Rough cost of decking supplied and installed

hmfcbilly

Hi folks, I'm looking to get a ground level deck installed to finish off a bit of our garden. It would measure 16.25 so metres so not a huge area. In the past, I've had a builder neighbour make and set a frame and I've done the boards myself. Lack of time due to family issues meant I contacted a local guy for a quote. He's just come back with a figure just shy of £2.5k supplied and installed. That works out around £150 which seems quite excessive to me. To put into perspective, I got materials needed for a 20 sq metre deck in May last year from my local mkm and I paid about £600. Have material costs really went up so much in just over a year or is this guy stretching out a fairly simple job in to practically a weeks work? 

There's a decking thread every month on here! 

My usual comment - don't get a wooden deck.

Get composite decking since it doesn't need to be maintained.

Wooden decks need to be treated yearly and people eventually get lazy and don't bother - it gets damaged easily and will rot over time. 

nb. For costs - wooden decking has gone up in price as the price of lumber has gone up significantly. 

1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

Hi folks, I'm looking to get a ground level deck installed to finish off a bit of our garden. It would measure 16.25 so metres so not a huge area. In the past, I've had a builder neighbour make and set a frame and I've done the boards myself. Lack of time due to family issues meant I contacted a local guy for a quote. He's just come back with a figure just shy of £2.5k supplied and installed. That works out around £150 which seems quite excessive to me. To put into perspective, I got materials needed for a 20 sq metre deck in May last year from my local mkm and I paid about £600. Have material costs really went up so much in just over a year or is this guy stretching out a fairly simple job in to practically a weeks work? 

I decked an area the same size as that, Billy, and paid £650 for materials. That was this year.
£1900 is excessive for a job that took me two days. Not helping you, mate, but must be a better quote out there.

Edited by Boab

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

I decked an area the same size as that, Billy, and paid £650 for materials. That was this year.
£1900 is excessive for a job that took me two days. Not helping you, mate, but must be a better quote out there.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, cheers Boab. I know materials have went up in cost but didn't think THAT much! For me  the boy is obviously looking to string it out but, like you say, 2 days work.

2 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, cheers Boab. I know materials have went up in cost but didn't think THAT much! For me  the boy is obviously looking to string it out but, like you say, 2 days work.

No worries, mate. Must be a joiner out there that would be interested if the materials were on site. Hope you get a deal. 👍

Konrad von Carstein
41 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

There's a decking thread every month on here! 

My usual comment - don't get a wooden deck.

Get composite decking since it doesn't need to be maintained.

Wooden decks need to be treated yearly and people eventually get lazy and don't bother - it gets damaged easily and will rot over time. 

nb. For costs - wooden decking has gone up in price as the price of lumber has gone up significantly. 

Out of interest,  what is the cost variance of composite vs timber deck?

Heard somewhere +50%?

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Out of interest,  what is the cost variance of composite vs timber deck?

Heard somewhere +50%?

All depends on what you want to spend. Total cop out of an answer but there's cheap decking, expensive decking and the same can apply for composite examples. 

If you want a deck to last you really need to spend the time cleaning/preparing it and then painting it with non slip deck paint every 12-18months. When it's warm like now - what the one thing you don't want to be doing ?

With the cost of maintenance (if you do it right) - you'll start to eat into the savings made by going with wood. You also need to factor in how much you value your own time. 

I have wooden decking (installed by previous owner) and it's a pain. I plan on replacing it.

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

All depends on what you want to spend. Total cop out of an answer but there's cheap decking, expensive decking and the same can apply for composite examples. 

If you want a deck to last you really need to spend the time cleaning/preparing it and then painting it with non slip deck paint every 12-18months. When it's warm like now - what the one thing you don't want to be doing ?

With the cost of maintenance (if you do it right) - you'll start to eat into the savings made by going with wood. You also need to factor in how much you value your own time. 

I have wooden decking (installed by previous owner) and it's a pain. I plan on replacing it.

Thanks for the reply, we are planning 2 fairly large decks one each in our front and back gardens...however we are only planning being here for anther 4 to 5 years... So was curious as to costs.

14 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thanks for the reply, we are planning 2 fairly large decks one each in our front and back gardens...however we are only planning being here for anther 4 to 5 years... So was curious as to costs.

Yeah - so feck the next owners. :lol:

Just treat/paint it before the sale so it doesn't look sh*t

Konrad von Carstein
27 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Yeah - so feck the next owners. :lol:

Just treat/paint it before the sale so it doesn't look sh*t

:lol: