Joe Savage interview. Brilliant.

Mr Sifter

A_A wehatethehibs
21 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I don't see it. We are in no way getting Europe next season or win trophies with this squad.

Wait sorry you're talking about just the team / squad? For just this season? A narrow view. I was talking about the directorship / decision making, and the long term turmoil overseen by Savage's predecessor. 

We are light years forward from Levein as director of football as of right now.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to expect the fella to come in and fire a silver bullet to turn us into a champions league side in 6 months. We want to be in there challenging this season and taking some big scalps at Tynecastle but folk accept that Rome was not built in a day.

The first order of business, Neilson got promoted, job done. Will he pass the test at Premier level? I don't think any fan will be under any illusions now, with Savage's clear desire to win that no prisoners will be taken by him. The guy has no loyalty to Neilson and looks only at the results and performances. If Neilson is stranded in 8th or 9th 10-15 games into the season, Savage will present a recommendation to the board of whether or not he should be sacked (a board level decision) and if sacked, Savage will oversee the appointment of another. Unlike Levein who was unwilling to sack Cathro, and unable to sack himself.

The right structure of accountability is getting put in place now. Light years further forward as I say. Neilson got us up comfortably so that job is done, there was never any realistic chance of get the sack when sitting 10 points clear at the top. But the sack comes into play now on a serious level because we are back in the Premier, and expectations are high.  

And not only that, but Savage has said that he himself is accountable as well which Levein never was. In the interview he states that he said to Ann, (paraphrased) "if you're going to sack me in 12 months, I want to be able to say I did absolutely everything....". The man holds himself accountable now for the quality of our squad. He has shipped 12 out and brought 4 in that are a substantially better standard. Who was accountable for the 100 odd players 70-80 of whom were pretty much dross under Levein?

It's the rational, professional approach from a guy with no Hearts baggage but clearly a massive selfish ambition to do well in his own career. We are seeing what the fans demanded to see on the emptying of Levein.

Light years forward from the has-been Levein who was running the football dept as director basically just taking all decisions unilaterally based on his own gut feeling rather than professional competence, which is absolutely not the way to run things and was warned about by some right at the very beginning of the Budge-Levein era in 2014. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Leveins Battalion

• OldGorgie

• This is My Story Podcast

23 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Wait sorry you're talking about just the team / squad? For just this season? A narrow view. I was talking about the directorship / decision making, and the long term turmoil overseen by Savage's predecessor. 

You'd have to be a complete idiot to expect the fella to come in and fire a silver bullet to turn us into a champions league side in 6 months. We want to be in there challenging this season and taking some big scalps at Tynecastle but folk accept that Rome was not built in a day.

The first order of business, Neilson got promoted, job done. Will he pass the test at Premier level? I don't think any fan will be under any illusions now, with Savage's clear desire to win that no prisoners will be taken by him. The guy has no loyalty to Neilson and looks only at the results and performances. If Neilson is stranded in 8th or 9th 10-15 games into the season, Savage will present a recommendation to the board of whether or not he should be sacked (a board level decision) and if sacked, Savage will oversee the appointment of another. Unlike Levein who was unwilling to sack Cathro, and unable to sack himself.

The right structure of accountability is getting put in place now. Light years further forward as I say. Neilson got us up comfortably so that job is done, there was never any realistic chance of get the sack when sitting 10 points clear at the top. But the sack comes into play now on a serious level because we are back in the Premier, and expectations are high.  

And not only that, but Savage has said that he himself is accountable as well which Levein never was. In the interview he states that he said to Ann, (paraphrased) "if you're going to sack me in 12 months, I want to be able to say I did absolutely everything....". The man holds himself accountable now for the quality of our squad. He has shipped 12 out and brought 4 in that are a substantially better standard. Who was accountable for the 100 odd players 70-80 of whom were pretty much dross under Levein?

It's the rational, professional approach from a guy with no Hearts baggage but clearly a massive selfish ambition to do well in his own career. We are seeing what the fans demanded to see on the emptying of Levein.

