Joe Savage interview. Brilliant.

Mr Sifter

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We are light years further forward actually

I don't see it. We are in no way getting Europe next season or win trophies with this squad.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Leveins Battalion

• OldGorgie

• This is My Story Podcast

Unknown user
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I don't see it. We are in no way getting Europe next season or win trophies with this squad.

Yes, booooo

TyphoonJambo

Brilliant podcast.  Got me well up for the season. C'mon the Jambos.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We are light years further forward actually, in terms of as a director from where we were under Leveins directorship characterised by unilateral decisions with no accountability, no professionalism, rushed high risk decisions like Cathro based on gut feeling, turmoil, can't be arsed to hire a real manager so hires himself, collapse, relegated. Would you say we're seeing those same characteristics, same turmoil right now? Is Savage hiding the way Levein did for 5 years? Don't recall Levein ever doing an interview like this. It is early days, but the fans are entitled to be looking forwards again and entitled to be happy about the changes we are seeing. It's a new era at the club.

He sounds good, is clearly committed to his role (unlike Levein who I felt wanted to do a bit of everything) but we need to see how things pan out over the next year or so in terms of signings. 

Actions > words. 

I know he’s playing to the audience but the fact he even mentioned winning the league will do for me. 

We have underperformed for too long as a club. 

Rogue Daddy
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Only part way through it but the thing that sticks out to me is his initial emphasis on staff rather than just players. 

A lot of folk looking at the business on the players front. But look how highly he spoke of George Brown and Will Lancefield, that tells us a lot about where we are. We are only at the very very beginning these guys are just in the building and they are so important to Mr Savage. 

It is refreshing to see the old baggage replaced with fresh blood in the club, who have no Hearts background and are here solely to make an impact their impact on the club for themselves as individuals and as a staff. You need Hearts men in there of course, but you need that new energy and freshness and Savage has brought that in spades. 

Correct, I'd say we are just at the beginning also (a few years late... but, perhaps, we had to go through that to realise what's really required.)

I also agree that its refreshing to get some appointments with no hearts background but, just as importantly, a couple of staff members with no Scottish football background (by that I mean uglies leanings/exposure)... as far as I'm aware at least!

We ARE the 3rd biggest club, no question and we have the infrastructure and fans and there's no reason why we shouldn't be challenging the OF. 

Rogue Daddy
11 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Joe was honestly class from start to finish. His words are great and I get that people can argue “we’ve heard this before” but it just felt different hearing it from him. Added to the changes in the background, the clear recruitment plans in place and his bullishness and arrogance about us, it felt like it had real substance. He was a top, top guy, so engaging. 

Massive thanks to Hearts and Cat in particular for helping us arrange it. Great to see the club engaging with the fans. 

Great podcast guys! Always enjoy them but it's fantastic to get some of the key members of staffs input. Top work! 👍

Rogue Daddy
8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thanks for that interview, been wanting to hear from him talking about Hearts for a while and you did a good interview.

I agree with you that it felt good hearing his views and him being frank about how we performed last season and how he wants us to perform this season and onwards. I felt he got across ambition that has a realistic progression should things go right.

Thought what he was saying about the Womens team manager, Eva Olid, and how her interview went and the presentation she gave was fascinating. Certainly suggests someone who could be a step above your typical appointment for that role.

As others say, talk is cheap and it needs backed up by actions but purely from that interview it seemed like we have someone really professional, hard working and determined in the role who wants to be a successful for the club as possible.

For me, THAT is exactly the kind of person we need at the club... whether it's management or players - we need people like Eva that, obviously, have complete faith in their own abilities. People that are winners and know they can make a difference... you don't get that so much in Scotland as we're tainted with 'the OF will win everything so why bother' type, top 6 will do. We need people that say 'feck that, I'm here to prove we can beat them and I'm the person to do that!'

Obviously I don't know (or had even heard of) Eva Olid before last week, but from what I've heard and read, seems like a cracking appointment. 

Think it’s superb he’s trying to run a tight ship regards signings.  

Apart from the point he made of club related people giving snippets away, leaks can firstly start from the player or agent themselves your dealing with as they try to engineer a more profitable situation. 

Good to hear he said a couple of options are well down the line. Maybe points to a good standard of player being sought after by others aswell and we are well in the mix for them. 

I dare say you’d get other players quicker who aren’t as highly rated.  

Robbo-Jambo
7 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm waiting to see if he gets this Player X in.

Hmm not getting carried away with him.

Talk is cheap, he is right.

The proof in the pudding is when we see what signings arrive at Tynecastle.

Rocky jamboa

He seems to be getting the right team together in the background and it sounds promising. Hopefully will start filtering through to signings now and better coaching.

You've got to ask though, why is something like this only being implemented now, instead of levein and Co spending the last 5 years signing players on the back of you tube clips?? 

After watching that, I'm quite excited for what comes next.

Hopefully Neilson has sort of footballing epiphany and throws the shackles off the team. No way is the squad has bad as they looked at times last season. 

Rocky jamboa
1 minute ago, pablo said:

Hopefully Neilson has sort of footballing epiphany and throws the shackles off the team. No way is the squad has bad as they looked at times last season. 

