• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Cruyff

• Victorian

• Samuel Camazzola

Set fair for all 4 days so don't think there will be any advantage with the tee-off times.

Scottie Scheffler, Xander Schauffele and Justin Thomas will be losing me money this year. Had Jon Rahm at 11/1 on the last day at the US Open but far too short a price here. He's the man to beat though obviously.

RustyRightPeg

Cam Smith has a chance I reckon. Always like Morikawa because his irons are so pure. 

I'd like to see Fleetwood win though, a bit of redemption for 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Surprised no-one mentioned Min Woo Lee.

Has a chance as does Lucas Herbert but majors are different gravy

Maroon Sailor
12 hours ago, kila said:

Westwood

His career deserves a major. I think this might be his last chance of getting his name on the Claret Jug.

St Andrews next year will be torn up by Koepka and DeChambeau

Edited by Maroon Sailor

12 hours ago, kila said:

Westwood

Would like to see it, and has had his chances recently, but his putting always deserts him down the stretch.

57 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

His career deserves a major. I think this might be his last chance of getting his name on the Claret Jug.

St Andrews next year will be torn up by Koepka and DeChambeau

Entered the ballot for that yesterday. Hopefully it blows a hoolie and pishes with rain (unless I'm successful in the ballot) and it negates the power of DeChambeau etc. Otherwise you'll unfortunately be spot on.

Edited by JWL

Most Opens tend to be but this feels like a very open field.  You could back about 20 players each way and not get a return.  Royal St.George's can be very tough but shouldn't be at it's most difficult in perfect weather.  If you look back at previous Opens there,  the only standout low rounds by the winner were from Greg Norman in 1993.  An exceptional 4 rounds.  Everthing else in recent Opens has been consistent play.  As usual it's a chipping and putting contest.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Jon Rahm. He’s flying at the moment 

Rahm is playing well but is he patient enough for an Open.

He was going radge at himself last weekend at Renaissance over a few basic mistakes. 

St George's will test him big time 👍

Francis Albert

Just looked at the field. MacIntyre the only Scot in the field? Has there ever been fewer?

Martin Laird often seems to feature in the leader board in the US. Doesn't he qualify?

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Rahm is playing well but is he patient enough for an Open.

He was going radge at himself last weekend at Renaissance over a few basic mistakes. 

St George's will test him big time 👍

One of my mates was marshalling last week.

Rahm disappeared into an on course toilet - commence loud banging and crashing from within.

Security guys appeared thinking there had been some kind of incident😂

Obviously found a new way to control his anger  😨

Looking forward to it. As others have said, this seems wide ‘open’. Have ew bets on Fitzpatrick, Fleetwood, Leishman, Grace and Noren. 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I see nobody has gone for McIlroy yet. 

With good reason. 

Louis Oosthuizen for me but would be chuffed if Westwood won.

Funny thing with McIlroy is that he now tends to win when people least expect it. Wouldn't be surprised if he won dispite having no real recent form

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Looking forward to it. As others have said, this seems wide ‘open’. Have ew bets on Fitzpatrick, Fleetwood, Leishman, Grace and Noren. 

I have those 5 😂. Well that'll be us fecked

Edit - 4 actually, took boozy over Noren

Edited by Jeff

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

My deepest sympathies! 😂

Footballfirst

McIlroy will have to re-learn a couple of things before he contends in a major again.  One is how to play par 5s, as all too often he misses the fairway trying to hit the ball out of sight and ends up with a par 5 at best. Second is to keep 6s off his card as he tends to compound a bad shot with another. Tiger, while he was at number 1, was an expert at taking his medicine and seldom had a double bogey on his card.

Edited by Footballfirst

Maroon Sailor

Bjorn's van de Velde moment. Gifted the jug to Curtis who was leaking water

Byyy The Light
35 minutes ago, Jeff said:

JT, Xander and Fleetwood - bigger bets

Noren, Grace and Detry - outside smaller bets 

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

McIlroy will have to re-learn a couple of things before he contends in a major again.  One is how to play par 5s, as all too often he misses the fairway trying to hit the ball out of sight and ends up with a par 5 at best. Second is to keep 6s off his card as he tends to compound a bad shot with another. Tiger, while he was at number 1, was an expert at taking his medicine and seldom had a double bogey on his card.

Actually an Open is an event when you can 'afford' a couple of doubles over the course of the 72 holes.  It's perhaps not the avoidance of doubles that's the crucial thing.  The crucial thing is how you move on,  consolidate and recover.  If it's set up to be a scoring fest then doubles will be damaging.  But if the winning total is modestly under par or around par then maybe not as much.  Runs of bogeys are at least as costly as the odd rogue double.