Light years forward from the has-been Levein who was running the football dept as director basically just taking all decisions unilaterally based on his own gut feeling rather than professional competence, which is absolutely not the way to run things and was warned about by some right at the very beginning of the Budge-Levein era in 2014. 

Good post. Agree 100%

Gordon Ramsay
17 hours ago, The Natural Order said:

Meh. OK interview but nothing more than playing to the crowd.

Talk is cheap and it's results that matter so I'll wait to see what standard of player he brings in and how we're doing on the park before I get exited by this guy.

Same. 

I distinctly remember Cathro doing an interview very early in his tenure about how he wanted Hearts to play and everyone thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Talk is very cheap, something I've learned over the last 5 years. 

Talk is all very well but it’s actions that count. Savage has been responsible for bringing in one player- Cochrane. The other two that have joined were already committed to Hearts.

Leveins Battalion

I hope now we have a proper recruitment team that we spread our network far and wide.

I'd imagine George Brown will be bringing in Data from all over Europe,Savage,Neilson and Lancefield will pick players to watch in person.

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's hope there's no turnaround in form. We've not conceded in 7 and have scored 18. Long may it continue right?

Absolutely, long may the current form continue. 

With respect though, we're performing well and getting the results I'd expect us to get. 

In term of the league campaign, I'd actually settle for mid table and consolidation this coming season; most of what I read here suggests fans expect us to be competing for Europe. I can't see that with the current squad and manager.

All I want is a manager (be that Robbie or anyone else) to set us up to play positive entertaining football that gets us challenging at the top end of the league, where a club of our size should be, and a united support behind it. 

We have to come together. Savage will give any manager all the support and tools available to us.

Edited by blairdin

1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

Talk is all very well but it’s actions that count. Savage has been responsible for bringing in one player- Cochrane. The other two that have joined were already committed to Hearts.

McAneff? 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think you nailed it right there..............

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In what way are we light years ahead?  I hope you are right but what is it, apart from hope, that makes you think we are?

Who mentioned a silver bullet apart from yourself?

Neilson was well on his way to promotion before JS appeared on the scene.

How do you know JS will take no prisoners or that he has no loyalty to RN or that he will make presentations to the Board?  Just a perception/hope on your part?

Would not Mckinlay oversee any new appointment?

What is this "right structure of accountability" that makes it, not just better, but light years ahead?

FFS everyone below the owner is accountable - in any organisation!

What has he done so far that leads you to believe his approach is rational, professional?  You may even be right but there is no ON THE FIELD hint that is the case so far.  Recently he has signed 1 player on loan plus made permanent 2 who were on loan.  Prior to that (I believe) his 2 signings were Nando and McEneff, who with the greatest respect have hardly changed the shape of the earth

Nearly everything you've said previously suggests Savage is running things now instead of Levein.  Is that not just the same play but with a different actor?

I certainly hope all you say is correct and I hate to ever appear less than positive about the club but I just think you are jumping the gun with a post so full of hope and presumption.  He has done a bit of restructuring behind the scenes, the cost of which some will argue could have been better applied to actual playing staff but I have still to see one signing that I feel would make an appreciable difference to our performances.  All I have heard so far is that for the last 2 or 3 weeks we "just about have 2 over the line". 

I suggest we wait a few weeks longer before making meaningful judgments but like you I sincerely hope we are now on the right path to where we should be.

9 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

All down to the money being offered at the end of the day. 

Really ?

I wish you had mentioned this before……and not repeated yourself on at least 100 occasions on countless threads.

Money will normally be the issue when hoping to attract the better players…….that isn’t anything new.

Its not just about getting players... its about the player that has ambition to do even better then hearts and do well so we can benefit in many ways. most of the player we have given a contract to feel this is as high as they can go...this is not what we want to attract....We need ambitions people across the club.

12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

👍

Watched the highlights but well not upto much, had a feeling we would get shown up hence why i put the real test will be Sunderland, Inverness, Celtic. 

