The new LED floodlights...

kila

Nice that they are now cheaper to run LEDs but not quite the same brightness or coverage as the old ones I thought.

The boxes were noticeably duller than the centre of the pitch and given the cost of the upgrade it's a bit disappointing. Maybe they just need to aim a few more lights at the boxes!

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Were you at the game? Can't say I noticed on the stream 

Aye, maybe only noticeable in person.

Hearts of Vladland

There is a lot less lights on each pillar than there used to be, it about half the amount that used to be there. It will have been sold at a certain light level which will have been acceptable to play at the level we play at.

Jambos_1874

I was at the game and thought they were really good and the pitch was well illuminated. More generally I thought the stadium looked brilliant. Looked like a number of seats had been replaced, the trusses cleaned up/repainted and the pitch looked in great condition. Only negative is the steps up to the Roseburn Stand are very corroded!

kingantti1874

I thought it looked great on TV.  Consistent spread of light and no dark spots 

Edited by kingantti1874

Hearts of Vladland

FWIW, I never noticed the dark spots from the Gorgie stand and I had took a interest in the lights. I found it strange the lights on came on at half time, we had the lights on most games of the last premiership season even at 12 o’clock kick offs on sunny days.

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

LED is a softer less obvious light than the previous discharge lamps that were replaced. 

and probably doesn't show as well after a bright sunny day than a dull November

6 minutes ago, Hearts of Vladland said:

FWIW, I never noticed the dark spots from the Gorgie stand and I had took a interest in the lights. I found it strange the lights on came on at half time, we had the lights on most games of the last premiership season even at 12 o’clock kick offs on sunny days.

It was a dull evening and probably could've done with the lights being on during the end of the first half. By full time it was gloomy and raining and I can only assume the floodlights were on full beam because the sun had already set.

I wouldn't say there's dark spots, just uneven distribution of light and the boxes, from my higher up view anyway, had less light being beamed on than the centre of the pitch, which from being sat in the goal end made the opposite goal look noticeably dimmer.

But if no one else noticed then maybe I'm going mad!

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, kila said:

It was a dull evening and probably could've done with the lights being on during the end of the first half. By full time it was gloomy and raining and I can only assume the floodlights were on full beam because the sun had already set.

I wouldn't say there's dark spots, just uneven distribution of light and the boxes, from my higher up view anyway, had less light being beamed on than the centre of the pitch, which from being sat in the goal end made the opposite goal look noticeably dimmer.

Could they look lighter on a properly dark night perhaps?

Couldn’t notice on tv..

12 minutes ago, kila said:

Nowt wrong with your eyes. Defo duller in the corners and much brighter in the middle. 

August Landmesser

I was watching on telly (the big telly) and it was noticeably dimmer in the Gorgie End penalty box than up the touchline  or in the corners.

Not so dim that it was a worry, just a perceptible difference in light levels

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, kila said:

Nice that they are now cheaper to run LEDs but not quite the same brightness or coverage as the old ones I thought.

The boxes were noticeably duller than the centre of the pitch and given the cost of the upgrade it's a bit disappointing. Maybe they just need to aim a few more lights at the boxes!

I thought they were brighter!!! Although normally I've a worms eye view in row 4 and was row 27 tonight.

Back of the Bus

25 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Nowt wrong with your eyes. Defo duller in the corners and much brighter in the middle. 

I was at the very back of the Gorgie and noticed this. Obviously still within regulation but it’s not as bright as the previous set up. 

tynietigers

I believe the new lights not only are more efficient but they adapt to the cameras better 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

I was at the game and never noticed any difference. Will pay more attention next time.

same here 🤷🏻‍♂️

They certainly switched on quickly, no warm up required! Can't say I noticed any difference in the quality of the lighting?

8 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Can't say I noticed. 

Snap, saying that I didn’t even know we had changed them. Pitch looked perfectly lit to me. 

Can’t say I noticed either?

Maybe launch a miners helmet with the new away strip if we feel there’s a problem?🤪

All roads lead to Gorgie

Slightly less bright to my eyes but I am sure in the weeks to come I will hardly notice that. The savings in costs will be beneficial as they can go to boost the team on the pitch. A brighter future (sorry) for the club.

3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Can’t say I noticed either?

Maybe launch a miners helmet with the new away strip if we feel there’s a problem?🤪

:laugh:

11 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

I was watching on telly (the big telly) and it was noticeably dimmer in the Gorgie End penalty box than up the touchline  or in the corners.

Not so dim that it was a worry, just a perceptible difference in light levels

I was there and agree but sitting in the Gorgie it was the Roseburn end that looked darker. Lights were fine but the old lights really lit up the ground creating that midweek buzz. Maybe need to crank them up to 11 🙂

Perth to Paisley

I wasn't at the game but on tv you could clearly see 4 shadows on each player.

I can't recall it being so evident before - made me think the lights were brighter!

13 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I was at the game and never noticed any difference. 

Enough of our starting XI what about the floodlights?

Didn't notice anything via Hearts world, mind you 720p isn't that great for watching a football match, let alone viewing lux levels on a lcd panel. 

3 hours ago, kila said:

1.jpg.7ed818d51fa923238313aae7c5d70ab2.jpg

Pitch looked cracking last night on TV noticed wee patches on the grass running centre of the pitch from box to box must be the grass what has the sprinklers under it. It was more noticeable on tv than in this picture but ran along those lines from D to D 

Sprinklers OUt 😁

image.png.f41cee98a56f4e37357a4b515182a85b.png

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Pitch looked cracking last night on TV noticed wee patches on the grass running centre of the pitch from box to box must be the grass what has the sprinklers under it. It was more noticeable on tv than in this picture but ran along those lines from D to D 

Sprinklers OUt 😁

image.png.f41cee98a56f4e37357a4b515182a85b.png

Grass analytics taking over from dot counting. 😄

The Mighty Thor

UEFA/SFA set the lighting standards for professional clubs so i'm 100% the new LED floods will be compliant to that standard and also the requirement for HD broadcasting. 

I thought they looked good on the TV stream 👍

Only watched on TV and picked up on the light and shady patches. Wasn’t sure if it was the lights or just some shading in the grass colour. I’m sure those who were there will know better what the issue is, if there is one that is

Dougie Masterton

I was in the Wheatfield stand section C and said to my mate that both boxes looked darker than the middle of the pitch. 

August Landmesser
Just now, Dougie Masterton said:

I was in the Wheatfield stand section C and said to my mate that both boxes looked darker than the middle of the pitch. 

:oohmatron:

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight's game confirms they are a bit naff. Really bright from the D's to the centre circle, darker in the boxers and corners.

Just flicking back the goals on the telly and the corners look terrible :laugh:

davemclaren
35 minutes ago, kila said:

Tonight's game confirms they are a bit naff. Really bright from the D's to the centre circle, darker in the boxers and corners.

Just flicking back the goals on the telly and the corners look terrible :laugh:

Never noticed when in the ground to be honest. 

Never noticed.

Maybe different in the darker evening games whether better or worse but hardly worth conversation until then. 

• 1 year later...