Darren Jackson

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Turns 55 today.

Read a career bio on another website and noted this part of it.

Jackson's next port of call was rather more to his taste, completing a trio of Edinburgh clubs when agreeing to join boyhood heroes Heart of Midlothian

I've read on here he was a Rangers fan growing up but his Dad was a PHM

Always been a bit of a grey area that.

Hearts mascot in the 70s with JJ.

Hearts fan whilst at Meadowbank, according to a mate of mine who lived close to the Jackson's in Pilrig. 

Hibs fan according to Jackson himself when he signed for them and various other conflicting suggestions.

In all likelihood he probably attended very few games at Tynie or ER as he'd have been playing on Saturday's all through childhood. Young kids with real talent would play two games, apparently: school before noon, BC after.

Certainly brassed me off that it was Hibs, and not Hearts, who signed him in 92.

Very good all round footballer was Darren.

Good signing. Helped drag us out of the shit in 1999 then helped us get into Europe the following season. Worked well with McSwegan.

Game at Pittodrie towards the end of the 99/00 season stands out. Scored a late winner.

37 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A good  player still when he came to us. 

Made a huge difference when he came in. We actually ended that season and started the next quite spectacularly as I recall. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Hearts fan whilst at Meadowbank, according to a mate of mine who lived close to the Jackson's in Pilrig. 

Hibs fan according to Jackson himself when he signed for them and various other conflicting suggestions.

In all likelihood he probably attended very few games at Tynie or ER as he'd have been playing on Saturday's all through childhood. Young kids with real talent would play two games, apparently: school before noon, BC after.

Certainly brassed me off that it was Hibs, and not Hearts, who signed him in 92.

I remember in the build up to the 2012 final he said it was Hibs turn when asked by a reporter.

Have to admit that surprised me when he said that. He was obviously interviewed from a Hibs camp perspective to balance things up.

Wiki also has him down as Hearts as his boyhood heroes.

I would have liked to have seen him come to Hearts from Newcastle with Robbo

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Turns 55 today.

Jackson's next port of call was rather more to his taste, completing a trio of Edinburgh clubs when agreeing to join boyhood heroes Heart of Midlothian

He signed when we were bottom of the league and spiraling down ... he was a huge personality in the dressing room in the remainder of the league games and delivered for us on the pitch helping pull us clear.  He only stopped playing for us when his "appearances"  got close to the threshhold of games in his contract that warranted he be offered an extended contract .....  Sadly he never got to that threshhold. I liked him. 

1 hour ago, Mister T said:

Is there not a clip/photo of him as a mascot running out with the team at Tynecastle? 

I have seen one .put up on here before .. Jim Jefferies was our captain that day

Suspect Device

Played with Darren from about 11 to 17, he wasn't really a 'fan' of anyone, probably would have said Hearts if pushed, his cousin Lawrence Tierney played for us at the time and he wore some of his HMFC kit etc to training....

his dad Adi however was a big Hearts fan  and a really good guy.

Remember meeting him in the Diggers before one midweek derby. He wanted "a pint or two with his own before having to sit with them!"

Always there to support his laddie, whoever he played for, but im sure there wasn't a prouder man than when Darren signed for us 

Darren was a good lad and always up for a laugh... more or less learn to drink with him too... had quite a few nights out in Gatsbys etc back in the 80s 🕺

been here before

Theres the story he gave his dad his Hearts shirt from his debut framed along with a note saying 'dreams do come true Dad' since his old man was such a fan and his son was now Hearts player.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Theres the story he gave his dad his Hearts shirt from his debut framed along with a note saying 'dreams do come true Dad' since his old man was such a fan and his son was now Hearts player.

Whose dream: Father's or son's?

I had a similar dream for Taslad#2: was at Academy for U10s, moved to Livingston for U12s where he scored a hat-trick against Vermin babies.  That was my highlight, I can always say he scored 3 against Hibs.  Subsequently went to US on soccer scholarship.

3 hours ago, martoon said:

My Dad worked beside his Dad, Adam, at the now bulldozed William Thynes factory in Sighthill Ind Estate. 

