Joe Savage interview. Brilliant.

Mr Sifter

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Get the sense Savage has more input into “style of play” than we think.

Dunno if the podcast guys got that feeling.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Leveins Battalion

• OldGorgie

• This is My Story Podcast

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think it's definitely part of the job, helping implement a style across all age groups.

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Didn’t need to watch knew what the outcome would be a spanking. 

Easy work for Sunderland. 

Unsurprisingly, your analysis of a match you didn't see is wrong. I know it's crazy in this age of people boasting how they don't go to games anymore, but it's amazing the difference actually watching a game can make when it comes to discussing it afterwards.

Guest ToqueJambo
27 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I said 433 or 424, you are about to see teams open us up because 343 won't work against the better teams. 

As I've mentioned above. 

Why does Mceneff need to adapt it's simple to see what his strengths are. 

Why? It's a pretty modern formation. England used it as did some other teams in the Euros. The big drawback of it, which was a criticism of England at times, isn't that it's easy to open up but that it can be too defensive because you essentially have 5 to 7 (depending on your two central midfielders) more defensive players on the park. In our case, 6 including Haring.

Probably more of a worry for us is how good Smith and Kingsley/Cochrane will be as attacking WBs, especially against better teams. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Mr Elwood P
39 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Didn’t need to watch knew what the outcome would be a spanking. 

Easy work for Sunderland. 

You knew nothing, nothing has changed.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Unsurprisingly, your analysis of a match you didn't see is wrong. I know it's crazy in this age of people boasting how they don't go to games anymore, but it's amazing the difference actually watching a game can make when it comes to discussing it afterwards.

I watched it On Hearts TV Sunderland didn't get out of second gear, and it could've been more. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-sunderland-match-report-friendly-21079448.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjag_vBn_DxAhU1olwKHYxLARYQ0PADegQIEBAB&usg=AOvVaw0WS2rmQhGPSvynHlCSQ0M3&ampcf=1

Easy day at the office with Sunderland playing a good few youngsters in this game, hows that for analysis. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why? It's a pretty modern formation. England used it as did some other teams in the Euros. The big drawback of it, which was a criticism of England at times, isn't that it's easy to open up but that it can be too defensive because you essentially have 5 to 7 (depending on your two central midfielders) more defensive players on the park. In our case, 6 including Haring.

Probably more of a worry for us is how good Smith and Kingsley/Cochrane will be as attacking WBs, especially against better teams. 

You know what, don't listen to my opinion, when the seasons starts let's see if the formation etc is working deal?. 

50 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I watched it On Hearts TV Sunderland didn't get out of second gear, and it could've been more. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-sunderland-match-report-friendly-21079448.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjag_vBn_DxAhU1olwKHYxLARYQ0PADegQIEBAB&usg=AOvVaw0WS2rmQhGPSvynHlCSQ0M3&ampcf=1

Easy day at the office with Sunderland playing a good few youngsters in this game, hows that for analysis. 

You did read this bit?

"Sunderland offered negligible goal threat in the second period, while Hearts frequently threatened to halve the deficit."

The formation I advocate is the one where we score lashings of goals of goals on a consistent basis and hardly concede any.

Bongo should be onside with that.  So should Damour in fact but he won't be.  That's the fault of Neilson and AB apparently.

27 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

You did read this bit?

"Sunderland offered negligible goal threat in the second period, while Hearts frequently threatened to halve the deficit."

Yes but I was told that means nothing funny we had a manager here, that the team was creating chances but not scoring, yet he was criticised, but because it's Robbie nope, nope it's fine 😂 honestly was the same under Levein the bias from some on here. 

Easy game for Sunderland end of blacks cats cruise to win. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

24 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

The formation I advocate is the one where we score lashings of goals of goals on a consistent basis and hardly concede any.

Bongo should be onside with that.  So should Damour in fact but he won't be.  That's the fault of Neilson and AB apparently.

Like i said let's wait and see, happily come on here saying i was wrong. 

No Idle Talk

I really enjoyed the interview. Joe talks well and he talks bullishly. Some people might scoff at him for making a comment like "I want to win the league" or "I want to split the Old Firm" but I love hearing someone who holds a prominent role at Hearts talking like that. We might not achieve it but it is healthy to have it as an aim. 

I'm genuinely excited about what we are doing on the recruitment side of things at the moment. Obviously there haven't been many player signings as yet but you have to get your infrastructure in place first and that seems to be what the last few months has been spent doing. It will, of course, all count for nothing if good players don't start arriving through the door at Tynecastle but I think they will. 

He also seems to have a good grasp of how big a club Hearts are and what the expectation level is. So if we fall short of that standard I don't think he comes across as a guy who will be accepting of that. I like the cut of his jib.