St.George's has only 2 par 5s.  Both are modest in length for these players.  But bunker position is key,  along with other hazards.  Maybe somebody will replicate Tiger's famous St.Andrews strategy of tip-toeing around and avoiding bunkers at all costs.  There are 2 lengthy par 3s out of 4 on St.George's.  I reckons these 8 holes will play a big part in who wins.  

Hate golf betting but I've done a few small interest bets to win only.

DJ

Cantlay

Fleetwood

Rose.

Rose must be out of form as he's 66/1.  Way too classy to ever be odds like that.

I've went for Koepka and Casey both e/w.  Would love to see Westwood win but it's passed him by I think.

Oostheizen will be there or thereabouts as usual.

Samuel Camazzola

Lowry, Bryson and Kisner e/w for me. Bryson to surprise a lot this week who think all he can do is bomb and gouge. 

Scoring starting to hot up a bit.  25 players under par already.  Brian Harman threatening to go out in about 30.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

One Scot in the field is lamentable.  There's 26 English.

:vrface:

What happened to us?

Too expensive compared to other sports for kids to get into. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It is and participation had been in decline from a while back.  But somewhere in the past,  something has enabled these 26 English players to qualify to play in the 2021 Open compared to Scotland's 1.  It's a long time since Scotland had a genuine world stage player.  MacIntyre might be the one but there's been a few false dawns.

Harman bogeys 9th to go in 31.  Could be a killer but it could also concentrate him to consolidate and progress.  

33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It is and participation had been in decline from a while back.  But somewhere in the past,  something has enabled these 26 English players to qualify to play in the 2021 Open compared to Scotland's 1.  It's a long time since Scotland had a genuine world stage player.  MacIntyre might be the one but there's been a few false dawns.

It's not just expensive for kids to get into, it's expensive for young tour pros that don't have the financial backing to kick-start their careers. I know a couple lads that are tour pros but ended up as golf coaches or club makers and they've made a living from the game in that sense. One of them did a golf scholarship in America as well. 

But yeah, ultimately it is a very sad reflection of the game here to see only MacIntyre making the grade considering it is essentially our game. Clearly there is something wrong that sport Scotland or other things like that needs to address. 

Edited by Cruyff

The commentator after Rahm gets stuck in the bunker trying to be too adventurous

'Golf us such a greedy game'

Francis Albert
48 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No more expensive than in England, probably less so. You don't need a full set of good clubs to start- in fact working with a few unmatched second hand clubs or even cut down clubs  will probably develop your game better and improve your range of shots once you progress to more and better clubs. Americans benefit from sports scholarships and the like at colleges but the well off benefit mostly. There is really no good excuse for the "home of golf" having only one starter in the Open.

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It's not just expensive for kids to get into, it's expensive for young tour pros that don't have the financial backing to kick-start their careers. I know a couple lads that are tour pros but ended up as golf coaches or club makers and they've made a living from the game in that sense. One of them did a golf scholarship in America as well. 

But yeah, ultimately it is a very sad reflection of the game here to see only MacIntyre making the grade considering it is essentially our game. Clearly there is something wrong that sport Scotland or other things like that needs to address. 

TBF there is a bit of hope for the future.

Grant Forrest, Connor Syme, and Calum Hill are all progressing, and showing up well on the European Tour, although not quite at Major level yet.

You are right though, the number of top players for the home of golf is disappointing.Especially as the game in England is showing quite a resurgence😒

The camera work is particularly poor on day 1.

Struggling to follow the ball through the air on tee shots.

15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

The camera work is particularly poor on day 1.

Struggling to follow the ball through the air on tee shots.

Hate when they switch from the pro tracer camera to the aerial view just before they hit it... I'd rather pro tracer every shot. Especially on windy days, get to see the shape.

Footballfirst
20 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

20 hours ago, Victorian said:

Actually an Open is an event when you can 'afford' a couple of doubles over the course of the 72 holes.  It's perhaps not the avoidance of doubles that's the crucial thing.  The crucial thing is how you move on,  consolidate and recover.  If it's set up to be a scoring fest then doubles will be damaging.  But if the winning total is modestly under par or around par then maybe not as much.  Runs of bogeys are at least as costly as the odd rogue double.

St.George's has only 2 par 5s.  Both are modest in length for these players.  But bunker position is key,  along with other hazards.  Maybe somebody will replicate Tiger's famous St.Andrews strategy of tip-toeing around and avoiding bunkers at all costs.  There are 2 lengthy par 3s out of 4 on St.George's.  I reckons these 8 holes will play a big part in who wins.  

Exhibit A and B by McIlroy on the par 5 7th. 

A wild drive well left, hacked back out onto the fairway, a piss poor iron for his 3rd short and right, indifferent pitch, average two putt from 12 feet. Put a 6 on your card.