Kingsley/ Cochrane

Saint Jambo

Saint Jambo

Does anyone else think we might be better swapping Kingsley and Cochrane around in our 3-4-3 formation?

Last year I thought Kingsley was defensively a bit suspect with dubious positioning at times, but offered something going forward. While my mate observed that Cochrane doesn't seem to have a lot of pace. When Cochrane signed we were told he could play on the left side of a back three. Is that a change worth trying?

20 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Does anyone else think we might be better swapping Kingsley and Cochrane around in our 3-4-3 formation?

Last year I thought Kingsley was defensively a bit suspect with dubious positioning at times, but offered something going forward. While my mate observed that Cochrane doesn't seem to have a lot of pace. When Cochrane signed we were told he could play on the left side of a back three. Is that a change worth trying?

Might be worth a try, we have a dead rubber against ICT so nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

Cochrane has clearly been brought in as back up to Kingsley and Stephen will be our first choice LWB. However, both Kingsley and Cochrane's contracts expire at the end of this season and we may view Alex as a replacement if SK were to move on. 

The only reason Kingsley is playing LCB is an obvious one, we don't have a natural LCB and he is experienced enough to play there. He has also just come back from injury and maybe playing LCB isn't as strenuous as playing LWB at the moment. 

IMO I believe that the plan will be to sign a first choice RWB. M. Smith will play RCB/RB, Soapy will move centrally and we will sign a left footed LCB with Kingsley moving back to his natural position. That is genuinely what I believe/hope will happen. 

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Cochrane has clearly been brought in as back up to Kingsley and Stephen will be our first choice LWB. However, both Kingsley and Cochrane's contracts expire at the end of this season and we may view Alex as a replacement if SK were to move on. 

The only reason Kingsley is playing LCB is an obvious one, we don't have a natural LCB and he is experienced enough to play there. He has also just come back from injury and maybe playing LCB isn't as strenuous as playing LWB at the moment. 

IMO I believe that the plan will be to sign a first choice RWB. M. Smith will play RCB/RB, Soapy will move centrally and we will sign a left footed LCB with Kingsley moving back to his natural position. That is genuinely what I believe/hope will happen. 

It's what needs to happen because the defence isn't settled and it's a couple of quality signings away from being acceptable IMO.

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Michael Smith has always looked decent at CB to me. I hope this is the plan and we see it soon. 

David McCaig
31 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Michael Smith has always looked decent at CB to me. I hope this is the plan and we see it soon. 

The problem is that we have no other option at RB/RWB at present which is why we are trying to convert Conor Smith into the RWB role.

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

The problem is that we have no other option at RB/RWB at present which is why we are trying to convert Conor Smith into the RWB role.

I commented on one of the matchday threads that I'd like to see Conor given more game time. He looked good when he came on against Cove (I think it was Cove). As far as Michael Smith is concerned, I'd be more than happy to see a defence of M Smith, Souttar and a new signing. 

kingantti1874

Would agree. Prefer smith at CB. Not convinced he has the legs to get forward and back at Rb against the better teams 

It’s a shame we don’t have any wingers who aren’t making the cut anymore. A lot of them can be moved back - thinking like Ashley Young. Would solve our RWB conundrum! 

Leveins Battalion

I like Kingsley but I am amazed that he ended up in the EPL,not got great pace and technically quite awkward.

will do for us though.👍

7 hours ago, RobNox said:

Might be worth a try, we have a dead rubber against ICT so nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

Not a dead rubber yet, although we have qualified. Only the best 3 group winners are seeded for the next round. There are currently 5 other teams with a 100% record as well, so to be seeded (alongside the 5 teams in Europe) we would almost certainly have to beat ICT, with goal difference possibly coming into it also. 

I don’t think Kingsley should be getting a game.

At times he struggled last season when he played against any player with pace.

Gave away too many penalties when caught out of position.  

Will struggle against better players…very much the weak link in the team.

11 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I don’t think Kingsley should be getting a game.

At times he struggled last season when he played against any player with pace.

Gave away too many penalties when caught out of position.  

Will struggle against better players…very much the weak link in the team.

Absolute bunkum 

18 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Got a feeling Halliday will end up playing most of the games at LWB probably the steadiest of the three 

Only if we get another couple of midfielders in will that happen.

Howdy Doody Jambo
9 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Just don't see Robbie keeping the same 3-4-3 formation once the league games start he will chop and change like the weather game to game sometimes 2 and 3 time's during the 90 minutes, I'm sure they will be swapped around throughout the season, they both seem to be of good quality and only just starting to build up an understanding which will take time to improve 

Kidd’s Boots
9 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

I'm hoping that with more game time, match fitness and building up an understanding with Cochrane they will be interchangeable. My concern with Kingsley last night, and when he played last season was his distribution was sometime suspect leaving us exposed. Got away with it last season, but this season might be a different story.