With the almost universal positive responses, I’m assuming this is the first time a lot of posters have heard an interview with someone this close to the club?

Since I was a kid I’ve attended Q&As with Sandy Jardine, Jimmy Bone, Wallace Mercer, Chris Robinson, Jimmy Sandison, Brian Whittaker, Craig Levein, Jim & Billy, Ann Budge and probably a few more and every single one sounded just the same as Joe Savage. They’re hardly going to say we’re settling for shite, are they? 

The thing for me is him dodging the Robbie post Brora question by basically intimating he was surprised at the reaction (the protest) and Robbie telling him this was what happens if a club of our size gets a result like that. Robbie should know, right enough, since Birkirkara is the only result we’ve had like that since all the aforementioned people were involved with Hearts ie since Forfar. 

It also worried me that he swept it under the carpet by saying we made chance after chance that night and he hoped to draw them in the LC to “put it to bed” I think he said. The first part of that wasn’t true and the second never came to pass and incidentally, Brora have lost every competitive match they’ve played since! 

Also, “close to getting one or two over the line,” is a throwaway line that is getting tiresome after 6 weeks of saying so and with the season already underway. 

8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I really enjoyed the interview. Joe talks well and he talks bullishly. Some people might scoff at him for making a comment like "I want to win the league" or "I want to split the Old Firm" but I love hearing someone who holds a prominent role at Hearts talking like that. We might not achieve it but it is healthy to have it as an aim. 

I'm genuinely excited about what we are doing on the recruitment side of things at the moment. Obviously there haven't been many player signings as yet but you have to get your infrastructure in place first and that seems to be what the last few months has been spent doing. It will, of course, all count for nothing if good players don't start arriving through the door at Tynecastle but I think they will. 

He also seems to have a good grasp of how big a club Hearts are and what the expectation level is. So if we fall short of that standard I don't think he comes across as a guy who will be accepting of that. I like the cut of his jib.

Good post. The attitude amongst players , management and the club at least privately always has to be we are here to win the league and cups every season. If its not you shouldn’t be there. 

This is My Story Podcast
15 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

He struck me as someone who knows what he wants and let’s others know his demands. I think he is different to what we’ve had before and that’ll be huge for us. I really hope he can deliver. 

Hagar the Horrible

I have one critisism on Joe is that, the season is now underway the league campaign is just about there, but Pre-season getting fit is over, anybody we get in will now not have had a pre-season under their belt, and will take weeks to get match fit and understand the other players game.  I would like us to have early recruitment not the  last minute frozen turkey on the shelf Christmas eve.  we should start now for next year, and not do our xmas shopping from the garage. 

6 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

The thing for me is him dodging the Robbie post Brora question by basically intimating he was surprised at the reaction (the protest) and Robbie telling him this was what happens if a club of our size gets a result like that. Robbie should know, right enough, since Birkirkara is the only result we’ve had like that since all the aforementioned people were involved with Hearts ie since Forfar. 

Totally agree. It’s about time some reflected on how bad the Brora result was. It was an unmitigated disaster and while I like RN, he should have been sacked along with his fellow coaches the next day.

50 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I have one critisism on Joe is that, the season is now underway the league campaign is just about there, but Pre-season getting fit is over, anybody we get in will now not have had a pre-season under their belt, and will take weeks to get match fit and understand the other players game.  I would like us to have early recruitment not the  last minute frozen turkey on the shelf Christmas eve.  we should start now for next year, and not do our xmas shopping from the garage. 

The missed preseason stuff is a ready made excuse for being crap for the whole of your first year and it’s been wheeled out by numerous Hearts players since Ann Budge took charge. 
It’s like modern players only moan it’s their livelihoods/a short career etc when it suits. It’s their feckin job to be fit and they know when the season starts every year. If that involves long, boring runs or painful fitness sessions on their own, so be it. 

No more puff pieces or sound bites start bringing in players that previous regime’s failed to enhance our squad 

Gimme an H...
5 minutes ago, pointon said:

No more puff pieces or sound bites start bringing in players that previous regime’s failed to enhance our squad 

Why have you chosen to have a moan after another ‘job done’ performance? 

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

3 games played, 3 wins and no goals conceded. Go away and bore someone else.

Fair enough you’re expectations are clearly quite low enjoy the season 👍

jamboinglasgow

Puff pieces? He has had 1 interview.

And we won today, and reached the next round with a game to spare having conceed no goals, scoring 7 goals.

7 minutes ago, pointon said:

can I ask what did you expect ? 3 wins, 3 clean sheets.

already said he’s working on signings. 
it’s not football manager on the PC

jesus wept

Fxxx the SPFL
7 minutes ago, pointon said:

Fair enough you’re expectations are clearly quite low enjoy the season 👍

are you actually a Hearts fan negative moaning posts all over the place