Craig Gordon. (Delete if Necessary)

SuperstarSteve

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, superjack said:

Goram was an amazing shot stopper, but, IMO, that was it. Also, when at the huns, just look at the state of him, supposedly an athlete. 

I was talking about this last week with a mate, to me he is the beat scottish keeper produced in my time. My dad thinks he agrees, he cant remember who else he is thinking of though.

So, so wrong there mate.

An exceptional goalkeeper who was very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Something CG has never been.

Had Villa won the race for Craig then he could have had a very different career, from the 07-08 season Villa had a run of 3 consecutive 6th place finishes and european football. Playing in that side V Sunderland would no doubt have gotten Craig a much bigger move.

Edited by Ribble

2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Best goalkeeper I have ever seen, in his prime at circa 22/23 years old I genuinely believed he could have gone on to play for a Man Utd or even a Barca or Real, I think it was reported that Fergie was trying to sign him for utd just before he had his fracture at sunderland. Anyway he is a top guy and jambo legend.

Yeah 100% agree with this Liverpool and Man Utd were looking at him when at Sunderland then got the injury  Liverpool then singed Mingolet . It proved how good Craig was Chelsea opened talks with him a few seasons back about singing him would of been a number 2 but they must of still had him as a top keeper. 

He played for Celtic it was his job no other club was offering him a contract or the money they did if I was in that position would I sign for Celtic absolutely yes! He is a Hearts fan and a legend I really hope we can win a cup when he is captain and he leads up the boys up the steps at hampden  I'd even take a league cup win. 

upgotheheads
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I thought it was Stenhousemuir. He still gives me the jitters when I think about him. 😄

Was there another one called Wilson around that time? 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

He was before Dunlop but almost as bad iirc. Him and Kenny Garland occasionally kept Cruikie out. 🙁

1 hour ago, sjh1874 said:

As good as Craig is and he is very good, Niemi was the best i've seen in a Hearts shirt

I’m split 50/50 with them there’s very little to choose between them. How we got Niemi is still a mystery to me I couldn’t believe it when he signed for us. One things for sure Gordon is a far better keeper than David Marshall.

49 minutes ago, drumie jambo said:

I only watch Hearts and Fulham so not interested in other teams.

Yes there have been some very good keepers over the years but that doesn't mean I'm biased. 

Niemi,Gordon and Cruickshank are the best I've seen. 

PS. I don't even watch Scotland which was a decision made way back when various Hearts players didn't get picked because they didn't play for one of the Old Squirm despite being far better.

Wow!!  Never watched a world cup, Euro's finals or a champion's league final? That's impressive, a bit insular but impressive.

Robbo-Jambo

The best goalie I have ever seen in a Hearts jersey including the likes of Jim Cruickshank.

Would absolutely love him to lift a trophy as Captain as the pain in his eyes after that penalty shoot out was there for all to see. 🙁

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

I always preferred Leighton to Goram. Think there was a west coast bias at the time when comparing them. They would always prefer a rangers keeper to an Aberdeen one

In my opinion, Goram is the best and was better than Leighton even when he (Goram) was at Hibs and Leighton was at Man Utd. Leighton cost us qualification from group in 1990 and played a huge part in the Morocco fiasco in 1998 when Goram should have played both. No surprise Euro 96 was our best performance in a finals in an era that we had decent squads. 
Gordon is probably the 2nd best Scotland keeper behind Goram. 2 x shutouts v France isn’t too shabby. 
As for Walter Smith (mentioned earlier in thread) his first act as Scotland manager was to drop Craig Gordon for a half fit Rab Douglas in Milan. The most overrated Scotland manager ever (lost to Belarus at home, iirc) 

Auldbenches
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd grudgingly argue McGregor is the better atm. 

He's made some outstanding saves in Europe over the past few years. 

Basically doing the same as Gordon but at a higher level. 

As you say, could make the case for either tho. 

If you look at when Gordon was first here ant Neimi's time here, who do you think was better in the period they were here?  I can't separate them. 

I remember being surprised at how good Niemi was when he came here.

Gordon's triple save v sparta is the best I've seen from a hearts keeper.  

Goran v Crabbe the best against us.

Jambo_jim2001

He might have wore green at one time,but he is maroon underneath,every bit as good as goram,i was gutted when we sold him,thats what we need more players that play for the badge with pride,true jambo through and through

ToadKiller Dog

If Craig hadn't had his injuries he would have had well over 100 caps ,and been at a top English club for a long time ,I know Wenger was always praising him .

Jyst coming back from those injuries took strength .

I dont think Goram would have made Gordon's best saves ,but what Goram had which stood him out was an intimidation factor ,strikers where shit scared of him .

Also Goram played cricket and was a good batsman that would have improved his hand to eye co ordination no end .

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

So, so wrong there mate.

Fair point, it was a wee while ago so memory a bit hazy. As you said, CG wasn't that great with the ball at his feet but you can see he has worked a lot on that and there is a massive Improvement. 

