideways passing is an actual tactic.

zoomers the lot of them - never heard as much shite in my life.  Sounds like international Jambo is involved in some capacity as well lol

Mr Elwood P
11 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Folk on here are only happy when we lose.

They’ve tried their best to convert this 1-0 win into a loss …

part_time_jambo

Who were the seeded teams from the groups? Only Dundee had full points and a better goal difference.

InternationalJambo

people are now trying to convince us that slow sideways passing is an actual tactic.

zoomers the lot of them - never heard as much shite in my life.  Sounds like international Jambo is involved in some capacity as well lol

What would your set up be, and why? 

Edited by InternationalJambo

lost in space
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

It wasn't a loss. It was a failure.

Savage Vince
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

They've tried to convert it into two losses, a 1-0 win and a match that's weeks away. Utter savages. 😁

Jambof3tornado
6 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

You are bang on about midfield, i have been trying to figure out what RN will go with next sunday as pollock has done himself no harm, but do you chuck him in? Doesn't look like mceneff is fancied so seems like a 6 & 8 of halliday, haring & pollock against them. Defo another CM needed unless mceneff can be the player we hoped to sign. Agree with all your other points except cochrane, think he looks solid and dependable on the left, a left sided smith if you will. 

Just think cochrane waited til 70 minutes before going at a man. He looked scared to lose the ball.

Really hoped mceneff was going to come in and run the midfield,box to box but haven't seen it yet.

Pollock I think needs to be used very carefully, 20 to 30 minutes in games, getting thrown in to full matches at tynecastle where the crowd will demand a lot, will not help him develop. 

I actually think Halliday needs to be one of the midfielders starting, with another starter coming in. Clearly Damour is not going to get game time.

Салатные палочки
1 minute ago, part_time_jambo said:

Who were the seeded teams from the groups? Only Dundee had full points and a better goal difference.

St Mirren and Dundee United. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

I will ask you again, what would your set up be, and why? 

the set up is fine. The coaching is bad.

Once again players take the easy sideways pass when there are 30 yards of space in front of them, they pass it and stand still, there is no variation, the movement is shite, we don’t press effectively, we hardly have anyone who will look beat a man or change it up by shooting from distance , we look like we never practice corners, we even look like we have no idea what to do at a throw in.

and out unbelievably predictable tactic of switching wingers at 30 minutes is laughable - every team we face will work on it and prepare for it.

Tonight we inverted the wingers and forced Inverness to narrow it up! That only works of the full back or the wrong backs get beyond which I don’t think they ever did. 

it’s not the system, it’s the application of the system.  Tonight - Jamie walker solved a lot of those problems - we were decent for the last 20. The first 70 we were tragic 

Edited by kingantti1874

20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The plastic boy having an utter meltdown.

😁

Perth to Paisley
1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

playing celtic will show us just how good this squad is or isnt  then we will know even more what is required in this squad  again a new striker and midfield player who can open up defenses with great passing ability is what we all know we need .

I would hate to be on here if hearts get stuffed next week by a few goals .

but when you write hearts off they sometimes surprise you so come on hearts lets ****ing beat the scummy Celtic :rifle:

its a new season so get stuck in :rifle:

👆👆👍

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, lost in space said:

It wasn't a loss. It was a failure.

Pathetic attitude…

RustyRightPeg
14 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Yes, that would be a part success being as it didn't merit the goal of seeding.

We got shafted by the incompetency of those who run our game again. A 3-0 victory for a team who didn't even play a game is wholly unfair on others in the competition and has proved to be completely unfair on us as it's ****ed us over with the draw.

I find it astonishing that you believe he's at fault already this season. We won 1-0 today, which easily should've been 4 or 5. We hit the post and Ridgers had some ridiculous luck from Gnando and Walker. For me, he hasn't done anything wrong all pre season.

He's trimmed our squad and wage bill (as he said he would). He's used the early part of the season to determine which youngsters are ready for first team and those who would benefit from loans. He's been playing a shape which seems to be getting better performances out of our important players and I'll reiterate, we haven't conceded a goal in competitive action yet. 

4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We got shafted by the incompetency of those who run our game again. A 3-0 victory for a team who didn't even play a game is wholly unfair on others in the competition and has proved to be completely unfair on us as it's ****ed us over with the draw.

