The Open

Maroon Sailor

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Exhibit A and B by McIlroy on the par 5 7th. 

A wild drive well left, hacked back out onto the fairway, a piss poor iron for his 3rd short and right, indifferent pitch, average two putt from 12 feet. Put a 6 on your card.

A total contrast from McIlroy on the 14th, the second of the par 5s.

A controlled 3 wood onto the fairway, a solid iron to the middle of the green, eagle chance, tap in birdie.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Cruyff

• Victorian

• Samuel Camazzola

3 hours ago, kila said:

Hate when they switch from the pro tracer camera to the aerial view just before they hit it... I'd rather pro tracer every shot. Especially on windy days, get to see the shape.

They didn't seem to have the pro tracer in the early coverage and the cameramen were like the auto cameras during the warm up at football😂

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

A total contrast from McIlroy on the 14th, the second of the par 5s.

A controlled 3 wood onto the fairway, a solid iron to the middle of the green, eagle chance, tap in birdie.

Same hole, Fleetwood opted for iron from the tee to ensure hitting the fairway. Hooked it into the thick stuff. 

Chopped out sideways to avoid dunking it into the hazard. Third shot from quite a bit back but played it beautifully on to the dance floor. Rolled it un for an unlikely 4!

Anyone see that grotesque yippy putting from Zalatoris?  Missed from 18" with the worst putting stroke imaginable.  I think I'll have nightmares about that,  let alone him.

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anyone see that grotesque yippy putting from Zalatoris?  Missed from 18" with the worst putting stroke imaginable.  I think I'll have nightmares about that,  let alone him.

I saw his putt on 18 i think. Just 😂

There's a few of them that are ropey inside 5 feet. Thomas & McIlroy were at it. 

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I saw his putt on 18 i think. Just 😂

There's a few of them that are ropey inside 5 feet. Thomas & McIlroy were at it. 

Never seen anything as horrific as that.  Seems to have a right hand claw grip.  He could barely take it back.  Item No1 for tomorrow.  Ditch the wanky claw grip.  Work out a reasonable conventional right under left putting grip on the practice green.  Get on with it.

Mccllroy is always dugshit first round. Wouldn't look too much into that. 

The fact that Speith is in there early doors tells me it's that he and Oosthuizen will probably be in the same positions come Saturday night. 

McIlroy often looks like he's coasting.  Playing a bounce game with a few mates.  Probably too erratic to challenge at the top,  especially if the putter stays cold.

Pasquale for King

Course looks fantastic and extremely challenging, great to see some of the shots the players are having to play. 
Hope the wind keeps blowing. 

8 hours ago, Victorian said:

It looked shorter than 18", he cant initiate the back stroke (if there is one) on the very short putts. His mates must've gave him too many gimmies in his younger years. His putting brain needs re-wired, hope he gets it fixed. 

His 'backswing' went horribly inside the line and he returned the putter outside.  A bit like a 'pop-in' stroke which is fine for slick greens but only if the putting action is sound.  The right hand claw has got to go.  There's all kinds of ways you can re-set your putting action.  He could carry his hands high and splay his elbows.  Use a shoulder rocking motion.  

The Mighty Thor

Anyone read DeChambeau's meltdown after yesterday's round?

Ranting on about how shit his driver is because it doesn't go straight if you don't hit it straight 🤔

What an absolute helmet. I hope Cobra tell him to bolt. 

Harry Potter
17 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Exhibit A and B by McIlroy on the par 5 7th. 

A wild drive well left, hacked back out onto the fairway, a piss poor iron for his 3rd short and right, indifferent pitch, average two putt from 12 feet. Put a 6 on your card.

Dont understand pros trying to gain 30 yds from the tee to end up in the rough, Bryson looks so awkword in his prep for a drive, looks all stiff and certainly not relaxed.

1 minute ago, JWL said:

Bogey at the first for Rory. Why does Justin Thomas always look as though he's lost 10 bucks and found a dime.

Nice coloured hoodie though!

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Anyone read DeChambeau's meltdown after yesterday's round?

Ranting on about how shit his driver is because it doesn't go straight if you don't hit it straight 🤔

What an absolute helmet. I hope Cobra tell him to bolt. 

He is. I don't think many of his fellow pros like him either, he takes an age to hit a shot and will greet about anything to get his ball moved for a better lie. I think it was last year he was greeting about there being ants near his ball because he had a shan lie. 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

He is. I don't think many of his fellow pros like him either, he takes an age to hit a shot and will greet about anything to get his ball moved for a better lie. I think it was last year he was greeting about there being ants near his ball because he had a shan lie. 

