John Millar

LeftBack

Just listening to Pat Nevins autobiography and didn't realise how good mates they were or that John was highly rated at Chelsea (albeit in their wilderness years). Always stuck a quid on JM fgs and he won me a few back. Decent player. 

A player who was absolutely hounded by the fans in his first few months at Hearts, but he turned it round and was a good solid midfielder for Hearts for a few years 

if we’d had JKB back then John Millar would have been forever written off as  a dud by many on here

Went to Raith Rovers as part of the Colin Cameron transfer 

2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

A player who was absolutely hounded by the fans in his first few months at Hearts, but he turned it round and was a good solid midfielder for Hearts for a few years 

if we’d had JKB back then John Millar would have been forever written off as  a dud by many on here

Terrible bit of business 😉

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

legend has it players have only been hounded since post-Romanov entitlement set-in

he did struggle initially but as you say a very solid player for us for a number of years - also turned-up in the old firm games which even top players at non-old firm clubs don’t always manage

HillmanHearts

Solid player. Worked hard. Not exceptional on the ball.
Fine timing of runs into the box and a good finisher.

Dundee Utd in the cup stands out.

Overall Done a decent job.

Seemed a good lad.

vlad on the tyne

Great in the air. He was chronic the first few months but became a good player in a pretty shit team. 

As others have said, average at first but proved to be a reasonable player. 

Played in the 91-92 runners up season. 

I always mind being a young lad at tynie and two women shouting in unison ‘john millar sex on legs’. It’s always stick with me 

He got sent off against Rangers when he wasn’t playing well, & I’m pretty sure he was cheered off -we thought that would be the end of him. 
To be fair, he worked hard & started contributing to the team & became a real asset.

Think he might have managed to score without even kicking the ball - did he come on as a sub, (maybe against Dundee??) and score with his first touch which was a header up the school end? Memory a bit hazy sorry, possibly around 1990ish. 

5 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

I always mind being a young lad at tynie and two women shouting in unison ‘john millar sex on legs’. It’s always stick with me 

Not so sure about that but I do remember he was a hard laddie 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Jim Bett didn't need to run with John Millar beside him, suited the system well. 

An absurd season of ridiculous highs and lows nothing in between 

Салатные палочки
15 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

He apparently had a third leg if the rumours are to be believed! 

Thought he was a solid player for us who scored some great goals. I remember his quickfire double v. Dundee United in the SC quarter final. Not much difference between both goals. 

Heart skipped a beat and my stomach churned when I read the thread title.

Ffs.

John was bloody awful on his debut at Dunfermline. Looked liked I would if I was suddenly dropped into an American football, rugby or cricket field during a game.

Feckin hopeless. The game passed him by, although we did win 2-1. 

We kept winning that season, top of the league for 4 months and John got better with every game.

Posted it before but he was, for me, the best midfielder Hearts had during his stay (1991-96). 

Loved a goal, especially against Hibs, and got Heart of Midlothian 100%.

Still think JJ was a bit hasty in letting John go before the window slammed shut in March 1996 (old school).

One of the best, and probably last, shed celebrations was when JM bulleted that header into the Hibs net in January 1994. Kept the unbeaten run going.

Limbs, mayhem...a fantastic last hurrah in the shed.

FTH

Scored the second goal at darkheid in a 2-1 win, just after Scott Crabbe had scored a great first, carnage following both goals

1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Just listening to Pat Nevins autobiography and didn't realise how good mates they were or that John was highly rated at Chelsea (albeit in their wilderness years). Always stuck a quid on JM fgs and he won me a few back. Decent player. 

I remember a story that, as young players on tour together at Chelsea, they both wandered a bit too far into, and got lost, in downtown Baghdad.

Scariest moment of Millar's life until his first coach ride down Easter Road. 😊

3 minutes ago, Boghell51 said:

Scored the second goal at darkheid in a 2-1 win, just after Scott Crabbe had scored a great first, carnage following both goals

A fantastic 2/3 mins.

