Wireless Earphones

Costanza

Just started getting the dreaded sound cutting out in one ear with my wired earphones. There's only so much twisting on the wire before the sound goes completely in one ear and they go to the earphone heaven in the sky (my bin).

Now looking at wireless earphones (rather than headphones) as assume the sound and cost isn't that much more than wired earphones, so does anyone have any recommendations?
Budget probably up to £100 but not fixed, as guess they will last longer than wired ones.

I use the Bose Soundsport Bluetooth ones. Still a cable linking the two ears together but I don’t trust myself to not lose one if they were just buds. I paid over £120 when I got them a couple of years ago but you can pick them up on Amazon for about £90 now. The sound quality is excellent with better bass than I’ve ever heard from earphones and crisp sound all the way through the frequency range. Also very comfortable and won’t fall out as the rubber tip twists to keep them in place. 

Won a pair of the original AirPods a few years ago and are great would never have paid that but hooked on them and could not do without them certain will get another pair.

Given them as Xmas presents a couple of times now.

Earbuds always stared getting uncomfortable after a short time but these jus hang in your ears and don’t fall out, forget you are wearing them if you pause the sound an just realise a while later.

40 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Just started getting the dreaded sound cutting out in one ear with my wired earphones. There's only so much twisting on the wire before the sound goes completely in one ear and they go to the earphone heaven in the sky (my bin).

Now looking at wireless earphones (rather than headphones) as assume the sound and cost isn't that much more than wired earphones, so does anyone have any recommendations?
Budget probably up to £100 but not fixed, as guess they will last longer than wired ones.

Wired ones will generally last forever if you look after them, but like you, I never do either 😂😂 Wireless ones will eventually stop holding their charge though so do have a lifespan.

That said, I recently switched to wireless ones and wouldn't go back.

I got sony wh-1000xm3 which are excellent but a fair bit over your budget, and the newer m4s more so.

That said, I'd say it was well worth the money.

They also do in-ear ones sony wf-1000xm3 which may be more your thing and a better match for your budget. There's also a newer version of them and I can't tell you the ins and outs of the differences but on the over ear ones I decided that the upgrades weren't worth it and at no stage have I thought, I wish I got the newer ones.

Reason I didn't go in ear wireless is I'm certain I'd lose them.

I wear them most days hence the ridiculous price, I'm not lavish in general 😂

Edited by Taffin

Air pods, head phones, ear phones pffffft.

What you need is a Bluetooth speaker and a small backpack.

People think you are so cool they stop what they are doing and stare at you😎👍

been here before

Normally like a bit of Bose gear but picked myself up a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds+ about 6 months ago.

Really cant fault them.to be honest. The dugs for your ears. You should be able to pick them up for under 100 these days.

Infact Argos are doing them at 99 sheets just now.

Edited by been here before

I'd be after a pair of sony WF-1000XM3 for that budget. Can get forclose to £100 if you shop around.

I got these 2 years ago and think they are amazing on trains etc. Very very comfortable 

SENNHEISER PXC 550-II Wireless Bluetooth Noise-Cancelling Headphones

Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless Headphone with Alexa Built-In, Noise Cancellation and Smart Pause - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XYLPPSL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0Y26QCXZ7NCCP74XERZH

Edited by 1971fozzy

What are the best wireless ear muff headphones? (I dont know what they are called)

Up to about £50.

Edited by Pap

Just now, Pap said:

What are the best wireless ear muff headphones? (I dont know what they are called)

Headphones.

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I use the Bose Soundsport Bluetooth ones. Still a cable linking the two ears together but I don’t trust myself to not lose one if they were just buds. I paid over £120 when I got them a couple of years ago but you can pick them up on Amazon for about £90 now. The sound quality is excellent with better bass than I’ve ever heard from earphones and crisp sound all the way through the frequency range. Also very comfortable and won’t fall out as the rubber tip twists to keep them in place. 

I have an old pair of Bluetooth sport earphones but battery life not massive and was planning on keeping that pair solely for running as the battery life suits my running enthusiasm. These certainly look much better sound wise as well, which I guess you would expect from Bose.

2 hours ago, Biko said:

Won a pair of the original AirPods a few years ago and are great would never have paid that but hooked on them and could not do without them certain will get another pair.

Given them as Xmas presents a couple of times now.

Earbuds always stared getting uncomfortable after a short time but these jus hang in your ears and don’t fall out, forget you are wearing them if you pause the sound an just realise a while later.

I always assumed air pods didn't work on android but just looked up and apparently not the case. Mind you, I didn't use Apple earphones with my old iPod...

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Wired ones will generally last forever if you look after them, but like you, I never do either 😂😂 Wireless ones will eventually stop holding their charge though so do have a lifespan.

