*** Official Heart Of Midlothian versus Inverness Caledonian Thistle match thread ***

cookieboy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Hearts007

• Cruyff

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair. 

We also need to get out home form back, something badly lacking last few seasons. 

We do seem pedestrian at times, but the difference was that yesterday we had some end product and created good chances. 

It was a theme at the Euros as well Tbh. 

At the higher level keeping the ball is more important as if you just launch it and give it away then the teams will hurt us more. 

So our possession game will benefit us more than last season imo. 

Funnily enough, given our Cup efforts, particularly the lc in general, Ayr away or Celtic away -  it makes little difference to my confidence on getting through. 

In England, they say if you havent broken through in 4 passes, chances of scoring diminishes greatly. Teams in modern day football tend to get compact very quickly. 

So I agree we need to pass quickly to score, but its really not that easy a thing to do, far easier to get compact more quickly, where I think some of our contributors are getting disappointed

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Point taken, mate.

You are in the same boat as me. Probably haven't read enough o your previous posts to realise.

My point is there are several on the back RN to the hilt, purely trolling the disbelievers.

Tosh & ToqueJambo to name two worst culprits.

It’s all right mate there’s that much pish on here it’s easy to just skim.

I agree that both sides don’t help. There needs to be repercussions for not performing but there also needs to be an acceptance that we’ve won each game and not conceded, so it’s not as doom and gloom as some make out.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

In England, they say if you havent broken through in 4 passes, chances of scoring diminishes greatly. Teams in modern day football tend to get compact very quickly. 

So I agree we need to pass quickly to score, but its really not that easy a thing to do, far easier to get compact more quickly, where I think some of our contributors are getting disappointed

Correct. 

But as we seen last season we were breaking through in the second half having the ball does eventually tire the opposition out( or bore them into submission).

Yesterday we had 3/4 occasions were I thought we were slow but then we quickened it up in the final 3rd and got a shot away or a cross in. 

Much better than last season were we seemed to run out of ideas, sometimes not even testing the opposition keeper in the first half. 

Also Yesterday imo Inverness done absolutely nothing in the 2nd half, we completely bossed it. 

It was like a training match, they just sat in and kicked the ball away after looking dangerous on the counter in the first half. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

The objective yesterday was to win and score a minimum of 2 goals.

The oblective wasn't made, however, as RN was not on the park missing the chances, he can be exonorated to an extent.

A poster nailed it last night, final sub was a straight swap when an attacker for defender was worth trying.

But that s Mr Cautious through and through.

I honestly think he was happy to win 1-0 and also happy we got Celtic as that way we won’t give him a hard time when we go out. 
If we had pulled a lesser team and went out then he gets pelters again 

IfI mind right at the end we even ran it into the corners and there was no urgency in last 10 mins 

As has been said a million times he’s a dead man walking as after a couple of defeats the protests will start up again and god help him if we lose to hibs 

24 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Going to make an assumption he has been struggling and shown up by the impressive Pollock

With injury or ability?

34 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Let's calm down, we have played no team that we should not be beating.

Please crow if we start the league campaign looking solid and convincing.

I certainly want that and will give RN further support in that this transfer window has not helped him in anyway.

I just wish I could understand what our strategy is, it's far from convincing.

As Hearts fans we all want us to be beating teams and where possible play attractive attacking football.

We have basically the same squad as last season after all the departures and Robbie is still experimenting.

WTF is that all about surely he knows what system he wants to play by now and if his players can fit in with that.

If not then play to their strengths. It's not difficult but he makes it seem complicated.

Play players in their natural positions to get the best out of them.

If we ever sign any players he will no doubt have to muck about changing the lineups again to try and fit them in.

Edited by wavydavy

McGlynn The Money
16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

As in the 5-0 defeat before the 2-0 QF win.

As in the 5-0 defeat at Celtic Park when Gary Hooper scores all five? 

Both in the Romanov era.

Correct.

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Using the logic of the rabid Brigade, Celtic is a fee hit.

They expect us to beat every team with a lesser budget and ones that we dwarf by lots of goals, so if celtic smash us they'll accept that based on the same principle. 

I do consider the game against Celtic a free hit in the sense the emotional side of me will be disappointed if we lose, but the rational side of me won't be at all surprised and for the time being games against the Old Firm aren't what I'll be judging our performance on.

