Escape To Victory: BBC Article

been here before

been here before

Not sure if this is The Shed or The Terrace. Anyhow it appears that everyones favourite football film, a film so bad its brilliant, is 40 and the BBC have done a bit on the Ipswich players involved.

The most surprising thing is that John Warks lines were dubbed into an "Edinburgh accent". :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-57840345

adambraejambo

I know it totally different but now I going to be thinking about IASIP all day when Charlie finds the box that sweet Dee's grandfather owned. 

Being serious though thanks for the link. I loved that film. 

30 minutes ago, been here before said:

Not sure if this is The Shed or The Terrace. Anyhow it appears that everyones favourite football film, a film so bad its brilliant, is 40 and the BBC have done a bit on the Ipswich players involved.

The most surprising thing is that John Warks lines were dubbed into an "Edinburgh accent". :lol:

Good film but everyones favourite? I think Fever Pitch is better just for catching how it feels to be a football fan.

been here before
11 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Good film but everyones favourite? I think Fever Pitch is better just for catching how it feels to be a football fan.

Escape To Victory is better just for catching how it feels to be a POW playing against a team of Nazi all stars and a biased ref.

A bit like an away day at Ibrox.

been here before
19 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

‘A Captain’s tale’ is the best football film. 

Is that the Denis Waterman thing about the first 'world champions'? West Auckland and the Lipton trophy I think.

I mind watching it years ago. Likely on Youtube, worth watching later.

Edited by been here before

Japan Jambo
48 minutes ago, been here before said:

Escape To Victory is better just for catching how it feels to be a POW playing against a team of Nazi all stars and a biased ref.

🤣

49 minutes ago, been here before said:

:gok:

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Still can’t believe they never brought Wark on when Pele got injured 

Really good article.

Ipswich were a very good side at that point and their players were household names.

FA and UEFA Cup and they really should have won the title in 1981. They were hot favourites when Liverpool inexplicably faded with about 5/6 games to go but they ran out of steam. The UEFA Cup run and 42 match league season stretched their squad too thinly.

Those were the days when English club football was worth watching (albeit rarely live) and there was much to be admired.

Escape...is pretty crap but sort of enjoyable nevertheless. 🤪

Very watchable film.  Easy viewing for a quiet Sunday afternoon🙂

I suppose it’s a bit nostalgic if you were a kid at the time of its release(like myself) and watching it on repeat every 6 months.  😁

2 hours ago, been here before said:

😂

One bank holiday Monday years ago it was on the telly and some wags on here did a match thread for it.

Highly amusing reading it whilst at work.

glynnlondon
2 minutes ago, Boris said:

One bank holiday Monday years ago it was on the telly and some wags on here did a match thread for it.

Highly amusing reading it whilst at work.

Did Sylvester get mom ?

been here before

John Warks finest moment currently on ITV4. Or just started on +1.

Edited by been here before

Bazzas right boot

Just makes me sad we aren't signing Pele types. 

Also, Stallone is a better keeper than JP. 

been here before
9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Just makes me sad we aren't signing Pele types. 

Also, Stallone is a better keeper than JP. 

Michael Caine as he is now is a better keeper than JP.

Savage Vince
9 hours ago, martoon said:

Really good article.

Ipswich were a very good side at that point and their players were household names.

FA and UEFA Cup and they really should have won the title in 1981. They were hot favourites when Liverpool inexplicably faded with about 5/6 games to go but they ran out of steam. The UEFA Cup run and 42 match league season stretched their squad too thinly.

Those were the days when English club football was worth watching (albeit rarely live) and there was much to be admired.

Their UEFA cup final win was a great match. They had an excellent side. 

My half sister

I took my wife on our first date to see this film, she should've realised then what was ahead and bailed out.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, martoon said:

Really good article.

Under the late great Bobby Robson. A manager the England fans and media never deserved or appreciated.

And to think both him and Alex Ferguson could have managed us. Sliding doors moments.

57 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Under the late great Bobby Robson. A manager the England fans and media never deserved or appreciated.

And to think both him and Alex Ferguson could have managed us. Sliding doors moments.

Aye.

Great football man who's treatment, by the press in particular, was appalling. 

Bobby Robson, Hearts manager, would have been fantastic but possibly even shorter lived than Burley.

I'd like to think Ronanov would have shown him the respect he deserved but I have my doubts.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye.

Great football man who's treatment, by the press in particular, was appalling. 

Bobby Robson, Hearts manager, would have been fantastic but possibly even shorter lived than Burley.

I'd like to think Ronanov would have shown him the respect he deserved but I have my doubts.

He knows about owners who do their own thing having worked under Nunez, so he might have played Romanov better than Burley did. And he would have known how to sustain the title challenge. The players and Scottish media would have loved him as well - he was a bit of a cuddly JJ figure it's hard to dislike. Ah what could have been!