Honestly thought we could win the title after that game.

Well, for a week anyway.

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

I remember a story that, as young players on tour together at Chelsea, they both wandered a bit too far into, and got lost, in downtown Baghdad.

Scariest moment of Millar's life until his first coach ride down Easter Road. 😊

Aye he tells that story! 

17 minutes ago, Boghell51 said:

One of my best ever away days. Ended up 20 yards from where I was standing after both goals.

Also, learned the words to Derrys walls that day 😳

34 minutes ago, Boghell51 said:

This is what springs to mind for me when I hear the name John Millar.  What a day 

14 minutes ago, Gorgie Montclair. said:

This a piss take?

Why would you think that?

By the way, your English is absolutely appalling.  👀

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Him and Stevie Frail were the only players who thrived under Podgy Hands.

We played DU at Tyney in a SC tie live on BBC. Hearts got a free kick on the right just outside their box.

Turned to my mate in the pub, Scored from here recently, Frail takes free kick to back post and John Millar heads home.

My looked astonished as it happened.:lol:

Good thing about it being on TV was when you seen how clever JM was in his run to the back post. Starting at the penalty spotand looking round to the back post.

51 minutes ago, martoon said:

Ffs.

John was bloody awful on his debut at Dunfermline. Looked liked I would if I was suddenly dropped into an American football, rugby or cricket field during a game.

We kept winning that season, top of the league for 4 months and John got better with every game.

Posted it before but he was, for me, the best midfielder Hearts had during his stay (1991-96). 

Still think JJ was a bit hasty in letting John go before the window slammed shut in March 1996 (old school).

One of the best, and probably last, shed celebrations was when JM bulleted that header into the Hibs net in January 1994. Kept the unbeaten run going.

FTH

I remember seeing him in pre season maybe versus Blackburn.

Wasn’t impressed but he was a superb player for us as time went on. Wasnt he signed near the time Baird was?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jamboy1982 said:

Longest in the showers apparently 😱🍆

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Why would you think that?

By the way, your English is absolutely appalling.  👀

It’s laughable mate.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Ffs.

FTH

I remember that night. It was strange to think that the shed would be no more. 

bigsuperslim1874

One of my favourite players growing up. As many have said - loved a goal vs the Hobos but chipped in with a few other important ones too.

Borders Jambo

Loved John Millar, another v underrated player.

We obviously did superbly well out of the transfer to Raith with Mickey Cameron coming to us but I wish we had kept JM. 

I felt the same when Scott Crabbe was transferred.  Another what could have been player for us in my eyes.

Watching that great video above and seeing David Hagen - proud of my team for the MND link up  

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Ffs.

FTH

Was that the 1-1 v hibs on a Wednesday night ?they were one up,  shed erupted, mind a found a fiver on the deck.once we settled 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

As others have said, average at first but proved to be a reasonable player. 

Played in the 91-92 runners up season. 

Thanks for that reminder, to easy to forget we split the old firm that season. 

Joe Jordan

image.thumb.png.1df1abbfe5282e744093088135b9570b.png

I loved Johnny Millar. A very decent player for us. Came on a free from Blackburn IIRC and was a very decent addition. That goal at Parkhead 🇱🇻👍🇱🇻 What scenes. I really believed that day we were going to go on and win the league. Of course that went south quickly after that game but he was a very good player for us and he loved the club. Very fond memories 

19 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Thanks for that reminder, to easy to forget we split the old firm that season. 

Joe Jordan

image.thumb.png.1df1abbfe5282e744093088135b9570b.png

Semi final loss to Airdrie on penalties put a downer on end to that season, especially as we were robbed in 1st game, always remember John scoring winner at Falkirk early that season, possibly his 1st goal for us

Kalamazoo Jambo

Loved his goal threat from midfield. I remember worrying where midfield goals would come from when he left, but shouldn’t have, given who came to us as part of the same deal.

Really struggled when he first came but turned out to be a terrific player for us. He was fantastic in the air.