But the flip side to your logic must apply to all those who were defending our failure to get seeded yesterday and arguing that Celtic wasn't a bad draw, that those suggesting it was are just fearties, and most amazingly that drawing Celtic away didn't diminish our chances of winning the cup. For those posters, the logic must be that a game against Celtic is the same as every other game and we should expect them to be as critical of a defeat to Celtic next week as they would be of a defeat at Home to Hamilton. In reality we know that won't be there response, which is why defending yesterday's failure to score the required 2 goals comes across as so ridiculous to some of us.

McGlynn The Money
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Using the logic of the rabid Brigade, Celtic is a fee hit.

They expect us to beat every team with a lesser budget and ones that we dwarf by lots of goals, so if celtic smash us they'll accept that based on the same principle. 

Missing the point (again) and putting words in people's mouths (again).

Lord Beni of Gorgie
56 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

With injury or ability?

Or maybe the other form. I think he has ability, just a guess, maybe just hasnt settled, young upstart come in and confidence knocked a bit. I really like the look of Pollock though, signing him for years might be the best bit of business we do this window.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I do consider the game against Celtic a free hit in the sense the emotional side of me will be disappointed if we lose, but the rational side of me won't be at all surprised and for the time being games against the Old Firm aren't what I'll be judging our performance on.

But the flip side to your logic must apply to all those who were defending our failure to get seeded yesterday and arguing that Celtic wasn't a bad draw, that those suggesting it was are just fearties, and most amazingly that drawing Celtic away didn't diminish our chances of winning the cup. For those posters, the logic must be that a game against Celtic is the same as every other game and we should expect them to be as critical of a defeat to Celtic next week as they would be of a defeat at Home to Hamilton. In reality we know that won't be there response, which is why defending yesterday's failure to score the required 2 goals comes across as so ridiculous to some of us.

Anyone in doubt should listen to Chris Sutton post match, he nailed it. Kidology from Neilson, whilst at the same time, not really the draw Celtic would have liked right now either. When arch cynic Sutton decides to talk Hearts up, you know we have done ok, but like most sensible people are suggesting, there is no strength in depth. We are at the moment reliant on good fortune to players health and form.

JKB doesnt run on sensibilities however, it runs on extreme opinions, either way

15 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Missing the point (again) and putting words in people's mouths (again).

He never fails to amaze, am thinking he has lost it.

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

For me it's not, football isn't played on a spreadsheet like many on here think. 

If we got hammered I'd be disappointed despite the gulf in finances. 

Every Hearts fan wanted us to be seeded, but we weren't. 

The reaction on here after a game in which we won and  clearly had enough chances to score 2 is / was ridiculous.

Not to mention the default 3-0 wins of other clubs putting them above us as well. 

My point was Many on here expect Hearts to hammer every team with a lower budget ( despite no history of ever doing that consistently) but at the same time will expect us to match celtic and rangers at home. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

So...first time on for a few days and yesterday's game. 

I wonder if the players were aware that we needed to win by more than one goal or if Neilson just thought it would happen anyway. We went back to a defensive side-to-side style again with a lack of movement at times. Saw Smith and others a few times with their arms out asking for someone to give them an option to pass to. Don't get me wrong, their keeper pulled off two or three good saves but for me, any manager worth his salt should go into every game thinking that the opposition goalkeeper will make two or three good saves in any game, no matter the opposition and field a team that will create eight or nine decent chances so that the two or three good saves don't matter. It gives the manager the perfect excuse where he can say we should've won more but their keeper made some good saves. 

I've watched all the League Cup games this season and it seems pretty obvious to me where we are lacking within the team. Halkett and Kingsley as a central defensive duo last night? We've needed one and now two centre-halves (with Berra gone) yet still this issue hasn't been addressed. At the other end...i wouldn't rely on Gnanduillet to get amongst the goals this season. A few here and there maybe but we are pretty dire upfront with only Boyce as our main striker (and Naismith retired) so this is something else that needs sorted. I've heard in recent weeks Neilson is yet again looking at midfielders and another right-back. C'mon....get the priorities right! 

Back to the main point of last nights game. Maybe if another striker had been brought in to score by now we would've been seeded. At full-time i said we'd probably end up with one of the old firm and bang....Celtic at Parkheid. To me this is a slap in the puss or maybe even a wake-up call to all connected with recruitment. Neilson, Savage and whoever else...it's finger oot the erse time, go and get the players needed to solve where we lack and stop fannying about looking at more midfielders and fekin right-backs.