I find it astonishing that you believe he's at fault already this season. We won 1-0 today, which easily should've been 4 or 5. We hit the post and Ridgers had some ridiculous luck from Gnando and Walker. For me, he hasn't done anything wrong all pre season.

He's trimmed our squad and wage bill (as he said he would). He's used the early part of the season to determine which youngsters are ready for first team and those who would benefit from loans. He's been playing a shape which seems to be getting better performances out of our important players and I'll reiterate, we haven't conceded a goal in competitive action yet. 

Very very good post imo

InternationalJambo
11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the set up is fine. The coaching is bad.

Once again players take the easy sideways pass when there are 30 yards of space in front of them, they pass it and stand still, there is no variation, the movement is shite, we don’t press effectively, we hardly have anyone who will look beat a man or change it up by shooting from distance , we look like we never practice corners, we even look like we have no idea what to do at a throw in.

and out unbelievably predictable tactic of switching wingers at 30 minutes is laughably predictable and something every team we face will work on. Tonight we inverted the wingers and forced Inverness to narrow it up! That only works of the full back or the wrong backs get beyond which I don’t think they ever did.

it’s not the system, it’s the application.  The systems fine. Tonight - Jamie walker solved a lot of those problems - we were decent for the last 20. The first 70 we were tragic 

Easy sideways pass? Completely disagree, we dominated the ball and you'd be hard to find more than 5 occasions in the match where the player took the easy option, as i said earlier we havent fully clicked as a unit yet, this takes time, players WILL be cautious until they click as a unit.

Movement shite? Bollocks. 

Dont press effectively? Bollocks.

Dont have anyone that will beat a man? Bollocks.

Dont look like we practice corners? We were unbelievably unfortunate not to score at the start of the second half, from a corner. Bollocks. 

Inverted the wingers and forced Inverness to narrow up lol you took that right off Premier Sports.. ill ask you again, what would your set up be? & why?

I see your point of view but again i just completely disagree. RN came into a position of picking a team up that had just been demoted, having an over inflated squad with players that were on money they had no right being on. The blame for this lies with CL. It has taken us a season to recover and i think we are getting there. The players that are still here's confidence would have been shot to bits. He has came in and should have done better last season, i dont think anyone is disputing that fact, but he has been on a hiding to nothing from his announcement. There are no excuses for the brora and alloa results last season though, absolutely unacceptable & i wanted him out but carrying this over to this season, where we quite evidently look better is either trolling or a personal agenda. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

lost in space

Pathetic attitude…

Before today, we had qualified. We knew we would be seeded if we won by ANY other score than 1-0.

We had one task today - win by scoring 2 or more goals.

We didn't complete our only task of the day.

We failed.

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Well thats not true. I watched it and Hibs were utter shit against a parttime team from a village half the size of Cove Bay and a fraction the size of Inverness.

Edited by ToqueJambo

I think there is a distrust and dislike of Neilson which isn't going away. These are namely the result of some absolutely shockingly bad results last time round which Brora has reminded folks of. I don't mean distrust in a snakey way, I mean a lack of confidence to achieve big results. First season aside, its not great reading. In terms of dislike, I mean more along the lines of his style of play, last season was brutal to watch and people didn't hire a plane to tell him to piss off for no reason. 

In fairness to him, we've started the group stages pretty well, and despite not having a great defence Gordon is onto his 11th clean sheet? Fair enough the opposition haven't been great, but its impressive nonetheless. We seem to be playing far more attacking football and he did get McGill, Pollock and Hendo reasonable game time towards the end of the season and into the new season. 

I'd like Savage to get some new faces in over the next week. Annoyingly despite the 11 clean sheets, we still don't look hugely comfortable at the back. We really need a left sided CB or another right sided player to account for Souttars fitness. Likewise, watching us attack is frustrating, you can see what we're trying to do now which is great, but we're a cog or two missing from actually executing our plans well. GMS, Gino, Boyce, Walker all look a genuine potent attacking force. Our midfield though... Halliday doesn't look good enough (IMO), McEneff hasn't looked great so far and Harings fitness is an issue too. Pollock looks good but is young so likely will hit peaks and troughs. Would like another similar to Haring. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Before today, we had qualified. We knew we would be seeded if we won by ANY other score than 1-0.