Savage seems a winner and determined to be a success. It sounds like he has the backing of Budge to get there and I can't see him letting Robbie stand in his way, if he doesn't come up with the goods next season. 

As you say, with guys like Gordon, Smith, Souttar, GMS, Boyce etc, he should be getting more out that team. 

What he's basically alluding to is if a player is holding out for a better offer he's not the type of player we want .

Players should be excited to sign if the terms are reasonable or go elsewhere. 

That's why it's taking time to get the correct players in.Weve all had a gut full of money motivated shitebags at the club .

If players want to go down to league 1 or sign for Aberdeen or Hibs so be it , jog on as Joe says. 

13 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The links are in the tweet underneath the video, for Apple, Spotify & YouTube

Interview starts 23.18 into programme 

McKinley, Anderson, Brown, Lancefield, Savage, (Decent manager?) sounds like a recipe building for success, but how soon it starts to bear fruit? 

Carl Fredrickson

Another thing that he said that I think should be repeated is that last season was hard for players due to Covid restrictions. This would have had an impact on team bonding/gelling due to only training being allowed. I noticed the team were down in East Lothian on Wednesday for a team building exercise. Hopefully with restrictions easing this kind of thing and others can increase to allow the players to bond off the park to improve things on it. 

I wasnt too fussed about performances last season (results YES) as I knew how Covid was impacting on me and people I know - this wouldnt be any different for football players. 

I think Joe said players were getting up, training, going home, repeat. Not ideal prep for a team. So glad things are easing now.

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Maybe not at this very moment but we haven't finished signing players yet. 

39 minutes ago, pablo said:

This is my hope too. And to be fair at the tail end of last season there did seem to be a change of approach. Possession stats don't win games, but for a while last season it looked like that's what the players had been coached to believe.

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He won't be the problem, from that video just there, I'm in Love with this guy he's a winner it was almost like listening to myself, he sees the club how i see it and everyone else should, we are a ****ing massive club with huge potential. 

He gets it 😀

Regardless of how it goes, i would love to see what this guy can do with an attacking manager and his recruitment team. 

You must talk the opposite of what you type then or be on medication. 

He sounded nothing like you! 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Finishing above Aberdeen or hibs is not beyond us. 

They aren't that good. 

Trophies, a bit of luck is required but we were 1 penalty from winning the sc and have made 2/3 of the last sc finals. 

We've been really close to winning a trophy, closer than for example the past, much better  Doddie team. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

? - a Budge appointment you're encouraged by but you want budge out?

He's a card, isn't he? 

Just finished listening, good interview. Seems to have a very good attitude. I get the feeling if the results don't come he'll absolutely kick off, something that's been desperately needed for a long time.

He certainly talks a good game but says nothing that you would not expect from anyone else in that position.

Looking at what he is credited to have achieved in his short time up to now I cannot say he has signed anyone materially better than we already have.  He has done a bit of restructuring in the football dept but that will take time to bear fruit if it ever does.

I am not saying he is good/bad.  I just think it's too soon to go OTT without some real evidence but I remain hopeful.

The Natural Order

Meh. OK interview but nothing more than playing to the crowd.

Talk is cheap and it's results that matter so I'll wait to see what standard of player he brings in and how we're doing on the park before I get exited by this guy.

5 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Budge, like Romanov, the pieman and Waldo before her, is fast becoming a footnote in our history. The merits of her tenure can be argued all day.

The person without whom THERE WOULD BE NO HEARTS.....

- is not a footnote 

- her merits are unarguable 

Most of us realise that.

Respect.

11 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

The person without whom THERE WOULD BE NO HEARTS.....

- is not a footnote 

- her merits are unarguable 

Most of us realise that.

Respect.

Happen to agree with you, although that wasn't the point I was tryin to make.

Queen Ann and her trusty sidekick Levein are (or will very soon be), history. The success of the club now depends on the work of others. That excites me if nothing else.

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

You must talk the opposite of what you type then or be on medication. 

He sounded nothing like you! 

Depends how you see it, he wants the best for Hearts just like me, didn't bother to watch today as it seems an attacking manager has got the better of us today. 

2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Happen to agree with you, although that wasn't the point I was tryin to make.

Queen Ann and her trusty sidekick Levein are (or will very soon be), history. The success of the club now depends on the work of others. That excites me if nothing else.

Time will tell.

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, The Natural Order said:

Meh. OK interview but nothing more than playing to the crowd.

Talk is cheap and it's results that matter so I'll wait to see what standard of player he brings in and how we're doing on the park before I get exited by this guy.

how was it playing to the crowd? What exactly would you have said that wasn’t playing to the crowd ..

for **** sake.. can’t even give credit when folk clearly say and want to do the right things.   

Guest ToqueJambo

10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I was really encouraged when we appointed him. Has the potential to be massively effective. We just need to purge the stench of Budge/Neilson

🤣 Who appointed him?

Typical JKB response to an interview. Still waiting on the great signings those ITK are droning on about. He should be judged solely on the new signings he brings in and not on the sycophantic froth that surrounds him. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

🤣 Who appointed him?