36 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Or maybe the other form. I think he has ability, just a guess, maybe just hasnt settled, young upstart come in and confidence knocked a bit. I really like the look of Pollock though, signing him for years might be the best bit of business we do this window.

Seems a bit strange to me that McAneff hasn't reallt been given much of a chance to settle by giving him a run of games.

Pollock looks good but then so did Harry Cochrane.

No good giving these young lads a few pre-season games and then forgetting about them as has happend to a few.

I know Robbie has said that he was considering putting him out on loan but has now said he thinks he will keep him.

Hopefully that means he will get game time and allowed to develop.

I wonder if we get a new midfielder that might change.

1 hour ago, theshed said:

I honestly think he was happy to win 1-0 and also happy we got Celtic as that way we won’t give him a hard time when we go out. 
If we had pulled a lesser team and went out then he gets pelters again 

IfI mind right at the end we even ran it into the corners and there was no urgency in last 10 mins 

As has been said a million times he’s a dead man walking as after a couple of defeats the protests will start up again and god help him if we lose to hibs 

Jesus ****

29 minutes ago, jambonian said:

So...first time on for a few days and yesterday's game. 

I wonder if the players were aware that we needed to win by more than one goal or if Neilson just thought it would happen anyway. We went back to a defensive side-to-side style again with a lack of movement at times. Saw Smith and others a few times with their arms out asking for someone to give them an option to pass to. Don't get me wrong, their keeper pulled off two or three good saves but for me, any manager worth his salt should go into every game thinking that the opposition goalkeeper will make two or three good saves in any game, no matter the opposition and field a team that will create eight or nine decent chances so that the two or three good saves don't matter. It gives the manager the perfect excuse where he can say we should've won more but their keeper made some good saves. 

I've watched all the League Cup games this season and it seems pretty obvious to me where we are lacking within the team. Halkett and Kingsley as a central defensive duo last night? We've needed one and now two centre-halves (with Berra gone) yet still this issue hasn't been addressed. At the other end...i wouldn't rely on Gnanduillet to get amongst the goals this season. A few here and there maybe but we are pretty dire upfront with only Boyce as our main striker (and Naismith retired) so this is something else that needs sorted. I've heard in recent weeks Neilson is yet again looking at midfielders and another right-back. C'mon....get the priorities right! 

Back to the main point of last nights game. Maybe if another striker had been brought in to score by now we would've been seeded. At full-time i said we'd probably end up with one of the old firm and bang....Celtic at Parkheid. To me this is a slap in the puss or maybe even a wake-up call to all connected with recruitment. Neilson, Savage and whoever else...it's finger oot the erse time, go and get the players needed to solve where we lack and stop fannying about looking at more midfielders and fekin right-backs.

That is Robbie trying out his tactics for the Celtic game.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
47 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Seems a bit strange to me that McAneff hasn't reallt been given much of a chance to settle by giving him a run of games.

Pollock looks good but then so did Harry Cochrane.

No good giving these young lads a few pre-season games and then forgetting about them as has happend to a few.

I know Robbie has said that he was considering putting him out on loan but has now said he thinks he will keep him.

Hopefully that means he will get game time and allowed to develop.

I wonder if we get a new midfielder that might change.

Be a tough ask for a 17 year old to play 40 games, but if he got 15 - 20 games and maybe 5 - 10 subs would be great, but then it needs to be on merit, right now he is there absolutely on merit. This guy just looks so much more physically mature, I am quietly confident, but with these kids you dont get them for long before someone snaffles them

maroonlegions

Seen nothing in these games to suggest  that we are any different from last season.  That is a worry. Still believe that Nelson is NOT the man to take us forward. One dimensional and offers nothing as a plan "b"...  Would not be surprised if Pollock went out on loan either.

Hope i am wrong.   

Edited by maroonlegions

2 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

He lost it years ago! 🤣

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Seen nothing in these games to suggest  that we are any different from last season.  That is a worry. Still believe that Nelson is NOT the man to take us forward. One dimensional and offers nothing as a plan "b"...  Would not be surprised if Pollock went out on loan either.

Hope i am wrong.   

Do you mean winning games and not conceding many goals. Both good habits to get into 

Jambo in Yorkshire

The only target the team had last night was to to score 2 or more goals and win. We had already qualified so winning     2-1 or 5-4 was far more important than keeping a clean sheet.