Kingsley needs to up his game no doubt about it. He’s one of them that looks to do the bare minimum. As in run forward with the ball 15 yards, turn and pass it back 20 yards. Think he has the quality but needs a kick up the arse.

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Kingsley needs to up his game no doubt about it. He’s one of them that looks to do the bare minimum. As in run forward with the ball 15 yards, turn and pass it back 20 yards. Think he has the quality but needs a kick up the arse.

There was a lot of square and back-passing last season, not just from Kingsley.

Maybe that's because that is how Neilson told the team to play against the many packed defences they encountered.

I'm quite happy with that, because it obviously worked and we won the league comfortably.

Watching the Euros, almost every team played from the back, and for most teams that meant playing the ball around in their own penalty area now that the goal kick law allows this, like Raith Rovers do but without the mistakes. It also meant playing the ball backwards when things got congested. I frequently wondered what reception these (top) teams would have got from a growling Tynecastle crowd. Come on Italy, get it up the park, Mancini out now, etc. 

18 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Maybe that's because that is how Neilson told the team to play against the many packed defences they encountered.

I'm quite happy with that, because it obviously worked and we won the league comfortably.

Watching the Euros, almost every team played from the back, and for most teams that meant playing the ball around in their own penalty area now that the goal kick law allows this, like Raith Rovers do but without the mistakes. It also meant playing the ball backwards when things got congested. I frequently wondered what reception these (top) teams would have got from a growling Tynecastle crowd. Come on Italy, get it up the park, Mancini out now, etc. 

I get that but there are still 3 or 4 players that more or less play within themselves. When there’s an opportunity to burst forward 20 yards with the ball, most times they will elect to turn and play it back. Smith is another who does it. It’s only frustrating because those two have the quality to make things happen. 

Our goal kicks are going to be hard to watch at times this season. Centre halfs passing to the goalkeeper etc. Robbie has been watching too many Euro games!

12 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I get that but there are still 3 or 4 players that more or less play within themselves. When there’s an opportunity to burst forward 20 yards with the ball, most times they will elect to turn and play it back. Smith is another who does it. It’s only frustrating because those two have the quality to make things happen. 

Our goal kicks are going to be hard to watch at times this season. Centre halfs passing to the goalkeeper etc. Robbie has been watching too many Euro games!

My take is that Smith started playing more cautiously when he was playing in a back three with a wing back in front of him to do the bursting forward.

When playing in traditional right back role in a back four, he'd have had more freedom to burst forward.

I don't think that Smith plays within himself - he gives all he's got.

Not sure yet about Cochrane. He looked a bit lost against Sunderland and doesn't seem to be assertive enough.

But Cochrane offers more going forward which is a key reason to use him as wing back. I thought his delivery and positioning in attack against Cove Rangers was good. 

6 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Absolute bunkum 

Lets see how the season goes. Feel pretty confident it wont work out for Kingsley.  Would be very happy if proved wrong.

16 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Lets see how the season goes. Feel pretty confident it wont work out for Kingsley.  Would be very happy if proved wrong.

Kingsley struggles defensively against better players and looks like he plays within himself against the smaller teams , he’s definitely not a CB , we were all very happy to have someone on the left as it was a prob position ,he’s here til the end of the season and the tactics are what they are ??? I’m on the same page he won’t be here past this season 

10 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Looks decent anywhere to be honest 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

It didn’t really work last season though, we were awful in many games playing slow possession football against a packed defence. 
The idea is if you have to go back is to go out the other side. Halkett seems incapable of this and just goes back to where it came from. 
As for Italy they have world class players like Jorginho pulling the strings whereas we have Halliday. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, DS98 said:

Spot on, not taking enough risks and getting forward, just keep possession but do nothing with it. Playing like they have the shackles on to use the term Roberts said. 

Kingsley looked very good first couple of games but is the definition of beige these days. You forget he’s there 

NotTheHoople
8 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Yeah, would have been interesting to see how that panned out!

However, difficult to compare the domestic game with Euro2020 (or 2021??) as national teams were allowed a lot of leeway to play out. The demands of the domestic season for 2020/21 meant a lot of players were fatigued and, allied to the limited practice time, most sides didn’t attempt a high pressing game.

For what it worth, I thought that led to entertaining, constructive passing football as opposed to the rigorous domestic pressing matches which can sometimes be a slog when both sides play that way.

14 hours ago, NotTheHoople said:

Yeah, would have been interesting to see how that panned out!

However, difficult to compare the domestic game with Euro2020 (or 2021??) as national teams were allowed a lot of leeway to play out. The demands of the domestic season for 2020/21 meant a lot of players were fatigued and, allied to the limited practice time, most sides didn’t attempt a high pressing game.

For what it worth, I thought that led to entertaining, constructive passing football as opposed to the rigorous domestic pressing matches which can sometimes be a slog when both sides play that way.

Interesting interpretation. Certainly, the quality of the passing was a bit different from what we're used to.