Should concentrate on finding the fairway, ants, lol, beyond me.

Malinga the Swinga

I know MacIntyre hasn't started great, but is there a reason why BBC coverage completely ignoring him.

We see every shot Rory M and Patrick Reed play and they're over par. We even see the two guys playing with MacIntyre but nothing from him.

Heading same way as US coverage of only showing select few players.

Zalatoris has had enough, he's withdrawn. Saw him jar his wrist in he rough yesterday, maybe that's what was wrong with his putting...

So turns out Zalatoris was injured yesterday. Explains the bad putt I guess.

Anyways he has withdrawn

Edit - Jesus only 16mins late

Edited by Jeff

No chance has that injury had the slightest bearing on his putting.  He hurt himself and it's either bad enough to withdraw or he's used it as sn excuse to.

Collin Morikawa is a wonderful golfer. Some round for him today for his first ever Open, shoulda broken the course record. Certainly put himself in contention. 

I P Knightley
15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No chance has that injury had the slightest bearing on his putting.  He hurt himself and it's either bad enough to withdraw or he's used it as sn excuse to.

True.

I can well imagine that tackling that rough the way these guys do could easily lead to a hurty-hurty; especially if they haven't developed their wrist muscles using my patented exercises.

However, how much wrist does a guy need to put the ball 18 inches? He looked like he was trying to swat a wasp and the ball got in the way.

I feel sorry for him that he's hurt his spanner to the extent that he can't continue but it's not the cause of that bad putt.

How long has golf existed and how recently did people decide that they need to hold the putter differently to every other club?

Zalatoris may have damaged nerves, tendons, experts on here ken best though...

Zal didn't get to where he is by being shit scarred or unable to hole putts inside 17" FFS!

Edited by OBE

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Hatton snapping his club now

Accidental or in a fit of rage? hope it's the later...

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

McIlroy is having another shit show.

Will he ever get back to his best because his brain looks scrambled ?

I hope he does.

Nah I like seeing him fading away don't like the hype over him and the attention. 

22 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Love the Open but a couple of gripes. 

I wish there were more 'tracer' shots.

Arseholes applauding when a player holes for a bogey. 

Dicks. 

There is such a thing as a good bogey...

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

He is a battler though as shown at the 18th. 

He doesn't court attention like Koepka and de Chambeau thankfully. 

They are a pair of arseholes.

Yeah I do agree with that over Koepka and De Chambeau I was watching sky the other night and both got interviewed asking about each other and the ryder cup . Think it was radar said this has never been seen in golf before is it good or bad for the game .Personally I don't like it and it doesn't belong in golf this attention and arrogance the feud its pathetic.

13 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't like it either. 

It's probs one of the reasons I got more in more into golf and swayed away from football a bit that you never had any this in golf. Also its too American this feud wouldn't see Boab McIntyre and Matt Fitzpatrick like this .

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

True.

I can well imagine that tackling that rough the way these guys do could easily lead to a hurty-hurty; especially if they haven't developed their wrist muscles using my patented exercises.

However, how much wrist does a guy need to put the ball 18 inches? He looked like he was trying to swat a wasp and the ball got in the way.

I feel sorry for him that he's hurt his spanner to the extent that he can't continue but it's not the cause of that bad putt.

How long has golf existed and how recently did people decide that they need to hold the putter differently to every other club?

Yep.  He's got the yips,  pure and simple.  **** all to do with an injury he was able to carry on with.  Making that an excuse for the guy is a total cringe.  

I've hurt my wrist badly on the course before.  It just doesn't have any affect on a putting stroke.  

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

McIlroy is having another shit show.

Will he ever get back to his best because his brain looks scrambled ?

I hope he does.

Im sure he missed a 3 foot putt, toiling, is Bryson coming home yet, needs to relax and stop being so stiff.

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Yeah I do agree with that over Koepka and De Chambeau I was watching sky the other night and both got interviewed asking about each other and the ryder cup . Think it was radar said this has never been seen in golf before is it good or bad for the game .Personally I don't like it and it doesn't belong in golf this attention and arrogance the feud its pathetic.

I think it's Brooks that keeps the beef going. Bryson just goes about his stuff and Brooks always has to chuck in smart arse comments, from what I've seen anyway.

Certainly not ruling out Morikawa by any means but it could be some 36 hole battle between Spieth and Oosthuizen.  Nicklaus/Watson duel in the sun at Turnberry?

Edited by Victorian

Maroon Sailor

The coverage has been pish though - featured groups basically as they only show the odd shot of other players when they hold a long putt for birdie or fire near to the pin

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Spieth joins Morikawa on -9

He could get to 12 or 13 under and take out about 50 players