Squad Transformation

rudiatemyhamster

rudiatemyhamster

Looking at the the differences between the 19/20 and the 21/22 squads and the difference is remarkable.

The 19/20 squad has to be my least favourite hearts team.  

Liking the feel of the team this year.  

Touche Neilson 😊

Tommy Brown

Its keeping the 4 key players fit that may proove difficult.

If they had been available all last season, we could have been looking to add more quality this season.

We have brought in only one new player....on loan, when everyone was saying that last season's team was a short term fix aimed at gaining promotion, with big changes need if we are to do anything this season. Have I missed something?

kingantti1874

According to Chris Suttonthis was the same team that went down! Really ?

Gordon

Kingsley 

Cochrane 

GMS

Ginelly

Mceneff

Halliday

Gnando

in addition Haring and Souttar basically didn’t feature, Boyce had only played about 6 league game's

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Gordon

Kingsley 

Cochrane 

GMS

Ginelly

Mceneff

Halliday

Gnando

in addition Haring and Souttar basically didn’t feature, Boyce had only played about 6 league game's

Sutton’s an arsehole. No fewer than 7 players in Tuesdays starting line up weren’t even at the club in the season we were demoted. 

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Gordon

Kingsley 

Cochrane 

GMS

Ginelly

Mceneff

Halliday

Gnando

Chris Sutton follows the Pierce Morgan approach of blasting out with unproven rubbish until something eventually sticks.  They know quite well what they are doing.

Guest ToqueJambo
46 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Chris Sutton follows the Pierce Morgan approach of blasting out with unproven rubbish until something eventually sticks.  They know quite well what they are doing.

A paid troll basically

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Gordon

Kingsley 

Cochrane 

GMS

Ginelly

Mceneff

Halliday

Gnando

Chris Sutton is a slavering arsehole, who shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the airwaves.

He’s only interested in trying to wind people up.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, henryheart said:

We have brought in only one new player....on loan, when everyone was saying that last season's team was a short term fix aimed at gaining promotion, with big changes need if we are to do anything this season. Have I missed something?

Nope, you are quite right.

Need new faces in before the SPL starts but not holding my breath 😏

1 hour ago, henryheart said:

Pretty much. I thought we’d be getting players in early to hit SPL with everyone up to speed.

I certainly can’t see a transformation. We’re a couple of injuries away from last seasons squad

fabienleclerq

Honestly not sure this team is an improvement tbh. Pedestrian in possession and a formation that tge way we play becomes five at the back quite quickly losing the midfield. We also still look susceptible to long balls still. 

10 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Honestly not sure this team is an improvement tbh. Pedestrian in possession and a formation that tge way we play becomes five at the back quite quickly losing the midfield. We also still look susceptible to long balls still. 

Still need a better RB/RWB to whatever system we play, also. 

fabienleclerq
14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Said the same today, I like Smith but he's primarily a defender. We just don't have the players to play this formation well. 

I felt they waltzed through the middle easy, and a long ball causes us no end of issues. Given the league we are in that's a disaster waiting to happen. 

21 hours ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Looking at the the differences between the 19/20 and the 21/22 squads and the difference is remarkable.

Touche Neilson 😊

The truth is, from last season's squad, we've let circa 10 go, Naismith has retired & we've brought in another team's Academy left back. 

That's a cull, not a transformation. New blood required in defence, midfield & attack - and quickly! 

King Of The Cat Cafe
7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

A paid troll basically

Is that the another way as saying" an empty pitcher makes the most noise"?

Too early to tell how well the team will do this year, signs are encouraging…looking more direct…squad depth looks poor and we need a goal scorer.

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Correct. If we're playing with a back 3 our wing backs need to provide a proper attacking threat. 

Leveins Battalion

The squad is not great,Popescu,Damour,Robert's and possibly Walker are definitely 3 /4 wages we could do with getting off the wage bill.

We need an upgrade on Halkett,2 x CM,a 3rd winger and another striker.

Jury is out on McEneff but I think he has quality if used right.

For me as it stands we need to replace Berra, Irving, Naismith and Shay Logan with better players. If we don’t then we’re weaker than we were last season 

avhudtheteeshirt
11 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not a fan of the 343.

It is an attacking formation and stops the other teams wing backs pushing forward, we still need to tighten up at the back, to many long balls catching us out!!!

12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not a fan of the 343.

