GMS

lou

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The thing about Walker is he is good for at least 5-10 goals from midfield even if he's frustrating at times.

He is quite effective from the bench. He could be a Super Sub this season and if he embraces it, he may have the best season of his career, because only playing 30 minutes per game will conserve his chocolate knees. He can't sustain 90 minute football every week so use him where he can do most damage, late in games. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He is quite effective from the bench. He could be a Super Sub this season and if he embraces it, he may have the best season of his career, because only playing 30 minutes per game will conserve his chocolate knees. He can't sustain 90 minute football every week so use him where he can do most damage, late in games. 

Definitely. He's 28 - the peak age for a footballer. If he's fit he should be raring to go and be the player we know he can be. Can't help but wonder if injuries are still affecting him, even mentally.

16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The thing about Walker is he is good for at least 5-10 goals from midfield even if he's frustrating at times.

We just seem to have had so many players in recent years who can be completely ineffective for entire games, particularly attacking players. Clare, Roberts and Walker are some examples. I guess it’s a bit of a trade off but we need more players who have the occasional bad game and not the odd good one. 

The White Cockade
7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I heard he was garbage last night, was this the case please?

Why are you interested?

you hate Hearts

8 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Can we start calling him Gaz? That's what his team mates call him. GMS is too Celticky/Aberdeeny/Unitedy for me. I'm calling him Gaz from now on. 

Gaz is a bit too “two pints of lagery” for me. I suggest we refer to him as Jamesyboi

Edited by sadj

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I heard he was garbage last night, was this the case please?

Pay yer money n watch da games then youll know. Whoever told you that has as much knowledge of Hearts these days as you do

9 hours ago, Dazo said:

I think there will be a lot of can’t be arsed looking performances then a moment of brilliance to make us forget. 

Think this is about right. He was in and out of the game last night and I was ragin at the sclaff before his superb finish.

it’ll do for me

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This is irrational, impatient pessimism and dreadful lack support for a new player at the club. To call him a major disappointment is a premature, drama queen conclusion, based on a short 3 months of dead rubber, empty park football last season, at a time where the league was basically already won when he arrived and a dozen depressing players Berra, White, Irving etc who all knew they were on the way out as soon as the promotion job was done. 

Irrespective of whether GMS turns out good or bad with his real Hearts career now beginning, you strike me as the type who will remain pessimistic and negative either way.

I said he has been a major disappointed after 20 or so games…….that can’t be a premature statement.

I really don’t give a shit how I come across to you tbh…..it won’t affect me giving what I feel are honest views.

Making random, stab in the dark excuses for the terrible start to his Hearts career is unusual……it’s ok to say a player hasn’t done well…..you don’t lose Loyalty Points or anything like that.

Blaming his awful performances on Aidy White being out of contract is just desperate……he’s an experienced pro and not some 18 year old coming in from the cold. 

I want him to do well……we need him to do well…..but as yet he’s had a small handful of decent matches against pish teams. That’s just a fact.

Guest ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

There are zero doubts he had the quality required……..but better players than GMS have moved to clubs and not performed to the same level for one reason or another.

So……..based on the 20 or so games he’s played so far I’d say he’s been a major disappointment. Until he reaches the consistent standard he reached with those afore mentioned teams, I’ll consider my opinion to be an accurate one.

Some of his performances against part time players last season were absolutely shocking and if it had been a loan deal with a view to buy we probably wouldn’t have taken up the option……that is how bad he was.

I doubt this will be the last thread on this subject this season tbh.

How many of these 20 games were in a front 3? He looks very useful there. Kind of how JC played as a third forward instead of as an out and out winger.

Edited by ToqueJambo

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

How many of these 20 games were in a front 3? He looks very useful there. Kind of how JC played as a third forward instead of as an out and out winger.

He was signed as wide man though………

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

He was signed as wide man though………

So was JC. Players play in different formations all the time. Is he playing well in a 3 or not? 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I said he has been a major disappointed after 20 or so games…….that can’t be a premature statement.

I really don’t give a shit how I come across to you tbh…..it won’t affect me giving what I feel are honest views.

Making random, stab in the dark excuses for the terrible start to his Hearts career is unusual……it’s ok to say a player hasn’t done well…..you don’t lose Loyalty Points or anything like that.

