John Millar

LeftBack

1 hour ago, Hectormasson said:

Was that the 1-1 v hibs on a Wednesday night ?they were one up,  shed erupted, mind a found a fiver on the deck.once we settled 🤣🤣

Aye.

Postponed New Year game.

I think it was postponed again a few days later then played about another week after that.

Big relief when John got the equaliser and the celebrations in the shed were epic.

Sadly, I lost £5 during the celebrations that night but it was worth it. 😊

2 hours ago, Satsumo said:

I remember seeing him in pre season maybe versus Blackburn.

Wasn’t impressed but he was a superb player for us as time went on. Wasnt he signed near the time Baird was?

Aye.

Baird, Millar and a lad called Sharples. 

There was also a John Colquhoun replacement but he was no replacement whatsoever and his name escapes me right now. 😄

Edit: something Penney.

Further edit: Steve.

Thank goodness. The brain still works. 😄

Edited by martoon

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I remember that night. It was strange to think that the shed would be no more. 

Aye.

The last 20k+ attendance at Tynecastle, I believe.

Hectormasson
18 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye.

Postponed New Year game.

I think it was postponed again a few days later then played about another week after that.

Big relief when John got the equaliser and the celebrations in the shed were epic.

Iou.....🤣🤣🤣

Hectormasson
8 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye.

The last 20k+ attendance at Tynecastle, I believe.

Think it was 22k plus

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

Think it was 22k plus

Aye.

I think the postponement(s) probably added a fair bit to the attendance when it was eventually played.

2 minutes ago, dannymack said:

John Millar 

gettyimages-1158414822-1024x1024.jpg

john-millar-footballer-born-1966-f2996f13-3f38-4688-a5b9-39352433d19-resize-750.jpeg

Ability, strength and a great left foot. 

Hectormasson
5 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye.

I think the postponement(s) probably added a fair bit to the attendance when it was eventually played.

It was over 24.000 🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

It was over 24.000 🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

👍

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

Thanks for that reminder, to easy to forget we split the old firm that season. 

Joe Jordan

image.thumb.png.1df1abbfe5282e744093088135b9570b.png

👍🏻90 points in new money although we played 6 more games that season. 

Even if you want to knock off 6 wins it’s an impressive 72 points. 

11 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Solid player. Worked hard. Not exceptional on the ball.
Fine timing of runs into the box and a good finisher.

Dundee Utd in the cup stands out.

Overall Done a decent job.

Seemed a good lad.

Remember that header and the brilliant set piece for the goal. So simple but so effective that was 

12 hours ago, jbee647 said:

A player who was absolutely hounded by the fans in his first few months at Hearts, but he turned it round and was a good solid midfielder for Hearts for a few years 

if we’d had JKB back then John Millar would have been forever written off as  a dud by many on here

Went to Raith Rovers as part of the Colin Cameron transfer 

I never knew that .. I do know that JJ tried to buy Stevie Crawford as well and Raith were keen to sell both to us but the board didnt feel we could afford both.  I liked John Millar although Mickey Cameron was most definately a like for like upgrade

7 hours ago, martoon said:

Aye.

Postponed New Year game.

Yes - game was postponed twice IIRC due to a frozen pitch. Over 24,000 there that night and I seem to recall that was the game that made it 20 in a row.

John Millar was a really good player for us. Brilliant at making those late runs into the box and a very good finisher.

11 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

As my post above

Haha the old snack bar with McDonalds logo above it, that's always tickled me

15 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Just listening to Pat Nevins autobiography and didn't realise how good mates they were or that John was highly rated at Chelsea (albeit in their wilderness years). Always stuck a quid on JM fgs and he won me a few back. Decent player. 

Me too, always got a fair price on JM too. 

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Anyone got footage of the goal v Hibs 

One of the loudest roars ever at Tynie 

3 hours ago, stirlo said:

Yes - game was postponed twice IIRC due to a frozen pitch. Over 24,000 there that night and I seem to recall that was the game that made it 20 in a row.

John Millar was a really good player for us. Brilliant at making those late runs into the box and a very good finisher.

👍

13 hours ago, Deodato said:

Thanks for that reminder, to easy to forget we split the old firm that season. 

Joe Jordan

image.thumb.png.1df1abbfe5282e744093088135b9570b.png

It was a totally unexpected 0-4 defeat at Tynecastle to Aberdeen in January 1992 that knocked the stuffing out of the team. Our record up until then was played 28 W20, D6, L2 GD +25. From that game onwards it was P16, W7, D3, L6 with a goal difference of -3 over those games.

We'd won 2-1 at Parkhead in the previous game.

https://londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201111.html

Edited by Martin_T

27 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

It was a totally unexpected 0-4 defeat at Tynecastle to Aberdeen in January 1992 that knocked the stuffing out of the team. Our record up until then was played 28 W20, D6, L2 GD +25. From that game onwards it was P16, W7, D3, L6 with a goal difference of -3 over those games.

We'd won 2-1 at Parkhead in the previous game.

https://londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201111.html

Shell-shocked that day.

Aberdeen were a decent side but no one could have forseen the way they sliced through our defence. Particularly the second half at the school end.

Eoin Jess was awfy pleased with himself that afternoon.

We did lose top spot that day but only on gd. It did completely knock the wind out of us though as you suggest. Forget the order but we lost to Airdrie and Rangers in the next two leaguue games and that was that.

Iirc, Joe Jordan has begged Mercer to let him bring 2 quality players in January to maintain the title challenge but there was no money. 

Looking back now we did very well to lead the league and, thereafter, stay within 5/6 points of a big spending Rangers. We were the only threat to them.

1 hour ago, martoon said:

Shell-shocked that day.

Aberdeen were a decent side but no one could have forseen the way they sliced through our defence. Particularly the second half at the school end.

Eoin Jess was awfy pleased with himself that afternoon.

We did lose top spot that day but only on gd. It did completely knock the wind out of us though as you suggest. Forget the order but we lost to Airdrie and Rangers in the next two leaguue games and that was that.

Iirc, Joe Jordan has begged Mercer to let him bring 2 quality players in January to maintain the title challenge but there was no money. 

Looking back now we did very well to lead the league and, thereafter, stay within 5/6 points of a big spending Rangers. We were the only threat to them.

Our record up until that game was brilliant. I was in the Panini family enclosure in the main stand, with my dad for the game and must have felt it coming because I feigned illness at half time so that we would have to leave early.

If we'd held on and won the title, it could have been Hearts and not Rangers, facing Leeds in the Champions League 'Battle of Britain' the following season.

48 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Our record up until that game was brilliant. I was in the Panini family enclosure in the main stand, with my dad for the game and must have felt it coming because I feigned illness at half time so that we would have to leave early.

If we'd held on and won the title, it could have been Hearts and not Rangers, facing Leeds in the Champions League 'Battle of Britain' the following season.

Our away record was was top notch as well.

Had a wee look thru our results and position from that Aberdeen defeat and we stayed within 4/5 points of Rangers until late March. The 2-1 win at ER, coupled with their defeat by Celtic, put us in with an outside chance with 7/8 games left.

Who knows if Jordan's hoped for additions would have made a difference.

44 games was quite a slog, though. The previous season Aberdeen took Rangers down to a last day decider over 36 games. We were level with Rangers after 28 in 91/92 and may have been able to do likewise with just 8 games left.

Sadly, 16 remaining was always going to be a stretch too far.