That said, I recently switched to wireless ones and wouldn't go back.

I got sony wh-1000xm3 which are excellent but a fair bit over your budget, and the newer m4s more so.

That said, I'd say it was well worth the money.

They also do in-ear ones sony wf-1000xm3 which may be more your thing and a better match for your budget. There's also a newer version of them and I can't tell you the ins and outs of the differences but on the over ear ones I decided that the upgrades weren't worth it and at no stage have I thought, I wish I got the newer ones.

Reason I didn't go in ear wireless is I'm certain I'd lose them.

I wear them most days hence the ridiculous price, I'm not lavish in general 😂

I have tried numerous ways to prevent the sound issues with the wires but always the same end result! Even putting away in a case each day once finished.Probably walking around constantly in my pocket is the problem.
It's a good point about paying a bit more for something you use a lot. Pre lockdown I would be using every day but from home, no real need, although my dog might not agree...

Thanks all for the suggestions,  much appreciated. Bose, Samsung, Sony and Cambridge all look good so will do a bit more digging.

2 hours ago, Longbaws said:

Air pods, head phones, ear phones pffffft.

What you need is a Bluetooth speaker and a small backpack.

People think you are so cool they stop what they are doing and stare at you😎👍

😀 Maybe not with my music taste..

Definitely cooler though than me back in the day trying to fit my discman into my jeans pocket and looking like a right twat.

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Thanks all for the suggestions,  much appreciated. Bose, Samsung, Sony and Cambridge all look good so will do a bit more digging.

Consider RHA.

One of the best around - also a Scottish company. 

True Connect 2 is their entry level wireless headphones and highly rated (£80 on Amazon just now). 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I've used these for a year and a half now. Charge lasts ages, decent sound, stay in my ear even when out for a run (very rare), easy to operate and no connection issues.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Audio-Melomania-Wireless-Earbuds-Black/dp/B08XBC91CG?th=1&psc=1

I can vouch for these too. Been using them for over a year and the sound is great. Easy to control with simple taps to the main button on each bud. 

FYI, I sourced them for under £100 and Richer Sounds honoured a price match. 😉 

7 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Consider RHA.

One of the best around - also a Scottish company. 

True Connect 2 is their entry level wireless headphones and highly rated (£80 on Amazon just now). 

👍

21 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I can vouch for these too. Been using them for over a year and the sound is great. Easy to control with simple taps to the main button on each bud. 

FYI, I sourced them for under £100 and Richer Sounds honoured a price match. 😉 

Cheers, I passed there at weekend actually as we took our daughter to the museum but assumed they would be a bit more expensive. Good to know about the price match so will take a look.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Cheers, I passed there at weekend actually as we took our daughter to the museum but assumed they would be a bit more expensive. Good to know about the price match so will take a look.

👍 I believe the only stipulations is that the seller of the lower price has to have a physical store (therefore not ebay, Amazon etc) and it's also a new item (not refurbished). 

What HiFi have a decent review of them. https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/cambridge-audio-melomania-1

Cambridge launched a newer version of these but Ive not read any of the reviews. 

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

I have tried numerous ways to prevent the sound issues with the wires but always the same end result! Even putting away in a case each day once finished.Probably walking around constantly in my pocket is the problem.
It's a good point about paying a bit more for something you use a lot. Pre lockdown I would be using every day but from home, no real need, although my dog might not agree...

A sort of solution to it I did once was to wrap the cable that was attached to the headphones with a clip so it stayed short and then got an extension 3.5mm cable to keep them original one out of my pocket line and just replaced that when it broke. Eventually I broke the actual headphones 😂😂

It's an option, but I must say, I've loved having wireless ones!! And sound quality is much, much better over Bluetooth these days than previously.

Edited by Taffin

10 hours ago, Costanza said:

Worth checking Shure wired headphones. The earbuds connect to the cable (rather than being all in one) so if the cable does go, it’s pretty inexpensive to replace. I presume they changed to this method as they do a two year warranty and my cable used to always go after about 23 months so I was always getting new headphones! Sound quality is fantastic. 

7 minutes ago, Zico said:

Worth checking Shure wired headphones. The earbuds connect to the cable (rather than being all in one) so if the cable does go, it’s pretty inexpensive to replace. I presume they changed to this method as they do a two year warranty and my cable used to always go after about 23 months so I was always getting new headphones! Sound quality is fantastic. 

Good suggestion and cool that they do that. It was actually shure headphones I used to add my own extension to to try and prolong their life.

Great headphones.

33 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nothing better than crowding around the bloke who, every match at around 4.40pm, used to pull it out and stick it to his ear before letting us know what was happening all over the country.

I was more thinking about the other kind of tranny mate :laugh2:

I just couldnt find the Kenneth Wiliams smilie.

