Joe Savage interview. Brilliant.

Mr Sifter

Can’t see a thread for this (might be wrong) but what a great interview. Joe seems to get us, he knows where we’ve been isn’t good enough and it’s fair to say he has lofty ambitions for us. And quite rightly so. How many of us have said that all the pieces are now in place to see our club really kick on? He’s the exact same. It’s a brilliant watch, that (personally) makes me really excited for the future. Fast forward to 27 minutes for the interview (but the podcast in its entirety is a decent watch too). 

Top work from the This Is My Story podcast boys 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Leveins Battalion

• OldGorgie

• This is My Story Podcast

BackOfTheNet
14 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Can’t see a thread for this (might be wrong) but what a great interview. Joe seems to get us, he knows where we’ve been isn’t good enough and it’s fair to say he has lofty ambitions for us. And quite rightly so. How many of us have said that all the pieces are now in place to see our club really kick on? He’s the exact same. It’s a brilliant watch, that (personally) makes me really excited for the future. Fast forward to 27 minutes for the interview (but the podcast in its entirety is a decent watch too). 

As I said in the transfer thread, there’s whelms to be had with this interview. Particularly what he alludes us being close to transfer wise. Not full on whelms, but the promise of whelms, if you will…

Really like his attitude. He's here to win. He wants us to win. He knows what's expected at a club like this. He wants to have a winning rivalry with Hibs, Celtic and Rangers. It's refreshing, he knows results are all that matters.

He also says "talk is cheap", and it is. So let's hope he can deliver what he's aiming to.

Interesting that he said Robbie knows this too and recognised it's up to him to deliver and not let things like Brora happen again on his watch. Robbie would buy himself a lot more leeway with fans if that came across more in his interviews at times. Joe talked about how players would be lucky to be here, that's the same for Robbie but sometimes it comes across like he thinks we're lucky to have him (imo) which does him no favours. 

Edited by Taffin

This is My Story Podcast
30 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Joe was honestly class from start to finish. His words are great and I get that people can argue “we’ve heard this before” but it just felt different hearing it from him. Added to the changes in the background, the clear recruitment plans in place and his bullishness and arrogance about us, it felt like it had real substance. He was a top, top guy, so engaging. 

Massive thanks to Hearts and Cat in particular for helping us arrange it. Great to see the club engaging with the fans. 

1 minute ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Joe was honestly class from start to finish. His words are great and I get that people can argue “we’ve heard this before” but it just felt different hearing it from him. Added to the changes in the background, the clear recruitment plans in place and his bullishness and arrogance about us, it felt like it had real substance. He was a top, top guy, so engaging. 

Massive thanks to Hearts and Cat in particular for helping us arrange it. Great to see the club engaging with the fans. 

That's the key. We have heard it all before but it did feel different watching that. It also felt like he was being open, honest and genuine in his competitiveness and his desire for us to achieve things on the pitch. It held a lot more gravitas as watching that didn't feel stage managed and false/heavily buzzworded with PR spin. It wasn't about building off the field and hopefully wins will come, it was wins must come and what I'm building is solely to deliver that.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, GYL said:

Is there a full interview available or just this snippet?

The links are in the tweet underneath the video, for Apple, Spotify & YouTube

2 minutes ago, GYL said:

Is there a full interview available or just this snippet?

There's 3 links in the post for Apple Music, Spotify or YouTube. Pick your poison. It's worth watching on YouTube I'd say.

Edited by Taffin

Yep passion comes through, although a ‘bit cringey’, development plan to include media training …

Edited by Jambo-Fox

This is My Story Podcast
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's the key. We have heard it all before but it did feel different watching that. It also felt like he was being open, honest and genuine in his competitiveness and his desire for us to achieve things on the pitch. It held a lot more gravitas as watching that didn't feel stage managed and false/heavily buzzworded with PR spin. It wasn't about building off the field and hopefully wins will come, it was wins must come and what I'm building is solely to deliver that.

Yeah there was no hoping for top 6, difficult league etx etx. It was all, puff the chest out, this hearts, cope with the demand or ship out. He was a good sport and game for a laugh which I loved. Here’s hoping we can see some of his arrogance about the club rub off on the pitch. 

14 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Joe Jordan used to piss me off referring to "the Hearts" as a third party.

This was the opposite of that.

Billy Brown talks about Hearts as The Hertz 😂

10 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Yeah there was no hoping for top 6, difficult league etx etx. It was all, puff the chest out, this hearts, cope with the demand or ship out. He was a good sport and game for a laugh which I loved. Here’s hoping we can see some of his arrogance about the club rub off on the pitch. 

Very encouraging stuff.

I do need to question the assertion that Celtic have any world class players though...nevermind all over the park 😂😂

Before anyone panics, it wasn't Joe who said that!

This is My Story Podcast
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Very encouraging stuff.