Not with what we have at centre back I wouldn’t say. Everywhere else it looks the way to go for me as long as we keep in game rotation in Attack and wide areas

7 hours ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

It is an attacking formation and stops the other teams wing backs pushing forward, we still need to tighten up at the back, to many long balls catching us out!!!

I’m a bit nonplussed as to how long balls seem to cause us problems. We’re playing with three central defenders, it should be THE attacking threat we deal with easily. 

6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Not with what we have at centre back I wouldn’t say. Everywhere else it looks the way to go for me as long as we keep in game rotation in Attack and wide areas

433 or 424 for me 👍

Can play either at home. 

433 away from home gives you an extra man in midfield if you want more security away from home. 

4141 against the teams that are more dangerous. 

343 only suits if the team you are playing plays with two strikers, if the team don't play with two strikers. 

A lot of the time you have a man back, that could be used further forward. 

alwaysthereinspirit
On 17/07/2021 at 08:44, kingantti1874 said:

Gordon

Kingsley 

Cochrane 

GMS

Ginelly

Mceneff

Halliday

Gnando

Sutton is Scottish football punditry in a nutshell. Amateur hour. Just make up stuff and hope no one fact checks. We really are a joke as a footballing nation. The Newco/Celtic connection never helps us (non lovers) when it comes to unbiased reporting on Scottish football. I try as much as possible not to read or listen to them. Not an easy feat.

Auld Reekin'
On 17/07/2021 at 00:23, rudiatemyhamster said:

Touche Neilson 😊

Optimism is a good thing - and is probably essential for a non-ersecheek Scottish supporter - but for me it's far too early to judge whether things have changed sufficiently from last season to be hugely upbeat yet about the coming season. As others have said, there does seem to be a change in approach and formation so far which is welcome, but I found last season and Neilson's efforts at "management" so utterly dispiriting that I'll certainly take a great deal more convincing. That said, there do seem to be things happening behind the scenes which should help us move forward and progress in a much more convincing and professional manner. I certainly hope we do.

As ever, though, only time will tell. Signing the right players in certain key positions will definitely help however!  :thumbsup:

Auld Reekin'
18 minutes ago, Rods said:

I am quitely confident we can be top four this year.

I would love to see us lift the league cup.

I really admire your optimism!   :icon14:

Edited by Auld Reekin'

44 minutes ago, Rods said:

I am quitely confident we can be top four this year.

I would love to see us lift the league cup.

At best we’re an unknown quantity. We don’t look hugely better than the team that got demoted. But the returning injured players and the odd addition between now and whenever might make the difference between top six and bottom six

At worst we’ve got the same old issues that have plagued us for 5 years. Not solid enough at the back. Not hugely creative in midfield. We don’t have a lot of goals in us. Little pace in team and a manager clearly out of his depth at the top level.

I’m fairly confident we won’t be relegated. Our track record strongly suggests we’ll be out of the league cup by the quarter final stage.

When the season starts and we start playing the Motherwells and the Livingstons you’ll be able to put a gauge pretty quickly on where we are. Having any level of confidence about ANYTHING at this stage isn’t really confidence. It’s hopeful wishful thinking.

I am happy with the spine of the team (Gordon, Souttar, Haring, Boyce/Gnando but apart from that, **** me - how can people be optimistic about the squad?

Our squad is threadbare and very weak.  We will having injuries as per usual and our discipline under Neilson last time in the Premier League was deplorable, so suspensions will be constant.

Unless you are the bigot twins this league is very hard and the step up between where we were last season and this season is huge.

There is nothing to suggest we will make a dent this season.

We have no decent youth players, apart from Gino our wingers are pish, we have no real fight in midfield and our full backs are weak.

Walker is the only real game changer and even then he is so inconsistent.

GMS will be good every now and again and uttter dug shite for most of the season.

I know I am not 'Mr Bright sunshine' at the best of times but **** me - how are people seeing this any other way.

gordiegords

Got to say I’m a tad worried about this squad, albeit I haven’t seen use play the last few games, however, one player in 🤷🏽‍♂️, 2 weeks before we play Celtic, I really hope we have an influx of quality who are ready to hit the ground running.

I await us signing a couple of guys in a couple of weeks and Robbie giving it the “the new guys need time” chat. 😠 

gordiegords
49 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I am happy with the spine of the team (Gordon, Souttar, Haring, Boyce/Gnando but apart from that, **** me - how can people be optimistic about the squad?

Our squad is threadbare and very weak.  We will having injuries as per usual and our discipline under Neilson last time in the Premier League was deplorable, so suspensions will be constant.