I know Savage can do his homework, but if Robbie can't identify that 35 year old Aiden McGeady is the best player on the park well 😂 i suppose Savage can do all the homework he wants, makes no difference 👍

I won't disagree that we should have put the granny-faced twonk in the stand early doors. 

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Same. 

I distinctly remember Cathro doing an interview very early in his tenure about how he wanted Hearts to play and everyone thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Talk is very cheap, something I've learned over the last 5 years. 

Hasn't stopped you though has it? ::troll::

3 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Yip some kbers gloss anything up, so far we have NOT signed players for the positions that need filling and the clock is ticking.

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Really ?

I wish you had mentioned this before……and not repeated yourself on at least 100 occasions on countless threads.

Money will normally be the issue when hoping to attract the better players…….that isn’t anything new.

Maybe why we're missing out.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Don't you think your comment is a bit respectful, not only to Savage, but to the guys who go out of their way to produce an excellent weekly podcast? 

Perhaps you are right but I think it’s fair to say that the podcast was all a bit matey. That’s fine itself. But it would be unfair to compare it with post-match interviews (by Robbie Neilson and by other managers) when they are getting searching questions from hardened journalists, particularly in the immediate aftermath of disappointing results. Personally, I think the use of “brilliant” in the title of this thread was way over the top. 

A couple of things I took from it, and good work from the guys who made it.

1. He didn’t say third is as good as it’s ever gonna get

2. He acknowledged talk is cheap

3. He seems to acknowledge gash performances and didn’t absolve himself from the Brora shambles.

Impressive fella. Don’t think he’ll be satisfied with poor performances.

I fully expect players will be recruited now to fill positions we need filling. We may not have heard of them but would expect them to improve us.

He doesn’t appear to be under any illusions and, at a time when I’ve become quite pessimistic this cheered me up a fair bit

4 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

A couple of things I took from it, and good work from the guys who made it.

1. He didn’t say third is as good as it’s ever gonna get

2. He acknowledged talk is cheap

3. He seems to acknowledge gash performances and didn’t absolve himself from the Brora shambles.

Impressive fella. Don’t think he’ll be satisfied with poor performances.

I fully expect players will be recruited now to fill positions we need filling. We may not have heard of them but would expect them to improve us.

He doesn’t appear to be under any illusions and, at a time when I’ve become quite pessimistic this cheered me up a fair bit

he also looks like he would take responsibility for any of his failings as long as he gets the majority of resources he asks for.

HillmanHearts

Encouraging from Joe.

But as he says ; “talk is cheap”.

He seems really committed and very professional.

Ive been kinda at the stage in recent times that I’m tired of all the talk and want some actual results and progress.

That’s not Joe’s fault. 

My bit of concern is that I’d reckon he would have been very involved in Gnando and McEnneff and to be honest the jury is very much still out these guys.

Really hope they both come on a bit. They both look like they have stuff in the locker. So fingers crossed.

RustyRightPeg

Just listened.

His attitude is spot on, and you can see he is looking to progress the club, raising professionalism levels whilst doing it.

He's refreshingly honest, says what he thinks almost. 

Joe savage, the Sporting Director of Heart of Midlothian, says Hearts are the best and if you don’t want to sign for us you should ‘jog on’ and we’ll get someone else. Really ? And some people on here think that’s great ? 

Meanwhile, the only real evidence to date of Joe’s ability is £175K  spent on McAneff, plus the wage that goes with that. A chunky investment for us and to date, not the return we’d hope for.

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Joe savage, the Sporting Director of Heart of Midlothian, says Hearts are the best and if you don’t want to sign for us you should ‘jog on’ and we’ll get someone else. Really ? And some people on here think that’s great ? 

Meanwhile, the only real evidence to date of Joe’s ability is £175K  spent on McAneff, plus the wage that goes with that. A chunky investment for us and to date, not the return we’d hope for.

You have seen our transfer policy over the last few years right? The players we have signed who we have given them every kind of break and incentive to sign for us so we are deemed worthy of their employment only for them to  look disinterested when things got a bit tough. 