I do need to question the assertion that Celtic have any world class players though...nevermind all over the park 😂😂

Before anyone panics, it wasn't Joe who said that!

😂😂 it’s par for the course me talking sh*te 😂😂

Jambof3tornado

Says it himself

Talk is cheap.

Lets see how we go,only then can he or the setup be praised or slated.

3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Says it himself

Talk is cheap.

This. Let’s not jump the gun then slate the boy if it doesn’t go to plan.

31 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Says it himself

Talk is cheap.

28 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

This. Let’s not jump the gun then slate the boy if it doesn’t go to plan.

He won't be the problem, from that video just there, I'm in Love with this guy he's a winner it was almost like listening to myself, he sees the club how i see it and everyone else should, we are a ****ing massive club with huge potential. 

He gets it 😀

Regardless of how it goes, i would love to see what this guy can do with an attacking manager and his recruitment team. 

1 hour ago, InternationalJambo said:

Best signing for the club since budge took control.

Christ, you know we've set the bar low when the most accomplished signing has been a guy who came across well in an interview one time

siegementality

I’d be amazed if he didn’t come out with similar at Preston, etc. Sound bytes and cheap talk? Time will tell.

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

😂😂 it’s par for the course me talking sh*te 😂😂

Haha. I like the podcast and you did really well to get this interview and Joe came across really well.

Please don't take this the wrong way but going forward I would suggest trying to get the interviewee to speak for the majority of the time rather the kind of 50/50 split with yourself and Joe. I know you were just wanting to convey the voice of our support (which you did) so I'm not being critical and genuinely just want to offer some constructive feedback.

I enjoyed the interview and thanks. I'm looking forward to more podcasts and interviews.

I very much liked his ambition, his references to wanting to do better in the cups and his acknowledgment of our shite away form was interesting to me. let’s hope he can deliver on his aims.

Edited by Djm1874

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Thanks for that interview, been wanting to hear from him talking about Hearts for a while and you did a good interview.

I agree with you that it felt good hearing his views and him being frank about how we performed last season and how he wants us to perform this season and onwards. I felt he got across ambition that has a realistic progression should things go right.

Thought what he was saying about the Womens team manager, Eva Olid, and how her interview went and the presentation she gave was fascinating. Certainly suggests someone who could be a step above your typical appointment for that role.

As others say, talk is cheap and it needs backed up by actions but purely from that interview it seemed like we have someone really professional, hard working and determined in the role who wants to be a successful for the club as possible.

This goes beyond the usual PR pish  type interview. As others have said, the proof will be in the performances we see or at least in the quality of the players he brings in. However, the signs are already there in the recruitment of Lancefield and Brown that we are going for young talent in back room staff who are personally known to him. He should know exactly what he is getting and it sounds like they were his top two targets for those positions. Every one of them needs to be accountable. That has not happened in the recent past.
Hopefully, this will be mirrored in the type of players we bring in. We need young talent capable of playing above our level in the future who can push the team on to the next level. Quite positive signs which, fingers crossed, will translate to better results on the pitch, which is all we as fans ultimately care about. If that is achieved with an entertaining style of play, then all the better.

Good luck to him and his team. Hopefully, they won’t need it.

Edited by hisnameis

6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He won't be the problem, from that video just there, I'm in Love with this guy he's a winner it was almost like listening to myself, he sees the club how i see it and everyone else should, we are a ****ing massive club with huge potential. 

He gets it 😀

Regardless of how it goes, i would love to see what this guy can do with an attacking manager and his recruitment team. 

🤣🤣

8 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As I said in the transfer thread, there’s whelms to be had with this interview. Particularly what he alludes us being close to transfer wise. Not full on whelms, but the promise of whelms, if you will…

What did he say? I'll listen to the full thing later

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm waiting to see if he gets this Player X in.

Made it quite clear if we miss out on player X he’ll move on to player Y. Which makes a change from player WHY 😎

This is My Story Podcast
1 minute ago, Walrus said:

Great interview, well done all involved.  

Always really enjoy  the This Is My Story pod.

Thanks bud. 

Savage was good value. Hoping to have more access to players and coaches etx over the season for more interviews and that. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Great interview ! Good to hear we ain't just gonna dive in and sign players just for sake of it , also good to hear signing targets are being kept hush hush until pen put to paper 

I thought it was brilliant and you got across the points many have being venting here very well.

As others have said it is encouraging that we are taking time etc on signings, far yo many players in the door of poor quality for a while now.

Leveins Battalion

Really enjoyed watching that last night,Joe comes across brilliantly however as we all know we have heard it all before.

He has made key appointments this Summer so I reckon it may be 6 months-1 year before we even start to see the fruits of this.

Good stuff.👍

Edited by Leveins Battalion

A_A wehatethehibs

Only part way through it but the thing that sticks out to me is his initial emphasis on staff rather than just players. 