Around 92 Hearts played Utd at Tynie just as DJ was being touted for a move but he didn’t play that day, just watching. 

My Dad bumped into both of them coming out the game and DJ said he was waiting on an offer from Hearts but Hibs had made a concrete move.

Adam joked that DJs Grandad would turn in his grave if he signed for Hibs. 

Well, he must have done so!

49 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

My Dad worked beside his Dad, Adam, at the now bulldozed William Thynes factory in Sighthill Ind Estate. 

Around 92 Hearts played Utd at Tynie just as DJ was being touted for a move but he didn’t play that day, just watching. 

My Dad bumped into both of them coming out the game and DJ said he was waiting on an offer from Hearts but Hibs had made a concrete move.

Adam joked that DJs Grandad would turn in his grave if he signed for Hibs. 

Well, he must have done so!

Recall we were strongly linked, D4.

That's probably what made it so annoying when he went to them.

Signed during Euro92, iirc.

Never mind. Did us a turn when he did get here.

8 minutes ago, martoon said:

Recall we were strongly linked, D4.

That's probably what made it so annoying when he went to them.

Signed during Euro92, iirc.

Never mind. Did us a turn when he did get here.

👍🏻   He did.  I was at Fester for his goal.

IMO, his celebration wasn’t just from him being and ex Hibs player but I’m sure he was overcome with emotion being a Hearts player and knowing his Dad would be looking on.
🇱🇻

14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

👍🏻   He did.  I was at Fester for his goal.

IMO, his celebration wasn’t just from him being and ex Hibs player but I’m sure he was overcome with emotion being a Hearts player and knowing his Dad would be looking on.
🇱🇻

Least said about the rest of that game the better. 😞

been here before
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Whose dream: Father's or son's?

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Bungalow Bill

Tremendous player for Hearts. Was there not a fall out between JJ and the Pieman over Jackson which caused JJ to walk?

Bungalow Bill
1 minute ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

He was the player you never realised how good he was until he played for us. 

:spoton:

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

He was the player you never realised how good he was until he played for us. 

When he signed for Newcastle from Meadowbank there were a few jokey comments from the fans - probably more to do with signing a player from the mighty Meadowbank Thistle rather than Darren himself, as they wouldn't have even heard of him never mind seen him play.

He won them over though but his days were numbered when Jim Smith took over and he was sold to Dundee United 

Edited by Maroon Sailor

I knew him at primary school, and saw him around quite often when he was a teenager before he started his career.  He wasn’t really that much into watching football compared to playing it if I remember correctly, but he leaned towards Hearts and to a lesser extent Rangers - he’d have got that from his dad, who was the definition of football crazy.

Really excellent wee player even back then, dancing round other kids who were 2, 3, 4+ years older. Took a few sore ones too, but always just moaned a bit then got up and carried on humiliating us 🤣

Fozzyonthefence
10 hours ago, martoon said:

Made a huge difference when he came in. We actually ended that season and started the next quite spectacularly as I recall. 

I’m pretty sure the end of season form that kept us up in 99 after being bottom with 9 or 10 games to go (much of it down to Jackson and a fit again Cameron) would have won us the league the season before!   I’d have taken winning the league in 98 and getting relegated the season after every day of the week over what happened (although I suppose it would’ve been the most embarrassing title defence ever!).

8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’m pretty sure the end of season form that kept us up in 99 after being bottom with 9 or 10 games to go (much of it down to Jackson and a fit again Cameron) would have won us the league the season before!   I’d have taken winning the league in 98 and getting relegated the season after every day of the week over what happened (although I suppose it would’ve been the most embarrassing title defence ever!).

I'd still have taken it, Foz.

1998 double; 1999 relegation?

Not ideal but, aye.

Forever Hearts
21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Turns 55 today.

He was 100% a Rangers fan as a boy. His dad, Adam, was a Hearts fan.  

43 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

He was 100% a Rangers fan as a boy. His dad, Adam, was a Hearts fan.  

Addy also to me this.