5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You have seen our transfer policy over the last few years right? The players we have signed who we have given them every kind of break and incentive to sign for us so we are deemed worthy of their employment only for them to  look disinterested when things got a bit tough. 

Yeah, but I’m not breaking out the champagne because Joe said a few platitudes to the fans.

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Yeah, but I’m not breaking out the champagne because Joe said a few platitudes to the fans.

I keep seeing people saying this and it feels like people have become too cynical. They have forgotten how to be optimistic. Not one person who has said they were pleased with the interview is saying that everything is good now and we are going to be amazing. But I have seen Robbie and the club hammered by fans for what they say when people think its wrong and sets the wrong message, but when its the other way round people dismiss it as just talk, you cant have it both ways.

I just like having something that sounds positive and sounds like we could possibly go the right direction, if a year down the line things aren't improving or got worse then Savage hasn't fulfilled his words and will face consequences of losing support of the fans and hopefully those at the top of the club. But then again he might have met or exceeded what we wanted.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

1 hour ago, buzzbomb said:

Mceneff has the makings of a very good player,  but playing a 343 won't suit him as it doesn't give him license to express himself, and freedom. 

Mceneff needs to play in a three man midfield being the more forward player just behind the striker like De Bruyne. 

That would suit his game, and we could have two extra players as cover if the ball is lost, or just one as the holder or deep lying playmaker. 

Gives you far more options than the 343. 

The 343 is ideal if a team is playing 2 upfront as it leaves 1 spare, but if teams are only playing with 1 upfront, there is no need to play it. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Mceneff has the makings of a very good player,  but playing a 343 won't suit him as it doesn't give him license to express himself, and freedom. 

Mceneff needs to play in a three man midfield being the more forward player just behind the striker like De Bruyne. 

That would suit his game, and we could have two extra players as cover if the ball is lost, or just one as the holder. 

The 343 is ideal if a team is playing 2 upfront as it leaves 1 spare, but if teams are only playing with 1 upfront, there is no need to play it. 

I’m not saying Aaron isn’t decent potentially but he ain’t really delivered so far and it begs the question why we signed him for a large sum if we’re not playing him where he’s suited. Remember, this is the sporting director / manager that agreed on him. And someine Joe coveted for years.

Unknown user
11 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I’ll judge Savage on his actions, not on some chat on a pishy interview.

People say that but I bet they'd have been happy to judge him if it had been a car crash!

While making the right noises is a good start, patience is still needed of course. But it is a good start.

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That would suit his game, and we could have two extra players as cover if the ball is lost, or just one as the holder or deep lying playmaker. 

In regards to McEneff I think you’re spot on Bongo 👍

1 minute ago, buzzbomb said:

I’m not saying Aaron isn’t decent potentially but he ain’t really delivered so far and it begs the question why we signed him for a large sum if we’re not playing him where he’s suited. Remember, this is the sporting director / manager that agreed on him. And someine Joe coveted for years.

I think we can all agree what you see is what you get with Neilson mate, with all due respect Joe can't pick the team for him, and it's Neilson who picks the formation and style of play, Joe is just recruitment. 

He's given Neilson the tools/ players to be successful, it's now upto Neilson to deliver and put a team on the park, that is entertaining to watch for fans and wins games. 

57 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think he's still a bit touchy about the car-park incident, with Savage and Irving. 

Allegedly. 

Soon see.

Go on... 

:kirk:

will-i-am-a-jambo
12 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Its not just about getting players... its about the player that has ambition to do even better then hearts and do well so we can benefit in many ways. most of the player we have given a contract to feel this is as high as they can go...this is not what we want to attract....We need ambitions people across the club.

I think we need to strike a balance of having guys that know Hearts will be their limit (and are willing to go through brick walls for the club ala Ryan Stevenson) and guys that want to push themselves further than Hearts. Too many of the former and you end up with too much dross & not enough quality, too much of the latter and you get too many guys that aren't as  committed imo. 