Unless you are the bigot twins this league is very hard and the step up between where we were last season and this season is huge.

We have no decent youth players, apart from Gino our wingers are pish, we have no real fight in midfield and our full backs are weak.

GMS will be good every now and again and uttter dug shite for most of the season.

I know I am not 'Mr Bright sunshine' at the best of times but **** me - how are people seeing this any other way.

Got to agree tbh

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I won't go through your whole post, we have differing views on where the team is... but the part about the step up between the championship and the premiership being huge is wrong. The bottom six of the spl and the top five or six teams in the championship are on par with each other. Both are heavy shite.

2 minutes ago, marcus said:

I won't go through your whole post, we have differing views on where the team is... but the part about the step up between the championship and the premiership being huge is wrong. The bottom six of the spl and the top five or six teams in the championship are on par with each other. Both are heavy shite.

Over 38 games it is huge imo.  You can also take the play off games.  Only 3 teams I think have won the play off from the Championship.

The Old Tolbooth

Touche Neilson 😊

I'm really not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion yet tbh, we were utterly honking at the back end of last season (pretty much the whole shortened season tbh!), and we've played nobody yet! 

rudiatemyhamster
8 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm really not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion yet tbh, we were utterly honking at the back end of last season (pretty much the whole shortened season tbh!), and we've played nobody yet! 

I think in hindsight you are correct.

Some of the excitement around Whelan, Washington etc was palpable.  For whatever reasons it didn’t work out.   Hopefully a solid year this year with some wine against the vermin.

I just think a lot of those players came for the wrong reasons.  It was stated on hear for instance that Whelan was getting allowed to fly up for games which is crazy.  

10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Over 38 games it is huge imo.  You can also take the play off games.  Only 3 teams I think have won the play off from the Championship.

The key factor really being the most recent one in which saw Kilmarnock beaten which kind of proves the point.

Time will tell though. 

21 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

The key factor really being the most recent one in which saw Kilmarnock beaten which kind of proves the point.

Time will tell though. 

Hardly proves the entire bottom half v top half debate though. 

10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Which means the Premiership team has only won it 4 times.

2 hours ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Some of the excitement around Whelan, Washington etc was palpable.  For whatever reasons it didn’t work out.   Hopefully a solid year this year with some wine against the vermin.

I just think a lot of those players came for the wrong reasons.  It was stated on hear for instance that Whelan was getting allowed to fly up for games which is crazy.  

Whelen was a disaster if a signing. What dark times that all was 

6 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Which means the Premiership team has only won it 4 times.

Again, that does not prove that the top half of Championship is as good as the bottom half of the SPL. It proves the top couple of teams could hold their own. Hearts were up against part timers and diddies in that league. There will be no easy games in the league this season. We certainly will not be 2.something goals per game and only 0.something conceded.

It is important to mention that the quality of the champiinship has been seriously bolstered by Hearts, Hibs, Rangers and Dundee United in the past 7 years. It really is generally a huge step down from the SPL. 

There are a good 6 teams in the league big enough for the SPL but as it stands they certainly aren't good enough.

6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Hardly proves the entire bottom half v top half debate though. 

proves that right now (2021 as opposed to 2011 for instance) that there’s not much difference. We are all talking about now , not 5 or 7 years ago.  Recent cup results show there’s not a huge difference as well between bottom 6 and top 4 or 5 in the championship.

part time teams are obviously not going to compete over a season

Touche Neilson 😊

What difference?

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Horrendous times. Poor motivation, poor tactics and plenty 'mystery' injuries. An unforgivable disgrace to the club.

The Old Tolbooth
10 hours ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

I liked Washington tbf, he's a very busy little player, a clever link up player at the top end of the pitch, he reminds me of Stephen Elliott though, very busy and industrious but doesn't score many for a striker, Whelan on the other hand.... 

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

And yet he is a hugely respected and fondly remembered player at his other clubs, praised for his professionalism, determination and leadership.

On the face of it, an excellent signing, but talks between the club and player should have come to a halt early doors if there was any talk of flying up for games (not sure that is true?0 or refusing to do media etc

7 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

And yet he is a hugely respected and fondly remembered player at his other clubs, praised for his professionalism, determination and leadership.

On the face of it, an excellent signing, but talks between the club and player should have come to a halt early doors if there was any talk of flying up for games (not sure that is true?0 or refusing to do media etc

He just didn’t want to be here imo. 

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He just didn’t want to be here imo. 

No, and he probably thought he could cruise it as if he was Pirlo.