At half time we didn’t change anything, when we brought on 2 subs it’s like for like. Walker/Pollock and Haring/Halliday

We bring on one of our quickest players with 5 mins to go.

Surely this was one game we could throw caution to the wind? Some managers might even have subbed our keeper towards the end!

The bottom line target was missed by a lack of positive input by the manager, if he couldn’t take a risk in this game  when on earth would he? He seemed happy with 1-0 and a clean sheet, that will be perfect this Saturday but it fell short last night.

Edited by Jambo in Yorkshire

McGlynn The Money
4 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

He'll use any excuse to troll any Hearts fan who's not head over heels in love with Robbie.

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Be a tough ask for a 17 year old to play 40 games, but if he got 15 - 20 games and maybe 5 - 10 subs would be great, but then it needs to be on merit, right now he is there absolutely on merit. This guy just looks so much more physically mature, I am quietly confident, but with these kids you dont get them for long before someone snaffles them

Any young player needs to be managed correctly and you don;t want to burn him out.

I would very much doubt he will start that many games and when he does he will be unlikley to play the 90 minutes.

Good prospect though at the moment.

4 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Seen nothing in these games to suggest  that we are any different from last season. 

Absolutely correct. We are great at back passing but hopeless at scoring. The saves that the ICT goalie made were ones that we would expect CG to make comfortably. Gnando in particular is way off the pace and incapable of scoring good chances. Duku looked a far better player.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
52 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Absolutely correct. We are great at back passing but hopeless at scoring. The saves that the ICT goalie made were ones that we would expect CG to make comfortably. Gnando in particular is way off the pace and incapable of scoring good chances. Duku looked a far better player.

Yeah, even when he shanked it into the stand, doubt Gnando could have managed that 

Aussie Jambo
16 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Bit harsh. We have plenty of players of SPL quality and to pick out a player - Popescu - who is not a starter is unfair. 

For me, it’s the midfield that needs attention. We need someone who can pull the strings and make things happen in the final third. 

Agreed about midfield. Certainly seems to be very lapsed. 

Popesku is shite Nookie. 😂😂Whether he was playing or not.

What I was saying is what changes would you make to our team considering we’ve not got many new players. I’m again saying we won’t fair well with our current championship team. We do need new players. midfield and up front for sure. Need a Skacel/Robbo type up front. An out & out goalscorer. Our midfield really needs a shake up. A centre midfielder to boss defence & forwards. That is a gimme. 

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Agreed about midfield. Certainly seems to be very lapsed. 

Popesku is shite Nookie. 😂😂Whether he was playing or not.

What I was saying is what changes would you make to our team considering we’ve not got many new players. I’m again saying we won’t fair well with our current championship team. We do need new players. midfield and up front for sure. Need a Skacel/Robbo type up front. An out & out goalscorer. Our midfield really needs a shake up. A centre midfielder to boss defence & forwards. That is a gimme. 

Need a solid centre half, a midfielder who can link midfield and attack and i think a striker who is happy to 'work the channels' and create space for Boyce (who, i believe, can score a lot of goals if he keeps in central, attacking, areas and not dropping back like a cut-price Harry Kane)

Japan Jambo
16 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Hope i am wrong.   

That would be mental, quite rightly keeping McEneff out of the first team and has shown as much as any so far this term. Pollock is young and will get rested, not convinced McEneff will seize his chance so it could be quite a pivotal season for Finlay. Would be a terrible advert to any youngster thinking about joining the Hearts youth set up if he was farmed out now.

Aussie Jambo
On 27/07/2021 at 17:38, Nookie Bear said:

Need a solid centre half, a midfielder who can link midfield and attack and i think a striker who is happy to 'work the channels' and create space for Boyce (who, i believe, can score a lot of goals if he keeps in central, attacking, areas and not dropping back like a cut-price Harry Kane)

My thoughts exactly. We’re in dire need. But doesn’t look like we’re buying anymore players. 

maroonlegions
On 26/07/2021 at 18:06, The Treasurer said:

Do you mean winning games and not conceding many goals. Both good habits to get into 

More about performances, tactics. We will face better teams in the SPL to.  

Aussie Jambo
On 27/07/2021 at 17:38, Nookie Bear said:

They must have been reading JKB Nookie. 😂😂 Apparently a great centre midfielder. My mates a toffee fan and rates him highly. Couldn’t get a game. But 4  x €20m+ Centre Midfield players will do that.