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

Mr Elwood P
On 17/07/2021 at 16:42, Bongo 1874 said:

Depends how you see it, he wants the best for Hearts just like me, didn't bother to watch today as it seems an attacking manager has got the better of us today. 

You decided not to watch, due to the final result, which you didn’t actually  know when you decided not to watch?

On 18/07/2021 at 08:07, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You seem very easily taken in.  It takes actual on field results to convince me.

7 years of Ann Budge and yet again we are back to the drawing board.  I certainly hope we have it nailed this time.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

You seem very easily taken in.  It takes actual on field results to convince me.

7 years of Ann Budge and yet again we are back to the drawing board.  I certainly hope we have it nailed this time.

I'm not easily taken in, nor am I convinced. What happens with the team is the result of the internal decision making. To make good decisions in any organization the accountability structure needs to be correct. You've got to fix that before you'll get results. I just feel with Levein now being removed and replaced with a number of different people in various different roles, each accountable for their specific remits be it youth, first team, recruitment, and Savage at the helm of it with McKinlay above him, with the length of time it has taken to get all these people installed, we have seen a big step forwards in the football decision making engine inside the club. The structural way things are run. We don't have 1 arrogant clown running the show based on his gut feelings anymore and we don't have a CEO who has a personal/informal relationship with him. There's more professionalism in the approach which to me, in and of itself, is a huge step forward. A quantum leap forward from the Levein show. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Some might say Borderline paranoia 

6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I'm not easily taken in, nor am I convinced. What happens with the team is the result of the internal decision making. To make good decisions in any organization the accountability structure needs to be correct. You've got to fix that before you'll get results. I just feel with Levein now being removed and replaced with a number of different people in various different roles, each accountable for their specific remits be it youth, first team, recruitment, and Savage at the helm of it with McKinlay above him, with the length of time it has taken to get all these people installed, we have seen a big step forwards in the football decision making engine inside the club. The structural way things are run. We don't have 1 arrogant clown running the show based on his gut feelings anymore and we don't have a CEO who has a personal/informal relationship with him. There's more professionalism in the approach which to me, in and of itself, is a huge step forward. A quantum leap forward from the Levein show. 

wishful thinking. For professionalism, read ability to spin a yarn. No evidence yet that the new set up is any better and we will find out soon the answer to that.

21 hours ago, Barack said:

Think he's still a bit touchy about the car-park incident, with Savage and Irving. 

Allegedly. 

Soon see.

🤣

20 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Go on... 

:kirk:

Check the Andy Irving thread its on there in its full glory

KyleLafferty
21 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I think we can all agree what you see is what you get with Neilson mate, with all due respect Joe can't pick the team for him, and it's Neilson who picks the formation and style of play, Joe is just recruitment. 

He's given Neilson the tools/ players to be successful, it's now upto Neilson to deliver and put a team on the park, that is entertaining to watch for fans and wins games. 

3-4-3 I think suits us better than 442 or 4231 which we played most of the championship.

We need GMS, Boyce and Gino (who are first picks) to be high. Then more width from the wing backs. I’ve discussed Aaron with you before, he looks Like he can be a good player, but he has to be willing to adapt aswell.

2 hours ago, sadj said:

🤣

Check the Andy Irving thread its on there in its full glory

I'll have a look, cheers. 👍

2 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

3-4-3 I think suits us better than 442 or 4231 which we played most of the championship.

We need GMS, Boyce and Gino (who are first picks) to be high. Then more width from the wing backs. I’ve discussed Aaron with you before, he looks Like he can be a good player, but he has to be willing to adapt aswell.

I said 433 or 424, you are about to see teams open us up because 343 won't work against the better teams. 

As I've mentioned above. 

Why does Mceneff need to adapt it's simple to see what his strengths are. 

11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You decided not to watch, due to the final result, which you didn’t actually  know when you decided not to watch?

Didn’t need to watch knew what the outcome would be a spanking. 

Easy work for Sunderland. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Unknown user
11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Well that plus the performance, which he also didn't actually know in advance. The as yet unannounced line up was particularly irritating I hear.

Edited by Smithee