We failed.

We will have to beat Celtic or Rangers at some point to win the League Cup. St Johnstone knocked a much better Rangers team out of the Scottish Cup at Ibrox last season. Celtic look an absolute shambles at the moment. 

Folk have a go at Hearts for being soft and having a losers attitude, the fans tonight have been an absolute embarrassment. Support the team

and stop pishing your pants over a minging Celtic team …

part_time_jambo
18 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

St Mirren and Dundee United. 

Thanks. Same GD as us, but 9-1 to our 8-0. What about Dundee? They had +12 GD.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
10 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

and he’s failed to get us seeded resulting in a trip to parkhead 

part_time_jambo
5 minutes ago, lost in space said:

We failed.

Nothing much has changed since the St Mirren relegation game then.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Easy sideways pass? Completely disagree, we dominated the ball and you'd be hard to find more than 5 occasions in the match where the player took the easy option, as i said earlier we havent fully clicked as a unit yet, this takes time, players WILL be cautious until they click as a unit.

Movement shite? Bollocks. 

Dont press effectively? Bollocks.

Dont have anyone that will beat a man? Bollocks.

Dont look like we practice corners? We were unbelievably unfortunate not to score at the start of the second half, from a corner. Bollocks. 

Inverted the wingers and forced Inverness to narrow up lol you took that right off Premier Sports.. ill ask you again, what would your set up be? & why?

I see your point of view but again i just completely disagree. RN came into a position of picking a team up that had just been demoted, having an over inflated squad with players that were on money they had no right being on. The blame for this lies with CL. It has taken us a season to recover and i think we are getting there. The players that are still here's confidence would have been shot to bits. He has came in and should have done better last season, i dont think anyone is disputing that fact, but he has been on a hiding to nothing from his announcement. There are no excuses for the brora and alloa results last season though, absolutely unacceptable & i wanted him out but carrying this over to this season, where we quite evidently look better is either trolling or a personal agenda. 

well we will just have to agree to disagree.  I have no personal agenda at all.  I defended him hugely until Brora.  But I lost faith and nothing I saw tonight changed my mind.  

I believe he is a man out of his depth and I believe we are throwing another season down the drain. At tynecastle he and the team will have my backing. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

We will have to beat Celtic or Rangers at some point to win the League Cup. St Johnstone knocked a much better Rangers team out of the Scottish Cup at Ibrox last season. Celtic look an absolute shambles at the moment. 

Folk have a go at Hearts for being soft and having a losers attitude, the fans tonight have been an absolute embarrassment. Support the team

and stop pishing your pants over a minging Celtic team …

As always to win in Glasgow teams need a bit of luck but it’s not impossible we can win through there - quite unlikely but possible

before tonight’s game though were people posting about the need not to score too many so we’d have an opportunity to play one of the old firm away in the next round - I didn’t see many if any

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well thats not true. I watched it and Hibs were utter shit against a parttime team from a village half the size of Cove Bay and a fraction the size of Inverness.

youre racking up the posts on a thread u were going to ignore :lol:

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

As always to win in Glasgow teams need a bit of luck but it’s not impossible we can win through there - quite unlikely but possible

before tonight’s game though were people posting about the need not to score too many so we’d have an opportunity to play one of the old firm away in the next round - I didn’t see many if any

Nobody wanted to draw Celtic but we shouldn’t be showing any fear now we have. Get behind the team and see what wee can achieve. This infighting won’t get us anywhere.

Really sick of going over old ground here but I am pretty far from an RN fan, however he IS the manager this season until he otherwise fecks it up, let's at least try to get behind him and the team until that point no?

My expectation is low this season, however he still has targets to meet, for me if we ain't in the top 6 after the first 11 games then he should go, but lets at least back him and hope that he succeeds, turning on him now does absolutely no good to anyone.

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

and he’s failed to get us seeded resulting in a trip to parkhead 

The players on the pitch didn’t score the extra goal we needed today. He’s not playing fifa with a controller in his hand at the side of the park controlling the players FFS. As I said earlier on we had 5 or 6 chances today that on another day would’ve gone in the net.

• JKBMod 6 locked this topic