In a past life as a DJ i've had most brands of headphones varying in price up to around the £500 mark and I have to say the sound quality on the wireless Beats X (acquired free with a phone upgrade) really surprised me, I'd always placed Beats kit as style over substance but they definitely changed my mind and on a simply value for money basis (now under £50) they are probably up there as one of the best headphone's i've had. 

14 hours ago, Costanza said:

I was given a pair of tecevo wireless earphones 3 years ago, I think they only cost around 50 quid. Sound is still decent as well as battery life. They recently went through the washing machine as I forgot to take them out my pocket, still work just as good.

18 hours ago, Costanza said:

😀 Maybe not with my music taste..

Definitely cooler though than me back in the day trying to fit my discman into my jeans pocket and looking like a right twat.

A Discman, you say? You youngsters had it good!

The cool dude with the ghetto blaster. 😆

Edited by Wee Mikey

jack D and coke

Was thinking about starting a thread actually. Must’ve knocked an AirPod out when I took my fecking mask off today coming out supermarket. Noticed I had only one in when drove out car park and went back for a look and there it was…about the width of a ten pence piece 😭😂

Quite like the look of the Cambridge ones. I’ll have a wee dig though. 

Footballfirst

I don't use headphones that much but I caught a "Reggie in China" programme on BBC2 the other night (it's probably a year or two old).  One of the pieces was about Nuraphone headphones which adapt to your own hearing and adjust the output to make up for any weaknesses.

I don't know if anyone has tried them but they looked a great solution.

https://www.nuraphone.com/pages/how-it-works

https://www.nuraphone.com/products/nuraphone

Edited by Footballfirst

Greedy Jambo

I'm not a fan of headphones, i'll use them if i need to hear left and right on a computer game, but in general, i'd rather still be able to hear what's going on around me. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm not a fan of headphones, i'll use them if i need to hear left and right on a computer game, but in general, i'd rather still be able to hear what's going on around me. 

You don't need to have them so loud and your can turn off noise cancellation for that.

22 hours ago, Zico said:

I wish I'd known about this years ago! The amount of earphones I've chucked out because of the cable (well might be more how I treat them)

18 hours ago, superjack said:

I was given a pair of tecevo wireless earphones 3 years ago, I think they only cost around 50 quid. Sound is still decent as well as battery life. They recently went through the washing machine as I forgot to take them out my pocket, still work just as good.

Cheers, will add them to my list to take a look at

7 hours ago, Costanza said:

I wish I'd known about this years ago! The amount of earphones I've chucked out because of the cable (well might be more how I treat them)

I thought a detachable cable was standard these days? The sennheiser momentum's I bought many years ago had, and my wireless Sony XM3's also have a cable you can attach. 

13 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I thought a detachable cable was standard these days? The sennheiser momentum's I bought many years ago had, and my wireless Sony XM3's also have a cable you can attach. 

I didn't think it was in the wired earphones I've been buying but it's not impossible I'm stupid enough not to have realised...

A Boy Named Crow

I've had a pair of Jabra 75t Active earphones for a few months.  The sound has been excellent,  bit now the left one is almost completely silent. 

It's not earwax, it's not a settings issue, it's not the firmware. It seems there's a common hardware problem, I'm currently trying to get them replaced under warranty.  

For that reason,  couldn't recommend, which is a shame, they were great... till they weren't.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

• 1 month later...

I've been deliberating over bluetooth in-ears for a while now as it's far too hot to wear my headphones outside throughout the summer and they're not as comfortable with a wooly hat in the winter (that's an issue for us with less folicles than we might like).

I often overthink these things but they basically had to have some sort of water resistance, touch controls, and have a fairly pure sound. Quite a lot of them fall down at some stage with many being a bit heavy on the bass. I thought I was going to end up with Sennheiser CX true wireless or Yamaha TW E3A's but there's just been a decent price drop on Sennheisers Momentum 2's so I've just ordered them instead. I used to have a pair of the original momentum on-ears and the sound was amazing so I'm hoping for more of the same (I had to give them away because my sticky out rigid ears used to ache after about twenty minutes of use).

It seems there are plenty of decent options out there!

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

On the contrary. Meet folk from around the world and from all walks of life. PL footballers one minute, housewives the next. Everyone has a unique story to tell and my job is to help them tell it. Love it :) 

Used to be F2F and got to travel the world doing it, staying in top-notch hotels and seeing places that I'd never have dreamed of. WFH has changed that a bit, but still enjoy the work.

Ah! I thought you meant job interviews!

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

I've been using Sony WF XB700  for the last year, think they were about £35. Couldn't wear them for ages, but I use them for doing c.20-30 10-minute interviews a day for work, and they do the job. Clear quality, long battery.

Thanks jonesy. Will take a look.