At their peak, who would you choose? To be fair, it is close. Not sure if it's my maroon vision, but I would choose big Craig. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, sjh1874 said:

As good as Craig is and he is very good, Niemi was the best i've seen in a Hearts shirt

Nut. Still think Craig 2005-07 edges it. 

But we are very fortunate to have had both. If either keeper had been between the sticks in 2019-20 we would have finished top 6.  Even Niemi today would have been a huge upgrade

drumie jambo
55 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Wow!!  Never watched a world cup, Euro's finals or a champion's league final? That's impressive, a bit insular but impressive.

That's an offensive comment you've just made. Sport in general isn't the be all and end all you know. There are far more important things going on in many people's lives like losing family members or losing your job and not being able to afford things that some people take for granted. 

I await your apology.

Tommy Brown
14 minutes ago, superjack said:

Fair point, it was a wee while ago so memory a bit hazy. As you said, CG wasn't that great with the ball at his feet but you can see he has worked a lot on that and there is a massive Improvement. 

At their peak, who would you choose? To be fair, it is close. Not sure if it's my maroon vision, but I would choose big Craig. 

I'm a huge Goram fan and as a poster said earlier, I argued at the time that he was better than Schmichael.

I spent a lot of time with him one night, he scoffed at that as he hadnt played in a WC, neither did George Best was my reply.

I found him good company but thick and very blue nosed.

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

McGregor, Goram and Klos were all / are all brilliant. 

Gordon is right up there. 

McGregor imo is slightly Better now than Gordon but I think Gordon was better than him earlier on. 

Goram defied the laws of physics at tines with saves. 

Niemi was also brilliant. 

I can't think of 5 better keepers in the UK in my lifetime. 

My mate who occasionally posts on here has always argued that Niemi wasn't even in his top 5. Niemi, Cruicky and Gordon for me are the greatest in my lifetime.

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Marvin said:

My mate who occasionally posts on here has always argued that Niemi wasn't even in his top 5. Niemi, Cruicky and Gordon for me are the greatest in my lifetime.

Loved Niemi and also thought he was better than CG. But CG career has spanned out so well and could easily see another 5 yrs

25 minutes ago, drumie jambo said:

That's an offensive comment you've just made. Sport in general isn't the be all and end all you know. There are far more important things going on in many people's lives like losing family members or losing your job and not being able to afford things that some people take for granted. 

I await your apology.

Offensive? Apology? You'll have a long wait I'm afraid.

Actually can't think of anything else to say to be honest.

:cornette_dog:

John Findlay
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Yes Brian Wilson played in 1977. From Dundee. His son is a guard on the trains for Scotrail.

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Adam's goal? I thought he was unlucky with that. Amoruso absolutely sold the jerseys and it was a powerful volley. He got a hand to it and if it hadn't have been such a good shot he would have kept it out. 

Craig would have saved it!

50 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm a huge Goram fan and as a poster said earlier, I argued at the time that he was better than Schmichael.

I spent a lot of time with him one night, he scoffed at that as he hadnt played in a WC, neither did George Best was my reply.

I found him good company but thick and very blue nosed.

I spent a few hours with him one night. Me and a few mates were in the rutland and I noticed him next to me at the bar. Started blethering with him, told him I was a Jambo and he did laugh. Anyway, thevcrack was good until 1 of my mates started ripping into him big style, we were quite pissed by then. My mate went too far and goram was about to leather him, had to drag my mate out of the bar. I went back in to apologise for him, again he was sound with me and bought me a parting double dram.

3 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

What did Gordon do wrong when playing for Celtic at tynecastle? 

A bit uncalled for gamesmanship and over reaction to some things just like me on this post.He just acted to celticy for me.Unlike Sir Paul

Auld Reekin'

I hope it'll never be necessary to delete Craig Gordon.   :thumbsup:

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

We have had some cracking keepers at Hearts in my 30 years it will be very hard for anyone to come close to Craig Gordon for me maybe in 40 years time Craig Gordon will be my Cruickshank and another superstar will of played for Hearts between the sticks. 

29 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

A bit uncalled for gamesmanship and over reaction to some things just like me on this post.He just acted to celticy for me.Unlike Sir Paul

Absolute pathetic! What about the time when Celtic scored and he was sitting on the bench ? they all jumped up celebrating the goal and Craig was sitting in the dugout ? 

Robbo-Jambo
22 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Absolute pathetic! What about the time when Celtic scored and he was sitting on the bench ? they all jumped up celebrating the goal and Craig was sitting in the dugout ? 

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks he has genuine feelings for that mob is way off the mark. 

He was there to pick up a healthy wage in a short career.

6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks he has genuine feelings for that mob is way off the mark. 

He was there to pick up a healthy wage in a short career.

Some people think once a player comes out and knowing to be a Hearts fan you cannot play for anyone else or they assume they have feelings towards them even if they are a rival and folk cannot stomach it.  Craig will have some sort of feeling towards them because he was their for 6 seasons the fans loved him and he would of made friends their THAT does not make him less of a Hearts fan It was his job. 

And who really cares ? I have no connection to him apart from him playing for Hearts some folk get too attached to players thinking they know them personally and have to know their personal life its the world we live in now and its horrible. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

So, so wrong there mate.