Blaming his awful performances on Aidy White being out of contract is just desperate……he’s an experienced pro and not some 18 year old coming in from the cold. 

I want him to do well……we need him to do well…..but as yet he’s had a small handful of decent matches against pish teams. That’s just a fact.

Meanwhile the rest of us are feeling good and reasonably happy (not jumping for joy, just reasonably happy) about the progress Gaz is showing after his slow start. He's a good lad and he has the full backing of the fans. Yep, off to a bit of a slow start after travelling across from covid-destroyed MLS career, and in the initial handful of games, a few flat draws away at inverness etc. Was quite good in the 4-0 vs Raith and a couple of other OK games but, up and down. Nobody is fussed about that non-event of a season anyway. Goes down as a forgettable / already forgotten one but promotion, job done. The real mission is this season which is to rebuild our Premiership top 6 status and he is a great asset in that challenge now that Neilson has managed to empty 20 odd relegation wastes of space players. For some reason, you're depressed and miserable so will leave you to wallow in that. Hopefully you're nowhere near Tynecastle as you'd make the atmosphere worse and possibly damage the team performance with your negative energies which affect your fellow jambos. Nobody wants to be around that.  Cheerio 

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

So was JC. Players play in different formations all the time. Is he playing well in a 3 or not? 

I’m sure of the point in all this tbh……I said he’d been a major disappointment so far. Now I can’t be the only one thinking this…..so much so if he’d been great out on the wing…the position he was signed to play we’d have kept him there as let’s be honest…..we are hardly flush with those types.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Meanwhile the rest of us are feeling good and reasonably happy (not jumping for joy, just reasonably happy) about the progress Gaz is showing after his slow start. He's a good lad and he has the full backing of the fans. Yep, off to a bit of a slow start after travelling across from covid-destroyed MLS career, and in the initial handful of games, a few flat draws away at inverness etc. Was quite good in the 4-0 vs Raith and a couple of other OK games but, up and down. Nobody is fussed about that non-event of a season anyway. Goes down as a forgettable / already forgotten one but promotion, job done. The real mission is this season which is to rebuild our Premiership top 6 status and he is a great asset in that challenge now that Neilson has managed to empty 20 odd relegation wastes of space players. For some reason, you're depressed and miserable so will leave you to wallow in that. Hopefully you're nowhere near Tynecastle as you'd make the atmosphere worse and possibly damage the team performance with your negative energies which affect your fellow jambos. Nobody wants to be around that.  Cheerio 

Yeah…..blame Aidy White and now Covid 🤣

Can you think of anything else you’d like take a guess at why he kept on falling over the ball and generally looking like he was drunk whilst playing ? Maybe that’s it…..you should blame vodka…..I mean you’ve taken a punt at just about everything else.

Just say he was pish for the majority of his Hearts career to date and stop trying to argue…..it’s futile as there is no way you can possibly say I’m wrong 😊

tartofmidlothian
9 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

Bold statement after only a handful of good performances.

Maybe, but from pretty much the minute he was moved up front he's been producing the goods.

So he's Gaz and he's a wide boy.  I like the sound of him.  Can't wait to see him at the Giro.  Put money on him sorting them out.

I know it's very early but I think things are looking good.  In fairness to Neilson, despite our well justified criticisms from last season, he seems to have the dressing room right behind him and is looking to entertain.

Gaz is one of many who can do us a really good turn I believe.

10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

So he's Gaz and he's a wide boy.  I like the sound of him.  Can't wait to see him at the Giro.  Put money on him sorting them out.

I know it's very early but I think things are looking good.  In fairness to Neilson, despite our well justified criticisms from last season, he seems to have the dressing room right behind him and is looking to entertain.

Gaz is one of many who can do us a really good turn I believe.

Wait a minute let’s not get to ahead of ourselves we’ve not played anybody yet. I like the enthusiasm but to do well in the Premiership we’ll need to match much better players and we are still short in a minimum of 3 positions, Centre Back, Attacking Midfield and Striker. And I’m talking about wages at the top of our budget. 

Fingers crossed this is him actually starting to turn up for us now, he’s pretty much been paid for the past few months to play shite against part time teams. 

12 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I’m sure of the point in all this tbh……I said he’d been a major disappointment so far. Now I can’t be the only one thinking this…..so much so if he’d been great out on the wing…the position he was signed to play we’d have kept him there as let’s be honest…..we are hardly flush with those types.