The woman who’s paying you to post here.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

how was it playing to the crowd? What exactly would you have said that wasn’t playing to the crowd ..

for **** sake.. can’t even give credit when folk clearly say and want to do the right things.   

Rather than giving credit, the right response is to be non-committal.

All people at our club do is talk. They never deliver. So saying the right things and wanting the right things - it means **** all and never has.

I like what I read about Savage but he either turns up good signings or he gets tarred by the Budge brush.

Leveins Battalion

Some posters are right,talk.is cheap.

Personally we knew the league was won in about March,Joe has been in the job 6 or 7 months,with just a few weeks till the season starts it's not looking great in regards to recruitment. 

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The woman who’s paying you to post here.

Well that's two things she's got right then

south morocco
3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Some posters are right,talk.is cheap.

Personally we knew the league was won in about March,Joe has been in the job 6 or 7 months,with just a few weeks till the season starts it's not looking great in regards to recruitment. 

I know, it’s frustrating. We can only hope 2-3 decent players arrive. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment but if nothing happens it’s going to be a blow and a long season ahead. Hopefully get something sorted soon

Dagger Is Back

Given how much nonsense has been spouted and promised over the last few years, it's totally understandable why some folks are sceptical.  The damage and negligence inflicted by previous parties shouldn't be forgotten about. 

We all want a successful and entertaining team and I don't see any option but to trust in the people who are now in charge. JS certainly talked a good game. Talk is cheap though as he rightly says and there's no doubt that the heat is on. 

I hope he's up to the task as the clocks ticking already - whether that be unfair or not.

6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Depends how you see it, he wants the best for Hearts just like me, didn't bother to watch today as it seems an attacking manager has got the better of us today. 

In which case you get to espouse NO opinion on the match at all nor do you laughably get to play Captain Hindsight in justifying not watching. 🙄

I hope Savage does his homework better than you do. 

3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

In which case you get to espouse NO opinion on the match at all nor do you laughably get to play Captain Hindsight in justifying not watching. 🙄

I hope Savage does his homework better than you do. 

👍

Watched the highlights but well not upto much, had a feeling we would get shown up hence why i put the real test will be Sunderland, Inverness, Celtic. 

I know Savage can do his homework, but if Robbie can't identify that 35 year old Aiden McGeady is the best player on the park well 😂 i suppose Savage can do all the homework he wants, makes no difference 👍

Edited by Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Rather than giving credit, the right response is to be non-committal.

All people at our club do is talk. They never deliver. So saying the right things and wanting the right things - it means **** all and never has.

I like what I read about Savage but he either turns up good signings or he gets tarred by the Budge brush.

Let's be honest though, they can't win either way. 

Say the right things:

6d928e496b06d98b49e666e0da305ec0.gif

Say the wrong things:

tenor.gif?itemid=5874447

Say noncommittal things:

GhgC.gif

Say nothing:

tenor.gif?itemid=14524476

On 16/07/2021 at 23:48, Bongo 1874 said:

He won't be the problem, from that video just there, I'm in Love with this guy he's a winner it was almost like listening to myself, he sees the club how i see it and everyone else should, we are a ****ing massive club with huge potential. 

He gets it 😀

Regardless of how it goes, i would love to see what this guy can do with an attacking manager and his recruitment team. 

Agreed. 

Robbie remains a dead man walking, barring a turnaround in form that seems unlikely at best. I'm resigned to a difficult and wasted season.

Savage is the real deal though, and I'm certain the next Head Coach will be on his wavelength. 

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Agreed. 

Robbie remains a dead man walking, barring a turnaround in form that seems unlikely at best. I'm resigned to a difficult and wasted season.

Savage is the real deal though, and I'm certain the next Head Coach will be on his wavelength. 

Let's hope there's no turnaround in form. We've not conceded in 7 and have scored 18. Long may it continue right?

Bazzas right boot
57 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's be honest though, they can't win either way. 

Say the right things:

6d928e496b06d98b49e666e0da305ec0.gif

Say the wrong things:

tenor.gif?itemid=5874447

Say noncommittal things:

GhgC.gif

Say nothing:

tenor.gif?itemid=14524476

Sums it up.

Finlay James

Great interview.  I really liked Joe and he clearly has a very strategic vision of how he wants to run things which is exactly what we need.

Aside from points already made by other posters, I was struck mostly by his assessment of the youth academy as he described how impressed he is by it.  It's clear we have some quality players in the academy and the coaching is very good but by bringing in the coaching development manager from Celtic, there is clearly a plan to ensure a pathway for players from academy to first team and that the coaches are following a common vision.  The proof will be in the eating but this is encouraging none the less.

As much as I was encouraged, I've felt this way by others in the past 5-6 years only to realise it was all talk.  Joe pretty much sums this up and I like that he wants to be judged on results and is taking ownership and accountability.  I have my doubts that Neilson is the head coach to ensure we deliver results but hopefully, I'm wrong about that.

14 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

All Hearts fans want what they think is the best for the club……

You’re nothing special.