Got to say you’re so wrong there. 

Craig is actually very capable with the ball at his feet. It’s a Celticy myth that he isn’t. It stems from Brendan Rodgers wanting his goalie to ping passes like Xavi which is impossible for any goalie. 

Take McGregor for instance, he has never been accused of having poor distribution but that’s because he’s never been asked to be a daft sweeper keeper. Craig is just as good as him if not better. 

Gordon, for me, is the best keeper we’ve ever had (never saw Cruickshank play, mind). Wins it by a nose from Niemi (who was amazing, but Craig won us a cup in the Gretna shootout and gets extra points for that).

For Scotland, I think Goram just shades it.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Yes Brian Wilson played in 1977. From Dundee. His son is a guard on the trains for Scotrail.

Later than I thought then. The old memory not what it was. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Some people think once a player comes out and knowing to be a Hearts fan you cannot play for anyone else or they assume they have feelings towards them even if they are a rival and folk cannot stomach it.  Craig will have some sort of feeling towards them because he was their for 6 seasons the fans loved him and he would of made friends their THAT does not make him less of a Hearts fan It was his job. 

And who really cares ? I have no connection to him apart from him playing for Hearts some folk get too attached to players thinking they know them personally and have to know their personal life its the world we live in now and its horrible. 

The good thing is that he has now played more games ( over two spells ) for us than Celtic. 

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

6 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

For me, the greatest I've ever seen is Cruickshank, but Craig Gordon is as close as I've seen

Same for me 👍

CG and AN joint second. 

We've been blessed over the years with some excellent keepers. 

Gordon Marshall was my hero when I was first taken to see the Hearts, he made his debut at 17/18yo and held the gloves until his transfer to Newcastle and then Crooky proved even better. 

Smoked-Glass

Am glad he had his bad spell while at Satan's XI. In 2017 I thought he was looking ropey.. And that 2-2 draw with England was a nightmare. 

He's turned himself around. 

This was a good thread and I unfortunately made a mess of it by not making my point clear.Please get it back on track guys and apologies to the OP

Jambo 4 Ever
20 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

It may be a biased opinion as I grew up watching him.

I can’t say he’s the best having missed Gorman but he is the best Scottish goalkeeper of his generation no doubt about it, in his prime was leaps and bounds ahead of Marshall and McGregor before his injury problems. 

Walter smith was picking Gordon ahead of McGregor which for me speaks volumes. Also Buffon said he one of the best in the world 😂.

Personally I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves, in general not from us the hearts fans as majority love him. 

Anyway as recently appointed captain, lifelong fan and cup winning legend he will adore the maroon more than the filthy green of Celtic by the end of this season and I’m overjoyed at the thought. 

Would love for him to lift a trophy before he retires. I feel that deserves a thread and apologies if there already is one

I actually remember a few years ago saying on here that we should sign him … and got laughed off by some on here- saying I was backwards thinking and he was passed it etc etc

oh how wrong they were!

Craig Gordon's fans stretch far and wide. 

Speaking with many friends in LA who play football seriously and have not connection to Scotland or its clubs; as soon as you mention Hearts they dive in on Gordon's skills rating him the best in Britain (Dean Henderson is another name that kept cropping up whilst at Sheffield Utd, he's incredible). Really makes you proud when you hear conversation like that about in passing, without any intent. 

And I've said it before on these board, his save against Partick Thistle in the Vlad season (SFA Cup Quarter Final) was Gordon Banks level - all the away fans applauded him. Its not in this footage but worth watching for the memories. 

SuperstarSteve
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I actually remember a few years ago saying on here that we should sign him … and got laughed off by some on here- saying I was backwards thinking and he was passed it etc etc

oh how wrong they were!

I suppose quite a few would have thought he was past his best due to injury troubles but even a past his best Craig  gordon is the best keeper we’ve had since we had a prime Craig gordon.
Granted MacDonald and Kello were decent enough and McLaughlin was superb in his only season here, none come close to Craig. Nobody in his generation does as much as McGregor is the inform keeper now. Put the best versions against each other and it’s not debatable for me.

One of my jambo mates and two of my Celtic mates think that McGregor is far better than gordon. 

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of course but I’d only understand that from a rangers point of view. 

Seriously… how can 3 people who have watched gordon in the flesh season after season say McGregor is better having probably seen him a handful of times? 
I find that bonkers and feel the media really do dictate peoples opinions more often than not. 

A true gem of a player

his mere existence guarantees us top six regardless of the defence in front of him

20 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The 70s and early 80s was a great era for goalkeepers in England. I could add Jim Platt, Peter Fox and Paul Cooper to this list.

I'd add Neville Southall to that list albeit later in 80s.

John Findlay
58 minutes ago, EH11 said:

Who can forget Bruce Grobbelar after Clemence at Liverpool

1 hour ago, EH11 said:

I'd add him too - he had techniques that influenced generations of goalkeepers that followed. 

His best ever save can be found here, against Tottenham. I watched this as a wee kid over and over again, trying to work out how reflexes could be so fast.