Think major disappointment is a bit harsh but he definitely needs to do more and do it more consistently. Hopefully playing in the top league brings the best out of him. 

1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Really ?

How does that work ?

Ask Neilson……he’s the one who said it at the time.

34 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Think major disappointment is a bit harsh but he definitely needs to do more and do it more consistently. Hopefully playing in the top league brings the best out of him. 

It’s not harsh at all…….he’s been no better than distinctly average for about 75% of the games he’s played for us.

You have to be majorly disappointed with that level of contribution considering what we know he is capable of and the standard of opposition we faced.

This guys is on big money and has toiled far more often than not so far.

It’s definitely time he stepped up a gear.

If GMS and Gino can consistently play their best game we have some front 3 with Boyce. On paper, the most exciting in a long time. 

6 goals in his last 4 matches is very promising, not expecting him to keep up that sort of rate but hopefully he can perform in the premiership.

The thing with GMS and players like him is, if things aren't coming off for him when he has the ball, he's not going to make up for it off the ball. Because of this I expect a lot of praise for him when we win games and a lot of criticism for him when we lose

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

In what context ?

Em……

He said we needed another wide man so he was delighted to sign GMS.

5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Em……

Em.......

and that is the only position he will play 

44 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Em.......

and that is the only position he will play 

Em…..

Clearly not.

But let’s get back to the argument…….

He’s been a major disappointment thus far.

20 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Em…..

Clearly not.

But let’s get back to the argument…….

He’s been a major disappointment thus far.

I was pointing out that it was , more than a little , daft to state (unequivocally) that he is a wide man .

No argument about him being a major disappointment .

Hes not 

25 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

I was pointing out that it was , more than a little , daft to state (unequivocally) that he is a wide man .

No argument about him being a major disappointment .

Hes not 

Neilson stated he was brought in as a wide man though……

And if his performances in around 75% of Hearts matches hasn’t been anything other than a disappointment then you are one easily pleased John Thomas.

24 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Neilson stated he was brought in as a wide man though……

And if his performances in around 75% of Hearts matches hasn’t been anything other than a disappointment then you are one easily pleased John Thomas.

First sentence ? Maybe you should reread my post 

GMS came in took a wee while to settle and then improved 

You'd have to be a right dick to call that a major disappointment

Robbo-Jambo
8 hours ago, DH1986 said:

It’s not harsh at all…….he’s been no better than distinctly average for about 75% of the games he’s played for us.

You have to be majorly disappointed with that level of contribution considering what we know he is capable of and the standard of opposition we faced.

This guys is on big money and has toiled far more often than not so far.

It’s definitely time he stepped up a gear.

Yes he has been disappointing overall so far but from the last few games of last season I think he has actually stepped up a gear.

Also think there is another couple of gears to come, hopefully anyway.

Still think he needs to toughen up a bit though.

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

First sentence ? Maybe you should reread my post 

GMS came in took a wee while to settle and then improved 

You'd have to be a right dick to call that a major disappointment

He had to improve…..he was utterly horrendous that first dozen or so matches. The way you’re going on you’d think he’d arrived here from Outer Space.

I make no apologies for expecting much much more from GMS.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It is said that you are only as good as your last game.  

He has been very good in his last half dozen games so that's a bonus.

Anyone with any knowledge of the game can see that he is a quality player who is, as I said yesterday, not specifically a wide man. 

Nor was he at Aberdeen. 

I'm confident he will do well this season alongside Boyce and Gino.

There are goals in those three.

Jonno, I think the lad has had a bit of a battle lately with fitness, ( note Gino knocking him over at his goal celebration) but one thing you can’t take from someone, and that is skill , GMS has that in abundance, Now, if we could just get him to develop that love for Hearts? Then, boy, would we have a winner 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Em……

He is playing as a wide man, just not an out and out winger. He's playing wide in a front 3. I also thought he looked good in the middle mind you.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

He had to improve…..he was utterly horrendous that first dozen or so matches. The way you’re going on you’d think he’d arrived here from Outer Space.

I make no apologies for expecting much much more from GMS.

You mean against those 10 man defences we faced? Against teams that try to win against us - which should be most of them this season - he'll get more joy.