A lot of folk looking at the business on the players front. But look how highly he spoke of George Brown and Will Lancefield, that tells us a lot about where we are. We are only at the very very beginning these guys are just in the building and they are so important to Mr Savage. 

It is refreshing to see the old baggage replaced with fresh blood in the club, who have no Hearts background and are here solely to make an impact their impact on the club for themselves as individuals and as a staff. You need Hearts men in there of course, but you need that new energy and freshness and Savage has brought that in spades. 

BackOfTheNet
38 minutes ago, Sertse said:

What did he say? I'll listen to the full thing later

Says we have a couple that are very close to being over the line that he’ll be happy “if we manage to pull off”. Which both sounds like we’re close and they’re of quality. What he might see as quality and what the fans would see as quality could be two different things of course. But was nice to hear things look to be close. He also volunteered the information that only one or two people ever know about potential transfers as when he was at Preston of there was ever a leak that they were after a player other Championship clubs would find out and just throw more money at the player at the last minute, so he doesn’t want anything like that happening.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Only part way through it but the thing that sticks out to me is his initial emphasis on staff rather than just players. 

A lot of folk looking at the business on the players front. But look how highly he spoke of George Brown and Will Lancefield, that tells us a lot about where we are. We are only at the very very beginning these guys are just in the building and they are so important to Mr Savage. 

It is refreshing to see the old baggage replaced with fresh blood in the club, who have no Hearts background and are here solely to make an impact their impact on the club for themselves as individuals and as a staff. You need Hearts men in there of course, but you need that new energy and freshness and Savage has brought that in spades. 

Spoke well about the women’s team appointment too. I imagine the team will perform better this season than they did last.

Very good interview points from a fan’s perspective put to Joe very well and thought Joe came across as very focused passionate and hungry to drive the club forward 

9 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

Best signing for the club since budge took control.

I hope so but surely it is a tad early to say that? As it stands we are no further forward under him.

Niemi’s gloves
13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I hope so but surely it is a tad early to say that? As it stands we are no further forward under him.

Perhaps for the first time ever I agree with i8hibsh. The reaction to the podcast is very reminiscent of how in the early days JKB reacted to one of Ann’s lengthy written statements - brilliant, wonderful, etc etc. Now of course the knee jerk  reaction is to look for negatives in anything she says. 

The one thing I’d give credit to JS for so far is what hasn’t happened - there haven’t been lots of mediocre signings. I’ll be relaxed if he doesn’t pull of any “wow” signings this window. But will the majority on here be happy to go with what we’ve got if that’s what it comes to and the right players aren’t available at the right price?

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

colinmaroon
24 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It's 5 minutes past midnight and you think the sun should be high in the sky!!!

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We are light years further forward actually, in terms of as a director from where we were under Leveins directorship characterised by unilateral decisions with no accountability, no professionalism, rushed high risk decisions like Cathro based on gut feeling, turmoil, can't be arsed to hire a real manager so hires himself, collapse, relegated. Would you say we're seeing those same characteristics, same turmoil right now? Is Savage hiding the way Levein did for 5 years? Don't recall Levein ever doing an interview like this. It is early days, but the fans are entitled to be looking forwards again and entitled to be happy about the changes we are seeing. It's a new era at the club.

Enjoyed that, he is really a top guy, I hope this is the start of something special for our club, He certainly talks a very good game and i like the fact he said repeatedly that talk is cheap unless you are doing the business on the pitch or something along those lines, Savage potentially could be our best signing in a long long time, heres hoping.

Carl Fredrickson

A good listen. He appreciates the size of our club and the challenges that brings Re expectations. The recent appointments appear to the reshaping of staff that AB spoke about just before Covid. Outsiders coming in will hopefully have a positive impact - a good mix with the likes of GL who will no doubt pass on his passion for the club to them. 

Joe comes across as the kind of guy I would like to spend an evening in the pub with talking football. Very enthusiastic and I love the line "dream big". 

His love for Edinburgh comes across too and that will hopefully be a huge positive when trying to bring players in. 

Hopefully the quality over quantity will happen. Regardless of whether we have heard of them or not, I will hold back on my whelms until I have seen them play more than a few games. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I was really encouraged when we appointed him. Has the potential to be massively effective. We just need to purge the stench of Budge/Neilson

15 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I was really encouraged when we appointed him. Has the potential to be massively effective. We just need to purge the stench of Budge/Neilson

? - a Budge appointment you're encouraged by but you want budge out?

Edited by Jim Panzee

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Yeah. A broken clock etc.

10 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

can’t speak for DTD, but that’s exactly where I am too. Delighted she’s finally put the building blocks in place for success, but equally delighted that she’s now in the shadows. It’s not a contradiction IMO. Budge, like Romanov, the pieman and Waldo before her, is fast becoming a footnote in our history. The merits of her tenure can be argued all day, but there’s no denying there’s a new breed at the helm at Tynie now, and we can thank those who helped put them there at the same time as we wave goodbye to those who put them there. 🇱🇻